Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #1741
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aunt Sheshie
WOE: CLA/GLA
Thanks, IdahoAngel, for the nice welcome & for the great tips on ways to use coconut oil... I've tried oil pulling before, but didn't stick with it... I might start putting it on my toothbrush & see how that goes... I've also used it as my only body "lotion" for a couple of years... I love it for that & have recommended it to friends & family... most think I'm bonkers, but a few have tried it & agree that it's great... one of my friends recently tried it on her hubby's back where he had had some surgery & the area around the stitches was red & yucky... the CO cleared it up in less than a day...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #1742

Gallery: therisamarie
I went out and purchased the EVCO today, it is solid like lard, how do you 'mix' it with water to consume it?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #1743
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
If it's solid, you can make tea and put a spoonful in - it melts almost immediately. Or you can put your container of coconut oil in a bowl of hot water and it will liquify, just make sure the water only comes up about 1/2 way up the sides of your coconut oil container.

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-19-2009 at 04:27 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #1744

Thank you, how long does it take to feel the effects and actually know that this is working...

thanks again
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #1745
Major LCF Poster!

I never really noticed any effects from taking it other than feeling a little warm and had a bit more energy. I pretty much only use it for cooking and as a facial moisturizer.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #1746
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I never really noticed any effects from taking it other than feeling a little warm and had a bit more energy. I pretty much only use it for cooking and as a facial moisturizer.
I haven't felt any affects of it working either though I have gotten a feeling when I have over done it

Wait, I take that back - my skin is much softer from taking it internally. I don't use it externally. I am sure that if it is affecting my skin then it is helping me in other ways as well it's just not all that noticeable.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #1747
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, you definitely know when you've over done it.

Softer skin, definitely!

I forgot this was on the candida thread. If you have candida overgrowth you will probably feel pretty cruddy for a few days as the coconut oil kills off some of the yeast.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #1748
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I forgot this was on the candida thread. If you have candida overgrowth you will probably feel pretty cruddy for a few days as the coconut oil kills off some of the yeast.
That is if you have severe candida symptoms. I don't really have any ongoing symptoms, I just knew I had it cause I break out in hives when I eat certain things and only while eating LC. So I didn't have any noticeable die off symptoms.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #1749
Major LCF Poster!

I had some die off symptoms, but I was doing the candida diet and coconut oil (and grapefruit seed extract). I had to ease off of the GSE and coconut oil, and just resumed regular LC eating because I felt so cruddy. I may tackle the candida diet again at some point, but I've felt amazing since I started drinking kombucha.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #1750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I had some die off symptoms, but I was doing the candida diet and coconut oil (and grapefruit seed extract). I had to ease off of the GSE and coconut oil, and just resumed regular LC eating because I felt so cruddy. I may tackle the candida diet again at some point, but I've felt amazing since I started drinking kombucha.
A week or so ago, I doubled up my CO because I forgot to take it in the morning. Big mistake. Since then, I have not been feeling all that well after I take my normal morning and evening dosages (especially after my evening dose) so I have backed off the CO for a couple of days and my stomach is not as quesy, but like you, I am also doing Kombucha. And although I don't notice the benefits of kombucha any more than the CO, it is by far more pleasant to take (although my mom thinks it tastes like vinegar) Believe me, compared to Bragg's this is the kombucha is the nectar of the Gods! She doesn't know vinegar!

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #1751
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! I know how you feel, my mom said the same thing - EEK, how can you drink that it smells like vinegar! I actually crave KT in the morning when I wake up. It helps me drink a lot less coffee. For me it's hard to notice any differences with KT or CO, they are foods afterall. I think it's kind of accumulative, something you don't really notice at first then one day you do notice how great you feel.

Oh yeah, I've been there with the CO! I stopped taking it daily and just use it now in cooking.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #1752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"I think it's kind of accumulative, something you don't really notice at first then one day you do notice how great you feel." Or you stop taking it and all of a sudden you aren't feeling as great as you were before and you realize that it had to be what you stopped taking.

I really like the feel of my skin when I am taking CO and I do notice a slight sunscreen benefit from using it internally so I hate not to take it, but something is upsetting my stomach - and since I had an upset stomach last night and this morning (no CO) I am thinking it's not the CO.

I am starting my KT from scratch again cause I was wondering if the strong KT was causing stomach upset (had some last night but not this morning), but stomach upset this morning

I am going to cut back on my supplements and start adding them in slowly and see what happens with that as well -I am taking loads. I'd like to cut down the the type and how many I am taking of each, each day - I am working towards a good multi with a few additions. But I guess that is a discussion for the vitamins and supplements section not candida...

Last edited by JoSkids; 07-21-2009 at 12:14 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #1753

Well I've been doing the CO twice daily (total of 2tbsp) and the biggest change I've noticed is a reduced appetite and a stomach ache. I will continue, I am going to purchase the grapefruit extract.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #1754
Major LCF Poster!

I do eat a bit of coconut oil daily (it's in my lip balm, which I apply way too much) and I like having LC Almond Joy Bars (recipe from Lauren) which have coconut oil and coconut in them (I usually have a bite of one every day or so). I make Thai food a lot, and use coconut oil for that. I do notice a difference in my skin too when I'm eating it. Sometimes I'll put a blob in a smoothie.

It can be tough to determine what causes a tummy ache. I hope you are able to pin point it. My KT was too strong also, I had to dump some of the 2nd ferments because I just couldn't drink them. Started continuous and KT's never been better (it's kind of a pain to remember to replenish the brewer though - as we've talked about on the KT thread).
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #1755
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therisamarie View Post
Well I've been doing the CO twice daily (total of 2tbsp) and the biggest change I've noticed is a reduced appetite and a stomach ache. I will continue, I am going to purchase the grapefruit extract.
FYI - grapefruit seed extract is EXTREMELY bitter, I had a very hard time getting it down. I bought liquid, if you can find capsules I'd buy those - it would be much easier to take that way.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #1756

what is KT
Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #1757
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
FYI - grapefruit seed extract is EXTREMELY bitter, I had a very hard time getting it down. I bought liquid, if you can find capsules I'd buy those - it would be much easier to take that way.
There are capsules I had them.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #1758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
what is KT
It is Kombucha Tea. There is a whole thread going on brewing your own here: Kombucha
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #1759
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
I personally need to take Diflucan, a prescription drug, occasionally. I had Lyme Disease and developed severe systemic yeast from the years of antibiotics. I do much better on low carb....when I am off I get foggy, bloated, itchy, and have really scaly skin on my back and arms.And really crave sweets. I also use a health food store antifungal, am using the coconut oil now.The probiotics are great for anyone, get a good quality refrigerated brand from the HFS, not the drug store brands. All of the other posts are really good information. I have a hard time getting an antifungal from my MD. The last time it came from my dermatologist.

Last edited by lighterbeing; 07-23-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #1760

I was prescribed Fluconazole today, anybody have any success with this?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #1761
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snapsgirl
Stats: 151/142/125
WOE: lowcarb
Start Date: back at it again!
Quote:
I am taking itraconazole for a toenail issue and I think its killing my candida.

I read some where that over 50% of them are fluconazole resistant strains and only 4% are itraconazole resistant. Can't remember where I read that
Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #1762

snapsgirl, I will research that info, thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #1763
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lajinski
Stats: 147/143.5/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 23, 2009
Quote:

I get a prescription (2 doses) of Fluconazole everytime I go on antibiotics and it always works in keeping away those pesky girly yeast infections. But it only works for me if I have 2 doses.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #1764
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bhappy
Stats: 147/135/130
Another newbie!

Hi to all! I've been reading this thread since I got sick with pneumonia for the 6th time in 8 years of living in GA. I read each of the 60 pages and I am impressed! I can only imagine that it gets old to read the life story of each one of us but I really think it helps us to help eachother......so here I go!

I started with UTI's when I was five and was plagued by them all my life. Many times the bacterial culture was neg, yet I was symptomatic. Now after reading here, I know it was yeast. In high school, I was in the ER for 2 nights due to an "allergy" to something in the environment at camp (in the woods in a cabin with mold everywhere). At the time, I had no idea it was mold. Other than that, not a lot of other symptoms except allergic rhinitis, etc. Then college came with a grueling program through medical school and the lack of sleep, exercise and poor nutrition that accompanies it.

I moved to GA 8 years ago and getting sicker every year. I've been allergy tested and am highly allergic to 18 different molds as well as some other things. I have started immunotherapy twice, having to stop for 2 pregnancies. During the end of my 1st pregnancy, I developed gall bladder problems resulting in removal of it a year later. After the second pregnancy my incision opened up and back to surgery for a hernia repair. I've had numerous treatments in my life time with broad spectrum antibiotics and steroids for allergies and other surgeries (arthroscopic knee, tonsilectomy, all wisdom teeth cut out). I've been on the birth control pill since I was 16 and I'm now 40. However, I stopped it about 2 months ago. I finally found an ENT in the area who mentioned Candida and has at least been ONE M.D. who gets it a little. I've done Nystatin without regularity for 3-4 years, more Diflucan than I can count and did go on a yeast diet about 4 years ago. I did feel better but I kept losing so much weight I had to stop it. Also, I was not well educated about all this then and didn't realize the complexity of the yeast issue. I've been a carbohydrate addict for years and finally realized that the yeast is the root of my illnesses. This last time with pnemonia was bad enough to scare me and by the grace of God, I was directed to your site somehow.

Also, my poor little 5 yr old daughter is showing signs also. This way of life is hard enough for me, controlling her diet is VERY difficult. I've told her she is allergic to sugar and she cries and says "why do I have to be allergic to sugar?" I've not been able to be so strict with her diet; I've only been able to cut back. My question regarding her is, she has a papular rash located in the arm pit area that starts as a red bump with a white top that quickly ulcerates. The first time this happened the pediatricia said it was a papilloma virus with a secondary bacterial infection so you know we did a round of antibiotics. It did resolve but now it is back again. I have a gut feeling it is not the papilloma virus. It erupted this time at the same time as her vaginal yeast infection. Thanks to this site, I've been treating both areas topically with EVCO and her bottom looks great but her arm is getting new lesions but the others are drying up. I wonder if this is due to the yeast? Does anyone have other suggestions of topical treatment for under her arm? I was hoping Fawn or Tooter would be around to help with some of these more detailed questions, but I appreciate any input. Sad to say, I've been treating her with OTC yeast creams for vaginal yeast infections since she was three. I'm worried about her!

Here's what I'm doing: I've read the Yeast Connection book, Tired so Tired, 2 other books that I can't remember right now and this entire thread. I have many different vitamins, supplements and antifungals, etc. I've been consistently losing weight and am almost at my normal weight. I have some additional questions for everyone that I haven't had answered in all the above. Please forgive me, these will be all over the place; it's late and I'm so tired (go figure!):
1. Does anyone know if we could eat nuts that are stored in the freezer? I love walnuts and the healthiness of them and I know the potential for mold contamination is the issue, so do molds live in zero degrees?
2. We all know there are many different diets out there for yeast patients. How do I tell the difference between symptoms caused by the food feeding the yeast ( Ex:I eat oats almost everyday for brkfst) or "die-off" because I'm continually killing the yeast also?
3. Is flax seed okay? I use it for my Omega 3,6 supplement. I remember some post in this thread (I think it was Tooter) talking about it not being okay but it was brief and no way could I find it again.
4. I'd like people's opinions on consuming the following foods: brown rice,brown rice flour, oat flour, organic blueberries, organic rice milk? There seems to be such a conflict with honey - is organic raw honey okay in small amounts or is it out just due to the amount of sugar?

Well, I should leave it at that for now because I think this is on the verge of being an embarrasingly long post. Thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who take the time to read all this and answer me back. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and the source is YOU!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #1765
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
This sounds like me!

So, I'm adding my story here.

I lost 30 pounds on Atkins 2003-2005 and have been on and off since. I recently started back on a week ago because the scale was creeping up way too high due to my allowing myself to have sugar and white flour again about 6 months ago...that's when I noticed my excema making a return appearance.

Meanwhile, I had to have a hysterectomy in April and have been on 4 rounds of antibiotics since...so needless to say, I tested VERY high on the Candida Test.

This round of Induction has not gone especially well...I haven't lost an ounce yet, but I'm going to stick with it because I'm pretty sure that I'm experiencing some yeast die-off. That is the only reason I can think of for my being RAVENOUSLY hungry at one week...In the past two times I've been in Induction, my appetite was killed by Day 4. I also scored 1298 on the Candida Quiz.

I hope the scale will start moving soon.

Last edited by katlj; 08-10-2009 at 10:37 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #1766
Major LCF Poster!

bhappy - you can try virgin coconut oil with a bit of tea tree oil mixed in for your daughters armpit ulcerations. Tea Trea oil is amazing stuff for topical fungal issues.

I think nuts that are contaminated with mold will still have the mold spores once frozen. I'm not sure if the freezer "kills" the mold or just makes it go dormant (like yeast). It may become alive/active again once injested and in a warm enviroment (your body).

If you are trying a candida elimination diet, I wouldn't consume any starchy carbs (whole grain or otherwise) for the first few weeks. Dairy and nuts are also excluded. This site is amazingly helpful for diet and tips to treat candida: Curing Candida, How to Get Started

I also wouldn't consume honey for the first couple of weeks either, way too many carbs that will just feed the yeast. You may be able to add it back in later, but I wouldn't during the elimination part of your diet. It's all about balancing the candida (you'll never get rid of it, you need some, but it needs to be in balance with the bacteria). I think Stevia would be ok as a sweetener.

The die off is something that will probably be different for everyone. If you follow the candida diet from the link above, it is very detailed. There are also antifungals you can take along with the diet to help kill off the excess yeast. Best of luck to you and your daughter!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #1767
Junior LCF Member

bikerAng - thanks for the reply. I will definitely try the tea tree oil.

I have been on the diet now for about 6 weeks. I ate brown rice pasta today and didn't get any symptoms. The vast majority of the time I am eating a lean protein source and many vegetables. I also eat the oats almost everyday and don't have any symptoms. I take from that, my body must be tolerating them okay but when you work this hard to get the yeast beast under control, you certainly don't want to shoot yourself in the foot.

I am on many vitamin/supplements from a high quality lab. I have been doing the probiotics all along, but according to here, I should be adding them in at the end.....well, I guess I'd be there at this point (6 weeks). Also, I've been doing the EVCO and am at 3 TB/day. My complexion is becoming so much more oily (more than the normal Italian skin) - any thoughts on how to calm that down? I've done a little ACV with mother and am slowly increasing that. I have Oil of Oregano but haven't started that yet. Plus my Nystatin.

You were right about the nuts. The mold will go dormant and resurface at the right temp....ugh! Guess I'll have to try them later down the road.

I have the cookbook The Yeast Free Kitchen and that is helpful too. It defines stages and then lists food appropriate for them. I'm more strict than a lot of the recipes but it's still good. Also, Feast without Yeast is good.

I will be using the sites you gave me for help too. Thanks so much!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #1768
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you have the yeast diet pretty hammered out - there really isn't a one size fits all diet for candida (it's a lot of trial and error and it sounds like you're doing a great job there).

Raw garlic is an awesome antifungal too, and is very cheap. I read that you should rotate the antifungals also, so the yeast can't build a tolerance to it.

I wonder if there is any way to get rid of the mold on nuts......boiling? I just don't know.

I have oily skin too. I started using coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer and after about 3 months my skin isn't as noticably oily. It feels like a grease slick when you first put the coconut oil on your skin, but it aborbs then doesn't get as oily during the day. It took a few months for me to notice the difference, and my complexion is a lot better.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #1769
Junior LCF Member

I'm trying the best I can with this diet, but it is difficult. I'm sure it will get better once I cook more and find good recipes. Here's a little dilemma - I've always been a big wine drinker (socially,etc) and now all alcohol is out. So my first question is, has anyone been able to add it back in and handle it well? and is there an alcohol that is less fermented than others for those times when I am just gonna have to cheat?

I went to GNC to get the tea tree oil and they were closed I spoke with her teacher tonight and she will put some EVCO on during the day also. Scares me to think she could be experiencing problems with yeast at such a young age.

I read on one post that someone swallows the garlic clove whole - how do you do it?

That's interesting about the amount of oil decreasing after you started using it on your face I don't understand it but I think it would be a great moisturizer; I'll try it on my hair too.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #1770
Junior LCF Member

Hi katlj
Hang in there with the induction - we've all been there and it will start coming off! My weight loss is such a positive for me while I'm learning to eat like this because it is hard to change such diet habits. Feeling better is the most important thing but I just love to cook and love all food and .....well you know how the story goes.

I'm just curious, how long did it take for you to start with symptoms again once you started doing sugar/flour again? And, were you able to stop the weight loss once you got to your desired weight last time? The last and only other time I did this, I got too skinny and just kept losing. I attribute it to not being as educated about this and hope that won't happen again.

Good luck to you!
Closed Thread