Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #1381
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
There is a new article in the Wall Street Journal about probiotics:Bug Crazy: Assessing The Benefits of Probiotics - WSJ.com Don't know how long you'll be able to access it, but it's interesting reading.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #1382
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats for Texas View Post
Tooter: I took that CURE book seriously and used the Oil of O about every hour. I also put it on my finger tip and swabbed my ear; put it under my nose. (I also doused my cuticles, hands and feet, at night and boy what an improvement... probably just the oil.) I did this overdose routine for 2 months and then gradually tapered to 1-2 times per day, then 1/day, etc. I've never even thought of trying something else, although have never heard of the switch theory. I switched a long time ago to the Oil of O Super Strength and I swear by the N American Herb & Spice brand, although health food stores carry several brands. I buy mine several at a time, online, at luckyvitamins dot com, because it's soooo much cheaper than in stores. Have never checked Netrition, although think I will to see if they carry NAHS. Google NAHS and read about the oil study done by Georgetown U. WEb Address is: North American Herb and Spice - Welcome

BTW, until starting low carb October 2007 (and a short time in 2002), I was HEAVY into carb eating, especially refined carbs.

I read about the "mucous system of the body" in a New York Times article about 8 years ago; then a friend introduced me to the oil of o and I put 2+2... you know. My great MD got very interested in my "cure" and checked with his Weill Cornell Medical School buddies, who apparently confirmed that Oil of O can address problems like mine when they're fungal related. Being, then a typical MD, he didn't go further on the subject. But, at least I felt a bit justified for my obsession with this stuff.

I also use the oil for anything one would think of for antibiotic: sore throat, cuts, burns, etc. Seems to do a great job on everything as far as quick healing goes.

Hope this isn't too much info, but I become quite preacher-esque on the subject.
Thank you. I don't think we can ever have too much info! I guess I am going to have to read the book "The Cure is in the Cupboard". Like I said, I feel my best with "Oil of Oregano". Taking anything else, feels like I am taking a placebo.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #1383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Thanks for the info on Oil of Oregano....I know by talking to other people with Lyme Disease and other co-infections of it that many decide to go off antibiotics and use herbals.......Oil of Oregano being one of them.

Going to look for that book.....thanks Cats for Texas
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #1384
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Excemasucks
Can I ask why your still using anti-fungals? I though you were only supposed to use them for a short time before taking probiotics. After this as long as you avoid the foods for a further year you don't need to take further anti-fungals as the candida is dead. After a year you can re-introduce certain foods but not sugar (which must remain low)

I'm only on stage one (diet and vitamins) but I've read a book on the subject with lots of helpful receipes. In the same book it says we can eat maize (example tortella chips) and other gluten (wheat, oats ect...) as long as you aren't allergic to them. Beat Candida by Erica White is the book and it appears to be working. My tougne is slowly becoming pink again and the thrush is being killed off.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #1385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats for Texas View Post
There is a new article in the Wall Street Journal about probiotics:Bug Crazy: Assessing The Benefits of Probiotics - WSJ.com Don't know how long you'll be able to access it, but it's interesting reading.
[COLOR="Purple"]Thanks for the link. I was able to read the article. WOW! That lady really did her homework! All to often I get the feeling that the many reporters out there just write whatever they're told by "experts", especially on health matters, and don't take the time to really research and report their findings. I'm glad this reporter did. [/COLOR]
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #1386
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Can I ask why your still using anti-fungals? I though you were only supposed to use them for a short time before taking probiotics. After this as long as you avoid the foods for a further year you don't need to take further anti-fungals as the candida is dead. After a year you can re-introduce certain foods but not sugar (which must remain low)

I'm only on stage one (diet and vitamins) but I've read a book on the subject with lots of helpful receipes. In the same book it says we can eat maize (example tortella chips) and other gluten (wheat, oats ect...) as long as you aren't allergic to them. Beat Candida by Erica White is the book and it appears to be working. My tougne is slowly becoming pink again and the thrush is being killed off.
[COLOR="Purple"]When one has candida one is never really "cured". It's like being an alcoholic, one drink and very often the alcoholic is back to drinking. Like they say, "One drink is too much and 100 drinks aren't enough." (I have alcoholics in my family.) To my mind it's because we have to have a certain amount of candida in order for our bodies to properly function so it's very easy for it to go out of control. We may be able to slack off on the amounts of anti-fungals and the like when the candida is back under control, but by going off them all compleatly, the greater the chance of a recurance.[/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #1387
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]I'm off to my first appointment with a new doctor. I hope she's willing to at least talk about candida. We shall see. [/COLOR]
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #1388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
I must say that after having that white coating on my tongue for most of my life, now that it is gone my tongue just does not feel right!

It is super sensitive and it makes my mouth taste funny all the time. It is almost like it is slightly burnt if that makes any sense.. and I cannot WAIT to go get my teeth cleaned next Tues, even though I just had them clean 6 months ago, it feels like they really need it now LOL

Imagine gong through life wearing gloves all the time and then taking them off one day!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccarp View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]I'm off to my first appointment with a new doctor. I hope she's willing to at least talk about candida. We shall see. [/COLOR]
Good Luck!!! Keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #1390

Quote:

Excemasucks, I had to take a deep breath and pause before I posted to you. I honestly don't know if you are pulling my leg or you just don't understand Candida very well.

After giving "pause", I decided to go for the benefit of the doubt. I also remembered, that you are young and living at home, right?

You see, most of us posting on these threads are Women who have been battling this for years. We have tried everything, etc... We also have a lot of "life experience" with it. We know there is no magic cure, and there is no fast cure.

ceccarp is correct. You can NEVER kill all the Candida. Sorry, that just can't happen. Candida is naturally in our gut and it's a "Balance" that we need between that and the good bacteria in our guts. That "Balance" is what makes us healthy and have a healthy immune system.

Not just Sugar encourages Candida...So many things can upset the "Balance" in your gut. Stress, medications, food, hormones, illness, etc...

They are not DUMB either. The longer you have had Candida, the longer it takes to get it and "keep it" in a balance. A lot of people's symptoms will disappear, only for other symptoms to show up and they don't connect the two. Candida is very Opportunistic. If you have read any of this thread...They can (and do) change form and Change the areas, in your body, that they will effect.

I have obviously had this since I was 16 years old. I am 46.

It's not as easy as you are assuming it is.

If the statement that you said was true..."I though you were only supposed to use them for a short time before taking probiotics. After this as long as you avoid the foods for a further year you don't need to take further anti-fungals as the candida is dead. After a year you can re-introduce certain foods but not sugar (which must remain low)" .... Then Why would you need to watch your diet for a year (Just no sugar) if all the Candida is Dead? You wouldn't.

Thus, the reason I am still Taking Antifungals.

Last edited by Tooter; 01-15-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
I must say that after having that white coating on my tongue for most of my life, now that it is gone my tongue just does not feel right!

It is super sensitive and it makes my mouth taste funny all the time. It is almost like it is slightly burnt if that makes any sense.. and I cannot WAIT to go get my teeth cleaned next Tues, even though I just had them clean 6 months ago, it feels like they really need it now LOL

Imagine gong through life wearing gloves all the time and then taking them off one day!

Margot, do you (or have you) ever "Oil Pulled"? I love "Oil pulling". It makes my mouth feel it's cleanest.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #1392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do oil pull! I think that is what helped clear up my tongue so fast.

I also have been brushing with EVCO and Xylitol... I use my fingers to press the CO onto the brush then I dip the coated bristles into the Xylitol. I prefer that to any toothpaste I have ever used..
Old 01-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #1393
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Excemasucks, I had to take a deep breath and pause before I posted to you. I honestly don't know if you are pulling my leg or you just don't understand Candida very well.

After giving "pause", I decided to go for the benefit of the doubt. I also remembered, that you are young and living at home, right?

You see, most of us posting on these threads are Women who have been battling this for years. We have tried everything, etc... We also have a lot of "life experience" with it. We know there is no magic cure, and there is no fast cure.

ceccarp is correct. You can NEVER kill all the Candida. Sorry, that just can't happen. Candida is naturally in our gut and it's a "Balance" that we need between that and the good bacteria in our guts. That "Balance" is what makes us healthy and have a healthy immune system.

Not just Sugar encourages Candida...So many things can upset the "Balance" in your gut. Stress, medications, food, hormones, illness, etc...

They are not DUMB either. The longer you have had Candida, the longer it takes to get it and "keep it" in a balance. A lot of people's symptoms will disappear, only for other symptoms to show up and they don't connect the two. Candida is very Opportunistic. If you have read any of this thread...They can (and do) change form and Change the areas, in your body, that they will effect.

I have obviously had this since I was 16 years old. I am 46.

It's not as easy as you are assuming it is.

If the statement that you said was true..."I though you were only supposed to use them for a short time before taking probiotics. After this as long as you avoid the foods for a further year you don't need to take further anti-fungals as the candida is dead. After a year you can re-introduce certain foods but not sugar (which must remain low)" .... Then Why would you need to watch your diet for a year (Just no sugar) if all the Candida is Dead? You wouldn't.

Thus, the reason I am still Taking Antifungals.
Because you've got it back under control. According to the book I read (link on page 46) once you get it under control in a few months you can re-introduce certain foods and see how you go but not sugar. Then stay off the foods for a year (because sugar and yeast will obviously feed it again) and then you can start eating normally again within reason. Eg no sugar ect... but you can eat cheese again and yeast products in moderation.

This woman has taught thousnads of people and made them better including herself. You have to get the candida balance right in your body again, kill it off with antifungals and then add probiotics, But then according to the book staying off the foods will surfice which makes sense as the balance in your body is now back to normal!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #1394
Junior LCF Member

In other words if you've got the balance of good and bad bacteria right again by folllowing the diet, using antifungals and taking probiotics then it will stay normal unless something like antibiotics or bad eating again knocks it out of whack again... makes sense
Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #1395
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
wow! really? for how long you've been doing this, Margot?
sounds awesome. why do you prefer it? more beneficial?
gets the teeth as clean (or cleaner) than toothpaste?
so the Xylitol protects against tooth decay and the EVCO cleans?
is that how it works?
TIA!

Quote:
I also have been brushing with EVCO and Xylitol... I use my fingers to press the CO onto the brush then I dip the coated bristles into the Xylitol. I prefer that to any toothpaste I have ever used..
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1396

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #1397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
wow! really? for how long you've been doing this, Margot?
sounds awesome. why do you prefer it? more beneficial?
gets the teeth as clean (or cleaner) than toothpaste?
so the Xylitol protects against tooth decay and the EVCO cleans?
is that how it works?
TIA!
a couple of weeks now, the xylitol is for good oral health it has MANY benefits this is why it is good to have gum sweetened with xylitol around (my kids get free reign of it is there is no color or aspartame added..) my dentist recommended it. My kids currently use Tom's with xylitol and no flouride and they love it although I am told to use flouride by my dentist for them

I cannot STAND mint, so toothbrushing has always made me gag...

I run the crystal xylitol through a grinder first to powder it, then it has a little abrasive action but not too much.

Xylitol has been shown to be effective in inhibiting Candida Albicans.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #1398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
No kidding? I have to try that
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #1399
Junior LCF Member

Wait, we can't use proper toothpaste either? This is getting stupid now. One person tells you something and another tells you something else. I'll just do what the book says and follow that diet...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #1400

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #1401
Junior LCF Member

That doesn't help tooter. Candida as a problem is far too complicated. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow so i'm gonna ask for a urine test to see if i have it one way or another. Fingers crossed i don't as it's so ristrictive and hard to deal with...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #1402

Quote:
That doesn't help tooter. Candida as a problem is far too complicated. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow so i'm gonna ask for a urine test to see if i have it one way or another. Fingers crossed i don't as it's so ristrictive and hard to deal with...
It might not help, but it's how I feel when I am frustrated and can't seem to communicate. I actually feel like I am banging my head against a wall.

NO ONE said that you can't use toothpaste.

Margot was just "sharing" what she does.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #1403
Junior LCF Member

Ok, but it wasn't a wild assumption as we're on an anti-candida thread. I don't understand why you're fustrated I'm sharing thoughts with your from a reputable anti-candida book that i bought from amazon. If your bacteria is back in balance in your body (good and bad and the candida is under control again) then you've no need to use anti-fungals. Which it will be if you've followed a four point plan and killed it off. Anyway take care
Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #1404

Gallery: fawn
Margot, I wonder if some additional zinc will help bring your taste bud activity back?

oh and is or has anyone utilized Pau d' Arco and what was your experience?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #1405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Margot, I wonder if some additional zinc will help bring your taste bud activity back?

oh and is or has anyone utilized Pau d' Arco and what was your experience?
I will look into that thanks! I used pau d'arco along with the other antifungals back in oct or whenever it was and had great success. It is hard to say which one worked the best though LOL

Excema, if you have read my posts I was discussing my white tongue, or lack of it since doing the candida protocol recommended by Bee Wilder who is an expert on candida.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ok, but it wasn't a wild assumption as we're on an anti-candida thread. I don't understand why you're fustrated I'm sharing thoughts with your from a reputable anti-candida book that i bought from amazon. If your bacteria is back in balance in your body (good and bad and the candida is under control again) then you've no need to use anti-fungals. Which it will be if you've followed a four point plan and killed it off. Anyway take care
there are many books and many experts out there on candida.... some of them I do not agree with, nor do many of my low carb friends.

choose whichever one you wish, but the fact is, this is a low carb message board and candida or not, nobody is going to side with ANYONE in the medical field who recommends some of the things you are reading in that book.

If you look hard enough you will find a book or plan that will allow you to eat all those yummy things you appear to refuse to give up. I bet those people will probably sell more books than the ones who tell you to give it all up too.

Fact is, we here at LCF have ALREADY given up that crap, and none of us are about to add it back in, nor are we going to tell anyone to go ahead and eat it.

and yes, my white tongue had everything to do with candida... but it is no longer white so I was sharing my experience with my new found non-whiteness.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
It might not help, but it's how I feel when I am frustrated and can't seem to communicate. I actually feel like I am banging my head against a wall.

NO ONE said that you can't use toothpaste.

Margot was just "sharing" what she does.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #1408
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
there are many books and many experts out there on candida.... some of them I do not agree with, nor do many of my low carb friends.

choose whichever one you wish, but the fact is, this is a low carb message board and candida or not, nobody is going to side with ANYONE in the medical field who recommends some of the things you are reading in that book.

If you look hard enough you will find a book or plan that will allow you to eat all those yummy things you appear to refuse to give up. I bet those people will probably sell more books than the ones who tell you to give it all up too.

Fact is, we here at LCF have ALREADY given up that crap, and none of us are about to add it back in, nor are we going to tell anyone to go ahead and eat it.

and yes, my white tongue had everything to do with candida... but it is no longer white so I was sharing my experience with my new found non-whiteness.
[COLOR="Purple"]The teeth should be white, not the tongue. I'm sorry, you left me a straight line.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that funny. But I was amused.

Exema, what's the title of the book? I'm interested in reading it and seeing what the author has to say. I know you've said, but honestly, I don't feel like wading through the posts to find it. Thanks,[/COLOR]
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #1409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
I forgot to mention that I put the oil of o under my tongue since it's suppose to work better. There's a period in which you must get used to the oil since it it very hot and spicy, so at first I'd mix a tiny bit of water with it and hold it under my tongue until I couldn't stand it; then swallow the oil and drink some water.

I had a cat with lung lesions and as he aged he would get terrible inflammation in the lungs and cough and cough. Before thinking of the oil of o we gave him cortisone shots every 6 weeks. Thin a bright light: if it worked for me... So knowing he'd not tolerate oil under the tongue (like trying to drive a herd of cats!) I bought the gel caps and did the same "overdose" routine with him. It worked for the rest of his life (he passed away last fall from cancerous growths). So, he, like I, benefited greatly.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #1410
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Saw my new doctor. She's really nice. I was smart and made up a list of all the supplements I'm taking. She was worried that I wasn't getting enough Vitamin D (400 UI) and told me bring it up to 1000 IU. As she looked at the list I asked her if she knew what they were and what they were for. So I did have to point some out to her, like the O of O and the Grapefruit Seed Extract, along with one I take for Underactive Thyroid (Bladderwrack Thallus extract) and one for cholesterol (Red Yeast Rice).

I told her I had toe nail fungus and that I felt I had a systemic yeast problem, but that was toward the end of the visit so it might not have registered with her. But she didn't just dismiss it out of hand, either. So it will take a couple of visits to get a feel as to whether she thinks Systemic Candida is bunk or not.

I have Osteo-arthritis, so discussion about that took up most of the visit. But I like her. She's young (for a doctor), skinny as a rail, and seemed open to things.

Her nurse seemed a little off-putting, but she may have been having a bad day. I always like to give the benefit of the doubt unless the person is a first-class, A-number-1 Jerk who ticks me off to the nth degree. Those people will just feel my wrath!

I was surprised to find my blood pressure down to normal levels; 120/80. I've had it as high as 200/200 in my left arm and 200/190 (I think) in my right. The doctor was amazed I was upright and walking around. The last time I was under a doctor's care I would consistently have a BP of around 150/90, sometimes more, so I was put on medication. I really wasn't happy about it, but I took it. Now it's low all by itself. I don't know how.

The one thing I'm ticked off at myself for is my weight. I've been around 365 for quite a few years. Usually the balance beam scales at doctor's offices only go up to 350. If they needed a higher weight measure there was a special weight they can get that can be put on the cross beam that helps the scale register up to 450, though the weight had to be special ordered. Well this doctor's office scale can go up to 400 all by itself without the added weight. So, I stepped on the scale and I moved the weight things all the way up to 400 and while it didn't just slam the indicator all the way up, it bounced and mostly indicated I was closer to 400 lbs than I cared to think. It's a good thing I'm 5'4" or I'd really look like a blob. Soooooo, I guess going low carb is the way to go. I have to lose weigh, especially with the arthritis. Good thing my BF has really gotten into this WOE. He is helping me keep on track. He focuses so much better than I. He's my self-described math and computer programing geek. [/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 01-15-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Closed Thread