LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #1291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
Sorry, I like a little more fact - eg this is the problem and here's what will definitely sort it out. But because doctors son't regonize the problem I guess we won't get that anytime soon...
Everyone would like that. It would be a lot easier. But it doesn't exist at the present time. As everyone else has said, you would be well advised to read this entire thread, which I am pretty sure you haven't done because a lot of your objections are already addressed in it.

This is a candida thread, but it is on a low-carb forum. Do you really think people here are going to say "cure candida by eating a loaf of bread a day"?

I'm going to take a wild guess that you are in the UK. I think you will have even more trouble finding doctors who know much about candida there.

Quote:
Also joining in with a discussion (even if you don't like what's being said) isn't being a troll.
You're absolutely right about that. Being a troll is coming into a forum and making unfounded statements and arguing with people who tell you why they're erroneous and telling them they aren't doctors and their personal experience is wrong. Over and over again.

You came here 11 days ago and posted this:

Quote:
I've registered to talk about this problem which seems to be ruining my life

I have Excema which I've had since a child. When I was a teenager I had antibiotics for acne for about a year and a half plus other antibiotics through-out my life. I have a white coating on my tounge and aches and pains. I seem to be ok in the day (daylight) but on a night house lights annoy me. I prefer a dark environment. I also have some short term memory loss and weapy excema on my face (which could be yeast related) I've had swobs and I'm waiting for the results from my face and tounge. I've had this on my tougne for about four years but always thought it was due to a dry mouth. I have trouble sleeping. I came across candida by accident while searching for a wheat allergy and immediately went on the diet.
Do you want to do something about your problems, or do you want to tell people here their ideas are rubbish? Read through the thread and pay attention. Ask questions. Learn.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #1292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
Barry Grove's new book Trick & Treat is making me even than GCBC.

I didn't think I could get any more

for Barry Groves for taking a stand and publishing the truth we all need to hear.

If you liked GCBC, you will LOVE T&T.. and it is an easier read.

Barry and Gary
Good thing I enjoy reading
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #1293
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Excemasucks
Fair enough but the more I've read about it the more I realise that it's not medically proven. So, if my Doctor doesn't believe in the problem then why should I? He knows more about health then I do. Not just my doctor either, my sisters doctor and other friends. I will see a dietian and work through this with them. Because I've read too many reports on the net of people following candida diets and losing too much weight and ending up ill. Being a troll is hanging around and causing trouble on a forum which wasn't my intention. However theres nothing wrong with a good debate or even a healthy argument.

Enjoy your new year
Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1294
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Tooter hit the nail on the head regarding Dr's and I'll share my experience as well. I decided to go to the Dr. with my daughter who is overweight, suffers rash, flaking scalp, athletes foot and has that foggy feeling as if though the whole day has been surreal. When I asked her Dr. about the possibility of candida (which I'm sure she has due to the years of birth control pills, her consumption of refined foods as well as several bouts of antibiotics. The Dr's EXACT words were

"I don't diagnose stuff like that"

When speaking with a nautropath about my daughter, her first words were "Has she done a thorough candida cleanse?"

I too hope you find peace in whole foods.

Balancing the body is the first step to wellness.

Understanding truly which macronutrients best benefit your frame will be a journey I hope you discover.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Everything I've told you comes from qualified doctors of which you are not. Wheat is good for your heart and general health. All of the foods you mention are good for you in small amounts and eliminating them completley is bad for you. These foods contain vitamins and minerals too.

You're becoming defensive because you can't offer any proof that candida exists or that there's such a thing as system candida, I was asking nicely where the proof is? But as we know there isn't any so everything is a wild guess. the reason these sites tell you different things is because they don't know - they are guessing. How does eliminating tea and coffee help for example? Do you realise that probiotics live on sugar? So probiotics are putting some sugar in your body. How does the yeast know not to feed on these? it doesn't...

The truth is anyone would feel better if they stopped eating sugar and yeast products. Doesn't mean you have a candida problem. Which is all I'm trying to tell you. I don't know whether I have one either and until I've seen a nurse next week. My allergy results came back normal so I'm not allergic to wheat, eggs, milk or yeast.

I'm saying look at both sides of the coin and don't believe everything you read on the internet. And once again how many people have died because of systemic canida and wheres the proof?

I need to know so that I can determine how serious it may be. But no figures exist to back up what you're all saying...
Well why is that my Integrative Doc can treat me for candida and even use candida as the DX code and have my insurance pay for it? If it was hokey dokey the insurance companies would fight tooth and nail to even pay for my treatments and furthermore, I was treated for hypothyroidism in the past even though all my tests came back normal. Many many lab tests are very unreliable and if a qualified doctor feels they want to treat you clinically by your symptoms then they will.

Last edited by Linny; 12-29-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #1296
Senior LCF Member

Excema, please listen to yourself: You say your doctor knows more about health than you do, but you also say that you have suffered with a coated tongue, weeping excema, light sensitivity, aches and pains, and a host of other problems for years. If your doctor knows so much, why has he or she not cured you?

Nobody wants you to go away. Everyone wants you to get better. But it's hard to help you when you post things like "I've read too many reports on the net of people following candida diets and losing too much weight and ending up ill". It's the first I've heard of that happening, and I couldn't find anything about it when I Googled it. If you have a concern like that, how about providing a link to one of those reports and asking about it?

Last edited by MarcellaSF; 12-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1297

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Fair enough but the more I've read about it the more I realise that it's not medically proven. So, if my Doctor doesn't believe in the problem then why should I? He knows more about health then I do. Not just my doctor either, my sisters doctor and other friends. I will see a dietian and work through this with them. Because I've read too many reports on the net of people following candida diets and losing too much weight and ending up ill. Being a troll is hanging around and causing trouble on a forum which wasn't my intention. However theres nothing wrong with a good debate or even a healthy argument.

Enjoy your new year
Your Doctor Doesn't believe in the problem, so why should you?

That's a good question.

I guess it comes down to your first post in this thread (and on this site) that you had all kinds of symptoms that they couldn't fix/cure. You went (partially) on the diet and your symptoms got better.

But, since your doctor doesn't believe it, you'll go back to eating all that...

I guess it was all in your head, if it wasn't real and couldn't be proven.

That's what you doctor will tell you.

Then you'll go back to square one (with all your symptoms) and as you get older and your diet is still poor (High carbohydrate) your symptoms will change and get worse. You no longer will be able to get the nutrition you need from your food (because of leaky gut from Candida) etc...

Where do you turn for help and relief? The Doctor says it's not real, and it must be in your head.

Most of us have been there.

My biggest Proof to me, is ME.

I no longer have symptoms. I no longer feel sick. Now, I would like to ensure that the Candida imbalance (that isn't real) stays at a balance.
Thus, the reason that I am here wanting to learn all I can.

I'm sorry but your stance just doesn't seem logical to me.

If you shouldn't worry about it, because your doctor doesn't, then why were you here in the first place?

You sound like someone who is having food cravings and wants an excuse to eat the very foods that are causing you problems.

Go ahead. Eat them. You don't need anyone's permission.

It's a "Choice". All we did, was let you know (inform you) that those very foods could be making it worse.

You can ignore us and your own bodies reactions and choose to hear what you want to hear, but will that make you better?

That's your choice.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #1298

Good points tooter. And eczema??? I'm quite confident that if you went to your Dr. and asked for something for your heartburn, he'd give you a little pink pill rather than advise you to check into your nutrition. As well, you would be put on a pill for your elevated cholesterol without further testing such as that of the particle size of your LDL, and with a normal TSH your Dr. would send you on your merry way though you were losing your hair, sluggish and gaining weight telling you with a nice pat...."don't worry, it's just age"

Be your own advocate! Don't allow the mainstream medical dictate the precious balance of your body.

Oh and by the way, you can achieve any result you would like by google and how you enter it into the search bar..........I challenge you to read some highly respected books like Michael Murray's Encyclopedia of Natural Foods, The Diet Cure by Julia Ross....those two give you a good start. Let me know when you're finished with those....I can come up with more.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #1299
Nik
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nik
Stats: (299) 295/287/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/25/07; 1/4/09; 8/28/12
Excema: You asked why no one told you to see your doctor. I would like to repeat myself from a few days ago. (7:28 am, December 20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
If you're looking for a scientific, black and white, prescribed solution to your health issues, you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.

Personal, natural health MAINTENANCE is a personal choice that involves a good deal of speculation, experimentation, and time. This thread should give you ideas of how to experiment with your own health, to your level of comfort.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #1300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
[COLOR="Purple"]I just went and did the Candida Test and "Your score is 295, or 52%". ACK!!!!

And this morning I have a headache and am fighting drowsiness. I'm guessing it came from the 2 small slices of extra sharp cheddar I had this morning. Either that or from the 10 oz glass of milk I drank when taking my vitamins and calcium supps. Tomorrow is payday! My BF gets paid on the 1st & 15th unless it's a holiday (the day before) or a weekend (the Friday before). So tomorrow I can hit the health food store and get the ACV and CO. I have EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), but I wonder, is there one brand that's better than another?[/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccarp View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]I just went and did the Candida Test and "Your score is 295, or 52%". ACK!!!!

And this morning I have a headache and am fighting drowsiness. I'm guessing it came from the 2 small slices of extra sharp cheddar I had this morning. Either that or from the 10 oz glass of milk I drank when taking my vitamins and calcium supps. Tomorrow is payday! My BF gets paid on the 1st & 15th unless it's a holiday (the day before) or a weekend (the Friday before). So tomorrow I can hit the health food store and get the ACV and CO. I have EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), but I wonder, is there one brand that's better than another?[/COLOR]
Bragg's raw Apple Cider Vinegar is GREAT!!! For Virgin Coconut oil, Nutiva is a very good brand. I like the taste and the quality. In a pinch, I will get Virgin coconut oil at walmart (in the vitamin Supplement section) and it works just as good.

For Extra Virgin Olive oil, make sure it's cold pressed. I haven't found a "brand" that I am partial too. Cold pressed is what's important. There is no "Heating" in the process that can damage the oil.

Hope that helped.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #1302

Interestingly enough, when I checked my e-mail this morning, Mercola had a blurb about eczema and its nasty relationship and allergin wheat

eczemasucks, just an FYI for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Interestingly enough, when I checked my e-mail this morning, Mercola had a blurb about eczema and its nasty relationship and allergin wheat

eczemasucks, just an FYI for you.
I saw that too!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #1304
Junior LCF Member

I've been tested for allergy to wheat and i'm ok. Thanks for the info though...

The candida tests should be taken with a pinch of salt as the questions are written in such a way that anyone will answer yes to most of them.

For example have you ever taken antibiotics? Who hasn't?

And so on...

I think foods have to build up in your body to cause a problem. Just my opinion but i don't see how a glass of milk could cause a problem. Maybe a pint yes... same with two cheese slices. I think we can become over paranoid about what we eat. I find it difficult to stick to the diet as theres nothing much i can eat. Example no snacks means no nuts, crisps or sweets and no rivitta ect... so i'd always be hungry. I do weights and have a high matabalism... I eat quite a lot and find that without cereals, bread ect... it's hard to know what to eat. It's too expensive and too hard to eat veg and meat all the time...
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #1305
Senior LCF Member

How about eggs, since it turns out you're not allergic to them?

Glad to see you back, by the way.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #1306

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:

The candida tests should be taken with a pinch of salt as the questions are written in such a way that anyone will answer yes to most of them.

And so on...

I think foods have to build up in your body to cause a problem. Just my opinion but i don't see how a glass of milk could cause a problem. Maybe a pint yes... same with two cheese slices. I think we can become over paranoid about what we eat. I find it difficult to stick to the diet as theres nothing much i can eat. Example no snacks means no nuts, crisps or sweets and no rivitta ect... so i'd always be hungry. I do weights and have a high matabalism... I eat quite a lot and find that without cereals, bread ect... it's hard to know what to eat. It's too expensive and too hard to eat veg and meat all the time...
You may not have a wheat allergy but you could have an intolerance to it. You could try an elimination diet to see if your excema is a hereditary condition or what food triggers it for you.

Foods Causing Eczema........Which Foods Cause Eczema
Which Foods Cause Eczema - Foodintol
Old 12-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #1307
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
How about eggs, since it turns out you're not allergic to them?

Glad to see you back, by the way.

Yeah eggs are a good option now. I'm not great at cooking food. I really need to learn...

Thanks

I'll try the wheat elimination soon.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #1308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
My sister is not 'allergic' to yeast, but if someone so much as breathes gluten on her she may as well stay in bed for the next 3 days. She is not celiac either... but her symptoms got worse after she eliminated wheat and gluten. She could very well be 'allergic' now if she were tested again... but she definitely has an 'intolerance' which appears to be not the same as an allergy. (no histamines?)

Rashes, sweats, bloating (she is thin, but will look 6 months pregnant the next day and cannot do up her pants), irritable, acne, crusty scalp, hands that smell like vomit, and needing a bathroom with a fan within 20 minutes and even nightmares to name just a few things. She will get a rash around her mouth if her daughter kisses her after eating a cracker or cookie. She can only use WHEAT/GLUTEN free soaps and shampoos, that is unbelievably hard to find where she lives.

She has not been able to eat out at a restaurant for over 4 years unless it is a place like the Outback which has a gluten free menu.. eating at someone else's house is not going to happen either.. she has her own bakeware, butter and mayo at her own home..

it is amazing how good she feels when she DOESN'T eat something she is not 'allergic' to

She spent most of the first 14 years of her life on antibiotics for tonsilitis and was the only kid who would have tossed the wiener or pizza topping to eat the bread... she craved bread like there was no tomorrow. Giving up bread for her was harder than quitting smoking.

Last edited by Margot 65; 12-30-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #1309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Glad you are still here, Excema. After you try eliminating wheat, you might consider sprouted grain bread, like Ezekiel. Diabetic DH and I do good on it, but not on bread made of flour. Big difference. There are other brands as well. Trader Joes and most health food stores carry them, some groceries with health sections too. You can find tortillas and raisin English muffins in sprouted grain too. I'm still watching for toaster waffles in sprouted grain.

When I first noticed a wheat problem, I had bought granola trying to 'eat better.' I absolutely could not pass the box and ate it by the handful. Surgared to make it even worse for me. My nose and sinuses swelled shut, my eyes and ears had problems, and I began to wheeze in my chest. Threw it out and was better the next day.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #1310

Quote:
Yeah eggs are a good option now. I'm not great at cooking food. I really need to learn...

Thanks

I'll try the wheat elimination soon.
It's good to see you back. Just like Margot said, you might not have an allergy to wheat, but you might not be able to tolerate it.

Like I said, most of us have been there with the doctors and "testing" and the test all come back and say we are "Fine", but the symptoms still remain.

That's what the Candida Diet does. It's an elimination diet, that helps you see which foods really bother you.

I learned, early on, it was wheat and sugar.

Allergy testing is a nightmare. Would you believe I spent $500 on allergy testing for one of my dogs who had (what appeared to be) a horrible case of Allergies. Guess what? The test came back "No allergies".

Yes, believe it or not, my dog had "Yeast Issues" from the High grade, Kibble food she was eating. I "Home cook" for her now and she is doing fantastic).
I wish I could feed her raw, but she is one of 3 big dogs (that we have) and I just couldn't afford it.

The "question" Yeast test is actually good. Hear me out. There are different levels of "Candida". Pretty much, 85% of the population has a problem with this Yeast, due to Antibiotics, birth control pills and a highly processed, High carbohydrate diet. It truly is a Modern disease.

I was on antibiotics for 2 years straight (When I was 16) for Acne.
I also had other "factors". I was anorexic/bulimic as a Teen. I then got married and had 4 children in 6 years. That's a huge toll on my body.

Once you have a round of antibiotics, it puts your flora at an imbalance. It destroyed the good bacteria and that can't come back unless you use probiotics.

As I said, the "Degree" to which a person is suffering from Candida varies.

Some people have signs of it, but it really doesn't bother them and they don't want to do anything about it.

Each person's symptoms are totally different. Symptoms also can "Change" due to stress, diet and more antibiotics and other medications.

It's a Journey, For sure. lol
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #1311
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
She is not celiac either... but her symptoms got worse after she eliminated wheat and gluten
Margot, do you meant her symptoms got better?

Ecxema, scrambled eggs are easy. Melt some butter in a frying pan. When it sizzles, crack in a couple eggs, then stir them around quickly with a spatula until they're done as much as you want them to be. Put some salt and pepper on top and eat them. (This is my lazy way of doing it--you can also beat them up before you put them in the pan.)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #1312

Quote:

And so on...

Excemasucks, How about we start a different thread in this room, where each of us can come in and teach you about Low carb and the Candida Diet?
It also might be helpful to others who are "wondering" about it too.

What do you think?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #1313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
(from a post back on Oct 8, 2008) Another tidbit I picked up from "The Diet Cure" is that a diseased gallbladder can contribute to continual yeast problems. I have seen a lot of posts from people lately who have gallbladder problems and don't want them out-this condidtion could be contributing to other health problems besides the gallbladder ones.
[COLOR="Purple"]I had Gall Stones 17 years ago and had my gallbladder subsequently removed by laproscopic surgery. If I had known then what I know now I would never have had the surgery. I haven't been the same since and I think this was the beginning of my yeast problems. I'm sure it started years earlier when I was 5 and had my tonsils removed. I don't know for sure if I had a course of antibiotics then, but I wouldn't doubt it. I'm 54 now and the standard 50 years ago was different than now, so I can't be sure.

I probably should give some of my background in my fight with Candida. Except for the tonsillitis I was a pretty healthy kid. Though as a kid I did have to have my stomach pumped twice. Once after I had gotten into some rat poison someone had put out in an old tree stump out in a field near our house, and once after getting into some of my mom's diet pills.

My mom and grandmother (mom's mom) both had toenail fungus. Grandma's was so bad that she had to have her shoes specially stretched to accommodate her super thick nails. Mom's toenails were not as bad, but if she hadn't worn sandals as often as she did they would have been worse. I don't remember Grandma ever taking off her shoes except to bathe or go to bed. I have toenail fungus, too, but my nails still look "normal". Though they are getting thicker. And my fingernails have developed ridges and have been splitting and chipping more lately.

I am a big gal and have had a weight problem ever since I started school. I have pictures of my at age 4 and I a "normal" sized little girl. Then when started 1st grade I started gaining extra weight and mom had to start buying my clothes in the "Chubbies" section. And it's gotten worse over the years. My weight has topped off officially at 401 lbs. I've tried to diet over the years and finally decided to let my body tell me what it wanted to weigh. I think that's partially why I did manage to loose 15 lbs. Then after I had the gallbladder surgery I started having problems with my stomach. So much so that I could no longer sleep on my stomach. If I did I would have pain. I equated it with feeling like I had gotten kicked in the stomach. I went to the doctor and he sent me to have an upper GI done. I was diagnosed with GERD and prescribed Nexium(R), but stopped taking it when I discovered a way to lay down that helped stop any reflux. It works for the most part.

About this time a friend was having yeast problems. She'd get a vaginal yeast infection and when she would try using plain yogurt she'd end up with a rash from her waist to knees. Her doctor wanted to prescribe antibiotics but she said no and went to a Chinese Acupuncturist who told her she had a Systemic Yeast problem and prescribed a change in diet and Chinese Herbs. She suggested that I might have a Yeast problem and told me what foods to avoid; wheat, yeast, all sugars and sweeteners, mushrooms, and no fermented foods like cheese, alcohol, vinegars, etc. And only supplements I knew about were the ones her acupuncturist had prescribed for her.

So after a while I started to feel better, but since I didn't know what else to do I started feeling bad again. I don't know when but I got ahold of a booklet about Candida and started researching it. It became my "cause Celeb". It got to the point where friends didn't want to talk to me because Candida and it's related syndromes was all I would talk about. Especially when I found the books The Yeast Connection by William Crook, MD and The Yeast Syndrome by John P. Trowbridge, MD. And it was in the Trowbridge book where I discovered a list of foods that I could eat without problems.

The eating plan was called the MEVY diet: Meat, Eggs, Vegetables, and Yogurt. It also had a few recipes including a Mayonnaise recipe that I posted on the Recipe forum. I did really well on that eating plan until I had ended up in the hospital with cellulitis in my left leg and had to have IV antibiotics. And after I got out I had to take Augmentin(R), which is primarily 1000 mgs of amoxicillin per tablet. I had to take 2 of them twice a day for 10 days. After that I had my first ever vaginal yeast infection and I've had problems ever since. I have been trying to get back into the eating plan, but then my sugar craving would kick in and.... well... I'd give in to it and binge on whatever sugary stuff I could get my hands on. The only think I would do on a semi-regular basis was drink pau d'Arco tea sweetened with Stevia.

So now my gut is giving me problems again. My ears are ringing and itching, my skin is dry and flaky, I'm having sinus problems, I've had a headache off and on for several months, and my urine is cloudy. Well, I don't know if that last one is a symptom of Candida, but who knows.

So now life is calming down for me and my BF and I'm going to get back to the eating plan. I'll be including my BF in the eating plan cause he has candida, too, and will eat whatever I make, so I don't have to cook for just me. (My Ex-hubby is 5'2" and maybe 105 soaking wet. He can eat whatever he wants and still lose weight. I'm jealous. He just didn't want to eat what I cooked. )

So that's my story, for the most part. I just wish I had some CO and some ACV now so I can start back on my path to wellness. Well, tomorrow will be here soon enough.[/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 12-30-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #1314
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

And so on...

[COLOR="Purple"]Count yourself lucky you don't have to live with my problems. In fact I decided to test how the headache started, so I went the whole day without eating other problems foods (which wasn't much since I can't go shopping until tomorrow) while the headache subsided. Then as I was making dinner I had another couple of small slices and, sure enough, the headache came back. So I guess it's no more Kroger Extra Sharp Cheddar for me.

Too hard to eat veg and meat?? Wow! That statement tells me two things. You either a) don't like to cook, or b) don't know how to cook. Please correct me if I'm wrong. **sigh** I would suggest either learning to cook or finding a sympathetic friend who does. IMO you need to learn to cook because then you'll discover that meat and veggies are very easy to cook and are quite tasty.

ADDED: Okay, just read through the thread and saw where you had issues with cooking. Sounds like you could use Tyler Florence from the the Food Network's Food 911.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 12-30-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccarp View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]I had Gall Stones 17 years ago and had my gallbladder subsequently removed by laproscopic surgery. If I had known then what I know now I would never have had the surgery. I haven't been the same since and I think this was the beginning of my yeast problems. I'm sure it started years earlier when I was 5 and had my tonsils removed. I don't know for sure if I had a course of antibiotics then, but I wouldn't doubt it. I'm 54 now and the standard 50 years ago was different than now, so I can't be sure.

I probably should give some of my background in my fight with Candida. Except for the tonsillitis I was a pretty healthy kid. Though as a kid I did have to have my stomach pumped twice. Once after I had gotten into some rat poison someone had put out in an old tree stump out in a field near our house, and once after getting into some of my mom's diet pills.

My mom and grandmother (mom's mom) both had toenail fungus. Grandma's was so bad that she had to have her shoes specially stretched to accommodate her super thick nails. Mom's toenails were not as bad, but if she hadn't worn sandals as often as she did they would have been worse. I don't remember Grandma ever taking off her shoes except to bathe or go to bed. I have toenail fungus, too, but my nails still look "normal". Though they are getting thicker. And my fingernails have developed ridges and have been splitting and chipping more lately.

I am a big gal and have had a weight problem ever since I started school. I have pictures of my at age 4 and I a "normal" sized little girl. Then when started 1st grade I started gaining extra weight and mom had to start buying my clothes in the "Chubbies" section. And it's gotten worse over the years. My weight has topped off officially at 401 lbs. I've tried to diet over the years and finally decided to let my body tell me what it wanted to weigh. I think that's partially why I did manage to loose 15 lbs. Then after I had the gallbladder surgery I started having problems with my stomach. So much so that I could no longer sleep on my stomach. If I did I would have pain. I equated it with feeling like I had gotten kicked in the stomach. I went to the doctor and he sent me to have an upper GI done. I was diagnosed with GERD and prescribed Nexium(R), but stopped taking it when I discovered a way to lay down that helped stop any reflux. It works for the most part.

About this time a friend was having yeast problems. She'd get a vaginal yeast infection and when she would try using plain yogurt she'd end up with a rash from her waist to knees. Her doctor wanted to prescribe antibiotics but she said no and went to a Chinese Acupuncturist who told her she had a Systemic Yeast problem and prescribed a change in diet and Chinese Herbs. She suggested that I might have a Yeast problem and told me what foods to avoid; wheat, yeast, all sugars and sweeteners, mushrooms, and no fermented foods like cheese, alcohol, vinegars, etc. And only supplements I knew about were the ones her acupuncturist had prescribed for her.

So after a while I started to feel better, but since I didn't know what else to do I started feeling bad again. I don't know when but I got ahold of a booklet about Candida and started researching it. It became my "cause Celeb". It got to the point where friends didn't want to talk to me because Candida and it's related syndromes was all I would talk about. Especially when I found the books The Yeast Connection by William Crook, MD and The Yeast Syndrome by John P. Trowbridge, MD. And it was in the Trowbridge book where I discovered a list of foods that I could eat without problems.

The eating plan was called the MEVY diet: Meat, Eggs, Vegetables, and Yogurt. It also had a few recipes including a Mayonnaise recipe that I posted on the Recipe forum. I did really well on that eating plan until I had ended up in the hospital with cellulitis in my left leg and had to have IV antibiotics. And after I got out I had to take Augmentin(R), which is primarily 1000 mgs of amoxicillin per tablet. I had to take 2 of them twice a day for 10 days. After that I had my first ever vaginal yeast infection and I've had problems ever since. I have been trying to get back into the eating plan, but then my sugar craving would kick in and.... well... I'd give in to it and binge on whatever sugary stuff I could get my hands on. The only think I would do on a semi-regular basis was drink pau d'Arco tea sweetened with Stevia.

So now my gut is giving me problems again. My ears are ringing and itching, my skin is dry and flaky, I'm having sinus problems, I've had a headache off and on for several months, and my urine is cloudy. Well, I don't know if that last one is a symptom of Candida, but who knows.

So now life is calming down for me and my BF and I'm going to get back to the eating plan. I'll be including my BF in the eating plan cause he has candida, too, and will eat whatever I make, so I don't have to cook for just me. (My Ex-hubby is 5'2" and maybe 105 soaking wet. He can eat whatever he wants and still lose weight. I'm jealous. He just didn't want to eat what I cooked. )

So that's my story, for the most part. I just wish I had some CO and some ACV now so I can start back on my path to wellness. Well, tomorrow will be here soon enough.[/COLOR]
L-Glutamine is an amino Acid that helps with cravings and also with healing "Leaky Gut" that Candida can cause. It might be helpful for you.

Do some searches on it.

Take this one step at a time. Don't try and do every thing at once.

Start out with "Diet" and L-Glutamine to help with your cravings.

Once you get that under your belt, you can then start in with an antifungal.

Get used to that, and then add in probiotics.

You don't want to be over whelmed with Die off and trying to do every thing all at once will give your horrible "die off".

Take things one step at a time.

As far as "Diet", you might want to start out with Regular Atkins Induction. A lot of people get "induction Flu" from just doing that. We have talked in this thread before that the "Induction Flu" sounds like "Die off".

Anyways, once you get Atkins Induction under your belt, you could then take it farther by eliminating Dairy and going stricter to a Candida diet for awhile.

The important thing is take it slow. One step at a time.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #1316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
Margot, do you meant her symptoms got better?

No, she is actually less tolerant of gluten now.. or it so appears that way.

She never felt good her entire adult life (she is 40 now), but now that she feels so much better, a teeny bit of gluten makes her feel worse than she ever did.

She is hoping that she will eventually be able to to eat with less diligence... hence: healing her gut. To be able to use regular table salt and spices for example.. stuff we all take for granted everyday that are not 'gluten free' specifically.

She learned a lot by reading about candida and because she never had a weight problem, she never thought about limiting sugar and carbs. She would eat loads of gluten free bread and other higher carb items without a second thought.

She is coming around, I sent her a copy of the Diet Cure for her birthday and she is now taking some steps in eating better and eliminating more carbs and eating more wholesome, whole foods.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #1317
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Still trolling through the thread and found this from Dec 16, 2008.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Those anti candida diets claiming that cheese can be consumed is one I would not follow.

luckiangel, combinging the L-glute with the L-carn is helpful for cravings.

and Jamie, YMMV but yeast is a powerful fungi and alternating your remedies will be your best choice. This can take up to a year to rid yourself and you may never completely rather just keep it in minute colonies without rearing its ugly head.

I'll give you some exact clear directions on how DH made his colloidal silver machine. It's pretty cool! It was also easy.

a small fish tank pump
tubing
an old printer cord
a 32 oz. mason jar with plasic lid
2 one ounce pure silver bars (99.9%)
Alligator clips

I'll write out the directions and post a photo later this week. He's now putting the CS in his ear as well, drinking it.
[COLOR="Purple"]Thank you, thank you, thank you, Fawn!! Several years ago a friend brought the Ex & I three bottles (as in old wine bottles) full of Colloidal Silver water that she made, telling us about all the great things it can do for folks. She was also a CNA and used it as a foot soak for one of her clients who had really bad toe nail fungus. She told us that the CSW cleared it up. Unfortunately we moved before she could give us more. She told me how she made it, but it sounded so complicated. Now I can look into making my own. EXCELLENT!!!! Can't wait for the instructions.[/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 12-31-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #1318

Cecile
It's the one of the oldest remedies.......used as an antibiotic for over 650 ailments. I gave some to a friend who has a dog that is suffering a hot spot on his paw the dog slept through the night for the first time in 2 weeks after one application!

I'm experimenting now with my 26yo daughter who suffers candida.......this is her first week so I'll keep you all posted....(though with New Years Eve and a 26yo? not sure if there will be interruptions with food/beverage)
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #1319
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Oh yeah, I know. I have a girlfriend who got a really bad UTI for her ex-fiance and was on several courses of antibiotics over several months with the infection coming back after each course was done before he told her, "Ya know, antibiotics can make infections worse." She freaked. Then his nurse told her about colloidal silver and she went right out and found a bottle and started taking it. Within a week the infection was gone and it has never returned in the 6 years since.

As a funny side note, a month or so later she went to the emergency room with pain and she though the infection was back. So after getting a urine specimen from her the nurse came back several minutes later and told her (after shooing out her fiance, now husband) that she didn't have a UTI, but that the test was positive. She stared at the nurse blankly and asked, "What test?" The nurse said, "The pregnancy test. You're pregnant." Boy, was that a bolt from the blue because she was told years ago as a teenager that she would never be able to have children. So she is firmly convinced that the colloidal silver cleared up whatever the problem was that kept her from conceiving. She now has 2 boys ages 5 and 3.

So I really tout the wonders of colloidal silver water. [/COLOR]
Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #1320
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]So, Fawn, when are you going to have the instructions for the Colloidal Silver Water maker? I want to make some.

Okay, now I'm going SHOPPING!!! Gonna get my ACV and CO. YAY!!![/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 12-31-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Closed Thread