Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #1681
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
Hello all
I am a candida sufferer as well. I've been suffering from recurrent yeast infections.
Does any of you take GSE (grapefruit seed extract)? I've been taking it for only 4 days and this afternoon, I found out my yeast inf. is returning! What can it be? A die-off? Or should I stop taking GSE? I am on the yeast-free diet (I do drink coffee once a day), I am taking anti-candida herbs daily, vit. c., cranberry extract, probiotics.

Please, help!
How long have you been on your current regimine?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #1682
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
I've been on this regime (without GSE) on and off since March '09. In March, I really tried to stick to the diet, but I got very depressed, so much that my doc wanted to put me on Zoloft, so I eased up on the diet (started drinking some milk and coffee, some cookies). I've also been taking Candex --> without any significant results. (still taking it)

4 days ago, when I started taking GSE, I went back to the diet (no sugars, very limited complex carbohydrates, no diary except yoghurt) and I kept my daily 1/2 cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer.

I've been using boric acid and I got the inf.anyway! It's beyond me at this point.

I am using a scented wash detergent...Could that be the culprit?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #1683
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="Teal"]I think you need to give this some time and really stick with it. I don't think once you have candida in your system (and most people have it whether they realize it or not - some symptoms are more severe than others) you don't ever rid yourself of it and that you will get flare ups if you don't treat it continuously. I would hazard to guess that what you are experiencing is die off.

A scented detergent could have some affect on your body. If there is any question as to whether or not this might be the culprit, I would definitely switch to unscented.[/COLOR]

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #1684
Senior LCF Member

JoSkids
Thanks for your reply. I don't mind having some yeast in my body, but I want to get some control over it. I don't want to experience yeast infections constantly.

Is GSE safe to use long term?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #1685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I would imagine that GSE is ok for the long term, but I have heard that other people alternate between oil of oregano and, I think, garlic tablets. I am switching between oil of oregano (capsules) and GSE as I finish each bottle. Other people do it more often - I'm just really bad at keeping track weekly or biweekly - easier to go by empty bottles.

I am really new to this so hopefully others will chime in cause I am no expert by any means.
[/COLOR]
Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #1686
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Jonika

While researching on Bee's site recently she doesn't want us to get rid of the yeast altogether either. She says it is best to have a balance in your gut. So you are right on with that. Do away with the scented wash detergent. My kids use Dove unscented or sensitive skin because of their eczema--and have been since day 1. You have to stay the course and not waver with the diet. That is why you have gotten the infection--wavering here and there. The best way to get rid of the yeast is to starve it. NO milk, cookies and those sugary things. I know that it is difficult, but just has to be done. I would recommend doing away with the yogurt too. The only dairy that Bee says is "good" is butter. I don't think there is anything else dairy wise you can have on an anti candida diet! I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong! I don't know about GSE, never used it when I was battling candida. Have you researched Bee's website yet? Truly good information in there.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #1687

Jonika
Here is what Bee says about candida, (straight from her support group on yahoo):

"It doesn't matter how bad his candida is since mild to severe cases all require the same program, which is mainly "proper nutrients" that build up the immune system so it becomes strong enough to "make" candida "change back" into the friendly organism it is supposed to be."

and:

"Unfortunately there are no quick fixes. Candida is not cured by "killing it off" or "trying to get rid of it" - it doesn't work that way. Also antifungals, other than unrefined coconut oil, are so very unimportant compared to "proper nutrients" (also eliminating toxins & foods that feed candida, etc.) because the only way to cure candida is to build up the immune system and the overall health and strength of the body. There is no way to get around Mother Nature."
Old 05-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #1688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Interesting about the antifungals - maybe I won't bother with them after I use up the bottle of oil of oregano that I just got yesterday

What are other people's experiences with the antifungals (other than CO)?
[/COLOR]
Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1689
Senior LCF Member

I agree with the immune system health. I am very weak in this area so I am taking Wobenzym which is supposed to build it back up again (it provides enzymes). It's supposed to help with chronic inflammation of any kind (vaginal yeast inf. as well).

When I got this yeast inf yeasterday. I wasn't cheating on the diet! I swear! No simple carbs or sugar, vinegar, fermented food, or diary (except of yoghurt).

But, one cant kill the yeast by just being on the diet! That's impossible, I think. Antifungals ARE needed.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #1690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I agree with the immune system health. I am very weak in this area so I am taking Wobenzym which is supposed to build it back up again (it provides enzymes). It's supposed to help with chronic inflammation of any kind (vaginal yeast inf. as well).

When I got this yeast inf yeasterday. I wasn't cheating on the diet! I swear! No simple carbs or sugar, vinegar, fermented food, or diary (except of yoghurt).

But, one cant kill the yeast by just being on the diet! That's impossible, I think. Antifungals ARE needed.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"] Coconut oil is an antifungal - they are saying that any other antifungal (which would include - GSE, oil of oregano, garlic) other than CO are unimportant[/COLOR]

Last edited by JoSkids; 05-22-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #1691
Senior LCF Member

do you think, I should keep using GSE??
Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #1692
Senior LCF Member

JoSkids, how do you use GSE? How often and how many drops?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #1693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
JoSkids, how do you use GSE? How often and how many drops?
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I think I need more input on what other people are doing as far as antifungals before I totally decide to give up on them - like I said, I just got a new bottle of oil of oregano so I will use that up and by that time, I should have more information.

I am taking GSE tablets 125mg tablets 3x's day.

My oil of oregano is 45mg capsules and I will take them 3x's day as well.[/COLOR]
Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #1694
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Dawn,

Thanks for the info. I went to Walmart and picked up the Lotrimin today.

We live in Spartanburg area. Lived in Myrtle Beach awhile.
Mona
Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #1695

Mona,

That is great! I think you will find relief.

Love Spartanburg...at least you have a chance of getting snow. The kids had 2 "snow days" this school year and we didn't have any snow!! The least little threat of snow and they shut everything down. The kids were way too disappointed this year. My pic in my avi is Edisto Beach...everyone thinks its Myrtle Beach though.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #1696
Senior LCF Member

Hi people
I have a problem. I am getting red pimples on my face and my back. They don't itch or hurt...plus, I have diarrhea! I am so scared. What can it be?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #1697
Major LCF Poster!

I keep reading on other message boards that ACV worsens candida. Anyone know anything more about this?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #1698
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Peacesoul
Stats: Coming up on 43yrs old...ekk!
WOE: smart
Quote:
Hi people
I have a problem. I am getting red pimples on my face and my back. They don't itch or hurt...plus, I have diarrhea! I am so scared. What can it be?
not enough info. Pimple and diarrhea can be a whole host of issues.
Can you give me info/stats?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #1699
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
I keep reading on other message boards that ACV worsens candida. Anyone know anything more about this?
Well if it's the commercial brands, then yes, but if it's the organic unpasturized ACV with "mother" then no
Old 05-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #1700

Jonika--it is probably die off of the yeast. Means that it is leaving your system. Keep on keeping on!! If you have any questions on that google "herxheimer reaction".
Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #1701
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacesoul View Post
Well if it's the commercial brands, then yes, but if it's the organic unpasturized ACV with "mother" then no
They said it was due to fermentation. Isn't the organic fermented as well?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #1702
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
They said it was due to fermentation. Isn't the organic fermented as well?
Yes it is
What could be happening is the AVC is knocking your PH out of balance.
When the PH is unbalanced, then issues begin to happen.
ACV is a alkalizer
You can check your PH to see if it's balanced

Last edited by Peacesoul; 05-25-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

How can I check my Ph?

PLEASE, I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS REGARDING GSE:

GSE is making me sick to my stomach. I also noticed brown spots and brown-yellow areas on my tongue...Is that normal?
I am taking 15 drops 3 times a day. I am bloated too and still have diarrhea. My skin pimples are healing slowly.

I am sorry folks for bothering you with my symptoms, but I need some help or I'll go crazy. I am thinking of going off GSE...
Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #1704
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'm not that familiar with GSE, but if it's making you sick, you should prob, stop taking it.

Any spots on the tongue are not normal.
Do you follow a yeast free diet?

Saliva Testing

Saliva testing gives a general range of the saliva’s pH and should be used only as a rough guide. Over time, it can provide a broad picture of your overall state of acid-alkaline balance.

Saliva testing is easy and inexpensive. Simply but some pH paper (litmus paper), which comes in a small roll and is available at most health food or drug stores. It usually costs between $10 and $15.

Simply tear off a 1-2 inch strip of the litmus paper and place it under your tongue in some saliva. Try not to let it touch your tongue, lips, or gums. Immediately check the strip’s color against the color scale on the back of the roll.

The best time to test your saliva is first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. Also, by keeping a log over time, you can get a pretty good idea of your body’s general acid-alkaline state.

If your pH routinely tests acidic then you’re body is most likely consistently acidic, which means that your body may be dumping alkaline minerals from your muscles, bones, and vital organs to compensate and buffer the excess acid.

Ideally, your saliva pH should be between 7.0 and 7.4 as it is naturally slightly more acidic than the blood.

Urine Testing

Urine testing also uses pH paper. It is more accurate than saliva testing but should still be used as a general guideline of your body’s overall acid-alkaline status. To test your urine, place a 2-inch strip of litmus paper in your urine stream or collect some of your urine in a paper cup and dip one side of the paper strip into it.

As with saliva testing, you should test your urine first thing in the morning. Keep a log of your results over time for best accuracy of your body’s pH state. Similarly to the saliva, your urine should be slightly more acidic than the blood. Ideally, your urine’s pH should be around 6.8.

These are 2 of the most convenient and common pH testing methods. For best accuracy you can have a look at your living blood through a process called “Live Cell Microscopy”.

If you find that your blood is too acidic then you’ll most likely also have any number of symptoms including fatigue, lethargy, being overweight, frequent colds or illness, and many more!

To combat the negative effects of an acidic body you need to alkalize your body – obviously! This can be done through a number of methods including eating more green vegetables and juices, deep breathing, exercising, and drinking lemon water
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM   #1705
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your response.
Yes, I do follow the yeast-free diet. Every time, I drink GSE, I feel like I want to throw up until my stomach settles.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #1706
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]are you supposed to take the drops directly from the bottle or should you be mixing with water?[/COLOR]
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #1707
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: granny on the go
Patches and Kathy, I went to Dr Truss back in the 80s. I got much better and was able to do well on my own. But, I'm weak, I guess. I finally got back to daily coffee and tea, eating too many carbs...drinking alcohol...us yeast growers can't do that.

Right now I am going thru the chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia again. I seem to be better since I quit wheat about 3 weeks ago, my food allergies are MUCH better.

I have yet another use for coconut oil. I wash w/exfoliating gloves. Then after my shower while I am still wet I put CO on all over. Use an old towel to dry with and put on lotion if needed for your skin/climate. Be ready for the softest skin you ever had.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #1708
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pukka111
Hi tooter, I'd like to know where to get hold of this coconut cure book of yours, the fasting diet. Here in the uk, all the medical professions are really useless trying to help with this issue. I have had it sometime now, and would dearly like to rid it. Thanks very much
Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
In Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, he speaks of Candida and I think in reading the book over the years I focused on "weight-loss ideas" more than health. Shame on me!

But, on Candida he says 4 major contributors:
1. diet/high sugar and refined carbs
2. antibiotics
3. MERCURY in silver dental fillings
4. Birth control pills, steroids

Now, what I'm thinking about is my mouth full of silver fillings that I've had for years and years!!

I'm highly allergic to mercury as it is. If I eat fish that has much mercury at all, I get very ill.

I'm going to have to do something about it. If a filling came out and I swallowed it, it would probably kill me.

As it is, I'm probably toxic with mercury from my fillings.

Anyone else considering this?

Mona
Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #1710
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
In Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, he speaks of Candida and I think in reading the book over the years I focused on "weight-loss ideas" more than health. Shame on me!

But, on Candida he says 4 major contributors:
1. diet/high sugar and refined carbs
2. antibiotics
3. MERCURY in silver dental fillings
4. Birth control pills, steroids

Now, what I'm thinking about is my mouth full of silver fillings that I've had for years and years!!

I'm highly allergic to mercury as it is. If I eat fish that has much mercury at all, I get very ill.

I'm going to have to do something about it. If a filling came out and I swallowed it, it would probably kill me.

As it is, I'm probably toxic with mercury from my fillings.

Anyone else considering this?

Mona
I think its a smart move to have them replaced.
Closed Thread