Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
Debbie - Hi - Do you remember me? Where have you been? How are you doing? Great to see you....I got the great info about the hard boiled eggs from you...I like them now! What's up?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #92
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TinaBina
WOE: L/C
This thread is so interesting.

My accupuncturist is treating me for yeast, he gave me a product called Tanalbit, I get really sick when I try and take it, so for now I'm just doing Atkins and taking ACV. I was doing CO also, but I am having a hell of a time losing weight, so I cut it out to see if there was any change.

My question is: I am on a long term low dose of steroids, I take 4 mg. of Medrol daily. Is it possible to get rid of yeast while taking steroids?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
This reaction is called the Herxheimer Reaction.

The Herxheimer Reaction
Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
Debbie - Hi - Do you remember me? Where have you been? How are you doing? Great to see you....I got the great info about the hard boiled eggs from you...I like them now! What's up?
HI Jane Of coarse I remember you!!! How are you doing? I have been around struggling as usual. I'm finally am excited to think maybe I can feel better. I did the salvia test and it showed I am definately have candida. I even had the little particles floating down. I have taken so many antibotics for acne and it never did work. This thread is just a wealth of information. I just want to thank Tooter for starting this. I had no idea about this stuff. I ordered the extra virgin CO, proboitics, and the oil.....i am brain dead can't even think of the name of it.:blush: (another symtom LOL)
I hope you have luck with this!

weight 257/235/130
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

I have a question. I have hypothyroid along with hasimotos. I am wondering could all of this happened from candida? ANYONE?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
I have a question. I have hypothyroid along with hasimotos. I am wondering could all of this happened from candida? ANYONE?
I am on thyroid meds and have never read about this in my researchings. Nonstickpam could give a definitive answer.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #97

A good book I recommend is "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. In particular Chapter 7 Yeast Overgrowth: A Hidden Cause of Food Cravings and Chapter 15 Repairing the Damage Caused by Yeasts.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I am on thyroid meds and have never read about this in my researchings. Nonstickpam could give a definitive answer.
Taking the supplments you take for this, do you seem to have more energy?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Candida is one suspected cause of hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease, to be exact).

I googled that and found it right away...

Good to know, because there appears to be a connection between celiacs/gluten intolerance and candida, and I know a lot of people who would be interested in that as well..

Wow.... antibiotics, we really paid an outrageous price didn't we
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
Taking the supplments you take for this, do you seem to have more energy?
I don't take any supplements for my thyroid specifically because I am on Armour. I have thyroid nodules that my endo is trying to suppress. I do have more energy since starting Armour but Synthroid caused heart palpitaions for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #101
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TinaBina
WOE: L/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
This reaction is called the Herxheimer Reaction.

The Herxheimer Reaction
Yeah, I read about that. I was hospitalized in July with Diverticulitis and I just couldn't put myself through that right now, I gave it two weeks, but it didn't let up.

Any thoughts about the long term steriod use?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
here is something i've found:

Steroids bind with candida, suppressing the immune response, thereby increasing colonization and promoting the spread of candida to cells which are penetrated in search of nutrients.

from this site: Candida Yeast Protection Program - Part 1 Understand and solve your yeast problem naturally

i have to go on and off steroids due to lupus and it always takes me a while to detox from the ordeal.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBina View Post
Yeah, I read about that. I was hospitalized in July with Diverticulitis and I just couldn't put myself through that right now, I gave it two weeks, but it didn't let up.

Any thoughts about the long term steriod use?

I was on long term/high dose steroids. I was on them for 1 1/2 years. I took 100mg for 3 months then 60 mg a month for 6 months then 40 mg a month for 3 months... I was slowly weened of them. I suffered from cushings syndrome from the steroids. I also took plaquenil which makes the steroids work better. Anyway, I have yeast issues. My rheumatoid Dr even said it would happen. A side affect of steroid use. I am new to treating it (just started today and things haven't gone well so far). I do not know if treating yeast and still being on steroids will do anything or if it will just waste your money. Maybe someone else on here will know more about yeast and steroids. Maybe you could ask your Dr?

260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234
[COLOR="Red"]233[/COLOR] 232 231 230
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #104

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
Candida is one suspected cause of hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's disease, to be exact).

I googled that and found it right away...

Good to know, because there appears to be a connection between celiacs/gluten intolerance and candida, and I know a lot of people who would be interested in that as well..

Wow.... antibiotics, we really paid an outrageous price didn't we
*nodding* Yep. They handed them out like candy.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 AM   #105
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
I was on long term/high dose steroids. I was on them for 1 1/2 years. I took 100mg for 3 months then 60 mg a month for 6 months then 40 mg a month for 3 months... I was slowly weened of them. I suffered from cushings syndrome from the steroids. I also took plaquenil which makes the steroids work better. Anyway, I have yeast issues. My rheumatoid Dr even said it would happen. A side affect of steroid use. I am new to treating it (just started today and things haven't gone well so far). I do not know if treating yeast and still being on steroids will do anything or if it will just waste your money. Maybe someone else on here will know more about yeast and steroids. Maybe you could ask your Dr?
i treat yeast when i'm on steroids. plaquenil and prednisone is the combo i usually have to take. i make sure to take my probiotics and do everything i can to counteract these terribly invasive drugs. it sucks when the drugs prescribed do just as much damage and create just as many side effects as the disease.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #106
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
*nodding* Yep. They handed them out like candy.
i'm convinced being over medicated as a child exasperated my predisposition to autoimmune diseases. usually, lupus doesn't rear its nasty head until much later. antibiotics in our water, food supply, and the endless penicillin i was on for misdiagnosed croup (really had asthma and allergies) definitely destroyed my immune system.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #107

Connection between Candida and Celiac disease?

The Candida Connection and information about celiac disease?

I found this very interesting...

-------------------

"Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of celiac disease?"

This interesting study compares a specific amino acid sequence found in Candida cell wall protein to a gliadin amino acid sequence that triggers the immune response in celiac disease. The researchers found that the sequences are “identical or highly homologous to known celiac disease-related alpha-gliadin and gamma-gliadin T-cell epitopes,” and PROPOSE THAT CANDIDA IS THE TRIGGER FOR CELIAC DISEASE....Lancet. 2003 Jun 21;361(9375):2152-4.

To clarify, this research shows that a protein found in the cell wall of Candida is very simiilar to gluten. As a result, the immune system can confuse gluten found in grains for the cell wall of the Candida and then mount a response against the gluten! The immune cell bound gluten then damages the small intestinal wall as in Celiac Disease!

---------------------------
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #108

Another very interesting Article!!

CANDIDA and the ANTIBIOTIC SYNDROME

Now, anyone know anything about Lugol's Solution (Iodine)?

This seems to be a "treatment" as well, but I don't know much about it.

As for Urine Therapy...I think I'll pass!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I have known for a long time that I have had yeast issues But until recently I never connected yeast with the out of control CRAVINGS that I get I will be going along just fine eating on plan, exercising feeling like "nothing can stop me now"........Then BAM out of nowhere I start craving sugar
I want to stay on plan so.....I end up looking around for "LEGAL" things that I can put in my mouth to try and satisfy my urges. I end up eating TOO many nuts or peanut butter usually (because I do not eat these daily, they are more like a treat to me) I over eat these items but they never really STOP the cravings. I will then end up going to bed, waking up in the morning up about 2 1/2 lbs And then work my but off trying to remove those lbs I gained from the binge. This has basically been my story for the past year
I NEED to deal with the yeast issues NOW. I know this is what I need to do to get to GOAL!! I have been SO close for awhile now but have never gotten there. I also notice that after a binge I look about 5 months pregnant Right around my belly button I bloat out like crazy!!

Tooter, Fawn, Lisa......Do you ladies think I should start off with CO, Probiotics, Oil of oregano, ACV, lemon water? What combo, or all of the above?

I am desperate to rid myself of this.....I also have acne I am hoping is involved in this. I truly believe the yeast is holding me back.

TIA, Kathy
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
no lemons will cleanse the liver. limes taste good though!

Enjoy that sauna.....the heat will do you good in helping to detoxify
Gosh, I wish I had a Sauna!! I have heard that sweating (exercise and any other form of sweating) is very helpful with the detoxing/die off.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy76 View Post
I have known for a long time that I have had yeast issues But until recently I never connected yeast with the out of control CRAVINGS that I get I will be going along just fine eating on plan, exercising feeling like "nothing can stop me now"........Then BAM out of nowhere I start craving sugar
I want to stay on plan so.....I end up looking around for "LEGAL" things that I can put in my mouth to try and satisfy my urges. I end up eating TOO many nuts or peanut butter usually (because I do not eat these daily, they are more like a treat to me) I over eat these items but they never really STOP the cravings. I will then end up going to bed, waking up in the morning up about 2 1/2 lbs And then work my but off trying to remove those lbs I gained from the binge. This has basically been my story for the past year
I NEED to deal with the yeast issues NOW. I know this is what I need to do to get to GOAL!! I have been SO close for awhile now but have never gotten there. I also notice that after a binge I look about 5 months pregnant Right around my belly button I bloat out like crazy!!

Tooter, Fawn, Lisa......Do you ladies think I should start off with CO, Probiotics, Oil of oregano, ACV, lemon water? What combo, or all of the above?

I am desperate to rid myself of this.....I also have acne I am hoping is involved in this. I truly believe the yeast is holding me back.

TIA, Kathy

Coconut oil would be a great start.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #112

Kathy76, sometimes a Mini fast can really help, when you have gone off plan and are having awful cravings. It's the yeast screaming that they want fed.

I'm not talking about a fast for days or anything. Actually, you could just fast a meal or 2 (doesn't even have to be an entire day). Then start eating with strict low carb. Nothing to feed the yeast.

This seems to get things under control, pretty fast (at least for me).
Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemo View Post
here is something i've found:

Steroids bind with candida, suppressing the immune response, thereby increasing colonization and promoting the spread of candida to cells which are penetrated in search of nutrients.

from this site: Candida Yeast Protection Program - Part 1 Understand and solve your yeast problem naturally

i have to go on and off steroids due to lupus and it always takes me a while to detox from the ordeal.

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.
I wish my Dr would have told me to treat for yeast while taking the meds. She didn't, she only mentioned that this would most likely happen. I just thought it would go a way on its own. I had no idea that I had to watch what I ate at the time or that it would build up to toxic levels in my body. She did ask often if carbs were making me feel worse, but offered no solution.

Could you please explain what it is that you do and do not do while taking your meds.

Thanks, Kristin
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Coconut oil would be a great start.
I agree start slowly. Start with co for a few days and see how it goes than start adding 2-3 tbls of acv to your water. As for the other supps for candida it is very much YMMV. Add slowly and give it at least a week or two and note how you feel. Often you will feel worse and then begin to start feeling better.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
Thanks, Lisa & Tooter for the advice
Since I will be going to the natural grocery to get the CO, I will go ahead and pick up the ACV while I am there.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
let me add some TMI, but another symptom not talked about much is an itchy anus.

Both with candida symptoms and die off....

In ANY case.. candida is a very high probability for everyone, including our children and pets.

Coconut oil and probiotics should be a staple in every home, and ACV as well (kids won't like it so much, dogs will take a bit in some wet food, or maybe a bit diluted in their water). ACV is also great for a rinse for both us and our pets after a shampoo...

I also think that endometriosis is related to candida.. as well as painful menstrual cramps if you have not been diagnosed with endio.

I am glad this came up because I needed to get it back in my life as well, so thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #117

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy76 View Post

TIA, Kathy
You're probably right! It's feeding off that peanut butter too....cut those little suckers off.

I recommend both Coconut Oil and pro-biotics to begin with. You need to not only irradicate the yeast but as well, build your flora so your body can assist you in fighting this.
As others have suggested, super 8 or my personal favorie Ohira's.

Tooter, if you can get to a steam room, that will serve you well.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
I know it was mentioned further up but not sure if we agreed what sort of dosage of probiotics to take. I always thought it was 2 before bed...
Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #119

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
let me add some TMI, but another symptom not talked about much is an itchy anus.

!
Good point prozak. I must confess, this was one of my first symptoms of yeast. TMI but want you to know you're all normal! (those with "the itch you know where")
Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #120

Quote:

In ANY case.. candida is a very high probability for everyone, including our children and pets.

Coconut oil and probiotics should be a staple in every home, and ACV as well (kids won't like it so much, dogs will take a bit in some wet food, or maybe a bit diluted in their water). ACV is also great for a rinse for both us and our pets after a shampoo...

I also think that endometriosis is related to candida.. as well as painful menstrual cramps if you have not been diagnosed with endio.

I am glad this came up because I needed to get it back in my life as well, so thanks!
Very true.

Prozak, another thought here... I wonder...If the people who do VERY low carb (like in the 0 carb thread) have more of an issue with Candida then others? They feel better and lose better when they are very stict with their carbs.

One of those RANDOM thoughts I have.

I know, in that thread, they have gotten some flack from people saying they should go up the carb ladder etc... But I have been there and done that in maintenance and it Didn't work for me (going up the ladder).

I also did not feel as well as I do when my carbs are lower. It's like I slowly started going backwards. It didn't happen over night and when I realized what was happening, I went back to being strict, because I "felt" better that way.

Any thoughts?
Closed Thread