Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #1231
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Excemasucks
Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have concerns about probiotics though. As I've written before they can make some people worse and kill off the good and bad bacteria. Or they might kill off the good? How do you know?

I had oats with water for breakfast and I have bacon in mind for dinner

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #1232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: willBfit
Just checking in. Still here and still learning.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #1233
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
excemasucks - probiotics do not kill bacteria. it is a combination of good yeasts that is supplemented once bad yeast or candida is killed by the antifungals. if you don't use a probiotic you set yourself up for candida and other organisms to overgrow even more than before you used the antifungals. probiotics are essential to restoring the balance of organisms. ANTIbiotics kill normal flora and everything good or bad.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #1234
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have concerns about probiotics though. As I've written before they can make some people worse and kill off the good and bad bacteria. Or they might kill off the good? How do you know?

I had oats with water for breakfast and I have bacon in mind for dinner
Probiotics are GOOD for you! Having said that, there is side effects for some people who take them. Again, this is like the "Die off" thing. Remember, there is a battle going on in your gut, between Candida and the healthy bacteria....It only makes sense that there can be a reaction of not feeling good.

That is why it is SOOOoooooooooooooooooo Important to take this slow and not try to do everything all at once. The reaction/Die off can be too great from doing too many things at one time.

The first step is your diet. You need to change it to low carb.

Once you have adjusted to that, you add in antifungals, such as coconut oil and other antifungals. After that, you add in probiotics.

So, the reason that you didn't feel good with the probiotics, is that your gut was having a battle in it. Makes sense? That's why it is helpful to have the Probiotics as one of the last stages to add it in. By that time, you have changed your diet and have gotten the colony (yeast/Candida) down in your gut. When you add the probiotics in, the "Battle" won't be so great, because you have evened the score for the battle already, by diet and antifungals.

A lot of people try to get this "over with" and do everything all at once!! *raising my hand* Been there, done that. I thought I was going to die. It actually doesn't make you better and makes you so sick that you are sure to stop doing all the anti Candida things and just give up.

You do this SLOW, one step at a time and you have to a patience.

Last edited by Tooter; 12-21-2008 at 08:28 AM..
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiangel View Post
excemasucks - probiotics do not kill bacteria. it is a combination of good yeasts that is supplemented once bad yeast or candida is killed by the antifungals. if you don't use a probiotic you set yourself up for candida and other organisms to overgrow even more than before you used the antifungals. probiotics are essential to restoring the balance of organisms. ANTIbiotics kill normal flora and everything good or bad.
Yep!! I tried to take care of the candida by just doing low carb. Oh, I felt fantastic. No symptoms at all. Until.... I ate something a little "Off"! That's all they needed to "Jump Start" things again. The symptoms would come right back. My Gut was still at an "Imbalance", I just wasn't feeding them any extra food.

Diet
Antifungals
Probiotics

We didn't get this "over night" and we can't get this back into a balance, over night.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by willBfit View Post
Just checking in. Still here and still learning.
We all are!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1237
Junior LCF Member

I had my swob results back which showed skin infection (due to staph) which is on everybodys skin. I knew this already and thrush on my tounge which is worrying. The nurse told me to go and see her when my allergy results come back (eggs, wheat ect...)

I used to eat bags of sweets, coca cola and cereal twice a day. Plus the antibiotics so I think it probably is candida. When I went to the docs a while ago he told me my inhalers are probably causing the thrush. My sister went to see about the same problem and they told her that the medical community doesn't regonise candida as a real problem.

I don't want to give up chocolate, fruit and cereal ect.. and feel like I've been cursed
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #1238
Junior LCF Member

Also probiotics can give some people bad and good bacteria or just bad. Or they can help you...but how do we know?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #1239
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Cinshad
Stats: 210/189/165
Start Date: 11/15/08
Quote:
I had my swob results back which showed skin infection (due to staph) which is on everybodys skin. I knew this already and thrush on my tounge which is worrying. The nurse told me to go and see her when my allergy results come back (eggs, wheat ect...)

I used to eat bags of sweets, coca cola and cereal twice a day. Plus the antibiotics so I think it probably is candida. When I went to the docs a while ago he told me my inhalers are probably causing the thrush. My sister went to see about the same problem and they told her that the medical community doesn't regonise candida as a real problem.

I don't want to give up chocolate, fruit and cereal ect.. and feel like I've been cursed

What have you got to lose if you give up your favorites (and I mean go really strict) for a few weeks. Experiment and see how you feel doing that and then, if you like try SLOWLY adding back each favorite. I would bet that you will feel so much better that you would not go back to eating the sweets, coco cola and packaged processed foods, or at least you would find that some are ok and which are making you sicker. If you went on a strict no yeast, low carb diet for a few weeks with no cheating and you still have some to learn, you might really learn more than you expect. It is only a experimental commitment for a few weeks and if not for you, (I doubt it) you can know for sure. The first few days will be difficult, but we humans are very adaptable when it comes to diet . REally what is to lose as in a few weeks if you are not feeling better you can know you have at least tried. Have you ever eaten totally wheat and sugar free before? That may be enough to help you.
in 2000, went from 245/140/145...exceeded expectations and stayed at goal for 6 years then got very sloppy and careless and stressed and I do not know, but regained over half of what I had lost and decided to get serious about my health. Restarted 11/15/08 and just over 10 pounds down....much slower this time> but I feel so much better without the processed sugars and grains!
210/189/165 (newer goal is where I feel and move my best)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #1240
Junior LCF Member

I am eating almost sugar and yeast free now. But still eating wheat and small ammount of fruit. Compared to what I used to eat my sugar levels must be hardly anything. I am craving sugar... but I'm not giving in. I just don't know how someone can be healthy without fruit? Also, it's a big thing for example - you're not supposed to drink caffine in tea but I'd be truly exhausted without it. Imagine the cinema - no coke zero (caffinie and sweeteners and no popcorn) and many other times... it's just hard and after a week and a half I feel no different. Still, aching and tired even with...

The supplements zinc, magnisium, multi and garlic

Hardly any sugar and no yeast. Still white tounge
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #1241
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I always make my tea with loose leaves and now mix half green and half reg, because the green is so good for you but I think it is pretty tasteless and I like my tea heavy...I do not worry about caffeine in tea, but add a bit of stevia or xylitol. But you can get decaf if you prefer (I do not)
As for the movies, they have nothing healthy for you to eat. I sneak in a small bottle of water and a few ziploc bags of nuts and maybe a yogurt or cottage cheese serving, or a small apple or tangarine or something. There is really nothing wrong with whole fresh fruits once you get other junk out and get the yeast under control--I did not get sicker or fatter eating whole fruits and maintained quite well for a few years on real whole foods. I blew it when I started eating the processed crackers, breads, cereals, desserts with abandon and really was eating mostly junk food for the past two years. My health is more important than their policies and profit on the consessions... I will not make consessions! One can handle some processed refined sugar and some wheat you are healthy--but not if you are sick.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #1242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
It's possible to go to the movies and not eat, you know! It's only two hours.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #1243
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post

True, true! but the popcorn smells SO good! if i have been eating crap, i just can't say no but if i have been eating "good", I can say no to all of it. it's weird how that works.

two days now I've been without my usual loads of carbs. i'm doing my best adding in more protein, hard to do as a veghead. i think i'm going to have to start eating chicken or something. still reading the atkins book....
Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #1244
Junior LCF Member

RE the movies - I know it was just a general comment. Meaning lots of things eg selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs.

I feel amazing tonight! I've hardly had any sugar today and no yeast. As i feel now it feels impossible to go back to feeling like crap again but I know i will as my problem has been going on for about six years now.

Today I had my supplements inc garlic - corn flakes and soya milk, chicken sandwich made with cracker bread, salad and grapefruit, oats - porridge for supper. Low sugar in everything. If only I can keep it up...
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #1245
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellaSF View Post
LOL and a word of caution. Years ago, my dad who is a large man of 6'6" went to the theater with a chunk of feta cheese wrapped in a napkin in his coat pocket which he had taken off of his salad at lunch earlier that day and forgot about it until al the people around him started cringing and moving away. It had gotten riper over the day, and he had not noticed it. Do not take anything to the movies that could possibly have a strong odor.
I mostly go to the movies with my son and we do not to concessions. Period.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #1246
Blabbermouth!!!

our movie theater sells dill pickles.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 AM   #1247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
I'm still here and been doing great and feel great.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #1248
Junior LCF Member

I wonder if someone could tell mr their diet for the week as I'm really struggling. Tonight I had green beans and plain white fish (boring and not very nutrious) Then I had grapefruit with soya cream but I'm hungry all the time. The whole thing is making me depressed
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #1249
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
I wonder if someone could tell mr their diet for the week as I'm really struggling. Tonight I had green beans and plain white fish (boring and not very nutrious) Then I had grapefruit with soya cream but I'm hungry all the time. The whole thing is making me depressed
Try not to get hungry...eat more often, if you can. Do you have a weight issue combined with the other issues or do you not want to lose any weight?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #1250
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
green beans and white fish IS very nutrious or nutritious. nothing there to feed the yeast either. try drinking a cup of warm water or broth before eating...will help to make you feel full. Plenty of water to flush everything through the system.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #1251

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
RE the movies - I know it was just a general comment. Meaning lots of things eg selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs.

I feel amazing tonight! I've hardly had any sugar today and no yeast. As i feel now it feels impossible to go back to feeling like crap again but I know i will as my problem has been going on for about six years now.

Today I had my supplements inc garlic - corn flakes and soya milk, chicken sandwich made with cracker bread, salad and grapefruit, oats - porridge for supper. Low sugar in everything. If only I can keep it up...
You're dragging it out if you want my honest assesment. Why are you so resistant with so much evidence? Allopathic medicine will also not give you the answers holistic medicne does.

Rather than low sugar, you need no sugar......you're letting the yeast hang on by a thread and it will jump back into proliphic numbers if you don't irradicate it.

Probiotics are not bad unless it's an extreme case of some medical anamoly that I can't even think of. But, I'm not a medical doc either. Gut flora is so important. The digestive tract is 70% of your immune system and is considered to be your second brain.

Not sure what your holiday plans are but when you have no road blocks, I highly recommend you eat meat and vegetables to irradicate the yeast.

You mention fruit and health. It's not healthy to feed a bacteria that can become systemic and eventually lead to many different degenerative diseases, namely cancer. It is in fact healthy to eliminate that food that is potentially harming you and re-introducing it later in life.

A white tongue does not go easily. It might even take you a year to get rid of this un-friendly bacteria.

Do some research on colloidal silver as well.

Be well and study study study because you are skeptical. You can't be succesful with something in which you don't fully believe.

Last edited by fawn; 12-23-2008 at 07:37 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #1252
Senior LCF Member

Merry Christmas everybody!

I have been telling myself not to go crazy and eat every sweet I can find. I don't want to ruin any progress that I've made. But it seems like everyone is intent on pushing food on me! It's the weirdest thing!

Hope everybody has a great holiday!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #1253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Did you add any fat to your fish/beans? If you fry your beans in butter (or just add a TBS after they are steamed) and make a garlic/butter/herb topping for your fish it would taste SO much better and the fat would satiate you and keep you fuller longer.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
I just wanted to say Hi and Thanks for all the info. I just found the site and haven't finished this thread yet. I've had yeast problems for years and mostg everyone thinks I'm a crank when I mention it. Though I finally have the BF convinced. Gotta run now. Will post more later.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #1255
Junior LCF Member

According to my sisters doctor candida is a load of rubish. He told her that it hasn't been proven and that yeast developing into stubs that go to the rest of your body is nonscence. I asked her about systemic candida and she said "how many people have died because of this and wheres the proof?"

My diet went to hell over Christmas. I ate chocolate and christmas pud - it was nice and I don't feel any different. I guess everything in moderation - back to the diet now. I'm using listerine on my tounge which kills off 99& of bad bacteria. So, my plan is get rid of the thrush and see if it comes back with the diet and then without the diet...

Merry Christmas to you all
Old 12-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #1256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Most conventional docs don't believe in a lot of stuff, that is why I use complimentary docs most of the time.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #1257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
This is a fascinating thread and I appreciate all the information provided here.

I do have one question I hope someone with some experience can help me with. I believe my 19 y/o DD is struggling with candida. She has many of the symptoms, including an acne problem that will not clear up no matter what she has done (a prolonged antiobiotic treatment for acne is what I feel got her into this mess). Anyway, she's in college and has tried to improve her eating habits. She's been taking Udo's Super 8 probiotic for about three months.

I really can't afford right now to take her to the nearest natural, holistic doctor (90 miles away) because they don't take insurance. So I've been researching books instead.

So my one question: if you could recommend just one all-inclusive book that would explain the treatment of candida (including diet details), what would it be? At Amazon, I'm looking at The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook, Revised 2nd Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet by Jeanne Marie Martin and Zoltan Rona. Is that a good one? Or is there a more recent book that covers the issue better?

Thanks for your help. It has been just heartbreaking to see my beautiful daughter struggle with this for so long.

P. S. And one more question, is there a place online to look for doctors in my area who treat candida?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #1258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bhambabe
Stats: R4P3 91 pounds released
WOE: Dr. Simeon's Protocol HHCG
Start Date: Started 7/21/09
Wild Rose College and Wholistic Clinic

This plan helped me a lot .
Janeann
Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #1259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
Bhambabe ~ thanks for that link. That diet posted is very concise! Have you tried their Cand-Aid kit? Wonder if that kit is just a month's supply of the ingredients?

Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #1260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhambabe View Post
Wild Rose College and Wholistic Clinic

This plan helped me a lot .
Janeann
Thank you for posting that link