Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #1261
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
3 - 9 months that's a bit of a stretch isn't it! So, how long exactly - that's just a wild guess.

On this diet it says you can have coffee and no tea and on other diets you can have tea but not coffee. They all contradict each other...

I don't mean to sound harsh. I'm just trying to make you and myself realise that diets like this can lead to malutrition. They're likely to make you ill due to lack of essential vitamins. I would see a practioner before undergoing any diet. The truth is I feel much better and I'm still having wheat, some sugar in chocolate and fruit. But I've cut out fruit jucies, fruit in a can (still eating fresj fruit once a day) with soya cream. I've cut out biscuits and heavily sugared cereals. I eat Shredded wheat or rice krispies - small amount. I've also cut out all tinned foods with too much sugar.

And I feel like I have more energy. This is probably due to eating healthier and losing large amounts of sugar and all yeast products. Whether this is due to candida and elimination is another matter. I'm a skeptic and will remain this way until I've seen a doctor and a dietian in the new year
Excemasucks is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #1262
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,294
Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
3 - 9 months that's a bit of a stretch isn't it! So, how long exactly - that's just a wild guess.

On this diet it says you can have coffee and no tea and on other diets you can have tea but not coffee. They all contradict each other...

I don't mean to sound harsh. I'm just trying to make you and myself realise that diets like this can lead to malutrition. They're likely to make you ill due to lack of essential vitamins. I would see a practioner before undergoing any diet. The truth is I feel much better and I'm still having wheat, some sugar in chocolate and fruit. But I've cut out fruit jucies, fruit in a can (still eating fresj fruit once a day) with soya cream. I've cut out biscuits and heavily sugared cereals. I eat Shredded wheat or rice krispies - small amount. I've also cut out all tinned foods with too much sugar.

And I feel like I have more energy. This is probably due to eating healthier and losing large amounts of sugar and all yeast products. Whether this is due to candida and elimination is another matter. I'm a skeptic and will remain this way until I've seen a doctor and a dietian in the new year
You must find out what works for your body. I guess you figured it out Great!

I think everyone here has been more than kind trying to help you. YOu do realize that you have come to a LOW CARB message board? That means that we have all done our research (many, many, many hours) and have come to the well informed conclusion that this Way of Eating is best for our bodies. WE have been doing this for many years and are very healthy, have the best blood work numbers etc. Lecturing us on the so called dangers of Low Carb is a waste of your breath.

I will repeat what I have said before about why these sites all say different things.

I think the reason there are so many variables in the different sites allowances is because there are so many variables between people. Fighting candida is not about just following someone else exclusively, but taking the time to learn what is best for our bodies. Really listen to your body and make decisions based on your tolerances/intolerances. There are basic guidelines that all of those sites agree on, so those guidelines are just our starting place then we must figure out what works for our specific situation.


With that said we know that they all agree we should eliminate: grains, nuts, sugar, coffee, tea, starches, fungus, molds, vinegars (except ACV with the mother), fruits (to some degree or another). This is our starting point. We must then begin to see what will work for our individual circumstance. I think the best course of action is to think of battling this in stages.

Yeast likes: ANY bread, pasta, rice, cereal, fruit, sugars, starches, potatoes (these all have carbs that feed the yeast) they also love mushrooms, dairy products, vinegars (except for Braggs with the mother in it) products that contain vinegars like mustard and mayo. Nuts also have mold that feeds the yeast and compromise the immune system.

You may choose not to believe any of this info and that is ok, but don't continue to come here and tell us that we are risking mal nourishment when we eat more fresh veggies than most Americans following the food pyramid. My numbers are great, and my doctor told me to keep doing what I am doing and so have many of the other posters here.


Best wishes on your journey
__________________
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #1263
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 695
Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
I don't mean to sound harsh. I'm just trying to make you and myself realise that diets like this can lead to malutrition. They're likely to make you ill due to lack of essential vitamins.
Such as the essential vitamins you are getting from wheat, Rice Krispies, and chocolate?

I agree with LadyN, though I would have said it in a less polite way. You have posted a number of incorrect statements such as the above, and many knowledgeable people have given you kind and thoughtful advice. If you don't want to learn from the people here, that's up to you, of course, but why continue to come here and make these unfounded statements?
MarcellaSF is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #1264
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 18,018
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
RE the movies - I know it was just a general comment. Meaning lots of things eg selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs.

I feel amazing tonight! I've hardly had any sugar today and no yeast. As i feel now it feels impossible to go back to feeling like crap again but I know i will as my problem has been going on for about six years now.

Today I had my supplements inc garlic - corn flakes and soya milk, chicken sandwich made with cracker bread, salad and grapefruit, oats - porridge for supper. Low sugar in everything. If only I can keep it up...
Corn flakes convert to sugar in your body and raise your insulin or blood sugar levels which can contribute to systemic yeast infections. A good book for you to read to understand lowcarb is "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
lisabinil is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #1265
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I lurk on this thread because I have some yeast concerns. Not everything that everyone tries is good for me and my body. If I'm feeling cruddy or need some advice, I stop here to find out if anyone has experienced my symptoms before and treated them naturally.

If you're looking for a scientific, black and white, prescribed solution to your health issues, you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.

Personal, natural health MAINTENANCE is a personal choice that involves a good deal of speculation, experimentation, and time. This thread should give you ideas of how to experiment with your own health, to your level of comfort. Keep in mind that most successful experiments follow similar rules (even the ones doctors do when they swab your tongue or prescribe a drug).

1. Don't change too many things at once or you won't know what's working/not working.
2. Stay consistent with your changes to maintain some sort of reliability in your results.
3. Honestly and objectively record your observations. If it doesn't work-write it down!
4. Continue the experiment for a sustained period of time before analyzing your data. (7-10 days, minimum)
5. Make an educated decision about whether to continue the treatment.

There's no magic pill, no guaranteed result, and no prescription for everybody. That's why we can't answer you. What works for me may not work for you, and even if I'm sure it would, I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

Good luck!
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #1266
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,294
Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
excellent advice!

Thanks Hummingbird11! This is excellent advise!!!
LadyN is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #1267
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 18,018
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
excellent advice!
ITA and realize everything you put in your mouth including food provokes a chemical response just like prescriptions meds or vits/supps. The ancient Chinese treated food like medicine and we could learn something from this.
lisabinil is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #1268
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carson City, Nevada
Posts: 422
Gallery: DesertRose
We're all different and have worked for YEARS to refine a diet designed just for our body. Me from the 1970s. I can have one cup of coffee a day, no more, no iced tea or diet coke, and limit chocolat. Others can have much more with no ill effects. I can tolerate 1-2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil early in the day, no more. Would love to cook with it, but cannot use it for lunch or dinner or I am hyper. That is just me. Others have worked up to 4 to 6 tablespoons of VCO to help with their yeast. That's just a sampling of how we are all different. However, none of us are malnourished. I take lots of vitamins, eat well on low carb, venture into carbs occasionally without ending up in a downward spiral, drink wine daily, and I'm 66 with only one prescription med, and that is natural thyroid. That's why I'm here, to read and learn more. And support those just starting out if I can. And to encourage others who are starting again. And to marvel at and applaud other's successes along the way. That's what this board is all about. The best nourishment I've ever had, physical and emotional. Please stay with us and keep reading more on the other boards too. Let us know how it is going along the way. But don't tell us we don't know after all this time what we are doing. Glad you are feeling better and having more energy. That's where it starts. Good luck on your journey, like ours!!
__________________
Desert Rose
"I don't age, I blossom!"
DesertRose is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #1269
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Very well-said! ALL of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
We're all different and have worked for YEARS to refine a diet designed just for our body. Me from the 1970s. I can have one cup of coffee a day, no more, no iced tea or diet coke, and limit chocolat. Others can have much more with no ill effects. I can tolerate 1-2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil early in the day, no more. Would love to cook with it, but cannot use it for lunch or dinner or I am hyper. That is just me. Others have worked up to 4 to 6 tablespoons of VCO to help with their yeast. That's just a sampling of how we are all different. However, none of us are malnourished. I take lots of vitamins, eat well on low carb, venture into carbs occasionally without ending up in a downward spiral, drink wine daily, and I'm 66 with only one prescription med, and that is natural thyroid. That's why I'm here, to read and learn more. And support those just starting out if I can. And to encourage others who are starting again. And to marvel at and applaud other's successes along the way. That's what this board is all about. The best nourishment I've ever had, physical and emotional. Please stay with us and keep reading more on the other boards too. Let us know how it is going along the way. But don't tell us we don't know after all this time what we are doing. Glad you are feeling better and having more energy. That's where it starts. Good luck on your journey, like ours!!
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #1270
Senior LCF Member
 
ceccarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 101
Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
[COLOR="Purple"]I listen to NPR's Morning Edition every morning and this morning they had a story about an anti-biotic, Cephalosporin that was going to be limited in animals... but then the FDA changed their mind... Check out the following (the link is imbeded):
"The Food and Drug Administration had planned to ban the use of a popular antibiotic from use in animal feed. At the last minute, the agency pulled back. Cephalosporin is one of the most important drugs for treating infectious diseases in humans."
Just when the FDA was going to do something smart they go back to stupid. [/COLOR]
__________________
[COLOR="Purple"]Cecile[/COLOR]


http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png
ceccarp is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #1271
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Everything I've told you comes from qualified doctors of which you are not. Wheat is good for your heart and general health. All of the foods you mention are good for you in small amounts and eliminating them completley is bad for you. These foods contain vitamins and minerals too.

You're becoming defensive because you can't offer any proof that candida exists or that there's such a thing as system candida, I was asking nicely where the proof is? But as we know there isn't any so everything is a wild guess. the reason these sites tell you different things is because they don't know - they are guessing. How does eliminating tea and coffee help for example? Do you realise that probiotics live on sugar? So probiotics are putting some sugar in your body. How does the yeast know not to feed on these? it doesn't...

The truth is anyone would feel better if they stopped eating sugar and yeast products. Doesn't mean you have a candida problem. Which is all I'm trying to tell you. I don't know whether I have one either and until I've seen a nurse next week. My allergy results came back normal so I'm not allergic to wheat, eggs, milk or yeast.

I'm saying look at both sides of the coin and don't believe everything you read on the internet. And once again how many people have died because of systemic canida and wheres the proof?

I need to know so that I can determine how serious it may be. But no figures exist to back up what you're all saying...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #1272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I am afraid that not all doctors are qualified because they went to medical school. I went 20+ years with misdiagnoses or lack of a diagnosis for Lyme Disease because either no one tested me with a simple blood test or they are under the assumption that there is no such thing as Lyme Disease in Pa.......which is a buncha BS.

By going out and finding complimentary doctors, I got the DX immediately, started taking antibiotics to treat the lyme bacteria, got off foods that caused candidia and I am happily to report that I am no longer bed or house bound like I was from 2004-2007.

I am living proof and I don't need an MD with limited knowledge telling me it does not work or does not exist.
Linny is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #1273
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 695
Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
I think you are mistaking "bored" for "defensive".

If you are not a troll, you are giving a very good impression of one.
MarcellaSF is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #1274
Senior LCF Member
 
ceccarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 101
Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
[COLOR="Purple"]I'm working my way through all the posts on this thread and was just reading posts from September from Debrat3 and Margot_65 [formerly know as Prozak] about cleaning. Margot was speculating on how as we clean the yeast/junk out of our systems that some seem to want to clean the junk out of our homes and was seeing a correlation between the two. If that's true, then I must be really full of yeast (I am) because my ex-hubby considers me the queen of junk. And we've just moved for the 7th time in just 4 years so I've really had to go through and clean out a lot of the junk, though the in this last move it wasn't all mine. But I do still have a bunch of stuff in storage at a friend's back in NY State. I moved to Kansas in Aug 2007.

A little explanation: My now ex-hubby and I moved in with my best friend and her now ex-hubby. Then life decided to crap on her ex and we lost the double-wide mobile home he was buying in a foreclosure. But that's okay. In the meantime, she and I ended up switching husbands and this last move was into 2 separate apartments in the same complex; she & my ex in one, me and her ex in the other.

Unfortunately for me, I've been the one delegated in cleaning out her junk. And now I am beginning to not like going to her place because she and my ex are both "Oscar Madisons"; mess magnets. And while I'm not a clean freak, I do have problems with people who don't pick-up after themselves and would rather walk over a pile of whatever rather than pick it up and deal with it.

So, if the amount of junk and crap one has in one's home is any indication, I can't help but think that my girlfriend is dealing with a massive yeast problem. She is clinically depressed, has food allergies, has been on anti-biotics too many times throughout her life to count, is considered by the doctors to be morbidly obese, has breathing problems and is suppose to use a CPAP, has been having problems with her thyroid and is currently taking over 300 mg of Levoxyl(R), and last year developed arthritis-like joint pain. I know deep inside that yeast is her main problem, but I also know that my just nagging her about it won't have any effect. Especially since before I moved in, when she & I were talking online and on the phone, I told her about Candida and Yeast. So she went right out and got an Anti-Candida supplement put out by NOW and experienced enough die-off to make her really feel sick. So that put her off doing anything else. She's had enough weird reactions to medications over the years to make her very wary of anything that causes a reaction that makes her sick.

So I guess I'm gonna have to lead by example. So that means getting myself, as well as my bf [her ex] who just failed the saliva test, as healthy as possible. As soon as payday arrives I will be stocking up on ACV and CO. So I guess I'll keep you all posted.[/COLOR]
ceccarp is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #1275
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 18,018
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Everything I've told you comes from qualified doctors of which you are not. Wheat is good for your heart and general health. All of the foods you mention are good for you in small amounts and eliminating them completley is bad for you. These foods contain vitamins and minerals too.

You're becoming defensive because you can't offer any proof that candida exists or that there's such a thing as system candida, I was asking nicely where the proof is? But as we know there isn't any so everything is a wild guess. the reason these sites tell you different things is because they don't know - they are guessing. How does eliminating tea and coffee help for example? Do you realise that probiotics live on sugar? So probiotics are putting some sugar in your body. How does the yeast know not to feed on these? it doesn't...

The truth is anyone would feel better if they stopped eating sugar and yeast products. Doesn't mean you have a candida problem. Which is all I'm trying to tell you. I don't know whether I have one either and until I've seen a nurse next week. My allergy results came back normal so I'm not allergic to wheat, eggs, milk or yeast.

I'm saying look at both sides of the coin and don't believe everything you read on the internet. And once again how many people have died because of systemic canida and wheres the proof?

I need to know so that I can determine how serious it may be. But no figures exist to back up what you're all saying...
Yes probiotics feed on sugar like the yeast but what you are doing by elminating sugar, wheat etc is to try to bring a balance back to the gut and feed the probiotics not the candida. The American Food Pyramid is faulty-again please check out "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
lisabinil is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #1276
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Everything I've told you comes from qualified doctors of which you are not. Wheat is good for your heart and general health. All of the foods you mention are good for you in small amounts and eliminating them completley is bad for you. These foods contain vitamins and minerals too.

You're becoming defensive because you can't offer any proof that candida exists or that there's such a thing as system candida, I was asking nicely where the proof is? But as we know there isn't any so everything is a wild guess. the reason these sites tell you different things is because they don't know - they are guessing. How does eliminating tea and coffee help for example? Do you realise that probiotics live on sugar? So probiotics are putting some sugar in your body. How does the yeast know not to feed on these? it doesn't...

The truth is anyone would feel better if they stopped eating sugar and yeast products. Doesn't mean you have a candida problem. Which is all I'm trying to tell you. I don't know whether I have one either and until I've seen a nurse next week. My allergy results came back normal so I'm not allergic to wheat, eggs, milk or yeast.

I'm saying look at both sides of the coin and don't believe everything you read on the internet. And once again how many people have died because of systemic canida and wheres the proof?

I need to know so that I can determine how serious it may be. But no figures exist to back up what you're all saying...
Wheat is good for your heart and General health? Where did you get that? And at the same time you say that anyone who eliminates wheat and yeast will feel better. Well, which is it? Your not allergic to it, but feel better without it, but it's good for you? Your doctor says one thing and your own body says another.

malnourished? How? Wheat is a great food to actually malnourish people. I finally am getting the nourishment that my body has always needed, but never got when I ate Wheat and sugar. WHY? Well, you would have to do your own research (I'm not going to do it for you) but both are highly processed and nothing close to what they were naturally. The wheat and the grains aren't prepared like they used to be years ago (to save money in the processing and make it cheaper) and because of that, we can't get the Nutrition out of it.

If you REALLY want to do some research, why not check out The Weston A Price foundation.

Weston A. Price Foundation

Another person has mentioned the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. There is a ton of research in that book. If you want research and studies, read that book.

As most of us have found out, you can make research or a study say what ever you want it to say, by not giving ALL the information in the studies. Gary Taubes takes "Studies", that have been "Used" but gives you ALL the infromation and lets you form your own opinion. It's SHOCKING what they DON'T TELL US!

The reasons the diets vary (Candida Diet) is because people vary with their symptoms and diet related diseases. Tea and Coffee? Nuts for that matter...Contain Mold. There are a lot of people who have Candida that are really sensitive to mold, thus the reason the diets say to get rid of them. Does it effect everyone who has Candida? NO. It's an ELIMINATION diet. It helps you figure out which foods really effect you so that you can make the changes YOU need.

You want your Doctor and us, to tell you eat this, do that, and you will be be cured/well. Sorry, it doesn't work that way at all. YOU have to figure it out for yourself. Your doctor has no proof (one way or the other) either.

THUS, the reason for this entire thread. So we each can share what we have learned and figure out what works for our OWN bodies.

I drink coffee, I have found it doesn't bother me at all. There are other people that Coffee does effect them and their Candida.

Do your Research. It really sounds like you haven't done research on your own, you are just going by what different people say and trying to pick one that sounds better. Research and test your own body out.

What you are Hearing on this thread is frustration. How in the heck do we get you up to speed with the different stuff that we have researched? The first thing is that you have no clue as to what a low carb diet is. This is a low carb diet site. The majority of us have already done extensive research on that. How do you have a conversation with someone who doesn't understand the concept and how it works? Can you see how frustrating that can be? I just don't have the time, energy, or patience, to walk you through all that. That's not being sarcastic, it's just being honest.

Hey, I was you YEARS ago. I was one who bashed Low carb. It couldn't possibly be Healthy!!!! You need a little of everything to be healthy!!!! On my own Journey of finding out the truth, and researching, I found out I was wrong, from my own body. I have embraced low carb and have the best health I have ever known.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #1277
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,050
Gallery: fawn
As a certified Nutrition Educator, I can assure you excema that not all ailments of the human frame are considered in the medical communtiy. MD's have an estimated 3hours of nutrition education. These ladies have provided you some some good posts and have worked diligently to help appreciative folks through what could have been some very difficult times with many un-answered quetions. Your cynical attitude only brings a thread such as this one down.

I have no comment on your cynicism other than this......

Your processed food consumption is detromental to the human frame. If you're going to consume grains, any decent doc will tell you that they are superior for health in their whole not refined form.

While you think wheat might be a healthful food to your body, it is poison to someone like Tooter. As she stated, it is cause for malnourishment.

be well, open yourself up and good health might just be around the corner for you. Continue to practice this cynical attitude toward complimentary medicine, and you may never get well. I hope you embrace it.
fawn is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #1278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
A good book for you to read to understand lowcarb is "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
Cool ~ I just borrowed this today from our public library.....and I had thought I read most of them. Thanks for the tip on the book
Linny is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #1279
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Cool ~ I just borrowed this today from our public library.....and I had thought I read most of them. Thanks for the tip on the book
Be prepared to get MAD!! lol As I was reading that book, I got madder by the minute.

I need to read my copy again.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #1280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
Barry Grove's new book Trick & Treat is making me even than GCBC.

I didn't think I could get any more

for Barry Groves for taking a stand and publishing the truth we all need to hear.

If you liked GCBC, you will LOVE T&T.. and it is an easier read.

Barry and Gary
Margot 65 is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #1281
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
Barry Grove's new book Trick & Treat is making me even than GCBC.

I didn't think I could get any more

for Barry Groves for taking a stand and publishing the truth we all need to hear.

If you liked GCBC, you will LOVE T&T.. and it is an easier read.

Barry and Gary

I have got to order this book!
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #1282
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,294
Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot 65 View Post
Barry Grove's new book Trick & Treat is making me even than GCBC.

I didn't think I could get any more

for Barry Groves for taking a stand and publishing the truth we all need to hear.

If you liked GCBC, you will LOVE T&T.. and it is an easier read.

Barry and Gary
I have to get this book too!
LadyN is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #1283
Senior LCF Member
 
ceccarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 101
Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Everything I've told you comes from qualified doctors of which you are not. Wheat is good for your heart and general health. All of the foods you mention are good for you in small amounts and eliminating them completley is bad for you. These foods contain vitamins and minerals too.
[COLOR="Purple"]Okay, I'm gonna stick my nose in here and risk getting it cut off.

My experience with doctors has been iffy at best. I've run the gamut from ones that told me that Candida didn't exist to my last one who was willing to work with me and figure out what was really wrong with me other than what the tests said. Unfortunately I had to move out of that state and I am in the process of starting with a new one. I'm crossing my fingers she'll be as good as the last one.

And while wheat is good for the heart there is scientific evidence that it's not good for some other parts of the body. People with Celiac's disease cannot eat wheat without having a problem. As far as the other foods that need to eliminated, that, too, has a medical basis. I first discovered a candida food list in the book "The Yeast Syndrome" by John P. Trowbridge, MD.

And eliminating these food is not compleatly bad because not everyone likes, let alone eats the same foods. In my family my brother and mother both love sardines and liver (not together ) and I absolutely hate them. There is enough variety of foods in the world that the total elimination of them is not detrimental to one's health.[/COLOR]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
You're becoming defensive because you can't offer any proof that candida exists or that there's such a thing as system candida, I was asking nicely where the proof is? But as we know there isn't any so everything is a wild guess. the reason these sites tell you different things is because they don't know - they are guessing. How does eliminating tea and coffee help for example? Do you realise that probiotics live on sugar? So probiotics are putting some sugar in your body. How does the yeast know not to feed on these? it doesn't...
[COLOR="Purple"]While it's not my place to tell you what to do, I must point out that telling someone they are becoming "defensive" is not a good idea. Because of this medium it's very difficult to write a nuance of a facial expression. If you were saying it with a wink in your eye, that part didn't come across. But if you meant it exactly as it looks, then people will get defensive because of the perception that they've just been attacked, even if that was not you intent.

As far as proof that of the existence of Candida, there a plenty of medical articles out there. If you Google Candida Albicans from Medical Authorities you'll find many articles, including one from the CDC entitled Candida albicans Endocarditis Associated with a Contaminated Aortic Valve Allograft -- California, 1996. The article states "Fungal endocarditis secondary to extrinsic valve contamination is a rare but potentially fatal complication of allograft valve replacement; its incidence following surgery for heart valve replacement with allografts is approximately 0.3% (1,2). Treatment often is unsuccessful, and death is a frequent outcome (3). This report describes the investigation of a case of Candida albicans endocarditis associated with a contaminated aortic valve allograft. The findings indicated that antimicrobial processing of the initial aortic valve allograft did not eliminate C. albicans from the tissue."

My Gods, reading that is scary. The Candid was not eliminated from the tissue?? [/COLOR]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
The truth is anyone would feel better if they stopped eating sugar and yeast products. Doesn't mean you have a candida problem. Which is all I'm trying to tell you. I don't know whether I have one either and until I've seen a nurse next week. My allergy results came back normal so I'm not allergic to wheat, eggs, milk or yeast.
[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, it's true that eliminating sugar and yeast products doesn't necessarily mean a candida problem. But seeing a nurse will not decide if you do or not. While nurses are are very knowledgeable, they are often not any more educated about Candida than doctors. So I'm guessing you may be told that you don't have Candida. But I may be wrong. As to your allergy test results, many of us are not allergic to those foods, but our bodies can react to them in negative ways. The true test of a food problem is doing the Elimination Diet and gradually adding back foods into your eating plan, all the while paying attention to what your body is doing. I'm not allergic to milk, however if I drink more than a glass a week I get earaches. so it's not something I drink often.[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
I'm saying look at both sides of the coin and don't believe everything you read on the internet. And once again how many people have died because of systemic canida and wheres the proof?
[COLOR="Purple"]Those of us here have, for the most part, been looking at both sides of the coin. And I will so bold to say that we don't all believe everything on the internet. There are many books, written by medical doctors, on Candida. Their information is based on case studies of their own patients. Most of these books were written before the popularity of the internet.

And there have been people who have died from Candida, though it is not something a pathologist will look for as a cause so it will not be listed on the death certificate. Candida can kill because it effects all the body's systems. This is something you will discover as you do your own research on Candida. And I wish you good luck on that journey.[/COLOR]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
I need to know so that I can determine how serious it may be. But no figures exist to back up what you're all saying...
[COLOR="Purple"]Sadly, if the numbers existed we wouldn't have the need for message boards like this. But they don't, at least not to the extent that the medical community would agree is of any validity. It's up to us to get the research started. It's like a lot of other scientific breakthroughs. If it weren't for the scientific outsiders pushing against the conventional wisdom we wouldn't have the technology and the medical breakthroughs we've had over the years. So, that's what we need to do, keep pushing and letting it be known that this problem truly does exist and that unchecked it IS life threatening. I truly hope you come to know that to be true.[/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 12-29-2008 at 11:30 AM..
ceccarp is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #1284
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Wheat is good for your heart and General health? Where did you get that? And at the same time you say that anyone who eliminates wheat and yeast will feel better. Well, which is it? Your not allergic to it, but feel better without it, but it's good for you? Your doctor says one thing and your own body says another.

malnourished? How? Wheat is a great food to actually malnourish people. I finally am getting the nourishment that my body has always needed, but never got when I ate Wheat and sugar. WHY? Well, you would have to do your own research (I'm not going to do it for you) but both are highly processed and nothing close to what they were naturally. The wheat and the grains aren't prepared like they used to be years ago (to save money in the processing and make it cheaper) and because of that, we can't get the Nutrition out of it.

If you REALLY want to do some research, why not check out The Weston A Price foundation.

Weston A. Price Foundation

Another person has mentioned the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. There is a ton of research in that book. If you want research and studies, read that book.

As most of us have found out, you can make research or a study say what ever you want it to say, by not giving ALL the information in the studies. Gary Taubes takes "Studies", that have been "Used" but gives you ALL the infromation and lets you form your own opinion. It's SHOCKING what they DON'T TELL US!

The reasons the diets vary (Candida Diet) is because people vary with their symptoms and diet related diseases. Tea and Coffee? Nuts for that matter...Contain Mold. There are a lot of people who have Candida that are really sensitive to mold, thus the reason the diets say to get rid of them. Does it effect everyone who has Candida? NO. It's an ELIMINATION diet. It helps you figure out which foods really effect you so that you can make the changes YOU need.

You want your Doctor and us, to tell you eat this, do that, and you will be be cured/well. Sorry, it doesn't work that way at all. YOU have to figure it out for yourself. Your doctor has no proof (one way or the other) either.

THUS, the reason for this entire thread. So we each can share what we have learned and figure out what works for our OWN bodies.

I drink coffee, I have found it doesn't bother me at all. There are other people that Coffee does effect them and their Candida.

Do your Research. It really sounds like you haven't done research on your own, you are just going by what different people say and trying to pick one that sounds better. Research and test your own body out.

What you are Hearing on this thread is frustration. How in the heck do we get you up to speed with the different stuff that we have researched? The first thing is that you have no clue as to what a low carb diet is. This is a low carb diet site. The majority of us have already done extensive research on that. How do you have a conversation with someone who doesn't understand the concept and how it works? Can you see how frustrating that can be? I just don't have the time, energy, or patience, to walk you through all that. That's not being sarcastic, it's just being honest.

Hey, I was you YEARS ago. I was one who bashed Low carb. It couldn't possibly be Healthy!!!! You need a little of everything to be healthy!!!! On my own Journey of finding out the truth, and researching, I found out I was wrong, from my own body. I have embraced low carb and have the best health I have ever known.

No your misquoting me. I said avoiding sugar and yeast products will be better for your health. I've never stopped eating wheat. On most cereals including 100% shredded wheat it says heart healthy. Good for your heart - it's been proven.

Also this is a candida yeast thread which is different then low carb even if it's on a low carb site. Anyway I'm gonna leave you all to your forum but in future maybe you should tell new people to go and see a professional or a doctor because what your doing is trial and error. When you have no proof if you actually have a candida problem or not. I'm not just talking to you but in general. Sorry, I like a little more fact - eg this is the problem and here's what will definitely sort it out. But because doctors son't regonize the problem I guess we won't get that anytime soon...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #1285
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Also joining in with a discussion (even if you don't like what's being said) isn't being a troll.
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #1286
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Yes probiotics feed on sugar like the yeast but what you are doing by elminating sugar, wheat etc is to try to bring a balance back to the gut and feed the probiotics not the candida. The American Food Pyramid is faulty-again please check out "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
Sorry but that's just rubish. How does the candida know that the sugar is for the probiotics? It doesn't...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #1287
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
VERY well-stated.
You, Tooter and Fawn all wrote excellent posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccarp View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]Okay, I'm gonna stick my nose in here and risk getting it cut off.

My experience with doctors has been iffy at best. I've run the gamut from ones that told me that Candida didn't exist to my last one who was willing to work with me and figure out what was really wrong with me other than what the tests said. Unfortunately I had to move out of that state and I am in the process of starting with a new one. I'm crossing my fingers she'll be as good as the last one.

And while wheat is good for the heart there is scientific evidence that it's not good for some other parts of the body. People with Celiac's disease cannot eat wheat without having a problem. As far as the other foods that need to eliminated, that, too, has a medical basis. I first discovered a candida food list in the book "The Yeast Syndrome" by John P. Trowbridge, MD.

And eliminating these food is not compleatly bad because not everyone likes, let alone eats the same foods. In my family my brother and mother both love sardines and liver (not together ) and I absolutely hate them. There is enough variety of foods in the world that the total elimination of them is not detrimental to one's health.[/COLOR]




[COLOR="Purple"]While it's not my place to tell you what to do, I must point out that telling someone they are becoming "defensive" is not a good idea. Because of this medium it's very difficult to write a nuance of a facial expression. If you were saying it with a wink in your eye, that part didn't come across. But if you meant it exactly as it looks, then people will get defensive because of the perception that they've just been attacked, even if that was not you intent.

As far as proof that of the existence of Candida, there a plenty of medical articles out there. If you Google Candida Albicans from Medical Authorities you'll find many articles, including one from the CDC entitled Candida albicans Endocarditis Associated with a Contaminated Aortic Valve Allograft -- California, 1996. The article states "Fungal endocarditis secondary to extrinsic valve contamination is a rare but potentially fatal complication of allograft valve replacement; its incidence following surgery for heart valve replacement with allografts is approximately 0.3% (1,2). Treatment often is unsuccessful, and death is a frequent outcome (3). This report describes the investigation of a case of Candida albicans endocarditis associated with a contaminated aortic valve allograft. The findings indicated that antimicrobial processing of the initial aortic valve allograft did not eliminate C. albicans from the tissue."

My Gods, reading that is scary. The Candid was not eliminated from the tissue?? [/COLOR]




[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, it's true that eliminating sugar and yeast products doesn't necessarily mean a candida problem. But seeing a nurse will not decide if you do or not. While nurses are are very knowledgeable, they are often not any more educated about Candida than doctors. So I'm guessing you may be told that you don't have Candida. But I may be wrong. As to your allergy test results, many of us are not allergic to those foods, but our bodies can react to them in negative ways. The true test of a food problem is doing the Elimination Diet and gradually adding back foods into your eating plan, all the while paying attention to what your body is doing. I'm not allergic to milk, however if I drink more than a glass a week I get earaches. so it's not something I drink often.[/COLOR]



[COLOR="Purple"]Those of us here have, for the most part, been looking at both sides of the coin. And I will so bold to say that we don't all believe everything on the internet. There are many books, written by medical doctors, on Candida. Their information is based on case studies of their own patients. Most of these books were written before the popularity of the internet.

And there have been people who have died from Candida, though it is not something a pathologist will look for as a cause so it will not be listed on the death certificate. Candida can kill because it effects all the body's systems. This is something you will discover as you do your own research on Candida. And I wish you good luck on that journey.[/COLOR]




[COLOR="Purple"]Sadly, if the numbers existed we wouldn't have the need for message boards like this. But they don't, at least not to the extent that the medical community would agree is of any validity. It's up to us to get the research started. It's like a lot of other scientific breakthroughs. If it weren't for the scientific outsiders pushing against the conventional wisdom we wouldn't have the technology and the medical breakthroughs we've had over the years. So, that's what we need to do, keep pushing and letting it be known that this problem truly does exist and that unchecked it IS life threatening. I truly hope you come to know that to be true.[/COLOR]
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #1288
Way too much time on my hands!
 
lisabinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 18,018
Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Sorry but that's just rubish. How does the candida know that the sugar is for the probiotics? It doesn't...
The higher balance of the probiotics will consume more of the sugars. There is good and bad bacteria in the gut-you need more of the healthy like the probiotics contain and less of the candida. You need to research carbohydrates to get a better understanding of how the body utilizes them-there are simple and complex carbs and both are turned into sugar by the body. The simple at a more rapid rate and the complex at a slower rate-this is the concept of the GI Index.
lisabinil is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1289
HB = Healthy & Balanced
 
hummingbird11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texan w/ Hawaiian Soul loving life in N Calif! :)
Posts: 7,857
Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Um, do you know anything about how wine or alcohol is made?

or how Kombucha is made?

or how a PetScan is done?

My point is, ALL kinds of things know how to "find sugar".

Meanwhile, you are arguing with some of the BEST MINDS at LCF (Lisa, Fawn, Tooter, Margot) ~ so trust me, you ain't gonna win!

How old are you? Do you know how to Google? I suggest that you stop this incessant arguing and go do some reading & research and please let this thread be what it is meant to be: INFORMATIVE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Sorry but that's just rubish. How does the candida know that the sugar is for the probiotics? It doesn't...
hummingbird11 is offline  
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #1290
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
No your misquoting me. I said avoiding sugar and yeast products will be better for your health. I've never stopped eating wheat. On most cereals including 100% shredded wheat it says heart healthy. Good for your heart - it's been proven.

Also this is a candida yeast thread which is different then low carb even if it's on a low carb site. Anyway I'm gonna leave you all to your forum but in future maybe you should tell new people to go and see a professional or a doctor because what your doing is trial and error. When you have no proof if you actually have a candida problem or not. I'm not just talking to you but in general. Sorry, I like a little more fact - eg this is the problem and here's what will definitely sort it out. But because doctors son't regonize the problem I guess we won't get that anytime soon...
Well, if it says it on the box, it must be true!

Excemasucks, I know you are frustrated, I can hear it in your posts. Most of us on these threads have been there.

I had your attitude once. I went to the doctor and did what he said and was poorer and even more unhealthy.

It's good that you don't take anyone's "word". I totally respect that, and I am the same way. The difference is...I take it a step farther. I don't just dismiss things, I research and study them before I make up my mind.

I don't just listen to a Doctor who hasn't been informed on this since 10 minutes of it in medical school and who is busy treating patients with hundreds of other diseases he can't keep up on. I take matters into my own hands. Knowledge is power. It's the power to truly make informed choices.

I Think you forget (Or you didn't read this entire thread) The majority of us have been to the Doctor and are very much more "Worse for the wear" of it.

We have already done what you are doing. There were no answers, there was no help. THere was no proof and there was no cure.

Now what? Wait until you get "There". You'll get sick and tired of being "sick and Tired".

That's where we are, here. Helping each other out because the medical community certainly didn't help us.

I wish you the best and hope you find your answers.

Unfortunately, I only see you getting more frustrated in the future, when your Doctor (or even Doctors) can't do anything for you.

I hope I am wrong, and you are one of the lucky few.
Tooter is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.