Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #481
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
If I start "Brushing" my skin and Thumping my Thymus...My husband really is going to send for those men in the white coats!!

That just struck me as funny. I'm sure there is something to it...But that's the visual I had in my head.

Ok, Energy SURGE!! I'm going to try and get a bunch of things done around the house while it lasts.

Have a Great Day, ALL!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #482
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Have you ever had your thyroid levels properly tested? I would check out the sticky on this in the health forum-a lot of your symptoms sounds like hypothrroidism. The thing with your belly button sounds like a good old yeast infection-happens in skin folds sometimes. I use my Claritin toner and let it get lots of air when this happens to me.

Thanks so much for your reply...... I DID have my levels checked a few years ago and everything came back fine - and I do lose weight fine, so I dunno if that could be it - I'll check with my Dr though...
Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #483

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by losin4good1980 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply...... I DID have my levels checked a few years ago and everything came back fine - and I do lose weight fine, so I dunno if that could be it - I'll check with my Dr though...
Thanks again!
You should have it checked every year on your regular physical or checkup. Have them check free T3 and T4 as well as the TSH. You can be within normal test ranges, usually the TSH is all PCPs check but still have hypothyroidism-physical symptoms count too. I was in perfectly normal test ranges but nodules were found on my thyroid and with further testing at an endocrinologist found I did indeed have hypothyroidism. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by emslight View Post
hot flushes/sweat pouring off my forehead and under my arms (I am not usually a sweaty person either)
or if not the sweats then the shivers
wind (ahem)
extreme hunger. this has passed now but i suddenly felt hungry only an hour after eating a decent sized lunch. lots of fluids have helped but this was a bit weird.
passing out on the sofa in like the deepest midday sleep ever. i felt like i'd been drugged.
really dry throat like i can't quench my thirst

i can't wait to come out the other side of this!

When I first started induction about a month and a half ago, I was sweating so bad, I thought I was going through menopause. The sweat just ran down my face. I was in the mall shopping with my daughters, when the sweating started. I actually had to run out of the mall and get home. I felt so sick for days. I even went to the ER!!!! LOL!!! I never put LC and my reaction together. I really thought something was seriously wrong with me. The Dr's thought I was heading for another lupus crisis, or even mast cell. I was sooo sick.

I guess I had a lot of yeast. Within about 2 weeks, the sweating went away. Just stopped. I thought, hmmm what the hell is going on, am I in menopause or not.

Wow, the Dr's wanted to admit me to the hospital and everything. LOL!!! I should tell them the next time I see them that it was yeast die off. LOL!!! I bet they never saw someone so sick with yeast!!!

260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234
[COLOR="Red"]233[/COLOR] 232 231 230

Last edited by kristin4; 09-23-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #485

Have any of you had allergy testing done? As sensitive as you are to die-off I'm wondering if a few of you have mold allergies. I think anyone with health issues should have one-you'd be surprised at what you find out.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #486

Fawn are you still lurking in this thread??? I have a question for you (YES, my mind is wondering again).

Ok, here goes.

When I first lost all my weight I was pretty strict. I actually only used good oils and on my salads I used ACV/Olive oil. I didn't use mayo either.

I had no cellulite. None. Looked great.

Then as I went on in my Journey...I decided to add the Gazebo room dressing back in and the Mayo. I figured I used good fat every where else...It couldn't hurt me.

Um....I started getting cellulite!!!!!!! What was going on?

Well, after stopping all SOY OIL and reading what Bee Wilder had to say about it.... I looked in the mirror and....

I have a lot less cellulite!! OMG, I truly believe it was from JUNK fat!!!

Thoughts? Comments?

I'll keep you posted as I go farther in this part of my journey.

Last edited by Tooter; 09-23-2008 at 02:13 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Margot 65
Quote:
Have any of you had allergy testing done? As sensitive as you are to die-off I'm wondering if a few of you have mold allergies. I think anyone with health issues should have one-you'd be surprised at what you find out.
From what I gather so far, the issues are not allergies... and that sensitivity to mold is a sign of candida overgrowth AND die off.

"During the first couple of weeks on the candida diet most people will go through a type of withdrawal. Symptoms will include irritability, feeling edgy, craving sweets, grains, and other snacks, and a feeling like you are going crazy. Your cravings for sugar, salty foods and products containing grains or potatoes will also increase. If this happens you can try to grin and bear it and it will eventually pass, but it isn't easy to do. However there are things you can do to minimize your cravings. "

"[COLOR="Red"]Healing Reactions are Not Allergic Reactions[/COLOR]

An allergy is defined as: "A condition in which the body has an exaggerated response to a substance introduced by inhalation, ingestion, injection, or skin contact, often manifested by itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing, skin rash, hives, diarrhea, gas, bloating, headaches, aching muscles, joint pain, and many others. Please note that these reactions are exactly the same symptoms as healing reactions.

These reactions are created by the immune system, as a healing response, indicating that it is working very hard to eliminate and/or minimize the effects of toxic overloads on the body, or the ingestion of a poison. Candida overgrowth itself contributes over 79 different types of toxins, most of which are alcohol. "

How to Successfully Overcome Candida
Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
From what I gather so far, the issues are not allergies... and that sensitivity to mold is a sign of candida overgrowth AND die off.

"During the first couple of weeks on the candida diet most people will go through a type of withdrawal. Symptoms will include irritability, feeling edgy, craving sweets, grains, and other snacks, and a feeling like you are going crazy. Your cravings for sugar, salty foods and products containing grains or potatoes will also increase. If this happens you can try to grin and bear it and it will eventually pass, but it isn't easy to do. However there are things you can do to minimize your cravings. "

"[COLOR="Red"]Healing Reactions are Not Allergic Reactions[/COLOR]

An allergy is defined as: "A condition in which the body has an exaggerated response to a substance introduced by inhalation, ingestion, injection, or skin contact, often manifested by itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing, skin rash, hives, diarrhea, gas, bloating, headaches, aching muscles, joint pain, and many others. Please note that these reactions are exactly the same symptoms as healing reactions.

These reactions are created by the immune system, as a healing response, indicating that it is working very hard to eliminate and/or minimize the effects of toxic overloads on the body, or the ingestion of a poison. Candida overgrowth itself contributes over 79 different types of toxins, most of which are alcohol. "

I have an allergy to mold and to yeast-there is testing for this and it does make you more sensitive to yeast problems. It is not caused by a sensitivity to candida-they are allergies all on their own and yeast overgrowth or candida can be a symptom of them.

Last edited by lisabinil; 09-23-2008 at 03:04 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

IMO these are not allergies...

My research is showing me that it is the other way around... not an allergy to yeast or mold, but a reaction by our immune system as a healing response to the overgrowth (and in my case the die off) of the yeast, which is a mold/fungus.

Unless I am allergic to not having cream every day
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Many people mistakenly assume they are allergic to many healthy foods, herbs, spices, etc. because of allergy tests or body reactions, which doctors also label as allergic. Please note that almost all allergy tests are inaccurate and they should not be relied upon to determine your allergies. Some allergies are obvious, because they are caused by toxic substances, i.e. room deodorizers, smoke, chemicals - in the air, body care products, cleaning products, etc.), smog, chemtrails, pesticides, etc. "

Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #491
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
I have mast cell syndrome. Basically it means that my body sends out mast cells, which in turn put little flags on things that my mast cells believe are intruders. Once these flags are placed on the intruder, my immune system goes into overload and tries to kill it. This includes things like mold, smoke, different foods, additives, chemicals of all kinds, medications of all kinds (I can not take meds for bacteria, nor flu shots etc...).

Mast cell is like allergies gone crazy. The problem occurs when the mast cells mistakenly put their flags on the offending substance as well as the nearby cell, like my liver, lungs, kidneys ect... My immune system only looks at the flag and doesn't care what the cell is that it attacks and kills.

So, my immune system tries to kill the mold, but in turn attacks my skin. I then have infection of the skin and need antibiotics, but my mast cells have placed flags on the antibiotics from prior usage and immediately set of to kill it, which in turn makes me sicker. It is a vicious cycle. A living nightmare.

Anyway, with the yeast die off, I was really afraid of the affects to my immune system. I know it is too early to really make a connection, and my Drs would never agree with me, cause the have a doctorate degree, but... I am feeling better. My immune system was suppressed for 1 1/2 years with heavy duty steroids and other H2 and H3 blockers, but I always felt bad. When I say bad, I mean really really bad. I find now that my immune system is holding together pretty well. I hope this isn't a short term thing. I am hoping that curing the yeast will in turn help me control my out of control immune system.

I am or hopefully was the woman allergic to everything, even myself.

Last edited by kristin4; 09-23-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #492

Gallery: fawn
You bet I'm lurking! This is an awesome thread. You girls are working so hard to educate yourselves I'm so proud.

Thump that thymus it gets the immune system going. Just don't try to rub your head at the same time

Yes, chickie, vegetable oils make the cell wall floppy hence the cellulite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Fawn are you still lurking in this thread??? I have a question for you (YES, my mind is wondering again).

Ok, here goes.

When I first lost all my weight I was pretty strict. I actually only used good oils and on my salads I used ACV/Olive oil. I didn't use mayo either.

I had no cellulite. None. Looked great.

Then as I went on in my Journey...I decided to add the Gazebo room dressing back in and the Mayo. I figured I used good fat every where else...It couldn't hurt me.

Um....I started getting cellulite!!!!!!! What was going on?

Well, after stopping all SOY OIL and reading what Bee Wilder had to say about it.... I looked in the mirror and....

I have a lot less cellulite!! OMG, I truly believe it was from JUNK fat!!!

Thoughts? Comments?

I'll keep you posted as I go farther in this part of my journey.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Maybe Celine Dion has this issue? I seem to remember her smacking her chest a ton when she sings.

Oh, and I can't resist. This song has been going through my mind since this thread started. My mom and dad had an album of Tony & Dawn's.

OMG I love the people clapping along. *YAY FOR YEAST!!*

Note the subliminal messages..fresh and clean..sweeter..

Last edited by Kris T.; 09-23-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #494

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
lisab

I tend to agree with Prozak in that the yeast (or in Doug Kaufmann's words fungus) causes these problems. I think you have to do the research yourself to find these things out. The docs don't have all the answers--just solutions that include more money for them. I believe that they don't know what causes these things, even though they may spout out some mombo jumbo. I think that Doug's website--know the cause dot com--explains it better than me. I am also in the camp that doesn't believe that allergy testing is not worth it, as least for food. It has to do with the yeast creating holes in the small intestine creating permeability therefore all food can go through and create a false reading for any food. I have oversimplified this way too much so I hope you get the idea. If you can tell I don't like doctor's too much. There is thyroid trouble in my family and my mom had to beg, borrow and steal practically to get some relief. I would rather she use alternative meds but she is so far in now that she cannot.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #495

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I had to get off the computer for a sec--DH needed it. He wants to cancel his Rhapsody and cannot figure out how LOL. So if any of the above (my last post) isn't understandable let me know. Anyway, if any of you are following Bee's protocol are you taking the egg drink at any time during the day? I was following her yahoo groups for a while after my last pregnancy and am still a member. I looked at her recipes that Tooter had linked here and it brought memories back. I had her egg drink every morning. Didn't enjoy it as much as my egg cream, but wanted to know others opinions. Wasn't interested much in doing any of the fermented things either, just my yogurt. Not a sauerkraut person at all although my DH loves kimchi and we will sometimes have it in the house.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My egg cream is not exactly hers, and I have not looked into why she would want the whites cooked (do you know??)

The first thing I have now instead of my heavy cream with a splash of coffee (LOL) is I blend 1 organic egg with 1/3 cup coconut milk and then add 2TB of melted coconut oil to the blender.

Then I add that to my cup of coffee with my sweetener... (it is a humungous cup LOL)

Then an hour or so later I have my 'revamped' egg cream:

2-3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
8 frozen coffee cubes
2TBs coconut oil
1/2 cup cold coffee
sweetener
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #497
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
Quote:
Ooh, ooh, ooh... i just came across a brilliant thing in my local supermarket. It's a box containing 4 mini sachets of creamed coconut. Creamed coconut is kind of like a solid block of coconut meat with solid coconut oil at the end. The texture of the 'meat' is like fudge and it tastes like the most wicked treat, lovely and sweet and fatty.
sounds wonderful! I wonder if we have it here? What is the name? Maybe we can get it online.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #498
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
Quote:
This is the product. Do you get this brand in the US?
I don't know how I managed to skip over a bunch of posts, and I missed this!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Another thing to add to the die off list... insomnia!

It's nearly 3 in the morning and i'm wide awake. My little one woke me up (she is teething) but she has gone back to sleep. I on the other hand am awake so what else to do than to find you lot!

Read what folk had to say about allergies and I'm with Prozak on this one... what I'm experiencing is not an allergic reaction to food - I've actually had an allergy test done and all the things I was intolerant to (yeast, wheat, mushrooms, chocolate, wine, sesame seeds, oranges etc.) I've eliminated from my diet. From everything I am reading it is unquestionably die off. And for that I am celebrating, even if at times it is very, very hard work and everyday there seems to be something new to add to my list of symptoms. (oh yeah, now i have cracks on the side of my mouth.)

TXUKGAL - never got back to you on the brand of co i am using in the uk. I use nutiva and the guy from my local independent health food store (london) orders it in for me. It's about £10 a pot but i am sure there must be some good offers online. Also H&B does a range, also £10, which doesn't say organic but I have bought it and the look, smell and texture all suggest to me it's pretty damn near. This is my back-up product if I run out of the other one. However, the rate I am now going through it I must admit I am looking for a cheaper way to buy and need to look into whether bulk buying online is cheaper (it must be??) so do let me know if you come across anything.

Prozak - I tried bee's egg drink and found it OK but the butter as well as the co made it just a tiny bit too sickly for me. It was missing something so I added in some fresh ginger and lots of cinammon and even a bit of cardommen and it started to get a bit more kick. But, I must confess that I prefer to eat (rather than drink) my eggs and because i have lost my sweet tooth i want my meals to be savoury at the mo. So I am just scrambling eggs in lots of butter and co and making sure i don't overcook them.

I am going on holiday first thing Thurs morning. A week in Korea as my brother is marrying a Korean girl (on Sat.) This is my first holiday away with my husband (and no kids) since our little one was born in Jan. How do you reckon I should be tackling it re/ eating etc? I'd really appreciate all you knowledgable ladies' advice pls! I don't want to undo the good work of the last week (indeed, last few months) but equally this is a holiday and I want to enjoy myself. I am thinking, eating LC (this bit is easy - the food there is very much about meat, fish and veggies - they do a lot of food which is wrapped in lettuce leaves like beef so on the money! i just need to avoid sticky rice, that kind of thing. i am in a western hotel so eggs for breakfast will be fine). I am also going to take my co with me/buy it out there and just supplementing with spoonfuls as necessary. I am not going to kid myself that I won't have an alcohol drink whilst I am away but I am very controlled with my drinking and don't drink that much, so I am wondering... what would be the best to order? Any ideas.

Phew. Long post. And wide awake still... Morning all.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
My egg cream is not exactly hers, and I have not looked into why she would want the whites cooked (do you know??)
There's something in raw egg whites (avidin - it's destroyed by cooking) that blocks the absorption of biotin. I think the usual view is that if you eat the whole egg, there's so much biotin in the yolk that the effect is not important, but it's not recommended that you eat a lot of raw egg white without the yolk.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:04 AM   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
There's something in raw egg whites (avidin - it's destroyed by cooking) that blocks the absorption of biotin. I think the usual view is that if you eat the whole egg, there's so much biotin in the yolk that the effect is not important, but it's not recommended that you eat a lot of raw egg white without the yolk.
Thanks, Ailuros!

That makes total sense.

After reading the effects of Biotin and probiotics and how the "Good" bacteria in our gut helps make Biotin in our bodies (which we would be lacking with an over growth of yeast)...

I have been taking Biotin WITH my probiotics as of yesterday.

I also have been doing more Oil Pulling with Coconut oil to help get rid of toxins etc.

Well.... I can't prove there is a connection or not, but I woke up this morning with a Clear mind and no hang over. I was almost scared to post that (In fear that there would be a cosmic joke and I would be slammed with symptoms as soon as I posted this).

Those are the "changes" I made yesterday.

I feel GREAT this morning.

I have really been pushing the ACV and The Coconut oil.

If this keeps up (feeling good) Then I can move on and add another anti-fungle next week.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Great to hear you are feeling clear headed Tooter. I've also woken up feeling good and full of energy so maybe we are turning a corner..?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #503

Quote:
Great to hear you are feeling clear headed Tooter. I've also woken up feeling good and full of energy so maybe we are turning a corner..?
I hope so! So far, so good!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #504

To people who feel like you are really struggling with the "Die off"?

PLEASE, Hang in there. Yesterday was really bad for me. I kept having thoughts of just going back to how I ate before, because I wouldn't have any of the symptoms. I pushed through that...And today I feel FANTASTIC!!!

Just when you think you can't take anymore, you could be right at the door of feeling better. So, HANG IN THERE!!! You can do this!!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #505

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Well, I know I'm going to have to play start over here. A very good friend (with whom I've not shared my quest to rid myself of yeast) ordered a special dessert last night specifically as a treat for me.

As she usually doesn't do things like this and because I realllllly wanted all that yumminess, I caved big time.:blush:

Yeee. I guess I'll just keep treking on here, but I'm going to be really PO'd if I just have to start all over again with die off. Yesterday before this happened I was having all kinds of sinus problems, but mostly in flashes, which was pretty weird. So... guess I can only start over again and stay away from the sugar!!!

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post
Well, I know I'm going to have to play start over here. A very good friend (with whom I've not shared my quest to rid myself of yeast) ordered a special dessert last night specifically as a treat for me.

As she usually doesn't do things like this and because I realllllly wanted all that yumminess, I caved big time.:blush:

Yeee. I guess I'll just keep treking on here, but I'm going to be really PO'd if I just have to start all over again with die off. Yesterday before this happened I was having all kinds of sinus problems, but mostly in flashes, which was pretty weird. So... guess I can only start over again and stay away from the sugar!!!
It was just a poor choice. You owned it, now let it go and just move forward.

You don't need to go backwards. That would only happen if you kept making poor choices.

This is life and we are real people.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #507

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
It was just a poor choice. You owned it, now let it go and just move forward.

You don't need to go backwards. That would only happen if you kept making poor choices.

This is life and we are real people.

Thanks Tooter!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #508

How Accurate is the "Spit test"?

Candida Test

Spit Test

The candida spit test, promoted by others, is not a reliable test for candida overgrowth. One of the main reasons is because it only tests the saliva, when most candida is overgrowing in the intestines and other areas of the body.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Did you do the questionnaire in that article? I scored 52 or 9%, so for now, I'm carrying on assuming that yeasts aren't a major issue for me, but I'd be interested to see how the scores look for those of you who do have yeast problems.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #510

Quote:
Food Allergy Tests Are Questionable
Closed Thread