Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #1591
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Small_1
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Feb 2009
Is this candida?

I have been following the Diabetes Diet by Dr. Bernstein although he allows 6-12-12carbs (6 for breakfast, 12 each for lunch and supper).

However, I stopped eating all veggies because I would bloat and feel really uncomfortable. I decided to do an elimination diet. Haven't added them back because I feel horrible after eating them...veggies are not my friend! Pooh! And I LOOOVVVEEE Them. Was proud that I was working my way to complete vegetarianism. HA!

Anyway, a couple weeks ago my dentist prescribed some Keflex for some dental work (I think maybe because of recently being diagnosised with type one diabetes.)

I had one day left of the antibiotic, and after taking the last one for the day, I became soooo sick. REALLY. I had eaten for supper a burger with cheese and mayo and finished it with a pudding I really had been enjoying until that night. LOL It was made with 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 1/2 stick butter, some necta sweet tablets and davinici's sugar-free syrup. A few hours later I was projectile vomiting (sorry TMI). But there was a virus going around and my family had it so I ruled out food poisoning and blamed the virus.

After the dental work he gave me more to take. I refused but my beloved was concerned about infection and so I caved in. A couple hours after I had taken it as prescribed, I felt very nauseous (<= sorry I can't spell), bloated and as if I had been hit in my gut. Man!!! That was the last one I took.

My head has been hurting me like crazy. My eyes are extremely red and hurt like they would had I been in the sun at the beach/pool all day. My sinuses are so plugged have been for weeks now! I tried taking ibrofen but it isn't helping.

However, one thing I started adding coconut oil to my coffee, not every time but I am getting addicted to the softening of my upper lip LOL so I add it more often. Anyway, at first I didn't noticed any change, but the longer I stay off all sugar/veggies/breads/etc/etc...my blood sugars are well in the 80's and 100's...I went to bed last night at 86 and woke this morning at 83!!!

BTW, all my life I have had problems with dehydration (had many hospital visits to rehydrate) and anemia. Was dx with migraines (intolerances to many foods) when I was 15, dx with RA in my 20's, IBS in my 30's and now...TADA...in my 40's it's hypothyroidism and type one diabetes.

Oh and one more thing...for the past several years just above my breast I have had these pink spots...they have never itched or really bothered me at all. But I have checked them against ringworm and many other rashes but it never does. Could this have anything to do with candida?

Last edited by Small_1; 04-07-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: wanted a frowning face but got an embarassed one instead

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1592
Senior LCF Member

A couple more things...last ones...for now...I promise! )

I discovered last week the diet on Bible Life Ministries - God's Salvation in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. which is for IBS sufferers. I dismissed the part about candida as I have never even heard of it before...but it is the same as the diet for IBS.

For now I have only been eating:

Eggs and fatty meat

Drinking mostly water (le bleu bottled), especially with meals. However I do still drink diet mt dew as too much water gives me a headache.

Adding CO and necta sweet/splenda tablets to my coffee

When the sweet tooth hits Land of Lakes Sugar-free Whipped Cream. Since I am craving sweets and that's a no-no, I will eat some salty pork skins. ) My BRATT (Body Rebells At These Times) hates that!!!

A little hard cheese but not often and not everyday as it has always triggered a migraine and so it scares me.

I am underweight so I eat as often as my body wants, but during meal times I eat the meats/eggs in moderations.

Is there a headache med that will work. My neck and shoulders are also hurting me very very badly. Maybe I ought to call my doctor.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #1593
Senior LCF Member

That site I mentioned above is www (dot) biblelife (dot) org. It is a religious site but if you go to the bottom of the page they have lots of interesting health related links.

Okay, boy was last night hard. I think I had the adult version of colic!

I was cranky.

I *felt* like I was *starving*!
Even though I had eaten pork ribs (without any seasonings except sea salt). It had lots of fat! I finished off the can of Land of Lakes s-f whipped cream. And won't be buying more. I ate some pork skins, my BRATT was demanding more sweet but I simply didn't have anymore so I gave it something salty and crunchy. LOL

For some reason my blood sugar went higher than I have seen in a while. I am wondering if the BRATT was sucking the glucose from the protein that I had eaten causing my blood sugar to rise.

This morning my blood sugar is still higher than I have seen in a while. It was 130 before I went to bed and when I woke this morning 114! WOW!!!

I have mucus coming from almost every opening in my body.

My throat was slightly sore when I went to bed last night.

And something new for me...a slight touch of heartburn!

I wonder how long "die off" last. If this is what is actually happening.

By the way, my mother called me last night. She works in a doctors office so I asked her about how the doc treats candida. She said, "I've never heard of that, must be something new that Dr. ___ hasn't seen yet." LOL It's no wonder that we're all walking around with this beast within us and going untreated! grrrr!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #1594
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marisa
feeling rotten

I have been taking coconut oil for the past month - gradually increased up to 4 Tablespoons a day and I have added two capsules of Oregano Oil also. I bought the probiotics but then I read that I should wait until most of my die off symptoms have left.

I haven't had any horrible die off symptoms - a little rash here and there, a sore shoulder blade area, and headaches. I just realized that I am feeling very depressed -- not a normal feeling for me, I am usually the optimist and now I am pessimistic about everything. I cry many times throughout the day (again a rare thing for me to do). I had contributed it to my daughter, son-in-law and grandson moving and a bad relationship with my daughter-in-law, but when I really thought about ti that has been going for some time and I was able to deal with it -- now I just want to give up. Does anything think this could be die off symptoms? I feel so poorly I thought making a doctor's appointment but now I am not sure.

I have been very faithfully doing lowcarb since Jan 5 and have only lost 12 pounds -- which, of course, is quite depressing also. I workout at least 3 days a week (usually more).

Any suggestions from people would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #1595
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
SAD was affecting me really badly this year (I too am usually very cheerful and optimistic) but was feeling super low this winter. I also herniated a disc in my back so that didn't help things. I started taking cod liver oil daily (the high vitamin D type) and that has helped immensely. I was taking it sporadically, but when I made sure to take it daily I felt so much better (didn't notice the effects right away, took a couple of weeks). Good luck to you!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #1596
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marisa
Has anyone taken coconut oil capsules or apple cider capsules?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #1597
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacesoul View Post
It does amaze me that dr's will freely give out abx for acne.
clear up one issue and create a whole other issue.

Dr's are lost!

GSE does work for many people. I've never had to try it.
I've been taking a great herbal capsule from a Montreal company that has 4 diff herbs in it. I initially took it for other issues and realized it was killing all my yeast.

I don't think they sell this anywhere else outside my city though.

These are the Ingredients
Cinnamomum verum, Eugenia caryophyllus, Origanum compactum, Thymus vulgaris C.T. thymol

It has worked wonders for me.
I have researched oregano oil prior to my first order. I noted that thymol, a component found in oregano oil, could be dangerous to one's health. My understanding that small amounts are ok for ingestion over a period of time. Don't know how much is in the product that you are taking but you might want to check it out.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #1598
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Is it ok to drink green tea with candida?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #1599
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
Is it ok to drink green tea with candida?
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Yes, you can drink green tea. Black tea can be troublesome due to mold. I had to stop drinking black tea a while back because it was causing me to break out in a rash. I have been drinking it again, but not as much and having no problem with it[/COLOR]
Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #1600
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
Has anyone taken coconut oil capsules or apple cider capsules?
[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]I have heard that they are not as effective - if they are effective at all. Someone will have a more technical answer for you, I'm sure.[/COLOR]
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #1601
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meb2004
Stats: 146 / 135 5'9"
WOE: weston price / whole foods
Start Date: February 2004
I think you just end up taking a ridiculous number of capsules that it's much easier to get it in in regular form - cooking with CO and mixing the apple cider vinegar with water.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #1602
Major LCF Poster!

I feel that I'm experiencing extreme candida die off.
These are my symptoms:
brainfog, headaches, extreme fatigue, bloodshot eyes, itchiness, mood swings.
I have been on my stronger probiotic since Friday April 10. Initially they caused a lot of die off symptoms but eventually it got better. The bloat was always there though, so I caved and took cascara sagrada (herbal 'laxative') April 15 and 16 and have felt awful die of yesterday and today (18 and 19). I didn't take my probiotic tonight (19) and am starting to feel slightly better (knock on wood) with 12g vitamin C (I think it is destroying some of the toxins the candida has released into my bloodstream).
I'm sure part of the problem is that I upset the flora balance by taking the cascara and have put myself back to square one.
My question is this; since my probiotic seems to be a bit too strong, would it be ok to take it every third day? I think I am benefitting from the probiotic, as my nails are beginning to grow for the first time in a long time; however I can't handle the extreme die off symptoms that seem to occur from everyday use.

Last edited by girl81; 04-19-2009 at 11:59 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #1603
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
I feel that I'm experiencing extreme candida die off.
These are my symptoms:
brainfog, headaches, extreme fatigue, bloodshot eyes, itchiness, mood swings.
I have been on my stronger probiotic since Friday April 10. Initially they caused a lot of die off symptoms but eventually it got better. The bloat was always there though, so I caved and took cascara sagrada (herbal 'laxative') April 15 and 16 and have felt awful die of yesterday and today (18 and 19). I didn't take my probiotic tonight (19) and am starting to feel slightly better (knock on wood) with 12g vitamin C (I think it is destroying some of the toxins the candida has released into my bloodstream).
I'm sure part of the problem is that I upset the flora balance by taking the cascara and have put myself back to square one.
My question is this; since my probiotic seems to be a bit too strong, would it be ok to take it every third day? I think I am benefitting from the probiotic, as my nails are beginning to grow for the first time in a long time; however I can't handle the extreme die off symptoms that seem to occur from everyday use.
To get your Candida under control there are steps you must take and do "in order".

Here they are in order.

1. Change your diet.

Don't feed the yeast any extra food. Low carb diet is good for this. Also, read up on what feeds the yeast. Yes, you will experience "Die off" From this.

2. Antifungals

After you have changed your diet and adjusted to that, you add in an antifugal. This helps Kill some of the yeast. Yes, you will experience "die off" from this. It's best to go slow, and rotate antifungals so your body doesn't get use to them.

3. Probiotics

This is the LAST stage of over coming Candida. Did you get that? It's the last stage. You already have changed your diet (so you aren't feeding the yeast extra food). You have already been using Antifungals so that you have killed a large number of yeasts and the probiotics then have room (and the enviroment) to implant in your gut.

It sounds like you have been doing things backwards. This is why you are having such a hard time with the probiotics. There is a major war going on in your gut, and the probiotics are losing, because you didn't do the other steps first.

A great site to get information on this from, is this:

How to Successfully Overcome Candida

Read up!! Good luck to you!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #1604
Senior LCF Member

Hey Tooter,

If a person is pretty strict zc-ing do they still need to do to take the antifungal and/or probiotics? And just for the record this WOE works for my body, so no need to discuss that. *smile*

I am already doing oil pulling.

I add necta sweet (for the sodium bicarb) and CO to my coffee.

I have already searched and eliminated all carbs.

I rub down my body with CO.

I know the thing is almost dead, but I have years of growth to kill off. Is this just a wait-n-see game?

Thanks!
Paula

Last edited by Small_1; 04-20-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #1605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small_1 View Post
Hey Tooter,

If a person is pretty strict zc-ing do they still need to do to take the antifungal and/or probiotics? And just for the record this WOE works for my body, so no need to discuss that. *smile*

I am already doing oil pulling.

I have already searched and eliminated all carbs.

I rub down my body with CO.

I know the thing is almost dead, but I have years of growth to kill off. Is this just a wait-n-see game?

Thanks!
Paula

That's a Great Question, Paula. I really haven't gone into a lot of talk about Candida on the Zero Carb site. I've mostly been watching, reading and taking it in (on this subject).

What I have observed (and so has Margot) is that we have done a lot better on Zero carb (No symptoms) then other people who never did the diet, antifungals, probiotics...etc...

Some of them, still have symptoms and are just "waiting it out" until their bodies heal.

I'm leaning towards the fact that Antifungals are really needed to acheive what Margot and I did.

The Probiotics? On zero carb, I tend to think, No. I didn't do them for very long and when I went "Zero" There was no need for them (I wasn't eating plant life).

So, what I "Think" seems to be important is the antifungals.

Now, you have to remember when Margot and I started Zero carb, we had already gone through the Candida Elimination program. What I do know, is that we both have done better then other people who just "Did zero carb". Of coarse, everyone's Candida Case, Severity is different.

I don't know if you can "Glean" from that, but that's what I know, so far.

My advice would be to "Wait and See" for now. If you have any symptoms, try adding in a little antifungals and go from there.

If it Ain't broke...Don't fix it.

Did that help at all?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #1606
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Tooter.

Yes, it did.

I wasn't too addicted to carbs to begin with, so cravings/etc are not a problem. I was eating them because my idiot doc convinced my Beloved that my "brain will disconnect and I'll die a quick, painful death if you don't eat carbs." Lair! And to think I pay him to lie to me. Oh well...life goes on!

My "slight" headaches are pretty much gone.

I am still kinda bloated though. But not nearly as bad. Thank Heaven!

I've pretty much been going through elimination since Feb 2009. Not because of candida, heck, I didn't know what it was. LOL I refuse to eat anything that causes me to have to give myself a shot...silly ain't I?

I just didn't know if it the anti-fungals/probiotic was absolutely neccessary if carbs aren't an issue. I haven't touched a plant (cooked or raw) since Feb 18, 2009. LOL

I will go back over this thread and find out exactly what you and Margot did.

I truly appreciate your help.

Thanks again!
Paula
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #1607

Paula, you are already using an Anti-fungal. Coconut oil.

It could be "die off" from that. You already said that your headache is better.

Right now? Don't do anything else.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

The Zero Carb AND the Coconut oil IS the elimination diet for Candida.

You have changed your diet (Zero Carb) and you are using an Antifungal.

Without know it, you have been doing what you should be doing.

Not bad, eh?

Hey, keep me posted, ok?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #1608
Senior LCF Member

Oh cool! Yes, the headache is gone. Also the stuffy morning nose. LOL But the bloat oh my word!!!

May I ask another question?

Hope you said yes. LOL

While eating supper tonight (fatty pork ribs with butter more protein than fat though. and drinking water) I started to bloat and get such gut pain. It's been like 4 hours now and I still feel like I have been punched several times. It is very umcomfortable. Even breathing is difficult but not impossible.

Would this be candida?

I tried to start a zc journal today, but just as I was getting ready to press the submit button my computer re-started. I cried. She apologized. All is forgiven.

Paula
Old 04-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #1609
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
To get your Candida under control there are steps you must take and do "in order".

Here they are in order.

1. Change your diet.

Don't feed the yeast any extra food. Low carb diet is good for this. Also, read up on what feeds the yeast. Yes, you will experience "Die off" From this.

2. Antifungals

After you have changed your diet and adjusted to that, you add in an antifugal. This helps Kill some of the yeast. Yes, you will experience "die off" from this. It's best to go slow, and rotate antifungals so your body doesn't get use to them.

3. Probiotics

This is the LAST stage of over coming Candida. Did you get that? It's the last stage. You already have changed your diet (so you aren't feeding the yeast extra food). You have already been using Antifungals so that you have killed a large number of yeasts and the probiotics then have room (and the enviroment) to implant in your gut.

It sounds like you have been doing things backwards. This is why you are having such a hard time with the probiotics. There is a major war going on in your gut, and the probiotics are losing, because you didn't do the other steps first.

A great site to get information on this from, is this:

How to Successfully Overcome Candida

Read up!! Good luck to you!
I have been following the candida diet for almost a year. How long should I rotate antifungals before starting a probiotic?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 AM   #1610
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Peacesoul
Stats: Coming up on 43yrs old...ekk!
WOE: smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I have researched oregano oil prior to my first order. I noted that thymol, a component found in oregano oil, could be dangerous to one's health. My understanding that small amounts are ok for ingestion over a period of time. Don't know how much is in the product that you are taking but you might want to check it out.
Thanks for the input. I've been taking it on and off for over a year and it helped control my lyme diease better than antibiotics.
Also, I'm a naturopathic student so I research everything to death before I take anything.
It's been very safe for me and others I know who take it.
Though I should add, like pharma meds, herbs should be taken in cycles
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #1611
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Oh cool! Yes, the headache is gone. Also the stuffy morning nose. LOL But the bloat oh my word!!!

May I ask another question?

Hope you said yes. LOL

While eating supper tonight (fatty pork ribs with butter more protein than fat though. and drinking water) I started to bloat and get such gut pain. It's been like 4 hours now and I still feel like I have been punched several times. It is very umcomfortable. Even breathing is difficult but not impossible.

Would this be candida?

I tried to start a zc journal today, but just as I was getting ready to press the submit button my computer re-started. I cried. She apologized. All is forgiven.

Paula
Just an observation; you headaches may also be caused by the diet drinks you're consuming.
The word about Aspartame being bad is not a myth
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #1612
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Also, I would like to add, die off can be lessesed if you detox while killing the candida.
Lemon water, milk thistle and detox baths are a GREAT way to detox the body and keep the liver clean.
I was going through major herxing when I was being treated for lyme and lupus, the plan above helped me go from my bed to being about to function again.

Just a thought........
Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #1613
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Peacesoul.

I do drink diet mt dew and coffee. But I drink mostly water, especially with my meals. (bottled LeBleu water)

Thanks again!

Paula
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #1614

Small1...Too much fat, too quickly.

Let me get this straight (help me here) you are taking coconut oil. You are eating fatty meat AND adding more fat to the meat when you eat it...Is that correct?

I am a "Fat pusher", but that's mainly because people try to eat meat/protein with No fat.

I don't know how many times I have seen people post they ate hard boiled eggs and a boneless/skinless chicken breast. Where's the fat?

With "Fat" you must listen to your own body. Learn what it's trying to tell you.

It sounds like you are having some "die off" and you are ingesting too much fat for your body.

If you are eating "fatty meat" you don't have to add more fat to it, unless your body tells you to.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #1615
Senior LCF Member

Tooter,

The person I *was* used to take a hamburger patty before adding cheese and wash the grease off. I did not even allow it to cook in grease/fat. I bought the leanest ground beef possible. Wouldn't touch a greasy piece of chicken/meat if my life depended on it. I made a statement once that fatback would never cross these lips. Steaks, no thanks, I felt they were way too fatty. I ate lots of boneless, skinless chicken breast, turkey breast (no skin), and pork chops where the fat & bones had been removed.

Now...
Yes...I am eating lots of fat. My fave snack...fried fatback. I love that stuff! Go figure, eh?

Just for the record, I am battling more than just candida. (anemia, dehydration, migraines, IBS, sinus problems, rheumtoid arthris, hypothyroidism, and diabetes. Due to weight loss I was labeled anorexic as well...nope! simply not true!)

Now for the reason(s) for all the fat:

1. I am underweight. I weighed in last night for Charles (I hate stepping on the scale) and it was 85.2lbs while painfully bloated, fully clothed after supper. About four hours later, still bloated, un-clothed I was 83.2lbs.
PS I had eaten more protein less fat for supper. ugh! I immediately began to feel discomfort.

2. When I was in the hospital in Oct 2008, they told me my body was eating my muscle. I have 0% body fat. I am hoping that my body will begin to burn the fat instead of my muscle for energy.

I hope and pray my body will begin to use the fat for fuel and the protein will begin to re-pair & rebuild my muscles...causing me to regain the weight I lost between Aug-Oct 2008. I could be wrong about this, I am still learning.

Btw, my normal weight has always been between 100-105 lbs.

Paula
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #1616
Senior LCF Member

Tooter,
I just went back to the first page and was reading your story. Oh my word! I cried.

I would like to share mine.

My story begins the day my mother took me off the bottle. I was 9 months old. I ate lots of mashed veggies.

Just before I turned 2 years old I entered the hospital for the first time, it would not be my last! I had pneumonia. This I battled on and off each year until the age of 5.

At this stage, I had a runny nose and colds all the time, even in the summer. I earned the name "snotty nose".

Around the age of 5, I entered the world of dehydration which put me in the hospital many times. My last battle with dehydration resulted in sever DKA and diabetes.

At this point I had pretty much stopped eating anything except ground beef crumbled with fat and ketchup mixed together. All other foods made me feel sick. The adults felt this was harmful and forced me to eat "a variety of foods" I began hiding my food in my room. Silly kid that I was didn't realize that food rots, rotten food stinks. I was busted.
It was believed that I had an eating disorder and was watched constantly. I didn't it was not fear of getting fat...it was fear of painful gut from the food. Course, it's hard to explain when you are so young.

By the age of 10, I lived in my ear, nose and throat doctors office. He dx me with sinus infections and I lived on antibiotic. I finally had an surgery to correct my nasal passages. It didn't work.

However, I then developed migraines.

My dentist was my biggest fear doctor as he constantly fussed at me for not taking care of my teeth. Hello! I brushed! And visited him every frickin six months! Only to get yelled at. I sill dislike him and he is my cousin! Idiot!!! Anywho...

Now I am age 15 still battling sinus infections, dehydration, migraines, poor dental health and now I get braces!

Next I get pregnant and discover I have Rh-negative blood. With each pregnancy I must have a shot or my body will kill the baby. I was advised to fix that problem by insuring there would be no more. I didn't and had three wonderful babies!

First pregnancy went well. I looked like I was carrying a little basketball. She was born within 45 minutes after my labor started. Immediately after birth, I was my normal size.

Shortly afterward I was dx with rheumoid arthritis. (age 21)

Second pregnancy went a little more difficult as my life was very very stressful. She was born with colic. She was born within 45 minutes after my labor started. I suffered post-partum depression and tried to commit suicide.

I developed a sever sinus infection and went to the doc for medicine. While being examined I asked about the thick white patch on my tongue and the bad breath. She replied, Why don't you try brushing once in a while. I was hurt! I do brush!

With my 3rd pregnancy, I gained lots of weight! He seemed huge! I was put on bed rest.
It was during this pregnancy my OB-GYN casually mentioned something about IBS. I was told it was nothing and would clear up on it's on. It never did! His labor was ended by a helpful nurse who's shift was ending and didn't want to be delayed at getting off. Of course, I didn't realize that at the time! ugh! His deliverly lasted hours!!!

In Aug 2008, my daughter became pregnant with her second child. I became her full time care giver. She lives next door, thank the Lord! I was taking care of my home and family plus hers. Her son moved in with us. I slept with him at night. He didn't sleep well. I continued to cook, clean, shop.
I ate very little, just as I went to take a bite daughter would need me.
I drank very little, I have always had a problem rememering to drink.
My father in-law visited nearly every week, or so it seemed. I cooked his meals. He stayed at a motel.
My sister in-law and her husband were having troubles. She needed me.
Each day I grew weaker. Each day I watched my body change and I wondered what was wrong...but I was too busy to do worry about that. I would focus on it after the storm.
In Sept. my daughter had lost the baby, she had a d&c done. I thought life would return to normal and all would be well.
It didn't. I couldn't get up. I was tired. I was thirsty. I was hungry. I slept a lot. And even then I didn't feel like I had slept at all.
On Oct 21, I hugged my 16 year old nephew and told him that I loved him. He had come for pizza. I hugged my children and husband. I laid down and went to sleep. I remember nothing else. Though my family has told me that I continued to move about the house.
I was asleep until the morning of Oct 24. My husband realized something was wrong, I was walking around the house naked, flipping on lights, talking to people who were not there...he rushed me to the ER.
The next thing I recall was a white light and a voice which said, "So, how long you been diabetic and anorexic?"
What?!?
On both charges...never!
On Oct 24, 2008 I was charged with being diabetic and anorexic, I was 41 years old.
As I was leaving the hospital, the doc informed me of "my thyroid problem".

I am still standing strong! I am fighting for my life! I will win!

Ironically it was Nov 1968 when I entered the hospital for the first time and was charged with pneumonia!

Paula

Last edited by Small_1; 04-21-2009 at 07:12 AM..
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #1617
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have been following the candida diet for almost a year. How long should I rotate antifungals before starting a probiotic?
bump for tooter
Old 04-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #1618
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Tooter,

The person I *was* used to take a hamburger patty before adding cheese and wash the grease off. I did not even allow it to cook in grease/fat. I bought the leanest ground beef possible. Wouldn't touch a greasy piece of chicken/meat if my life depended on it. I made a statement once that fatback would never cross these lips. Steaks, no thanks, I felt they were way too fatty. I ate lots of boneless, skinless chicken breast, turkey breast (no skin), and pork chops where the fat & bones had been removed.

Now...
Yes...I am eating lots of fat. My fave snack...fried fatback. I love that stuff! Go figure, eh?

Just for the record, I am battling more than just candida. (anemia, dehydration, migraines, IBS, sinus problems, rheumtoid arthris, hypothyroidism, and diabetes. Due to weight loss I was labeled anorexic as well...nope! simply not true!)

Now for the reason(s) for all the fat:

1. I am underweight. I weighed in last night for Charles (I hate stepping on the scale) and it was 85.2lbs while painfully bloated, fully clothed after supper. About four hours later, still bloated, un-clothed I was 83.2lbs.
PS I had eaten more protein less fat for supper. ugh! I immediately began to feel discomfort.

2. When I was in the hospital in Oct 2008, they told me my body was eating my muscle. I have 0% body fat. I am hoping that my body will begin to burn the fat instead of my muscle for energy.

I hope and pray my body will begin to use the fat for fuel and the protein will begin to re-pair & rebuild my muscles...causing me to regain the weight I lost between Aug-Oct 2008. I could be wrong about this, I am still learning.

Btw, my normal weight has always been between 100-105 lbs.

Paula

Paula, please do not take this the wrong way. You should not be on Atkins or any weight loss program if you're that thin.
You need to gain weight and muscle.
I used to suffer horrible IBS and I also have lupus, so I do understand your struggles, but you cannot find ANY illness if you're underweight as you are.

You need to eat whole foods, clean carbs and you need to get off all diet drinks if you ever want to combat inflammation which is the culprit in IBs and RA.

There is a book you can get for an anti inflammatory diet. Please check that out. And as someone who knows A LOT about auto immune illness, fat and too much protein is NOT healthy for you!

You body will balance if you eat the right foods and you will be amazed how your ailments will lessen or in some case, disappear

hugs

Last edited by Peacesoul; 04-21-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #1619

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
paula,
I am so moved by your story. I am so sorry for all you have been through. I wonder if you are seeing a doctor for your troubles? I have an excellent one I can recommend. She lives in Hendersonville, NC but practices over the border in SC. How far is that for you? I really wish you would see her. She is excellent, she gets it and she has healed herself of rheumatiod arthritis. I went there for what I thought was hypothyroidism and she felt it was more adrenal fatigue. I am currently being treated for that and while there she noticed I had a yeast rash on my face (not candida another strain). So she really knows her stuff. She just gets it. And I love that. She is a DO, as well as an MD. She sees problems that others don't because she connects the dots. It really sounds as though you have had too much stress placed on you and adrenal fatigue is when stress hits and just compounds on top of each stressor. Bless you for all you have been throough. I can put up her link if you wish so you can see for yourself if you want to see her. Just let me know.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #1620
Senior LCF Member

Peacesoul,

I appreciate your advice. I did not take your words in the wrong way. Please don't take any offense in mine.

I have cut the diet drink. Along with splenda and stevia. All I drink is water and coffee.

I am not "doing atkins" *nor am I trying to lose weight*. I am trying to gain.

Thing is I haven't had any major problems with RA. I knit, crochet, do needlework and tat for my own version of physical therapy. *smile* Need a doily? LOL

IBS is another story as the "whole foods" and "clean carbs" were causing me major discomfort.

Also you don't know this but I have spent lots of money in our local health food store.

Organic, and as fresh as possible veggies. Oh and it turns out that the only veggies I have ever eaten allow me to name them:
Okra
Collard Greens
Cabbage
Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes
Corn-on-the-cob
Romaine Lettuce
with the exception of the potatoes are considered by most as low carb. Are they "clean" I don't know.

Whole Foods? Before I was dx diabetic...I made from scratch all my foods. Whether it be BBQ sauce, mashed potatoes, my fabulous whole wheat yeast rolls, the best ingredients I can find are used in making homemade cakes, fresh pasta/noodles, homemade whole wheat tortillas, and homemade moist tender buttermilk biscuits, jelly/jam.

No pre-packaged anything...ever!

My husband's cousin gives us all the honey we want/need.

We only ate out in a restaurant maybe once/twice per month. The food is over-processed and not nearly as wonderful as mine.

When I did snack, I ate unsalted and unbuttered popcorn, cheerios (no milk please), graham crackers (just the old fashioned kind), fresh fruit.

I didn't touch any foods that were process like hot dogs, ham, etc. No msg either. Nothing "fried". No fat...no butter. No chocolate. No candy.

My veggies were either fresh or frozen.

My brother has lots of pecan trees and we have friends who give us fresh peanuts.

I have in my very own yard...apple, peach and plum trees.

I have blueberry bushes and grape vines. I don't grow my own strawberries, but each year travel just a stone throw down the road and pick strawberries and freeze them.
We didn't buy "frozen ice cream" from the grocer...no...we have an old fashioned hand crank ice cream maker.
Butter...would my hand crank churn work?

I have never eaten junk food...except on holidays and special occasions...and then I only ate very baby amounts then.

No eggs. No fish! Just lean turkey, chicken and pork.

I was mostly beginning to lean toward becoming a vegetarian, see?

I have packages of rapadura sugar, and agave necta. I have several un-opened bags of unbleached whole wheat flour from my health food store. I have boxes of flax seed meal and soy flour. I have bags of semonlia flour for making my own pastas and noodles.

When my daddy asked my doc what would have caused my pancreas "to just shut down" the doc said...MILK!!! Really...surely not organic?!????!!! I reckon so!

At the time of dx for the diabetes I only drank two things...100% pure Grape Juice and MILK. I had given up HFCS Mountain Dew long before that. Funny, ain't it? Mountain Dew didn't kill my pancreas it was MILK.

Sorry...whole foods, clean carbs and milk (whether organic or not) will kill some folks. So I don't worry so much about diet sodas.

Peace, Paula

Last edited by Small_1; 04-21-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Closed Thread