Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #1201
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Once again he's not saying it's not real he's just saying not everyone has it. Candida is blaimed for symptoms that it doesn't cause.

For example I might have chronic fatigue syndrome or IBS (it doesn't neccessarily mean candida) That article says that treating yourself is dangerous because you're risking health problems by eating a poor diet. Cutting out sugar, starch, cereals, bread, wheat, dairy, fruit ect... is bad for you unless you absolutley have to. What else is there for you to eat? Also if you take supplemements does it make your symptoms go away? Because mine are still here. So, something else which doesn't seem to make a difference.

All I'm saying is you should see a dietian and ask these questions to them:

Before answering questions on antibiotics, steroids ect ask which tests method the practitioner uses

Never accept - you have a candida - as a diagnose without knowing which disease allowed the candida to grow in the first place

Ask the practitioner why it cannot be a bacterial problem instead of a fungal one?

Why cannot it be IBS?

If the practitioner connects IBS with candida ask which type of IBS (IBS-A, IBS-C, IBS-D,IBS-PS)

Ask why it can't be inflammatory bowel disease?

Ask what the difference is between candida, leaky gut syndrome and IBS

Ask how sure they are that it is candida albicans and not another fungus or candida species

Ask if the medication is designed to kill ALL yeasts/fungus

Ask if the medication is designed to inhibit the growth of ALL yeast/fungi

Aky whether the medication contains yeast

The practioner must have a plausible explanation for choosing a specific duration treatment/diet

If candida is secondary ask if and when it comes back because you have not been diagnosed for the primary health problem
Excemasucks is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #1202
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Saying that all websites tell you to cut out these products is a cop out because they all copy each other. If you believe all of them you'd be better not to eat at all...

About the die off

Interesting that this die off seems to only be a candida problem and not so much a bacterial one. Imagine taking antibiotics for a severe bacterial inflamation. Why don't you always feel worse once starting the treatment? What about the dead bacteria cell wall proteins? Although it is said, that the herxheimer reaction can accur in half the patients who take antibiotics. But this is not a so called normal or typical reaction but occurs when there is a faster then normal bacteria destruction because of too high doses of strong antibiotics.

In candida cases this die off theory comes in handy. If you do not feel worse and just like you did before you started the new treatment it is proof of success. I am sure the practioner will tell you to find a way to sell you the no improvement as an improvement because you should feel worse and by not feeling bad it clearly proves that the treatment is working! That's what I call a win win situation...

On top of it you feel better because you avoid sugar and unhealthy food (everybody feels better when avoiding unhealthy food) And as the weeks, months and years go by and you are still suffering instead of opening your mind that the whole candida diagnosis might be wrong and that it might be something different you have sank into the candida hole and you are stuck with the diagnosis and the diagnoser and the overwhelming candida websites that all copy each other. Like being in a scet, the candida sect...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #1203
Blabbermouth!!!
 
luckiangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 5,677
Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
bacteria does have a die off stage and like candida some feel worse than others. it has alot to do with your immune system and how well your body is performing. i can't agree with your theory or the information that you are providing because i've been there. i've been diagnosed by a licensed practitioner and my illness and symptoms were very real. Your information is based on the ignorance of the mainstream medical community when in fact there are a few doctors who DO recognize candida and the problems that it causes. I for one have not been one who has gotten their information from a website but from medical research and as i said before a licensed medical practitioner. I will agree that not all people have candida overgrowth and even the people who do have different symptoms at different times. Thank you for sharing your perspective as i believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I became an holistic practioner from my experience with candida in order to help others who may or have experienced this particular type of health problem. I came here for support as did the others on this thread. It's kinda hard to take that eating healthy for any reason is a waste of time and that sugar, white flour and other processed foods are actually considered "good" for you???? On a low carb board even. I for one am not suffering. You know Pasteur once was told pretty much the same thing for his findings of microscopic organisms. He was told that he was crazy and how could something you can't see hurt you? Imagine if the people who died from that disease he discovered has listened.....perhaps mad cow disease would not be such a big problem now. Anyone not feeling well regardless the reason is worth being listened to and acknowledged.
__________________
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it ~ Chinese Proverb
luckiangel is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #1204
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
I'm not saying that you don't have candida. I'm just saying that not everyone does and the symptoms listed on the internet alot of the time are false. I may have it as I have a white coating on my tounge but until my swob results come back I'm not gonna assume that I have it. That's what I was doing...

No, avoiding the foods you mentioned isn't bad. However your body needs some sugar for energy, it also needs carbs from potatoes ect... and a low carb diet can be bad for you. Your body also needs fruit and vitamins. So, yes a candida diet can be damaging to your health.
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #1205
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Excemasucks, I wish you luck in your Journey. I have BTDT and I don't want the another T-shirt.

It sounds like you are just starting out on your Journey. I hope you find some answers because I know how frustrating this can be.

You know, there was a quote from the show "Celebrity Re-hab" with one of the Counselors on the show... "Some people will do what it takes and others will do what the Think it should take".

As I have said, I have been there and done that. It's easy to do with so much conflicting information and hardly any help from people in the Standard medical field. Top that with "wanting" to be able to eat all those foods. I can hear that in your posts with the confusion in what to eat (eating bread with no yeast but having flour and eating fruit every day).

By all means, read all you can read on this. Check out all you can. See your doctor and keep track of your own symptoms and reactions. I hope it does work for you.

But, I have been down that route, years ago. It didn't work for me and only made me worse and even more frustrated.

I don't have a problem living without bread or sugar because I know what those foods do to me. I would much rather feel good, be healthy and eat fresh, real food.

I am pro-active in my own health. I don't take anyone's "word" for anything. I don't think you should either. You have to find this out on your own. I truly "feel" for you because I have been where you are. It's all a part of the "Journey". I shared my Story in the beginnng of this thread. Even about going to the doctor, him telling me that "Diet" doesn't matter and just take these pills and you will be cured. I ended up sicker then before. I was back to square one. I was on my own.

The "Theory" of what you have read and what you want to do sounds great. Now you have to find out on your own if it's true and if it will work for you. I wish you the best. It's all a part of the Journey.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #1206
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
I'm not saying that you don't have candida. I'm just saying that not everyone does and the symptoms listed on the internet alot of the time are false. I may have it as I have a white coating on my tounge but until my swob results come back I'm not gonna assume that I have it. That's what I was doing...

No, avoiding the foods you mentioned isn't bad. However your body needs some sugar for energy, it also needs carbs from potatoes ect... and a low carb diet can be bad for you. Your body also needs fruit and vitamins. So, yes a candida diet can be damaging to your health.
No, your body doesn't need Sugar for energy and No your body doesn't need carbs from potatoes.

Yes, a Low carb diet is healthy, and it's not a "No carb" diet. There are carbs in everything except Real meat, real fat, and water. It's the type of carbs you eat. You don't want to eat carbs that turn into Sugar in your body and spike your insulin levels. There are also more vitamins and minerals in real food, then in the "Filler food" that is full of STarch/sugar.

On a low carb diet, you eat real meat, real veggies and some low carb fruits that are a powerhouse of nutrients. Berries are one of those.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #1207
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
What do you eat for breakfast and supper? Because I usually have corn flakes, rice krispies or shredded wheat that are low in sugar or have no sugar (the shredded wheat) What is wrong with wheat and candida? If it's just wheat and not flour?

Surley rice krispies are ok because they are just 2g in sugar a bowel and isn't rice allowed? What about fruit? Various websites say you can have a quarter of a banana or a grapefruit, an apple or kiwi with probiotic youghurt! Is this true?

I'm so confused by it all. Yesterday I had no energy and today I have loads...on the same diet
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #1208
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Another question I have is how do you know that it's working? Where's the before and after picture that shows candida is eliminated? And that we even have it in the first place? I've started the diet (partially as I'm still having wheat and some fruit) but it costs a lot of money. Soya milk, probiotic yougurt, yakults, nuts ect...

I don't want to give the diet up but if I don't eat some of the things (living at home) I wouldn't eat anything.
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #1209
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carson City, Nevada
Posts: 422
Gallery: DesertRose
I've been fighting yeast off and on since the 70s. One of the worst cases of thrush I ever had was after someone innocently said, 'you need postassium, eat more bananas.' So I was doing 1/2 banana twice a day. My tongue grew in size, was white, insides of cheeks too, and ears flared up. End of bananas. Don't think I've had one since. 1/2 once in awhile might be ok for some, but none for me.

I've finally cleared up my swollen ears, again. The colloidal silver helped a lot. Also cleared up sore on face that didn't want to leave. I've even waited a day or two before posting as it sometimes comes back up. Ears are best they've been in 5-10 years.

I'm still doing CO in coffee every day plus ACV and aloe juice in water every day. Besides taking other supplements to help. Eating low carb as much as I can during the holidays. Not real strict and still no problems. No bloating or itching anymore. Feeling pretty good.
__________________
Desert Rose
"I don't age, I blossom!"
DesertRose is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #1210
Senior LCF Member
 
willBfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 116
Gallery: willBfit
I think when you are doing anti-candida you have to omit mold/mildew things as well as sugar. I was eating tons of peanuts out of the shell but read that they are moldy so I cut those out.

I went to my library and got the Atkins book today but they didn't have Yeast Connection (at a different branch). They will call me when it comes in. Yesterday I was sick all day long and I know it's because I had several vodka/cranberry juice drinks the night before. Ugh, why do I continue to poison myself? I'm just beginning to feel better today.
__________________
[COLOR="Magenta"]Jaime[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If not, raise your standards![/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.[/COLOR]
willBfit is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #1211
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 695
Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Excemasucks, love the Spike avatar!

For breakfast, how about bacon or sausage and eggs? For dinner, steak, chicken, pork, fish, broccoli, spinach, salad, butter, olive oil?
MarcellaSF is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #1212
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Thanks Marcella

You're not supposed to eat Bacon or sausage as it has added sugar. I'm allergic to eggs (excema) See what I mean!

I had probiotic yogurt at tea-time and I feel like hell now. Not sure why? But it feels like I feel when I've taken anti-biotics in the past. It's a feeling of being too awake with aching muscles (weakness) this suggests that the probiotic is doing something but what?

How do I! How do we know that it's not killing off the bad and good bacteria? How do we know that it's doing anything? What if it kills off the good and not the bad?

ARgh! I think I'm gonna stop taking it and continue the diet. I have to wait until Monday for my swob results which is annoying. In the mean time I'm gonna get a tounge scraper and get rid of the white. Then I can see if it comes back or not...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #1213
Senior LCF Member
 
RW City Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 879
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Hi, I thought I would delurk to join in the discussion here. I've been following this thread for awhile as I have been coming to the conclusion that some of my problems lately are likely yeast/candida related. I have upped the amt of CO I am using and it seems to have helped me feel better in general right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyN View Post
So what do you eat? Your diet should starve the yeast plain and simple. That means completely eliminating those known "yeast feeders!" Well first off Take it slowly! Do not try to do everything at once or you will completely derail your efforts.

Start by removing all sugars, then all starches from your diet, then move on to removing fruit, then nuts, lastly dairy. Eat good protein and be sure to eat enough fat! Eat non starchy veggies! So what does a menu look like?

B: 2 eggs, steak, onions

L: Steak and cabbage with onions and garlic
D: Chicken and cucumbers dressed in ACV(with the mother) salt and pepper

Drink plenty of pure water. I drink a tension tamer tea with CO and clove oil

Supplements to begin: antifungals
CO Coconut oil start with 1 tsp. per day and work up to 5-6 TBS
ACV (With the Mother) 2-3 Tbsp per day mixed in water
Pau d'arco tea a mild natural anti fungal

Next after you are able to handle the diet and these supplements, then start taking a more powerful anti fungal in addition to those things such as:
Olive leaf extract
Grapefruitseed extract
Oil of Oregano
Clove oil
Raw garlic cloves or garlic capsules

Rotate these by taking each for 7 days and then switching. There are other supplements that you need too, like a good multi, E,C, EFA's, Cod Liver oil, and others that I will try to put in a post soon.
LadyN, thanks for this practical advice--very helpful, especially your encouragement to take it slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
I'm still doing CO in coffee every day plus ACV and aloe juice in water every day. Besides taking other supplements to help.
DesertRose, if you don't mind me asking, what other supplements are you taking that you find helpful?
RW City Sue is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #1214
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
No offence but I notice that nobody is answering my questions. Is this because you don't know how to monitor if candida is there or when it's gone? I don't just want to take it on faith that I or we have this. Where's the proof? If you have a skin infection you can see it and you can see the rash heal. What about in the gut?

I'm gonna stop drinking yakult as it has 11g of sugar in it - what's the point? And probiotics made me feel like crap yesterday. Thankfully better this morning. Low sugar and no yeast diet for me.
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #1215
Nik
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,696
Gallery: Nik
Stats: (299) 295/287/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/25/07; 1/4/09; 8/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
No offence but I notice that nobody is answering my questions.
I lurk on this thread because I have some yeast concerns. Not everything that everyone tries is good for me and my body. If I'm feeling cruddy or need some advice, I stop here to find out if anyone has experienced my symptoms before and treated them naturally.

If you're looking for a scientific, black and white, prescribed solution to your health issues, you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.

Personal, natural health MAINTENANCE is a personal choice that involves a good deal of speculation, experimentation, and time. This thread should give you ideas of how to experiment with your own health, to your level of comfort. Keep in mind that most successful experiments follow similar rules (even the ones doctors do when they swab your tongue or prescribe a drug).

1. Don't change too many things at once or you won't know what's working/not working.
2. Stay consistent with your changes to maintain some sort of reliability in your results.
3. Honestly and objectively record your observations. If it doesn't work-write it down!
4. Continue the experiment for a sustained period of time before analyzing your data. (7-10 days, minimum)
5. Make an educated decision about whether to continue the treatment.

There's no magic pill, no guaranteed result, and no prescription for everybody. That's why we can't answer you. What works for me may not work for you, and even if I'm sure it would, I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

Good luck!
__________________
*Enjoying my precious baby*

Nikie
Indiana
Nik is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #1216
Blabbermouth!!!
 
luckiangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 5,677
Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
presence of yeast: white tongue, itching, burning, painful urination, blisters on the skin in extreme cases, bread like odor from sweat or urination, headache, fatigue, lack of concentration, gas/bloating, frequent stomach upset, tissue swelling, migraines, cravings for alcohol, anxiety, rectal itching, cravings for sweets, hyperactivity, diarrhea/constipation, pencil like stools, mood swings, ance, eczema, depression, sinus inflammation, PMS, dizziness, poor memory, cough, earaches, muscle weakness, irritability, sensitivity to fragrances, thrush, athlete's foot, sore throat, indigestion, acid reflux.

these symptoms can also be caused by things other than candida but people with candida can or have experienced a few if not all of these symptoms. Please do not misconstrue that i am saying that if you have these symptoms you have candida......Everyone has candida. It is part of our normal flora in the digestive tract. These symptoms may or may not be experienced when an overgrowth occurs. An overgrowth occurs when the immune system is out of balance and allows it room to grow. this occurs after taking medications such as prednisone or antibiotics are the most common. The antibiotics kill good bacteria and yeast as well as the bad. When this happens there is plenty of room for opportunistic bacteria, parasites and yeast to grow. Supplementation with acidophillus or other probiotics is essential to keep a normal balance of all organisms. When overgrowth occurs you don't always know it. Some people don't have any symptoms. Some people have extreme symptoms. Everyone is different.

I have found that with supplementation and diet if i find relief then i am pretty sure it's working. When my tongue is pink and not white whatever i am doing is working. When i am able to sleep at night it's working. When i don't smell like a loaf of bread while i am working out, it's working. But as it has already been said everyone is different and you just have to experiment and see what's right for you.

As far as diet goes wheat products can easily be replaced by other types of grains such as amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, barley, oat, millet, kamut, sorghum/milo, teff, wild rice. These are great alternatives to wheat based products and add alot of flavor and variety to any meal. The Yeast Connection Cookbook states that you can eat all kinds of veggies except for corn and legumes. Lean meats of any kind, fish and other seafood. Oils such as flaxseed, safflower, sunflower, soy, sesame, walnut, olive and canola. if you stop and think about it for each of those food items there are alot of foods associated with them. Creativity and experimentation are key to finding what kind of menu's will be enjoyable by you. I have found no problem with variety and planning meals for myself or my family. I found that adding only one new food per week helped me to understand if I was sensitive to it or not. Sensitivities sometimes take up to a week for reaction. Headache, nausea, rash/hives, stomach upset, itching. If i experienced any of those symptoms I wouldn't eat that food again and I was off to trying something else. It takes time and patience for sure but it's worth being healthy. My naturopath at the time also had me try using psyllium husk and buffered vitamin c to push through the sensitivity to get it out of my system faster so my liver wouldn't work overtime. I got used to having the buffered C in the morning mixed with water...tasted like orange juice, the psyllium you can mix in with food or beverage or now they have capsules which make it easier for you to swallow. it's nothing but fiber and vitamins. Boosting your immune system will help to maintain that balance. Hope that helps.
luckiangel is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #1217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
about the herxhiemer reaction and not feeling 'die off' when you take antibiotics.

Antibiotics do not kill yeast... it is the YEAST die off that made things worse for me when I cut off their food and added antifugals to my regimes. I do not have scientific PROOF, but every.single. 'symptom' of yeast overgrowth I had, got so bad during those 3 weeks when I started the protocol.. I almost gave up.

Then, they went away. I have no more rashes, no more white tongue, no more 'feminine' itching to name a few.

Sugar feeds yeast, we know that is a fact....
carbs= sugar, we know our bodies treat them the same way.
grains = carbs = sugar = food for the yeast.

IBS appears to be relieved for MANY by following a grain free, low carb diet.. that is ALSO a fact.
Yeast is said to grow tentacles which poke miniscule holes in our intestines.
IBS, celiacs and gluten intolerance is said to be a sign of damaged intestinal villi and leaky gut syndrome.
Cutting out gluten and grains appears to be helpful in a lot of people.

So I do not need anyone to tell me that cutting carbs and grains are good for me.. because when I eat them every symptom of a yeast overgrowth comes back. My sister cannot even BREATHE gluten and she blows up like a puffer fish overnight, not to mention needing a bathroom within 20 minutes. She spent her entire first 12 years of her life on antibiotics and also had every symptom in the book of a yeast overgrowth.

I am so aware that science has become more of a religion than actual science anymore when it comes to nutrition... I now trust my body and whole natural foods to feed it because that is when I feel my absolute best.
Margot 65 is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #1218
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 695
Gallery: MarcellaSF
Stats: Ugh/Better/Yay
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: Restart 5 June 2010
Quote:
You're not supposed to eat Bacon or sausage as it has added sugar. I'm allergic to eggs (excema) See what I mean!
Well, most of the people on this low carb board eat bacon pretty regularly! I don't have a package to check at the moment, but if regular bacon has sugar I think it's a pretty insignificant amount. Sausages can be made of any number of ingredients, and it's possible to find some that are just meat and herbs and spices.

If you're eating cereal and fruit now, you're eating a million times more sugar than you would be getting in bacon, believe me.

It's a pity about the egg allergy! But you could always just eat the same things you eat for lunch and dinner for breakfast. There is no rule that says it has to be different foods from other meals.

I'm not sure from your posts so far whether you realize you are on a board for people who eat low-carb?
MarcellaSF is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #1219
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
What do you eat for breakfast and supper? Because I usually have corn flakes, rice krispies or shredded wheat that are low in sugar or have no sugar (the shredded wheat) What is wrong with wheat and candida? If it's just wheat and not flour?

Surley rice krispies are ok because they are just 2g in sugar a bowel and isn't rice allowed? What about fruit? Various websites say you can have a quarter of a banana or a grapefruit, an apple or kiwi with probiotic youghurt! Is this true?

I'm so confused by it all. Yesterday I had no energy and today I have loads...on the same diet
Excemasucks, I'm sorry, I wasn't Online to see your question. Also, most of us on this site have been on or are very familar with Low carb and how it works. I'm trying to take myself back and filll in the gaps for you.

You mention sugar, but you don't seem to have the concept (I'm going to try and help you with this) That it's just not sugar, but foods that turn into sugar when ingested in your body...Such as Wheat, rice, flour, bread, pasta etc... Sugar might not be listed in the ingrediants, but those "starches" turn into sugar in your body. Does that make sense to you? So, although you might be eating "rice crispies" with no "ADDED" sugar, that will turn into sugar in your body and raise your insulin levels. Same thing with Bread.

You seem to think it's just eating "Sugar" and "Yeast" (Those are the ingrediants you are looking at) and not realizing it's the Flour and Starch that turns into Sugar and raises your insulin levels.

That's the Concept of "Low carb" and it's also the concept of the Anti-yeast/Candida diet. You don't want to eat foods that will raise your insulin levels.

Fruit? A lot of fruit is mainly Sugar/Starch. When doing low carb (after induction) you can have some fruits that don't raise your insulin levels as much as other fruits, such as Berries.


So, a Low carb diet is one that you don't want your insulin levels raised by eating Starch and sugar. On the anti-yeast/Candida Diet, you eat this way so that you are not feeding the yeast/Candida in your body.

Most pre-packaged foods will have a lot of starch/sugar in it. Think pasta, Cereals, etc...

What do I eat for breakfast? Eggs, with Tomatoes and onions. Real food. Not pre-packaged and no grain or sugar.

Last edited by Tooter; 12-20-2008 at 10:03 AM..
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #1220
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Thanks for the advice - everyone I appreciate it. So, basically all the stuff on the net that says you can eat fruit and rice is rubbish. I'm gonna continue as normal and see a dietian when I get my results back. Your breakfast would be no good for me as I don't like onions and I'm allergic to eggs. Plus surley you don't have the same thing every day?

If bacon doesn't contain much sugar I'll have that tomorrow but tomatoes are a fruit (sugar?)

Thanks guys
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #1221
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
One more thing - herxhiemer reaction and not feeling 'die off' when you take antibiotics.

Antibiotics kill both your good and bad bacteria so you should feel bad but you don't always. That's what he means.

The problem with probiotics is that they might kill off your good bacteria or your good and bad and you can't see it to check. I've seen shows on TV that show how it makes some people better and others a hell of a lot worse...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #1222
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,048
Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
What do you eat for breakfast and supper? Because I usually have corn flakes, rice krispies or shredded wheat that are low in sugar or have no sugar (the shredded wheat) What is wrong with wheat and candida? If it's just wheat and not flour?

Surley rice krispies are ok because they are just 2g in sugar a bowel and isn't rice allowed? What about fruit? Various websites say you can have a quarter of a banana or a grapefruit, an apple or kiwi with probiotic youghurt! Is this true?

I'm so confused by it all. Yesterday I had no energy and today I have loads...on the same diet
Hang around the board a bit. I think you might be surprised at the information you find.

You are ingesting some horrible foods that are sure to feed your candida. And yes, it is huge and you are riddled with it. I hope you can read this thread and become convinced before it goes systemic for you.

A few good books are in order here.......honestly, I'm not sure where to start with you but from the beginning of whole real foods vs processed foods which contribute to chronic disease.

Let me begin by giving you a great site to paruse for clarification as well as the science behind a whole foods, full fat, no refined food plan. Do me a favor (or yourself I should say) and while on this site, search "the dirty secrets of the food processing industry" Weston A. Price Foundation

You are feeding your candida whether the sugar be on the tip of a needle or 2 cups, it doesn't matter.

Yours is a serious case and you owe it to yourself to become educated.

Be well and if you have any questions, you're in the right place

P.S., Yakult is a candida oxymoron as it has sugar added.

I also wanted to add that I am a certified nutrition educator and this was a huge subject in school. I see a Naturopathic Dr. so that we are on the same page and I'm not forced to "educate" my doc.

This is not a mainstream diagnosis so you might be wasting your money with a conventionally trained dietician.

Last edited by fawn; 12-20-2008 at 11:34 AM..
fawn is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #1223
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Gallery: Excemasucks
Thanks how long would you say that it takes to become systemic? I say this because my tounge has been white for about 3 or 4 years now. So, that's a long time. I scrapped it tonight and all the white came off and it went pink. Does that sound like yeast? I'm only waiting until Monday and my results before I see the nurse again. The reason I started to think about this was my skin was weapy and yellow and when i dry it up it feels better. Yeast likes a greasy invironment and when i use any moisturiser my skin gets really bad. But I'm being tested for eggs, milk, wheat and yeast for allergy. I've also had swobs to show if my tounge is yeast and if my face has yeast on it. White in the mouth could also be dry mouth (dried spit) or dried toothpaste. Or cells that are on the tounge which is what my Doctor said.

So, my condition could be lack of sleep. Hurry up MOnday so I can tell. Will let you know...
Excemasucks is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #1224
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,048
Gallery: fawn
You're riddled with yeast amongst food allergies.

Your most apparent allergies of course are probably as you've mentioned some, eggs, soy, wheat, dairy.......

It is my advice that some pretty agressive changes are in order for you and your first succesful transition will be that of eliminating any and all processed foods most particulary that breakfast cereal. I don't even like organic breakfast cereals. When something must be fortified in order to be edible and nourishing???? That's a key component in decision making.

You speak of moisturizers antagonizing your eczema? Of course they are......coconut oil is your answer and jojoba for light moisture.

As far as systemic? I can't answer a time line for you. Biochemical individuality as well, other environmental factors dictate this.

I will ask you though to for your own piece of mind to be a bit less skeptical. Natural remedies can be quite beneficial to ones life. They have for mine.

Be well
fawn is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #1225
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
Thanks for the advice - everyone I appreciate it. So, basically all the stuff on the net that says you can eat fruit and rice is rubbish. I'm gonna continue as normal and see a dietian when I get my results back. Your breakfast would be no good for me as I don't like onions and I'm allergic to eggs. Plus surley you don't have the same thing every day?

If bacon doesn't contain much sugar I'll have that tomorrow but tomatoes are a fruit (sugar?)

Thanks guys
I eat different things for breakfast. We have this idea of "Breakfast Foods", which are pancakes, cereal, toast, etc...

Take a look at the word "Breakfast". All it is, is "breaking the fast" from not eating for 12 hours or more. That's All breakfast means.

Sometimes I have left overs from the night before for breakfast. Sometimes I will make a steak, or have fish....Or just a salad.

You can have ANYTHING, low carb for breakfast. Your just breaking the fast.

Oh, and I tend to eat my "breakfast" at about 10 am. I'm not one of those people that can eat right away, when I get up.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #1226
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excemasucks View Post
One more thing - herxhiemer reaction and not feeling 'die off' when you take antibiotics.

Antibiotics kill both your good and bad bacteria so you should feel bad but you don't always. That's what he means.

The problem with probiotics is that they might kill off your good bacteria or your good and bad and you can't see it to check. I've seen shows on TV that show how it makes some people better and others a hell of a lot worse...
Antibiotics Kill the bad bacteria and the Good bacteria in your gut. After taking an antibiotic, I don't start to feel sick until weeks after (but I know it's coming).

Why doesn't it happen all at once? First, the good bacteria dies, leaving an imbalance and nothing holding the bad bacteria back (Candida/yeast). Since nothing is holding it back, the colonies start to get larger. This doesn't happen all at once...It takes time. Yeast is a living organism. It eats, and it eliminates in your body. Kinda of gross to think about, eh? As this colony gets bigger, it eats more and eliminates more in your body, releasing all kinds of different toxins into your body. This results in symptoms of pain, disease and cravings. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for me.

To think it would happen instantly with an antibiotic is wrong. That's why it takes time and usually shows up AFTER the antibiotic is no longer being taken. That's enough time for the colony of Yeast, to grow, reproduce, eat more and eliminate more in your body, resulting in a dramatic increase in toxins in your body...which then results in symptoms and illness.
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #1227
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
The way to then "Fix" the problem is to No longer feed the Yeast (by high carbohydrate foods). This doesn' KILL the yeast, it just isn't feeding any EXTRA food. The next step is to actually try and Kill some of the yeast and this is where antifungals come in. Then, the next step would be to add in (re-introduce) the healthy bacteria back into your gut. This is what probiotics are.

You want to get your gut back into a balance with the Candida and good bacteria.

Diet alone can't do it. Diet and Antifungals alone, can't do it. It has to be Diet, antifungals and probiotics.

Don't feed the yeast any extra.
Antifungals to kill most of the yeast and get the numbers back down.
Probiotics to reintroduce the good bacteria we need and that will help keep the yeast in a "Balance".
Tooter is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #1228
Blabbermouth!!!
 
luckiangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 5,677
Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
very well put Tooter and Fawn....thank you.
luckiangel is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!
 
LadyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,294
Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I lurk on this thread because I have some yeast concerns. Not everything that everyone tries is good for me and my body. If I'm feeling cruddy or need some advice, I stop here to find out if anyone has experienced my symptoms before and treated them naturally.

If you're looking for a scientific, black and white, prescribed solution to your health issues, you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.

Personal, natural health MAINTENANCE is a personal choice that involves a good deal of speculation, experimentation, and time. This thread should give you ideas of how to experiment with your own health, to your level of comfort. Keep in mind that most successful experiments follow similar rules (even the ones doctors do when they swab your tongue or prescribe a drug).

1. Don't change too many things at once or you won't know what's working/not working.
2. Stay consistent with your changes to maintain some sort of reliability in your results.
3. Honestly and objectively record your observations. If it doesn't work-write it down!
4. Continue the experiment for a sustained period of time before analyzing your data. (7-10 days, minimum)
5. Make an educated decision about whether to continue the treatment.

There's no magic pill, no guaranteed result, and no prescription for everybody. That's why we can't answer you. What works for me may not work for you, and even if I'm sure it would, I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

Good luck!
VERY prudent advise!

Fawn and Tooter I thank you both for great info! I wonder if we could get a sticky going with the basic guidelines for an Anti-Candida protocol along with suggested reading and links to relevant reading? This would help with a lot of questions and confusion for newcomers.
LadyN is offline  
Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #1230
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Carson City, Nevada
Posts: 422
Gallery: DesertRose
Sue look at the 'products and supplements' section of this candida board. More there for you plus mine.

Excemasucks, All good advice so far, well done LCF! My suggestion is now that you've 'conversed' with us a bit, go back to the beginning and read all the posts of this candida thread, as well as the other one, the 'checking in' thread. There's more there than we can tell you in condensed form. All our experiences are spelled out there, as we were going through this process. One thought, though, maybe stop feeding the yeast, then slowly add CO and other antifungals, then later add in probiotics. I think that's what most of us have done. Go slow. Do not do it all at once, or you will only confuse yourself and your body. Best to see what each process does before moving on to another. And in the end, you may not even be truly allergic to eggs -- which is a great component of this LCF board. Good luck. Read, read, read. That's how we got to where we are now. And you'll recognize a few of us along the path of your reading. No matter what, keep us posted of your progress. We all care as we've 'been there, done that.'

Last edited by DesertRose; 12-20-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: clarification
DesertRose is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.