LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #1441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Maybe you should start an "Oil Of Oregano" thread in here and keep teaching us.
I think that would be a great topic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #1442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
I ordered Doug Kaufmann's book "The Germ That Causes Cancer." It's been a great read so far, but luckily didn't pay the astronomical $$ that amazon and other sites want for it. It has a great historical overview of fungus' link to disease and I love the anecdotal evidence, but seeing it listed for upwards of $100 is incredible. I Doug, but this book is no where near that valuable!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #1443
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCola View Post
I ordered Doug Kaufmann's book "The Germ That Causes Cancer." It's been a great read so far, but luckily didn't pay the astronomical $$ that amazon and other sites want for it. It has a great historical overview of fungus' link to disease and I love the anecdotal evidence, but seeing it listed for upwards of $100 is incredible. I Doug, but this book is no where near that valuable!
$100!!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #1444
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
[COLOR="Purple"]I was looking on the Vitamin Shoppe's website for OofO and I got to reading their Health Guides. I was reading the one for Chronic Candidiasis and found out some things about its treatment that I didn't know. While this one is particularly good, not all of them are.[/COLOR]
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #1445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCola View Post
This has a been a great topic on several Lyme Disease message boards as well. It's on my list of "must buys"
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #1446
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon for the arthritis in my knee. Because of my weight he won't do a knee replacement, but that's okay for now. What he did do is suggest a cortisone injection. That's about all he could do for me for now. I have bone on bone degeneration of my left knee and a bone spur, so I said okay to the cortisone. The only other thing he could do was give me a prescription of a pain med, Mobic. The cortisone seems to be doing fine right now. I haven't gotten the script filled yet. I'll have to wait a bit before I get that. We'll see how cortisone does over the next few weeks or so. In the mean time, has anyone had experience with cortisone? This is the first time I had anything to do with a steroid. Should I make sure I increase something? [/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png

Last edited by ceccarp; 01-20-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #1447
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I broke down and had a cortisone shot a month ago in my back. I fell in the summer and didn't realize I had a herniated disc (between L4 & L5). I just never stopped to rest and let it heal and it got so bad I had to go to the doctor. They wanted to do surgery, but I am a big chicken and want to try to get it to heal on it's own with rest and physical therapy. The pain was so intense I did get the cortisone shot. I can't take optiates (I'm severly allergic) so that was really my only option for pain relief. The cortisone has helped a lot, and I am actually starting up physical therapy today. I don't have much experience with cortisone other than a month (had the shot a month ago). I have been more grumpy than usual (not sure if it's from the cortisone or because I've been immobile for a month). I haven't stuck to a strict candida diet yet though, I really struggled with it (only tried it for a week) but I have been doing low carb for over a year. I'm going to give the candida diet a try again after my back is healed. I do take cod liver oil, multi vitamin (whole food), local bee pollen every day (thanks to information Fawn provided - there are more but this is what I take without fail). I also use xylitol as a sweetener and noticed that my white tongue is gone (didn't really notice when it happened, one day I looked in the mirror while brushing my teeth and it was pink!). Best of luck to you with your recovery, bone on bone sounds very painful! Sorry I don't have more information regarding what to increase as far as supplements, but if anyone has information I'd love to hear too!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #1448
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy_de_Alabama
Stats: 242/205/155
WOE: ZERO CARB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccarp View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon for the arthritis in my knee. Because of my weight he won't do a knee replacement, but that's okay for now. What he did do is suggest a cortisone injection. That's about all he could do for me for now. I have bone on bone degeneration of my left knee and a bone spur, so I said okay to the cortisone. The only other thing he could do was give me a prescription of a pain med, Mobic. The cortisone seems to be doing fine right now. I haven't gotten the script filled yet. I'll have to wait a bit before I get that. We'll see how cortisone does over the next few weeks or so. In the mean time, has anyone had experience with cortisone? This is the first time I had anything to do with a steroid. Should I make sure I increase something? [/COLOR]
I have experience with Cortisone, and I hope you will find, as I did, that the local injections do not produce the same Candida symptoms as the oral steriods. They didn't seem to affect me at all, yeast-wise.

I took Mobic, though, during the worst of my Candida symptoms and I don't know if it contributed or not. I went off Mobic and my other Rx anti-imflammatory when I started trying to do an anti-yeast diet. My yeast symptoms got alot better, but I can't attribute that to going off the Mobic, since I started the diet at the same time. So, no help there - but I hope your Cortisone experience is the same as mine, meaning no yeast.

My first Cortisone shot in the hip for hip bursitis worked like a charm - for a month. So I got another one and it didn't work at all. :-( I hope yours works better and for longer.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #1449
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Here's something new to confuse and already confused public about nutritional labeling. It's called NuVal, a Nutritional Scoring System that ranks foods from 1 to 100; the higher the number the better the nutritional value.

How is this number figured? Simple. They take all the positive nutrients (Fiber, Folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Calcium, Zinc, Omega-3 fatty acids, Total bioflavanoids, Total carotenoids, Magnesium & Iron) and assign a number to the total. Then they take all the negative nutrients (Saturated fat, Trans fat, Sodium, Sugar & Cholesterol) and assign a number to that total. Then they take into account any Protein quality, Fat quality, Glycemic load & Energy density and add that to the positive nutrients. Then the positive number gets divided the negative number and the result is the NuVal number.

So far it's only in 2 store chains: Price Chopper, a New York State based chain with 116 stores throughout New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire; and Hy-Vee, an Iowa based chain with 225+ stores throughout the Midwest, including Kansas where I am. Apparently they expect to get this system into grocery chains all over the country. I only found out about it because there was a pull-out in the Hy-Vee ad this week. Lots of white space dotted with pictures and graphics, and not much of substance to read. I got most of this info from their website, Nutritional Scoring System.

Personally, I think this is a whole lot of hogwash. It's all well and good for nutritive values to be placed on individual nutrients in foods because that's what has been done for over 50 years and there's good science to back up the numbers. But to lump them all together and assign them some arbitrary number just doesn't seem right to me. While it is true that there is a portion of the consuming public that never even looks at the Nutritional information on food labels, much less knows that they exist, a good share of the public do and make full use of them in deciding what to eat or not eat. I just hope this does not catch on because I feel that Government regulators will look at it and decide that it's more accessible to the public, or some such nonsense.

To me it's confusing because I can't figure out how they are doing the math. I think it so much smoke and mirrors designed to fool the public into thinking their food is more nutritious than it really is.

Any one else care to weigh in (so to speak ) on NuVal?[/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 01-22-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #1450
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_de_Alabama View Post
I have experience with Cortisone, and I hope you will find, as I did, that the local injections do not produce the same Candida symptoms as the oral steriods. They didn't seem to affect me at all, yeast-wise.

I took Mobic, though, during the worst of my Candida symptoms and I don't know if it contributed or not. I went off Mobic and my other Rx anti-imflammatory when I started trying to do an anti-yeast diet. My yeast symptoms got alot better, but I can't attribute that to going off the Mobic, since I started the diet at the same time. So, no help there - but I hope your Cortisone experience is the same as mine, meaning no yeast.

My first Cortisone shot in the hip for hip bursitis worked like a charm - for a month. So I got another one and it didn't work at all. :-( I hope yours works better and for longer.

[COLOR="Purple"]Thanks Kathy. So far I don't seem to have any more yeast symptoms than before the shot. It's weird. I KNOW from experience that a cortisone shot can be very painful, but not this time. The doctor put a numbing spray on the injection site and all I felt was a pressing. Then I felt the sharp pain of the needle and I uttered the F word. Not loud enough for all the other patients in the building to hear, but loud enough for the doctor & his nurse to hear and I said that maybe I couldn't handle the pain of the shot. Thats when he told me that I only reacted to him pulling the needle out. So all the pressing I felt was the needle going in. Cool!

And as long as I'm not twisting my knee into weird positions it's feeling fine. I haven't gotten the Mobic yet as I have to pay a co-pay and right now money is tight until somebody gets paid. I've taken it before and I seem to recall feeling like my heart was beating a little faster, but that may have been something else. My doctor at the time didn't really check into that.

I wish there was something that could be injected to replace the cartilage where it's bone on bone. It's only the inside portion of my knee. The outside portion of the cartilage is still intact, at least for now.[/COLOR]
Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #1451

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Personally, I think this is a whole lot of hogwash
Let's start with the word fiber being under positive nutrients. Fiber is a non-nutritive food. This is going to just confuse people even more and cause them to choose polyunsaturates......
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #1452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Let's start with the word fiber being under positive nutrients. Fiber is a non-nutritive food. This is going to just confuse people even more and cause them to choose polyunsaturates......
saturated fat under the negative nutrients

this reminds me of the 'heart smart' check mark found on foods... I have heard rumblings that companies can pay to have them put on their labels. I have also heard of items in the US who have this that also contain HFCS.

It is just a way to quickly fool people into eating more crap and less nutrient dense foods.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #1453
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: WenB
Stats: 311 (h)/247.8 (i)/241 (c)/20-24% Body Fat (g)
WOE: Lap Band - Atkins Modified for Candida - BMR
Start Date: Induction on 7/22/08; Surgery 12/06
Ahhh, the *wonders* of conventional nutrition.

Everything that's good for you is bad (ie sat fat, meat), and everything that is bad for you is good (ie soy, carbs, etc)
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #1454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I think this is just another way for companies to boost sales from the folks who just don't want to learn about nutrition. Just grab that box or can check the number and you've got a healthy meal.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #1455
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Adri
Hi everybody,
I am from Bosnia originally, sorry for my English, but I read everything you wrote about Candida, and I have to tell you, that I discover all this about 6 months ago.
Let me tell you what I discovered
First of all, I discovered that I didn’t feel 100% well until I cut Kefir and Yougurt. I don’t know why, but I thing that almost everybody who has candida can not tolerate diary product including Kefir and yogurt. Since I cut them, I feel much better.
One more thing you were guys questioning about is spit test.

Somebody was wandering if everybody would fell spit test.
I asked my husband (he has pretty good health) to do spit test.
His spit was nice and clear, floating on a top, noting was falling down.
Me and my son were not so lucky
Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #1456

Hi Adri and welcome. Thank you also for your contribution. It is said that the spit test isn't as accurate.......it's been a tell tale for some of my suspected cllients.

on a side note in case this hasn't been touched on.......
My future daughter in law was at the house the other day (bread, potato and rice junkie) and she has ring worm......classic sign of candida....
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #1457
Junior LCF Member

in my case spit test was correct..because me and my sun, we have a lots of health issues, and as I already said my husband is very healthy, and his spit was clear.

I had ear pain, and many other simptoms that come and go..but there is always one that is there, it moves a little bit up and down, this is pain on a right side under my chest..where liver is..Sometimes I feel this as a pain in a back..sometimes it is upfront..and chills..I have always low grade fever..Now finaly I get that under control, but if I eat any carbs, fever is back,usualy next day.
And I also had gallblader surg 6m ago.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #1458
Junior LCF Member

but I never had any rush , or white thoung (my son has that)..my candida is eating me inside
Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #1459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: princess_tonya
WOE: Anti-Candida and Whole Foods
Start Date: January, 2009
So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about diet and eyesight??? I know that diet effects everything, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much it effects eyesight. I have had glasses since I was two and when I was seven I had surgery on my eyes. I went to the eye doctor last week and this was the first time I have ever been told that I could wear my glasses as I needed them, not just all the time. My prescription is much weaker too.

Edited to add that my daughter got her glasses last march right after she turned two, and we took her back in December and her prescription changed for the better too. She has an astigmatism and it has gotten better. She has been dairy free since she turned one, but in the time from when she first got glasses to when her prescription changed we removed gluten also.
[COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]T[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]S[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]M[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]W[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]R[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]N[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]E[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]S[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]S[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Proud Air Force Wife[/COLOR]

Last edited by princess_tonya; 01-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: I had more info I wanted to share :)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #1460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_tonya View Post
Edited to add that my daughter got her glasses last march right after she turned two,
Absolutely precious
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #1461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:

I have had cortisone shots in the knees with no good results, but when I had one in a torn rotator cuff (before I knew it was torn) it was amazingly less painful for a month or two! Also I have had epidural steroid injections (ESI) with mixed results. As to what it did to my candida -- not sure since that was the least of my worries cuz I hurt so bad. I do hope you get better soon I'm not sure if this would help, but glucosamine is supposed to regrow cartilage and it worked wonders on my knees! Although my cartilage was not all gone -- but it might be worth a try.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #1462

Are you taking cod liver oil? That vitamin A could be a contributor. Is that baby on CLO yet? Get her on it! It's good for her and yes, she is precious. I want pink glasses!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_tonya View Post
So I was wondering if anyone knew anything about diet and eyesight??? I know that diet effects everything, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much it effects eyesight. I have had glasses since I was two and when I was seven I had surgery on my eyes. I went to the eye doctor last week and this was the first time I have ever been told that I could wear my glasses as I needed them, not just all the time. My prescription is much weaker too.

Edited to add that my daughter got her glasses last march right after she turned two, and we took her back in December and her prescription changed for the better too. She has an astigmatism and it has gotten better. She has been dairy free since she turned one, but in the time from when she first got glasses to when her prescription changed we removed gluten also.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #1463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: princess_tonya
WOE: Anti-Candida and Whole Foods
Start Date: January, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Are you taking cod liver oil? That vitamin A could be a contributor. Is that baby on CLO yet? Get her on it! It's good for her and yes, she is precious. I want pink glasses!!!
Thank You, I haven't gotten her on it yet, but I will next week. She absolutely loves her glasses.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #1464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy_de_Alabama
Stats: 242/205/155
WOE: ZERO CARB
Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]Thanks Kathy. So far I don't seem to have any more yeast symptoms than before the shot. It's weird. I KNOW from experience that a cortisone shot can be very painful, but not this time. The doctor put a numbing spray on the injection site and all I felt was a pressing. Then I felt the sharp pain of the needle and I uttered the F word. Not loud enough for all the other patients in the building to hear, but loud enough for the doctor & his nurse to hear and I said that maybe I couldn't handle the pain of the shot. Thats when he told me that I only reacted to him pulling the needle out. So all the pressing I felt was the needle going in. Cool!

And as long as I'm not twisting my knee into weird positions it's feeling fine. I haven't gotten the Mobic yet as I have to pay a co-pay and right now money is tight until somebody gets paid. I've taken it before and I seem to recall feeling like my heart was beating a little faster, but that may have been something else. My doctor at the time didn't really check into that.

I wish there was something that could be injected to replace the cartilage where it's bone on bone. It's only the inside portion of my knee. The outside portion of the cartilage is still intact, at least for now.[/COLOR]
I would be saying the F word, too! Believe me. My shots for the hip were under general anestesia, since they do it under x-ray and need for you to be perfectly still. If that hadn't been the case - oh yeah, I'd be cursing and alot worse than you did!

How is your knee feeling now? Did it take a while for the shot to kick in?

On the Mobic - my mom gave me all kinds of warnings about taking it with water on a full stomach. She was very concerned and really wanted me to make sure I took it JUST RIGHT. I think she thinks it can burn your throat, esophogas and stomach. But, the doctor never mentioned any of that, just my mom. Of course sometimes moms are smarter than doctors, so I thought I'd pass on her advice.

Mobic was never any more effective for me than Ibuprophen. Of course, I had a completely different condition than you do. But I have a copay, too, and I finally realized, after a couple months of taking it, that I was wasting my money. I hope it works better for you.

Last edited by Kathy_de_Alabama; 01-23-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #1465
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Well, this is strange. I was taking VCO and ACV and pau d'arco and GSE regularly until Christmas, when I went back to the US to visit family and friends. I meant to keep it up there, but the virgin coconut oil I got there tasted really bad and I let it all slide. Got back to the UK and noticed that for the first time in a long time my face was not breaking out. I started taking the pau d'arco every day, then added ACV last week, and still no breakout. Yesterday I started adding VCO back in. Took one tablespoon yesterday morning. I noticed that I felt very thick around the middle (I was trying on a suit I bought when I was 20 lbs heavier, and expected it to be looser than it was around the waist), even though my weight is at a new low this week. This morning I had some coconut milk, about 1-1/2 tablespoons. At lunch I had half an apple and a pear with some cheese, along with some meat (the fruit was left over from a house guest and I didn't want it to go bad--I usually have half an apple at most at a time). This afternoon I forgot I'd had the coconut milk, so I had a tablespoon of VCO. Almost immediately I felt nauseous and my stomach hurt and now, a few hours later, I feel so bloated and blah.

I guess it must be die-off, but I was having no symptoms of die-off when I was taking everything including GSE in December, and other than the fruit today I have been eating a very low-carb diet for the past few weeks. I think I'm going to discontinue the VCO for a few days and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #1466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I personally would drop the fruit and not the VCO.

What you are doing is adding fuel to the fire and then trying to put it out.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #1467
Junior LCF Member

every day I eat pink greapfruit, sometimes green apple and now kiwi..I didn't have any problems, but blueberry or rose berry are bringing all my symptoms back.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #1468
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Yes, I'll definitely drop the fruit. I must say I'm reluctant to have the VCO now. I was eating it off the spoon before Christmas, but that one nasty-tasting jar in the US has really put me off. I ate a bad macademia nut decades ago and could never eat them again until recently. However, I will persevere.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #1469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

was it by chance this brand?

That stuff is DISGUSTING I cannot even use it for oil pulling.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #1470

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
was it by chance this brand?

That stuff is DISGUSTING I cannot even use it for oil pulling.

That was the First Coconut oil I ever tried. *shiver* You brought back some bad memories.
Closed Thread