Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #1111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tfaith7
WOE: no grain, pure foods -- healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewMe2004 View Post
Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I might get this fluid out of my ears/head? My right ear is now losing hearing. Can I apply coconut oil into the ears? Do you think some GSE would help? My nose and cough feel much better, but I still sound congested and the noise and fullness in my ears, in addition to the lack of hearing, is really frustrating me. I want to try something, anything.
Big 'hello' and forgive me for barging in here. I use to post on this site quite a bit, but quit checking in about a year or so ago when I started adding in other things: I started combining lc-ing with combating yeast and other issues that were caused by imbalances. I've come a long way health-wise since then, learned A LOT, and was so excited to find this forum where I can share and learn from other like-minded yeast-busting lc'ers! So again, big hello!

Brand New Me, you might have alleviated this problem already, but I wonder if you are seeing a chiropractor? The first time I went to one, I felt like I had a sinus infection and he adjusted me. The next morning, I won't even try to describe what started draining out of my nose & ears. Gah! I think it was years worth of junk. CO can help, so can adding drops of alcohol or ACV, but if you have a neck or spine imbalance, it will drastically interfere with drainage and make healing very hard for your body to accomplish.

Just a thought! And much healing to you ALL!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #1112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
Recently, I started oil pulling as a part of my yeast protocol. I just realized, I guess you would call it an aha moment, that the skin breakouts that I have had in the past are all on my left side...the same side where I have had a constant tooth abscess/infection and have had constant antibiotics over the years...considence...one never knows!

I was searching Curezone looking for information on oil pulling and came across a posting where someone actually looked at the oil after pulling under a microscope and obviously found active yeast.....Re: Pulled with Safflower... at Oil Pulling & Oil Swishing Support

Also, I have been adding oregano oil to my oil pulls but am currently using coconut oil. I plan on getting sesame oil this weekend...and possibly adding teatree oil to my regimen.

Anyone else doing oil pulling for yeast control....???

TJ
235/[COLOR=red]215[/COLOR]/135
Goals for this Month...1. Drink 96 ounces of water a day. 2. Exercise 3 days a week. 3. Eat at BMR at least 3 days week!

Last edited by skeeweeaka; 11-14-2008 at 11:39 PM..
Old 11-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #1113
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka View Post
Recently, I started oil pulling as a part of my yeast protocol. I just realized, I guess you would call it an aha moment, that the skin breakouts that I have had in the past are all on my left side...the same side where I have had a constant tooth abscess/infection and have had constant antibiotics over the years...considence...one never knows!

I was searching Curezone looking for information on oil pulling and came across a posting where someone actually looked at the oil after pulling under a microscope and obviously found active yeast.....Re: Pulled with Safflower... at Oil Pulling & Oil Swishing Support

Also, I have been adding oregano oil to my oil pulls but am currently using coconut oil. I plan on getting sesame oil this weekend...and possibly adding teatree oil to my regimen.

Anyone else doing oil pulling for yeast control....???

TJ
I Oil Pull. I love the results with Yeast control (in the mouth) and the whitening of my teeth (I am a coffee and tea drinker) and also to fight germs and infections.

Now, I don't spit the oil in the sink, I don't want a build of coconut oil in my pipes (we also have a septic tank) Anyways, when I first started doing it, I would spit into an old coffee can (I now do it in the trash) and I saved the can and put it under my sink in the bathroom.

OMG!!!!! You would NOT believe the crap that started growing in there. It was like a major Science project. Scared the crap out of me. YES, it does work.

I now spit into the trash and it gets emptied out every day. No more science projects, but I'll never forgot that coffee can, the stuff that was growing and the SMELL.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #1114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
I Oil Pull. I love the results with Yeast control (in the mouth) and the whitening of my teeth (I am a coffee and tea drinker) and also to fight germs and infections.

Now, I don't spit the oil in the sink, I don't want a build of coconut oil in my pipes (we also have a septic tank) Anyways, when I first started doing it, I would spit into an old coffee can (I now do it in the trash) and I saved the can and put it under my sink in the bathroom.

OMG!!!!! You would NOT believe the crap that started growing in there. It was like a major Science project. Scared the crap out of me. YES, it does work.

I now spit into the trash and it gets emptied out every day. No more science projects, but I'll never forgot that coffee can, the stuff that was growing and the SMELL.

Yes I've just restarted it... It was interesting reading the curezone threads and other threads on how it has really helped people... I don't spit it in the sink either...I use the toilet! I cannot imagine what the stuff under your sink looked like OMG!

I was supposed to get some sesame oil this weekend but didn't so I will get it this week... Doctor wants to pull a loose tooth but I am trying to save it... We'll see how it goes...

Good luck to you!

TJ
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RachelleS
I'm pretty sure I am full of yeast and I started taking Candex and InstiNew -
The first night, I took two Candex and a scoop of IntestiNew 3 hours after eating. At 11:30 pm I was so sick with stomach cramps, burping, and hot flashes - it was AWFUL. I threw up once and then had acid so bad - I ended up sleeping zero hours that night. I didn't take anything the next day - I was too scared too. I felt twinges in my stomach the next morning and called. That afternoon my friend emailed me - we had went to lunch Tuesday and she said she went home and had awful stomach cramps, acid and felt awful - so then I thought maybe we ate something wrong (even though we didn't eat the same thing). SO the following morning I took one Candex instead of two (no IntestiNew) - right before I left for work, the stomach cramps started. By the time I got to work, I was in the bathroom with diarrhea and the hot flashes where I thought I was going to pass out. Just when I was trying to figure out how to get myself home, it started to go away - so it lasted about an hour thank goodness instead of 10 hours the first time.

So, I'm thinking either my body is so full of yeast it is having a hard time getting rid of it OR I have zero yeast and it's trying to fight off something that isn't there. There is no way I can take this Candex though - it's awful. So if I do have yeast, I need to figure out a way to gently get it out of my system.

I have to go back and ready all the posts but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them when trying to get rid of the yeast (stomach cramps that make you want to die, etc.)?

This is the website I found after a internet friend recommended Holy Tea and then the Candex and InstiNew. I have been taking Holy Tea for about 3 months.

How to Flatten Your Tummy and End Food Cravings EFFORTLESSLY

Rachelle

Last edited by RachelleS; 11-16-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #1116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS View Post
I'm pretty sure I am full of yeast and I started taking Candex and InstiNew -
The first night, I took two Candex and a scoop of IntestiNew 3 hours after eating. At 11:30 pm I was so sick with stomach cramps, burping, and hot flashes - it was AWFUL. I threw up once and then had acid so bad - I ended up sleeping zero hours that night. I didn't take anything the next day - I was too scared too. I felt twinges in my stomach the next morning and called. That afternoon my friend emailed me - we had went to lunch Tuesday and she said she went home and had awful stomach cramps, acid and felt awful - so then I thought maybe we ate something wrong (even though we didn't eat the same thing). SO the following morning I took one Candex instead of two (no IntestiNew) - right before I left for work, the stomach cramps started. By the time I got to work, I was in the bathroom with diarrhea and the hot flashes where I thought I was going to pass out. Just when I was trying to figure out how to get myself home, it started to go away - so it lasted about an hour thank goodness instead of 10 hours the first time.

So, I'm thinking either my body is so full of yeast it is having a hard time getting rid of it OR I have zero yeast and it's trying to fight off something that isn't there. There is no way I can take this Candex though - it's awful. So if I do have yeast, I need to figure out a way to gently get it out of my system.

I have to go back and ready all the posts but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them when trying to get rid of the yeast (stomach cramps that make you want to die, etc.)?

This is the website I found after a internet friend recommended Holy Tea and then the Candex and InstiNew. I have been taking Holy Tea for about 3 months.

How to Flatten Your Tummy and End Food Cravings EFFORTLESSLY

Rachelle
Wow sorry you had those side effects. I'm not sure if it is the meds or the yeast...that sounds really awful, however!

I know that my rash is better with the oregano oil and acv.... I'm hoping I can keep it at bay with the oil pulling and the supplement combination!

TJ
Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #1117
Junior LCF Member

I did oil pulling for a few months and didn't notice any difference. I was doing it mostly to whiten my teeth as whiteners on the market made my teeth too sensitive so I can't use them. I have a orange crust on the back of my tongue - sometimes the whole tongue. When I went to show my nurse practioner a few months ago, it was gone that day - figures. I wish now I would have been keeping track to see what I was doing then that would have made it disappear.

I have also tried Bragg's apple cider vinegar but didn't notice a difference either but does Bragg's have the mother in it?

I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago going low glycemic and watching my carbs but then started gaining it back on the same eating plan. I am back to where I started plus a couple of extra pounds.

I have had white bumps in the corner of my lips (on the outside) for years and no one can figure out what they are - I'm thinking it's yeast even if it's not a common symptom. I never have "common" symptoms.

I do have a call into my nurse practioner who is also into natural medicine and was taking Holy Tea herself to see if she could recommend it to her patients (another patient of hers had recommended it to her) when I mentioned my internet friend recommending this stuff to me to see what she thinks. I'm hoping there is another way that isn't going to be so painful . . . but if I'm so full of yeast that the oil pulling and the acv didn't help and the Candex and IntestiNew about killed me . . . that is scary!!!!

Thank you for your post TJ. I'll be interested in hearing how the oil pulling works for you. What oil are you using? I used sunflower.

Rachelle
Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #1118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Anyone else having severe cramping/bloating? I had a whole week of it last week. For month or so before I was doing ACV, aloe juice, Yeast Fend, CO, with some light problems, not this severe. I would have been more worried, enough to call in to doctor (which I don't do lightly) except friend of mine had same things, and he definitely was not doing a cleanse of any kind. I think it was just 'something going around' and I was vulnerable. OK now. Back into pants that fit. Was hungry and could eat, but the pains/cramps were rough. I think this is what they used to call 'the grips.'
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #1119
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS View Post
I did oil pulling for a few months and didn't notice any difference. I was doing it mostly to whiten my teeth as whiteners on the market made my teeth too sensitive so I can't use them. I have a orange crust on the back of my tongue - sometimes the whole tongue. When I went to show my nurse practioner a few months ago, it was gone that day - figures. I wish now I would have been keeping track to see what I was doing then that would have made it disappear.

I have also tried Bragg's apple cider vinegar but didn't notice a difference either but does Bragg's have the mother in it?

I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago going low glycemic and watching my carbs but then started gaining it back on the same eating plan. I am back to where I started plus a couple of extra pounds.

I have had white bumps in the corner of my lips (on the outside) for years and no one can figure out what they are - I'm thinking it's yeast even if it's not a common symptom. I never have "common" symptoms.

I do have a call into my nurse practioner who is also into natural medicine and was taking Holy Tea herself to see if she could recommend it to her patients (another patient of hers had recommended it to her) when I mentioned my internet friend recommending this stuff to me to see what she thinks. I'm hoping there is another way that isn't going to be so painful . . . but if I'm so full of yeast that the oil pulling and the acv didn't help and the Candex and IntestiNew about killed me . . . that is scary!!!!

Thank you for your post TJ. I'll be interested in hearing how the oil pulling works for you. What oil are you using? I used sunflower.

Rachelle
I'm currently using coconut oil, but planning on getting sesame oil this week. I read on the curezone thread or perhaps another, not sure, that sesame oil is the best for it, but who knows!

[COLOR=blue]VEDIC EXCELLENCE:[/COLOR] Sesame Seed Oil has been used as healing oil for thousands of years. Sesame oil is mentioned in the Vedas as excellent for humans.It is naturally antibacterial for common skin pathogens, such as staphylococcus and streptococcus as well as common skin fungi, such as athlete's foot [COLOR=green][COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]fungus[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. It is naturally antiviral. It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
[COLOR=blue]RELIEF FROM DANDRUFF:[/COLOR] Used after exposure to wind or sun it will calm the burns. It nourishes and feeds the scalp to control dry scalp dandruff and to kill dandruff causing bacteria. It protects the skin from the effects of chlorine in swimming pool water. Used before and after [COLOR=green][COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]radiation [/COLOR][COLOR=green! important]treatments[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], sesame seed oil helps neutralize the flood of oxygen radicals, which such treatment inevitably causes.

[COLOR=blue]MEDICINAL USES:[/COLOR] Used after exposure to wind or sun it will calm the burns. It nourishes and feeds the scalp to control dry scalp dandruff and to kill dandruff causing bacteria. It protects the skin from the effects of chlorine in swimming pool water. Used before and after radiation treatments, sesame seed oil helps neutralize the flood of oxygen radicals, which such treatment inevitably causes.In recent experiments in Holland by Ayurvedic physicians, the oil has been used in the treatment of several chronic disease processes, including hepatitis, diabetes and [COLOR=green][COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]migraines[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

In vitro, sesame seed oil has inhibited the growth of malignant melanoma (a skin cancer): PROSTAGLANDIN LEUKATRINES and ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS 46: 145-150, 1992. Also in vitro, sesame seed oil has inhibited replication of human [COLOR=green][COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]colon [/COLOR][COLOR=green! important]cancer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] cells

[COLOR=blue]EFFECTS OF OIL BATH:[/COLOR]
ON THE SKIN: oil soluble toxins are attracted to sesame seed oil molecules, which can then be washed away with hot water and a mild soap. Internally, the oil molecules attract oil soluble toxins and carry them into the blood stream and then out of the body as waste.

[COLOR=blue]VAGINAL YEAST INFECTIONS:[/COLOR] Used as a ****** mixed with warm water, the oil controls vaginal yeast infections.

Sesame seed oil absorbs quickly and penetrates through the tissues to the very marrow of the bone. It enters into the blood stream through the capillaries and circulates. The liver does not sweep sesame seed oil molecules from the blood, accepting those molecules as friendly.

Sesame seed oil helps joints keep their flexibility. It keeps the skin supple and soft. It heals and protects areas of mild scrapes, cuts and abrasions. It helps tighten facial skin, particularly around the nose, controlling the usual enlargement of pores as skin ages chronologically. It can also be used for massaging babies.

[COLOR=blue]AS AN ANTIOXIDANT:[/COLOR] Research shows that sesame seed oil is a potent antioxidant. In the tissues beneath the skin, this oil will neutralize oxygen radicals. It penetrates into the skin quickly and enters the blood stream through the capillaries. Molecules of sesame seed oil maintain good cholesterol (HDL) and lower bad cholesterol (LDL).
Sesame seed oil is a cell growth regulator and slows down cell growth and replication.
In both the small intestine and the colon, some cells are nourished by fat instead of sugar. The presence of sesame seed oil can provide those cells with essential nourishment.

TJ
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #1120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Quote:
I have had white bumps in the corner of my lips (on the outside) for years and no one can figure out what they are - I'm thinking it's yeast even if it's not a common symptom.
I have these too, not to worry (click link below)

DOCFILES: Fordyce Spots on Lips
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #1121
Junior LCF Member

Oh my gosh Kris! Thank you so much. I searched the internet and never found anything. I'm going to pass this on to my nurse practioner as she didn't know what they were or what caused them!!!!

Thanks again! Rachelle
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #1122

Gallery: fawn
For those of you working on healing your adrenals as well, Maca Root is a nice addition. I'll have to research though the safety of the addition of Maca during a cleanse. I'll be back! I don't know if I've mentioned this tooter but I've pulled with pro-biotics as well as CO for a toothache and the ache is gone.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Started a "gentle" candida cleanse over the weekend...dropped all dairy except the cream in my coffee and added GSE (2-3 capsules/day) and CO (1-2 T/day). Wow. Just that little bit has really started something! Scaly/itchy scalp, VERY itchy ears (inside), itchy hands & feet, itchy "other" parts , "gurgling" abdomen, mild diarrhea. Amazing. But at least it's working!

I took OoO off and on for ages and NEVER had this much happen! Guess the GSE is what I needed to get things going.

Thanks SO much for all the info and advice on this thread!!! Will keep reading and watching...

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #1124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I dropped canola oil a few weeks ago and replaced it with peanut oil thinking that I was making a healthier choice. So far I really like cooking with peanut oil, but today I started thinking....

Are we allowed to have peanut oil when trying to fight the yeast? I thought I saw somewhere that peanuts were out. Does that mean that peanut oil is also out?

If so, what can I replace it with?
I dont like cooking with coconut oil. The taste really grosses me out now. I think I've hit my CO limit! I also dont like to cook with olive oil. I prefer it cold and drizzled on my salads. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #1125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
Started a "gentle" candida cleanse over the weekend...dropped all dairy except the cream in my coffee and added GSE (2-3 capsules/day) and CO (1-2 T/day). Wow. Just that little bit has really started something! Scaly/itchy scalp, VERY itchy ears (inside), itchy hands & feet, itchy "other" parts , "gurgling" abdomen, mild diarrhea. Amazing. But at least it's working!

I took OoO off and on for ages and NEVER had this much happen! Guess the GSE is what I needed to get things going.

Thanks SO much for all the info and advice on this thread!!! Will keep reading and watching...
I use the oregano oil with acv twice a day and it got rid of the rash on my stomach.... The itching, however, starts again with sugar. If I can just keep it at bay with what I am doing I will be happy...

TJ
Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #1126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: duece49424
Stats: 230 start 3/16/10..lifetime goal 150
WOE: low carb/healthylifestyle - struggling with binges
Hi TJ - I thought was you were saying about sesame oil was very interesting. So, do you think we can use that instead of coconut oil? I have tried using co and get diarrhea from it....I was wondering if the sesame oil would help with my yeast? I have gone to a dr. that told me I had yeast, but also told me to not use any coconut, so I was starting to think deeper about it, and why I am feeling so confused. What do you think?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #1127
Senior LCF Member

Hi TJ - I thought what you were saying about sesame oil was very interesting. So, do you think we can use that instead of coconut oil? I have tried using co and get diarrhea from it....I was wondering if the sesame oil would help with my yeast? I have gone to a dr. that told me I had yeast, but also told me to not use any coconut, so I was starting to think deeper about it, and why I am feeling so confused. What do you think?

[size="1"]4/2008 Start Weight - 223: Goal - 150
Current - 213 11/14
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #1128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece49424 View Post
Hi TJ - I thought was you were saying about sesame oil was very interesting. So, do you think we can use that instead of coconut oil? I have tried using co and get diarrhea from it....I was wondering if the sesame oil would help with my yeast? I have gone to a dr. that told me I had yeast, but also told me to not use any coconut, so I was starting to think deeper about it, and why I am feeling so confused. What do you think?

Well I'm no expert but I did a lot of reading on curezone and the people on there, for the most part, use sesame oil and recommend it for it's healing properties...which is why I posted my findings on sesame oil. Most of the people who had a great deal of success with yeast and other disorders used sesame.

If coconut oil doen't work for you then try the sesame and see how you like it... I think it may be cheaper than coconut oil which is another reason I am switching. I use my coconut oil to cook with so I am also looking for a less expensive alternative. I think the taste may be a little stronger, however, but that is subjective as well...depends upon your taste buds.

TJ
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #1129
Nik
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nik
Stats: (299) 295/287/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/25/07; 1/4/09; 8/28/12
Did we talk about neti pots a few pages ago, or am I making that up? We bought one on Saturday. I've used it twice; DS three times. DS no longer sounds like he has a constant cold-there's a lot that comes out. We've also noticed it seems to clear out our ears. Neti pots: good for fighting yeast?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #1130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
don't know if neti-pots are good for getting rid of yeast, but certainly do clean out the sinuses (and, I would think, that there would be a yeastie beastie or 2 in all of that gunk).

Finally getting back on track and starting to feel a little better. Think the key for me is the ACV -- at least it works as an appetite suppressant for me. And, I sure need that.

Sheryl
Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #1131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
don't know if neti-pots are good for getting rid of yeast, but certainly do clean out the sinuses (and, I would think, that there would be a yeastie beastie or 2 in all of that gunk).

Finally getting back on track and starting to feel a little better. Think the key for me is the ACV -- at least it works as an appetite suppressant for me. And, I sure need that.

Sheryl
The ACV and Oregano oil combination seems to be helping me as well... The neti-pot might help get rid of some of the yeast...I'm not sure though!

TJ
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #1132

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Yeast can add to the sinus infection roller coaster. The cause of this is the mucous that the yeast cells create. If these yeast cells aren't kept under control they can actually spread throughout the body, and to the sinuses. The mucous caused by their presence can create irritation and therefore a sinus infection, and will result in sinus drainage, and then the throat irritation, and then a cough in some. Top that off with allergies, airborne irritants, and even your carpet which can harbor all kinds of nasty beasties can make for sinus problems.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #1133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Yeast can add to the sinus infection roller coaster. The cause of this is the mucous that the yeast cells create. If these yeast cells aren't kept under control they can actually spread throughout the body, and to the sinuses. The mucous caused by their presence can create irritation and therefore a sinus infection, and will result in sinus drainage, and then the throat irritation, and then a cough in some. Top that off with allergies, airborne irritants, and even your carpet which can harbor all kinds of nasty beasties can make for sinus problems.
Hmm...sounds really gross...yeast is everywhere... It is a nasty beast for sure!

TJ
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #1134

There's a Fungus, Among us!! *sneaking out of the thread before I get hit*
Old 11-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #1135

Here's something interesting that I read from Doug Kaufmann's site. I had to go back and read it again.

Articles fro Doug Kaufmann and others about the fungal Link

..In September 1999, Johns Hopkins medical researchers confirmed that virtually all chronic sinus infections were due to fungus. Not all findiings are that solid. As a matter of fact, few are. Rather, scientists seem confused and startled at their own discoveries with regard to fungus. Fungus makes poisonous byproducts called mycotoxins. Antibiotics are one class of mycotoxins. Without this knowledge, however, many questions are raised when researchers stumble onto this seemingly elementary fact. Recently, researchers have discovered that antibiotics are contributing to everything from 2nd heart attacks to breast cancer. It is our hope that someday when discoveries like these are made, logic will supercede confusion.

--------------------------------------------

So, I then went and did a search for the actual article.

Here it is:

Johns Hopkins Gazette | September 18, 2006

Bacteria Get Off Easy in Sinus Infections, JHU Study Finds

By David March
Johns Hopkins Medicine

Researchers at Johns Hopkins have evidence that curbed activity from several key chemicals on the inner lining of the nose are linked to chronic sinusitis that fails to respond to the usual current treatments.

An estimated 32 million Americans know the misery of persistent inflammation of the moist tissue that lines the nose and sinus cavities. The result, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is clogged passages and recurring infections.

Because nearly one in 10 of those treated see symptoms return within weeks or months after drugs or surgery fails to keep the sinus passages open, scientists have long suspected that these resistant cases had some underlying problem with the immune system contributing to the ailment.

In a study to be described on Sept. 19 at the annual scientific sessions of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, the Johns Hopkins team found that in chronic sufferers who failed to respond to treatment, the activity of at least four genes in the body's nasal immune defense system were severely decreased, and their production of two proteins critical to this defense was 20 to 200 times less than normal.

Comparing nasal epithelial cell samples from nine patients who benefited from surgery with nine who did not, the Johns Hopkins team discovered suppressed levels of human beta defensin 2 and mannose binding lectin in those whose symptoms returned. The proteins are naturally produced in the nose whenever the immune system detects foreign bacteria or fungi, binding to invading pathogens, inactivating them and making them easily disposed of.

An earlier study published by the same team in the March-April issue of the American Journal of Rhinology also showed that sinus tissue from people with chronic sinusitis that resisted treatment had 30 times lower than normal activity of a so-called toll-like receptor gene, TLR9.

Inside the nose, researchers say, toll-like receptor proteins detect invading bacteria and other pathogens in the air by attaching to their trace by-products. Once a threat is identified, the receptors stimulate the epithelial cells to produce antibiotic proteins, such as human beta defensin 2 and mannose binding lectin, to fight the invading organisms. This innate response helps prevent airborne bacteria or fungi from settling in the nose and sinus cavities, causing infection.

"Colonization with microorganisms is a common problem in patients with chronic sinusitis and polyps, but the reasons for this are incompletely understood," said Andrew Lane, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and director of its rhinology and sinus surgery center. "Now we are uncovering new clues as to what might be wrong and perhaps, ultimately, how it might be treated.

"The nose's first line of defense is the epithelium, and when the local innate immune function is curtailed, infections can get a head start, which might serve to worsen the sinus inflammation," he said. "The potential is there to manipulate these chemical receptors and proteins to see if this makes patients more responsive to conventional therapy."

The study, led by Lane, was believed to be the first to determine levels of each toll-like receptor protein — there are 10 — by directly measuring messenger RNA expression in patients with and without sinusitis patients. Scientists have known for more than a year that toll-like receptor proteins were present in both the healthy and sinusitis-wracked nose but not which receptors or proteins were more important than others in the condition's chronic form.

That study involved 30 men and women, mostly from the Baltimore region, who had surgery for chronic sinusitis at Johns Hopkins. (Another 10 had no sinus problem and served as study controls.)

Those who underwent surgery did so after standard therapy using antibiotics, decongestants and steroids had failed to stop their symptoms and keep their infections from coming back. Indeed, 20 participants in the study had developed nasal polyps, which have no known cause and are especially hard to treat, researchers say. Polyps must often be surgically removed to allow the sinuses to drain normally.

All patients were monitored for a minimum of six months to see if any symptoms or polyps returned. Thirteen in the surgery group had recurrent inflammation within three months to one year after surgery, while the rest remained symptom-free.

The Johns Hopkins team took samples during surgery of the mucous membrane lining the nose, and using real-time polymerase chain reaction, analyzed the samples for any genetic differences between the groups.

"Surgically treating sinusitis is much like plumbing, in the sense that we try to restore normal sinus cavity drainage pathways," said study presenter Murugappan Ramanathan Jr., a resident in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Johns Hopkins. "But for the intractable cases, surgery may fail because the problem is not so much about plumbing as it is inflammation, and for this we need research at the molecular level to find a solution."

Funding for this study was provided in part by the National Institutes of Health, including the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, with additional funding from the American Rhinologic Society.

In addition to Lane and Ramanathan, researchers involved in this research, conducted solely at Johns Hopkins, were Quynh Ai Truong-Tran and Robert Schleimer.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #1136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
There's a Fungus, Among us!! *sneaking out of the thread before I get hit*
What somebodys got shrooms? Yum!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #1137

Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #1138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
What somebodys got shrooms? Yum!!!

Not funny when you are battling it though... My stomach is black on the left side from the constant rashes... I think I need to see specialist!

TJ
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka View Post

Not funny when you are battling it though... My stomach is black on the left side from the constant rashes... I think I need to see specialist!

TJ
Definitely when something on your body turns black-see a doc!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #1140
Senior LCF Member

TJ - black on your stomach? That doesn't sound good at all. Remember I was telling you about how I was trying the co and trying to tweak what dose would work for me, otherwise I get rhia...., so I will buy the sesame oil tomorrow. Now, today I made an egg cream with lite coconut milk and had rhia....maybe my body cannot tolerate coconut. I have had many egg creams (not with coco. milk) and they have not bothered me. So, to fight this yeast, I think that co may be out for me. I even tried backing down to 1/4 t 3 x day, but, think I'll have to give it up.....All I can think of how I loved pina colada's and they never bothered me>>>>>what's up with that!
Closed Thread