Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Let's talk....YEAST/CANDIDA!!

There are a bunch of people on here who are dealing with it and others who wonder if they have this issue.

I thought we could start a thread here, to gather information in one spot.

I, myself, have dealt with it since I was 16 years old.

Was on antibiotics for 2 years straight! My health went down heal from there on.

Tried to do the Anti Candida/yeast diet with Supplements and Dang near killed myself from the "Die off". Quit that, and then found Atkins. As I was looking at Atkins, I realized it was a form of Anti-yeast diet that wouldn't give me the horrible "die off".

That's how my Journey Started and how I got to where I am now.

From this board, I learned about The Wonders of Coconut oil and how they truly help with Candida and also the Wonders of ACV which also is anti yeast.

Anyone else want to jump in here, share what you know, or your own experiences?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Livywilltim-mom
Stats: 208/Jan 14/183/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 9, 2014
Subscribing to learn how to help DD and myself.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I really like Udo Erasmus Super 8 High Potency Probiotics-it is formulated to help with yeast issues. Here's some info about it

"Beneficial bacteria, pathogenic bacteria and yeast should
balance each other out in the intestines. However, when the
balance is disrupted by modern diet, chlorinated water,
stress or medications, a yeast overgrowth may occur,
causing, leaky gut syndrome and resulting in digestion
problems, allergies and auto immune disorders. Super 8
has been specially formulated to be effective against this
yeast overgrowth known as Candida.
The specific strains used in Super 8 have been specially
chosen for their value to upper bowel health and have been
formulated to the appropriate viable count.

• Formulated to address yeast imbalance & leaky gut
syndrome.

• Inhibits the bacteria involved in vaginal and urinary tract
infections.

Ingredients: Each vegetarian capsule is guaranteed to contain not less than 30 billion
total viable cells (at time of manufacture) of:

Lactobacillus acidophilus....................................... .................................................. .......45%
Lactobacillus rhamnosus .................................................. ..............................................25%
Streptococcus thermophilus...................................... .................................................. ....10%
Lactobacillus plantarum......................................... .................................................. .........7%
Bifidobacterium bifidum .................................................. ................................................6%
Bifidobacterium longum .................................................. ................................................3%
Lactobacillus bulgaricus .................................................. ................................................3%
Lactobacillus salivarius .................................................. .................................................. 1%

In a base of: micro-crystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate and ascorbic acid.
Suggested Use: Consume one capsule per day on a full stomach to maintain healthy
intestinal flora or three capsules per day on a full stomach as a therapeutic treatment
when suffering from intestinal disorders."
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Moving On
Stats: 154.5/changing/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2006
[COLOR="Purple"]Tooter, you mentioned in another thread that peanuts and cheese are known to promote yeast overgrowth. What other foods should somebody with these problems avoid?[/COLOR]
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

The Yeast Connection Yeast-Fighting Program

Q. How does coconut oil work against yeast infections?
A. Coconut oil has several unique properties that make it an excellent treatment for yeast infections.

Among the most potent natural yeast-fighting substances are lauric acid and caprylic acid, both derived from coconut oil.

All medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil kill yeast, viruses and bacteria.

Some of these substances are stronger against one type of organism and some work better against others, so when all these elements combine forces in this unique type of oil, they become a daunting weapon against dysbiosis.

When I began researching coconut oil, I noticed that many patients mentioned they were getting relief from a wide variety of symptoms, including fatigue, joint pain, irritability and recurrent bladder infections.

Of course, you’re aware that people suffering from candida infections often complain of precisely these symptoms.

That’s when I realized that the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil must be killing candida in the intestinal tract.

Medium chain fatty acids penetrate cell membranes. They’re used as food to produce energy in beneficial cells of all sorts. But when they’re absorbed by an organism that is not beneficial, they penetrate the cell membrane and weaken the cell, so it just disintegrates. Then white blood cells go in a gobble up the waste material.

I recommend taking a good quality coconut oil if you’re suffering from yeast problems because it contains a full spectrum of antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that can handle the many varieties of organisms that may be affecting you.

Many people get very good results taking about 3.5 tablespoons of a high quality organic extra virgin coconut oil daily.

If you have been suffering from candidiasis for a long time or if your case is particularly severe, it may be necessary to combine your coconut oil regimen with prescription antifungal medications.

Of course, you’ll need to adhere to the basic anti-candida diet, since diet and medications are the only methods assured to stop fungal overgrowth.

Q. Will coconut oil cause die-off like other anti-fungals?

A. If you’re familiar with candida, you’ll also be familiar with the term “die-off.” This refers to the flu-like symptoms some people experience when they start to detoxify and large numbers of fungal organisms begin to die and release their toxins into your bloodstream.

This is a sign your treatment plan is working and it should encourage you to continue. However, many people give up at this stage, thinking their condition is worsening.

For some people, the symptoms of die-off can be quite intense while, for others, the disturbance is minor.

Die-off rarely lasts more than a few days and can be managed by increasing your fluids and planning a light schedule for those first days.

Q. What are some other conditions that coconut oil can help?

Coconut oil is also a very effective remedy for fungal infections of the skin.

Diaper rash, usually caused by candida organisms, can often be cleared completely with external application of coconut oil.

It’s also a good flu prevention measure if you begin taking a tablespoon of coconut oil every two hours at the first sign of flu symptoms. In most cases, the flu will disappear overnight.

Q. Will coconut oil complement the anti-candida diet?

A. Absolutely, and I have a detoxification program that will psweed up your recovery.

If you’re suffering from candida overgrowth, I strongly recommend the coconut oil detox described in my latest book, Coconut Cures.

I’ll warn you, this is an intense detoxification, but it can produce equally powerful improvements.

On this seven-day fast, you’ll eat primarily coconut oil throughout the day. You may add a little unsweetened yogurt and a couple of drops of stevia and a little sugarless lemonade to help promote the cleansing.

In seven days, people achieve fantastic results, killing off all the harmful microorganisms and leaving the beneficial ones alone.

The cleanse is not only good for candida infections, it can also help clear up serious digestive problems.

I know of one medical doctor who suffered from Crohn’s disease (a potentially life-threatening intestinal disorder) for two years, trying every available remedy.

When he finally tried the coconut oil detox, his symptoms disappeared within a week.

Q. How can I tell if I’m getting the best coconut oil?

A. When you’re buying coconut oil, be sure to look for organic extra virgin food grade varieties. Others are highly processed and won’t give you the same benefits.

If you are familiar with coconut oil you know it naturally has a high melting point. At 76 degrees F and lower it becomes solid, at higher temperatures it turns into a liquid. It’s much like butter, when it’s in the refrigerator it’s solid, but you leave it out on a hot day, it melts.

High quality virgin coconut oil should be snow white in color when it is solid and water clear when liquid. If you see any shade of yellow or gray, it is of an inferior quality.
Pure coconut oil is colorless. Any discoloration is a sign of contamination which can come from mold or smoke residue.

If old or sun-dried coconuts are used to make oil it, will almost always contain mold. The mold isn’t considered harmful because temperatures used in processing are high enough to essentially sterilize it.

If the heat used comes from open flames from wood or gas fuel smoke can be absorbed into the oil.

In choosing a coconut oil, consider aroma and flavor. Virgin coconut oils should always retain a coconut smell and taste. If not, they have been highly refined. If they have no flavor, they are essentially refined and processed oil, even if they did come from fresh coconut.

Finally, consider the price. You get what you pay for. Obviously, a very inexpensive oil is going to be of inferior quality. From my experience, the cheapest oils are the most disagreeable tasting, and usually tainted with residual contaminants.

A word of caution: Classification is voluntary at this point. So anyone can claim to have “extra” virgin coconut oil. Some brands that say “extra virgin coconut oil” are not raw or centrifuged. Again, take the taste test to find out.

Q How can I use coconut oil in my diet?

A Among the beauties of coconut oil is that you can cook and fry with it, bake with it and use it as-is.

Many people like to blend it into a morning health drink or smoothie and enjoy the light coconut taste. Coconut oil can be used in tea or coffee and blended into soups and casseroles.

Because coconut oil is naturally solid at room temperature, it’s not a good choice for salad dressings unless it’s mixed with another oil such as olive oil.

It is also a stable oil that can sit on your shelf for months without becoming rancid.

I’ve had patients express concern about the extra calories they are taking in using coconut oil—probably more than 300 calories a day.

However, this should not be a worry, since ample clinical research shows that a single meal containing coconut oil actually helps raise the metabolic rate by as much as 48% for a full 24 hours after you eat it, burning calories faster and actually helping you lose weight.

In fact, if you have weight concerns, as do many people suffering from yeast overgrowth, coconut oil is probably one of the best additions you can make to your diet.

Coconut oil has actually been shown to help you feel full sooner and stay full longer, keeping you from feeling hungry between meals.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #6

Yeast Diet | Natural Detox from Candida Albicans Yeast Overgrowth
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyJ View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]Tooter, you mentioned in another thread that peanuts and cheese are known to promote yeast overgrowth. What other foods should somebody with these problems avoid?[/COLOR]
Foods to Avoid | The Candida Diet

They don't want you to eat anything that promotes mold.

NOW...Remember, I tried the Candida diet and it almost killed me. lol

I will eat cheese, but I don't eat a lot of it.

I will eat almonds, but not a lot of it. We tend to go over board on eating these things and it's important to find a balance.

I did atkins so I could control the yeast and at the same time, LIVE.

It says to avoid vinegar....But the exception to the rule is ACV. Raw Apple cider vinegar is very anti yeast (unlike other vinegars). I also found that other vinegars didn't effect me if I ate them.

So, basically what I found out, on my own and for me, is that Atkins really is the way to go and just limit my cheese and nuts. Nuts aren't as bad as Peanuts. Of coarse peanuts aren't really a nut, they are a legume, that has a lot of mold, naturally on it's shell.

Mainly, I have NO symptoms if I don't eat grains and don't over do nuts.

Too much cheese doesn't cause me symptoms, but it does cause me to gain.

These are things that each of you have to find out, about yourself.

Fiber Supplements tend to Feed the yeast in your gut. OMG!!! I had to learn that the hard way.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
Peanuts and cheese are to be avoided because the cheese is a mold, and peanuts do carry some as well.

Other things to avoid besides the obvious (SUGAR) might be dairy, mushrooms., soy sauce, fruit, vinegar* (and foods using it like pickles, mustard, BBQ sauce etc.), foods that contain gluten and yeast.

*Apple cider vinegar WITH THE MOTHER, the pure unpasteurized stuff is not included.. but regular grocery store ACV is not good.

Oil of Oregano is also something you could try.. a few drops in a glass of water. (nasty.... )

i have spend hundred of dollars on 'regimes', it all started with a breast reduction (didn't help...)

drinks made of clay and psyllium
three-lac (bought over the internet.. $$$)
diflucan (perscription)
oil of oregano

really the only thing that has helped (knock on wood) get rid of my rash has been to go super low carb and add CO to my diet.

If any one is interested, and has a yeast rash (under their breast or elsewhere in their body folds) let me know. Mine went OUT OF CONTROL a few weeks ago, and I think it was maybe the last dying breaths of it (I hope...) I bit the bullet and ordered a cream off of the internet from Australia on a whim, and it is the very first thing I have ever put on it that made it not only stop itching and eating my skin, but within a week the rash is freaking GONE!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: dae_tona
Stats: 186/124 5'0 size 2 in misses/sz 7 in juniors
WOE: Eating like a thin person
Start Date: Feb 2002/Maintaining since May 2004
The first day I tried coconut oil-I put 1 tsp in my coffee. That's all it took for me to feel horrible for a week...however, I continued to increase my CO...but after that one week...I fekt fine...and in the process, I dropped 7 lbs just by adding in the CO.

So CO can raise your metabolism? No wonder they tell me with hypothyroid to take it. I can see why now.

Dyan
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #10

I'll give a little more on my story.

First of all, I was anorexic and Bulimic at about 14. That right there would cause a problem in my flora.

At 16 I went on Antibiotics for Acne for 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of coarse I got yeast infections. The doctor just told me to eat yogurt for a week. That's it.

At this point I actually thought I had mono and had the Doctor test me. I was so tired all the time. The doctor tested me. Nope, it must be all in your head.

I got married at 20. I was no longer anorexic or bulimic, but I was very thin. Eating caused me pain, bloating...etc.

Had my first child at 21. I actually had 4 sons in 6 years (That right there could cause another imbalance). I would eat like a pig while I was pregnant. I wanted to make sure the baby was getting enough to eat. I would put on 50 to 60 lbs and it would be gone 2 months after the babies were born. I also had been on birth control pills (another huge factor) in between babies. They didn't work on me. Doctor didn't tell me that if my IBS would switch to diarrhea, I wouldn't be "covered" by the pills.

My last child, I only gained about 20 lbs and I looked like the life was being sucked out of me. 3 days after he was born, I was wearing my normal Jeans.

After my 4th child, I was thinner then ever. I looked like death warmed over twice!!! I went to doctors for IBS and all they could do is give me pain pills.

They didn't work and made me feel worse. I found I didn't want to eat, because Eating equaled Pain.

I also never got female yeast infections at this point. I was WELL past that stage.

I also had developed Thrush on my tongue, but it had changed. It no longer was the Yeast Bud, but had changed to a Spore (Yeast can and will Morph in your body). I looked like I had shag carpeting on my tongue. I was very depressed, in pain, and I could go to bed a half hour after I woke up. Day to day life, was hard.

By this time I had done some reading about Candida. I knew I had it. I tried the anti Candida Diet with supplements. I wasn't prepared for how drastic the die off would be. OMG, it was horrible. I felt horrible enough, who wanted to feel worse??? Depression got greater. I stopped the Anti yeast diet.

Finally my husband had said he "HAD IT" and wanted me to go to the Doctor. I didn't want to go. My experience with them is that they didn't know what was wrong with me, nor how to treat it. I also knew that Most doctors don't believe in systemic Candida.

Well, there was this huge fight with hubby (He was upset, worried about me and felt helpless).

I went to the Doctor.

I got up my courage and told him what I had.

He laughed at me and in a mocking tone said "You can't have systemic yeast, unless you have Aids, Diabetes or Cancer".

I said, "Ok, then what in the heck is on my tongue"? You could see the shock on his face. It wasn't the Thrush he was taught in Medical school. He went white and said "I don't know, but if it's yeast...these pills will kill it. Just take them for 8 days".

I wanted to SCREAM!!! He was clueless. I said "Ok, what about diet and how will we deal with this after the pills"?

He said "Nope, no diet...The pills will kill it and it will be done".

I came home (hubby was watching the kids while I was at the doctor) I ran to our bedroom, threw myself on the bed and cried my heart out.

Hubby didn't know what to do, he was upset...

I told Him I wasn't going to do what the Doctor said, because the Doctor was a clueless idiot. I told him about the pills and that I was NOT going to take them. If I took them, I would be sicker then ever, the yeast would leave my tongue and on the 9th day, it would be back and I would be sicker then before".

Hubby threw a FIT. Told me "You think you are as smart as the Doctor? When did you go to medical School"?

OH, That was IT!! I said "FINE, I'll do what the doctor told me to do...and when it comes to pass just like I said...YOU will never tell me what to do again, and let me figure this out on my own"!!!

So, I did it. OMG, I Was so damn Sick. The Fungus left my tongue and showed back up on the 9th day (when the pills were done). I also was WAY sicker then I was before.

My husband cried, and agreed that I knew more then the Doctors at this point. He just couldn't stand seeing me this way.

I went on my way...And then I gained weight. Yeast can make you too thin or it can make you gain weight. It also can switch on you in a heart beat with the weight.

The yeast will also Switch symptoms on you. Obviously, I was gaining and the IBS wasn't as bad. I developed other symptoms.

I thought about trying the Anti yeast diet again. I just couldn't bear the thought of the extreme die off from it.

It was then that I found Low carb, and decided to try it. That was 1999??

To say that I have my health back is an understatement!!! God Bless, Dr. Atkins! Oh, and I don't have shag carpeting on my tongue any more.

I finally feel like I did, before I turned 16 and this entire mess started.

Last edited by Tooter; 09-11-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Purple"]OMG, Tooter!!!!! You have been through way too much!! You are obviously REALLY knowledgable on this subject and I will definitely listen to your advice! I don't know if my problem is yeast or not, but I have had a rash on the back of my neck since I was 18 and the doctors have diagnosed me with 3 different things, never curing it, just calming it and then it will flare again, similar to what Prozak described. I'm heading to the healthfood store after taking my DD to school this morning for probiotics and ACV. Thank you for taking the time to educate me this morning. [/COLOR]
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]OMG, Tooter!!!!! You have been through way too much!! You are obviously REALLY knowledgable on this subject and I will definitely listen to your advice! I don't know if my problem is yeast or not, but I have had a rash on the back of my neck since I was 18 and the doctors have diagnosed me with 3 different things, never curing it, just calming it and then it will flare again, similar to what Prozak described. I'm heading to the healthfood store after taking my DD to school this morning for probiotics and ACV. Thank you for taking the time to educate me this morning. [/COLOR]
Honey, I would lay MONEY on you having yeast issues.

Actually, from all the antibiotics and drugs we have been given...about 70% of Americans have yeast issues. Mix that with the typical American Diet...And you can see where the problem comes from.

We'll try to get more information in this thread, to help you read up on it and see if and where you fit into this "yeast" thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: whatjelly
Stats: 225/188/140
WOE: ZC
Start Date: back at it: July 2009
And thanks from me as well!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #14

Here's a list of yeast related symptoms:

incapacitating fatigue
concentration/focus problems
short term memory
painful joints
muscle aches
extreme tightness in the neck and shoulders
acid reflux
brown colored mucus in the back of the throat
white or blood blisters in the mouth/tongue/throat
unrefreshing sleep
sore throat
white coated tongue
aversion to be touched - "crawling" skin
chronic sinusitis
frequent urination
diarrhea
chronic constipation
headaches including migraines
visual blurring
sensitivity to light
eye pain
depression
irritability
anxiety
panic attacks
personality changes
mood swings
chills
night sweats
canker sores
shortness of breath
hypertension/high blood pressure
dizziness and balance problems
sensitivity to heat/cold
alcohol intolerance
gluten intolerance
irregular heartbeat
irritable bowel
constipation and/or diarrhea
painful gas/abdominal bloating
low grade fever or low body temperature
numbness/tingling in the face or extremities
dryness of mouth and eyes
difficulty swallowing
projectile vomiting
menstrual problems (PMS/endometriosis)
recurrent yeast infections
recurrent ear infections
skin rashes
dry/flaking skin
eczema
dermatitis
acne
skin discoloration/blotchiness
dandruff
jock and rectal itching
chronic athlete's foot
chronic toenail and fingernail fungus
ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
allergies
sensitivity to noise/sounds
sensitivity to foods
sensitivity to chemicals
sensitivity to odors
anemia
weight changes without changes in diet
lightheadedness
feeling in a fog
fainting
muscle twitching
muscle weakness
jerky-leg syndrome
low sex drive
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
As a life-long asthmatic and allergy sufferer, I KNOW I have yeast, because I've been on antibiotics more times than I can count or remember--even as recently as last month. Ugh. But the doc (and my DH, who's a microbiologist) doesn't believe that systemic yeast exists. They both think that your natural flora "regulates itself" and that yeast overgrowth is a myth. Lovely.

SO....After suffering all summer with the rashes like Prozak mentioned, I'm back on LC, taking oil of oregano softgels, acidophilus complex at meals and eating CO in some form every day. After just two days of that, the bloating across my tummy went down considerably--not to mention how much better I was feeling! And I learned it all HERE--on these boards!

If you've ever had allergy testing and tested positive for mold, your symptoms will be even worse. I tested VERY high for mold allergy, and the allergy doc said to avoid yeast (bread), mushrooms and cheese. But he gave no other suggestions. Of course.

If if wasn't for folks like Tooter and Prozak and others on this board, I would never have had the guts (pun intended) to start treating myself! Thanks for starting this thread!!!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
As a life-long asthmatic and allergy sufferer, I KNOW I have yeast, because I've been on antibiotics more times than I can count or remember--even as recently as last month. Ugh. But the doc (and my DH, who's a microbiologist) doesn't believe that systemic yeast exists. They both think that your natural flora "regulates itself" and that yeast overgrowth is a myth. Lovely.

SO....After suffering all summer with the rashes like Prozak mentioned, I'm back on LC, taking oil of oregano softgels, acidophilus complex at meals and eating CO in some form every day. After just two days of that, the bloating across my tummy went down considerably--not to mention how much better I was feeling! And I learned it all HERE--on these boards!

If you've ever had allergy testing and tested positive for mold, your symptoms will be even worse. I tested VERY high for mold allergy, and the allergy doc said to avoid yeast (bread), mushrooms and cheese. But he gave no other suggestions. Of course.

If if wasn't for folks like Tooter and Prozak and others on this board, I would never have had the guts (pun intended) to start treating myself! Thanks for starting this thread!!!
I'm so glad you are feeling better!!!!! I have not tried the "Oil of Oregano" yet, but I have read so many wonderful things about it.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="Purple"]Okay. I'm back and I got the Now brand of acidophilus. It says to take it on an empty stomach but I've read where some of you are taking it with meals? [/COLOR]
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Here's a list of yeast related symptoms:

incapacitating fatigue
concentration/focus problems
short term memory
painful joints
muscle aches
extreme tightness in the neck and shoulders
acid reflux
brown colored mucus in the back of the throat
white or blood blisters in the mouth/tongue/throat
unrefreshing sleep
sore throat
white coated tongue
aversion to be touched - "crawling" skin
chronic sinusitis
frequent urination
diarrhea
chronic constipation
headaches including migraines
visual blurring
sensitivity to light
eye pain
depression
irritability
anxiety
panic attacks
personality changes
mood swings
chills
night sweats
canker sores
shortness of breath
hypertension/high blood pressure
dizziness and balance problems
sensitivity to heat/cold
alcohol intolerance
gluten intolerance
irregular heartbeat
irritable bowel
constipation and/or diarrhea
painful gas/abdominal bloating
low grade fever or low body temperature
numbness/tingling in the face or extremities
dryness of mouth and eyes
difficulty swallowing
projectile vomiting
menstrual problems (PMS/endometriosis)
recurrent yeast infections
recurrent ear infections
skin rashes
dry/flaking skin
eczema
dermatitis
acne
skin discoloration/blotchiness
dandruff
jock and rectal itching
chronic athlete's foot
chronic toenail and fingernail fungus
ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
allergies
sensitivity to noise/sounds
sensitivity to foods
sensitivity to chemicals
sensitivity to odors
anemia
weight changes without changes in diet
lightheadedness
feeling in a fog
fainting
muscle twitching
muscle weakness
jerky-leg syndrome
low sex drive
Great list, Lisa. Just wanted to add this:

Candida condition may also be an underlying factor in the following diseases. However, it is often not diagnosed, misdiagnosed, disputed to even exist or is disregarded all together.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction
Fibromyalgia Syndrome
Lupus Hypothyroidism
Crohn's Disease
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Celiac Disease
Chronic Sinusitis
Atopic Eczema
GI dysbiosis
Adrenal dysfunction
Rosacea
Psoriasis
Macular Degeneration
Barret's Esophagus
Lactose Intolerance
Meniere's Disease
Depression
Alzheimer's

It may even be related to things like:

Autism
ADHD
ADD
Headaches/migraines
Fatigue
Schizophrenia
Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]Okay. I'm back and I got the Now brand of acidophilus. It says to take it on an empty stomach but I've read where some of you are taking it with meals? [/COLOR]

I just recently started taking probiotics again. I know, I was reading the same THING!!! It's confusing.

From what I am gathering... The Theory on taking it with meals is so that there is a better chance for it to live and survive?? Might have to do with the PH levels in our gut???

I have been taking it right before My meals (or along with them).

I think the important thing is for us to just "start" and to keep reading, learning and go from there.

Anyone else want to jump in here and let us pick your brains?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #20

I have read it depends what brand and type of probiotic you take Tooter-you should follow your brands instructions at first before changing or tweaking when you take it.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
I have read it depends what brand and type of probiotic you take Tooter-you should follow your brands instructions at first before changing or tweaking when you take it.
Sounds like sound advice. I have one that is to be taken WITH meals and one that isn't.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Tooter, the oil of oregano softgels aren't too expensive, and they're small & easy to swallow. The only downside to them is that sometimes you feel like you're burping pizza for a while after you take them! But I suppose if you like the taste of Italian food, it's not an issue...

I went for the softgels, because I didn't think I could stomach the drops in water. But YMMV.

My acidophilus complex says to take one daily with a meal, so I keep them at work and have one with my lunch. I've only been using them for a week, but like I said, things are already better.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #23

Medical Library and Physician's Directory, Health Information - Yeast Syndrome

Yeast Syndrome
by Ron Kennedy, M.D., Santa Rosa, CA

Dr. Kennedy

If you have this health problem, to rid yourself of it you must first wrap your mind around the complete cause and know at a deep level how it develops and evolves. If you fail to accomplish this you will fall for every fad treatment which hits the market and never be rid of this terrible disease. For this reason, I have written several related articles on this condition and I urge you to read and reread all of them.

Treatment of Immune System Dysregulation

I will begin with the most important aspect of the mis-named "yeast syndrome," namely treatment. Many thousands of people are suffering from this complex of symptoms which are all due to the toxic effects of extreme dysbiosis. Almost all treatment approaches suppress but do not cure. I aim for (and usually achieve) a final cure and to this end I have replaced traditional therapies for "yeast syndrome" with the German SanPharma and Pekana remedies. Why? Because they work, are simple and straight forward and the old therapies do not work but rather leave people trapped in treatment for a lifetime. You can read the traditional description of this syndrome below, or you can go directly to a more dynamic, cure oriented discussion in this article: "Yeast Syndrome," High Resolution Blood Morphology, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, and The SanPharma Protocol. In short, the immune system must be set back to balance for any hope of cure. Killing a few microorganisms with antibiotics or herbs or trying to crowd them out with "good bacteria" will not produce a cure and only prolongs the illness while suppressing a few symptoms if you are lucky.

The Yeast Syndrome, also known as chronic candidiasis, the chronic candida syndrome, and candida related complex is still unaccepted by some medical doctors. The habit of the medical establishment, in general, is to not accept as real any symptom complex which they do not understand. The effects of chronic dysbiosis in the intestine are so widespread in the body that it does not at first seem logical that one thing could cause all this. Many patients are branded hypochondriac, malingering, neurotic, hysteric, depressed, or some combination of these conditions, who appear in doctors' offices with this complex, confusing symptomatology. One of the symptoms is irritability and this quality has tended to alienate doctors, leaving both doctor and patient frustrated. Also, doctors are accustomed to think that if routine blood tests show nothing, then nothing is wrong. Chronic dysbiosis, in fact, shows nothing on routine blood tests.

The incidence of "yeast syndrome" is remarkably high. In my practice signs and symptoms suggesting this diagnosis are present in ½ of new patients. This can be attributed to the commonness of factors thought to lead to a predisposition to this health problem. The three most important factors favoring the development of this syndrome are the presence of dental amalgam and resultant mercury toxicity, the use (and overuse) of antibiotics and the high carbohydrate content of the typical western diet. Genetic predisposition is also an important factor and explains why everyone who has amalgams, overuses antibiotics, and overconsumes carbs does not have this problem. With the exception of genetic predisposition, all of these predisposing factors are widely prevalent in the modern western world and both favor the growth of yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria, that is to say dysbiosis. In this article, when I write "yeast," I am referring to all three - yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria. Persistent bloating and flatulence unrelated to specific foods are the consistent symptoms. Fatigue and sometimes persistent muscle pain are common.

Antibiotics, especially Tetracycline and Erythromycin (but also many others), long used at the drop of a hat by doctors eager for a simple answer to complex health problems, kill off bacteria which are needed for normal digestion. In their relative absence intestinal yeast are able to proliferate beyond their normal bounds. Add to this the excessive intake of not only simple sugars but "high glycemic index" carbohydrates such as breads, pastas, potatoes, and rice which convert to simple sugars in short order, and yeast organisms and their friends are provided with their basic food group. Under these conditions yeast can proliferate and cause symptoms even in people with normal immune systems.

Symptoms of yeast syndrome are caused by the normal byproducts of yeast metabolism. Candida (yeast) has been found to produce 79 distinct toxins. The human body must dispose of these toxins. They easily diffuse throughout the body and no organ system is immune to the effects they produce.

Yeast, once it takes hold in the intestinal mucosa, is difficult to eliminate and if eliminated, tends to return over and over. You must chain yourself to a certain diet to have a hope of controlling symptoms and you have no hope, but dietary methods, of achieving an actual cure. Once having dominated the intestinal mucosa, yeast renders the mucosa incompetent to regulate the entry of intestinal micro-organisms into the intestine. This circumstance is called the "leaky gut syndrome&quot. Long chain polypeptides (partially digested proteins) leak into the circulation. These molecules can set off the immune system into inappropriate action as they are recognized as "foreign" by the immune system. The antibodies which are produced against these polypeptide antigens may attack host tissue and this accounts for some, perhaps all, autoimmune diseases such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, just to name a few. Through microscopic temporary holes in the gut wall micro-organisms invade the gut wall itself: yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria which set up shop in the immune cells (lymphoid tissue or "Peyer's patches") located in the gut wall (where 80% of the immune system resides). The toxins produced by these organisms disable the immune system of the gut and it, in turn, looses its ability to regulate the gut flora and thus dysbiosis burrows its way even deeper into the system. If you fully understand what your just read, you are ahead of 99.9% of physicians.

Symptoms of Yeast Syndrome

No one individual will have all of the following symptoms. However, the presence of only a few which cannot be explained in another way should raise the index of suspicion for for "yeast syndrome" to a high level.

* Fatigue or lethargy
* Feeling of being drained
* Depression or manic depression
* Numbness, burning, or tingling
* Headaches
* Muscle Aches
* Muscle weakness or paralysis
* Pain and/or swelling in joints
* Abdominal Pain
* Constipation and/or diarrhea
* Bloating, belching or intestinal gas
* Troublesome vaginal burning, itching or discharge in women
* Prostatitis in men
* Impotence
* Loss of sexual desire or feeling
* Endometriosis or infertility
* Cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities
* Premenstrual tension
* Attacks of anxiety or crying
* Cold hands or feet, low body temperature
* Hypothyroidism
* Shaking or irritable when hungry
* Cystitis or interstitial cystitis
* Drowsiness
* Irritability
* Poor coordination
* Frequent mood swings
* Insomnia
* Dizziness/loss of balance
* Pressure above ears...feeling of head swelling
* Sinus problems...tenderness of cheekbones or forehead
* Tendency to bruise easy
* Eczema, itching eyes
* Psoriasis
* Chronic hives (urticaria)
* Indigestion or heartburn
* Sensitivity to milk, wheat, corn or other common foods
* Mucous in stools
* Rectal itching
* Dry mouth or throat
* Mouth rashes including white tongue
* Bad breath
* Foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing
* Nasal congestion or post nasal drip
* Nasal itching
* Sore throat
* Laryngitis, loss of voice
* Cough or recurrent bronchitis
* Pain or tightness in chest
* Wheezing or shortness of breath
* Urinary frequency or urgency
* Burning on urination
* Spots in front of eyes or erratic vision
* Burning or tearing eyes
* Recurrent infections or fluid in ears
* Ear pain or deafness
* Inability to concentrate
* Skin problems (hives, athlete's foot, fungus infection of the nails, jock itch, psoriasis (including of the scalp) or other chronic skin rashes)
* Gastrointestinal symptoms (constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, or bloating)
* Symptoms involving the reproductive organs
* Muscular and nervous system symptoms (including aching or swelling in your muscles and joints, numbness, burning or tingling, muscle weakness or paralysis)
* Recurrent ear problems resulting in antibiotic therapy
* Respiratory symptoms
* Lupus
* Hyperactivity/Attention Deficit Disorder
* Recurrent vaginal yeast infections in women
* High sugar foods drastically increase symptoms
* Inflammation of the hair follicles (candidiasis folliculitis) of various parts of the body (feet, legs, arms)
* Extreme lethargy
* Diarrhea, chronic gas, abdominal cramps alleviated by bowel movements. Perhaps labeled with the term "irritable bowel syndrome"
* Lactose intolerance
* Anxiety
* Allergies and allergy symptoms, chemical sensitivities
* Panic attacks
* Sinus problems
* Eye fatigue
* Muscle weakness and bone pain
* White tongue coating
* Psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff, dry, itchy skin
* Rectal itching
* Swollen lips/face
* Symptoms worse after waking
* Facial rash
* Avoiding food helps to alleviate symptoms
* Hives
* Chronic inflammation and irritation of the eye and conjunctiva
* Feeling of being intoxicated which leads to a "hangover feeling" (due to fermentation and alcohol production by yeast)
* Obsessive compulsive symptoms
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
Tooter, the oil of oregano softgels aren't too expensive, and they're small & easy to swallow. The only downside to them is that sometimes you feel like you're burping pizza for a while after you take them! But I suppose if you like the taste of Italian food, it's not an issue...

I went for the softgels, because I didn't think I could stomach the drops in water. But YMMV.

My acidophilus complex says to take one daily with a meal, so I keep them at work and have one with my lunch. I've only been using them for a week, but like I said, things are already better.
I think I'll try the softgels too. I'll wait a little bit (don't want to make too many changes at once) and then I'll give them a try.

Thank you.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #25

Pau D'Arco is used to treat candida and is in many yeast cleanses as well as the oil of oregano.

Pau d'Arco Benefits and Cautions Explained Before You Buy
Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Pau D'Arco is used to treat candida and is in many yeast cleanses as well as the oil of oregano.

Pau d'Arco Benefits and Cautions Explained Before You Buy
I think that's what I took YEARS ago, when I tried the anti-candida diet as a Natural anti-fungle
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #27

Stop Systemic Yeast - Low Carbers

Here is a person who tried the low carb diet and then stopped losing weight because of the "yeast/candida" problem. They still are doing low carb, but needed some extra help, because of Candida.

They even quote Dr. "A" in his book about Candida!

A lot of different info and I think with people doing low carb and having some problems...This just might help.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Thanks for such wonderful information. I'm certain I have yeast problems (gee, wonder how I come that conclusion just because I get a lot of the rashes that are cleared with Nystatin, and always seem to come with a little carb indulgence). Reading the list of symptons, I also burp (way too much, and does not matter what I'm eating or drinking). Then drowsiness was mentioned and even though I now have an auto CPAP and am feeling much much better, I still fall asleep at work (fortunately, my supervisor is working with me on this).

Since I just started ACV (and yes I have the one with the mother), will be interesting to see how that helps.

I do recall a doctor many long years ago when I have my first vaginal yeast infection told me that I wouldn't be able to lose weight as long as I had the infection. So, guess it could help explain why losing weight is such a battle.

Again, thanks to all for the wonderful information and links.

Sheryl
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Wow...your post made me cry, Tooter!
My sister had yeast issues for years and is getting so much relief from a LC-ish diet. I am so glad you are as well, and so thankful you shared your story with us!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandi76
Stats: 236/214.5/180
Start Date: May 15th 2008
So what would be the first thing you would reccomend a person do if they feel they have yeast? CO?
Closed Thread