Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!
 
kathy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 2,805
Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I just bought me some ACV (Bragg) at my Kroger store in the Organic section. I was really suprised to find it there. They actually had 2 brands Bragg(4.19) and Spectrum(4.59) I just made myself some salad dressing ACV/oil/splenda/a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash garlic and Herb I really liked it! I like to use alot of dressing At least this one is good for me

I have been doing CO for about 5 days now and I have been using it on my face, I really think it is helping with my acne

Why is it that everyone in my life (my DH is on the fence about it he says some of it makes since) thinks :ya right...blah..blah...blah: when I try to describe what candida can do to your body?????? They really think I am crazy
kathy76 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #422
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy76 View Post
I just bought me some ACV (Bragg) at my Kroger store in the Organic section. I was really suprised to find it there. They actually had 2 brands Bragg(4.19) and Spectrum(4.59) I just made myself some salad dressing ACV/oil/splenda/a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash garlic and Herb I really liked it! I like to use alot of dressing At least this one is good for me

I have been doing CO for about 5 days now and I have been using it on my face, I really think it is helping with my acne

Why is it that everyone in my life (my DH is on the fence about it he says some of it makes since) thinks :ya right...blah..blah...blah: when I try to describe what candida can do to your body?????? They really think I am crazy
I know. I know.
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member
 
TXUKGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 433
Gallery: TXUKGal
Stats: (Highest 353) 297/245/175 (maybe 150)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by emslight View Post
Hi Ladies
Su - I was a major chocoholic myself and in my late teens, early 20s I could go through bars and bars of chocolate when I was bulimic. This would be THE binge food for me. Even when I got my bulimia under control it would be chocolate that would do it for me. But check this, I do low carb, I start to tackle the yeast, I take my co and now, I have no sweet tooth whatsoever. I have bought bars of 85% stuff and it just sits there now. I make myself coconut bark and I just don't fancy it. I think ooh maybe I'll have a piece or two but no, I just don't even like sweet things anymore. When I first joined this site I used to read people say this and I just couldn't believe it could one day be me but it is.
Hiya Ems.....I was wondering where you picked up your coconut oil? I saw some on ebay but haven't bought any yet.
TXUKGal is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,135
Gallery: Margot 65
Ugh, feeling really, really crappy right now.

My bones ache, my stomach is hurting and i have a headache from h*ll (not to mention the crabbiness)

All I took today was the CO and ACV...

I hope this does not last

ETA: I am so brain dead I posted this in the wrong thread even LOL

Last edited by Margot 65; 09-22-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Margot 65 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 743
Gallery: SLynnB
Well, not feeling as crappy as you, Prozak, but getting a headache (migrain type) and a little sinus pain when chewing gum. Gosh, getting rid of the yeast run amock is such fun.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #426
Big Yapper!!!!
 
NutinHonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 7,799
Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
wow, I'm only on page 7/9 and I started reading last night. you all are keeping me from some very important chores!

Sadly, I have NOTHING worthy to eat in this house, except coconut oil! I actually have about a half gallon of some VGS (very good stuff!). I had taken a break from it recently and this thread pointed me back in the right direction. :sigh:, just almond breeze, and one can of "LITE" coconut milk...LOTS of cheese, nuts...and the really evil stuff, like pasta. I have to wait until Friday to stock up on some beneficial foods, and the other goodies--ACV, probiotics and grapeFRUIT seed extract.

THANK YOU, Tooter, for starting this. It's a subject that had caught my eye a while back (somewhere here on LCF), but it just didn't "click". Now, I know.

OK, enough about me...I've got a question that has had me pondering. I think it was Fawn that mentioned that candida could lead to brain damage...(it was way back in the thread, I may have misread). Now, my MIL got me to thinking. She has multiple serious health problems, most disturbing is her memory and thought processes. At first it was mostly just short term problems, but the other day she asked if her mother was still living. Her mother passed away about 10 years ago!

Could these yeast problems, left untreated for years upon years lead to some of the brain degeneration that so many of our elderly experience? Is there any research into this? Or has any one even made the hypothesis?
NutinHonie is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #427
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Su11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Outside Perimeter Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutinHonie View Post


OK, enough about me...I've got a question that has had me pondering. I think it was Fawn that mentioned that candida could lead to brain damage...(it was way back in the thread, I may have misread). Now, my MIL got me to thinking. She has multiple serious health problems, most disturbing is her memory and thought processes. At first it was mostly just short term problems, but the other day she asked if her mother was still living. Her mother passed away about 10 years ago!

Could these yeast problems, left untreated for years upon years lead to some of the brain degeneration that so many of our elderly experience? Is there any research into this? Or has any one even made the hypothesis?

Has she been assessed for having an Alzheimer's type disorder? Some of the newer drugs can be very effective in slowing the progress of the disease. Also, just make sure she has enough B vitamins (no yeast of course) and is getting enough protein and water. These are some common problems with the elderly. You might also want to look into Fawn's digestive enzyme suggestions, since poor food digestion might also play a role.

That said, yes, I do think that a long term yeast problem can lead to many of these issues, at least indirectly. Poor nutrition, causing poor activity and health, would be a real trigger. Yeast, mimicking or causing gluten intolerance and other intolerances, leaky gut syndrome and all the rest woul lead eventually to permanent damage.

It would be a very good study.
__________________
Su
"A friendship that exacts oneness of opinion and conduct is not worth much." (Mohandas Gandhi)
"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers." (Socrates)

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #428
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak View Post
Ugh, feeling really, really crappy right now.

My bones ache, my stomach is hurting and i have a headache from h*ll (not to mention the crabbiness)

All I took today was the CO and ACV...

I hope this does not last

ETA: I am so brain dead I posted this in the wrong thread even LOL


Ok, I'm just going to ask you and everyone else.

Are you going through points of "die off" really tired feeling bad, and then burst of energy where you think you are past it....Then the die off feeling comes back?

I keep thinking...HEY, I think I am past this. I get a burst of energy etc... Then WHAM!!! Exhausted, brain fog...etc.
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #429
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,540
Gallery: losin4good1980
Tooter - I read your beginning post and I can't help but feel so sorry for everything you went through! I'm so happy you listened to yourself in the end and finally figured out what was wrong ~ I think our Dr's may have been separated from birth!

I was hoping to get a bit of advice. I've been taking the ACV in hopes to rid my body of excess fluid and for the extra energy it gives me, but now I'm wondering if maybe I'm a prime candidate for excess yeast?

Here are my symptoms that I've pulled from the list from the beginning page...
sore throat that will come and go within a day, I've had a stuffy nose for the past 4 years - not runny or anything - just kinda clogged, mood swings, I'm always either freezing or too hot - never a nice balance (My feet can be freezing sometimes even when it's hot as heck outside/inside!), I'm either constipated or have diarrhea - never normal BM's, recurrent yeast infections - although I haven't had one in more than a year - but speaking of which, I've had BV a few times too, very dry skin - the dermatologist told me when I was 16 that I had "crocodile skin" and that it'll go away on it's own some day (it looks like I have goose bumps 24/7), dandruff/dry scalp (but I think that's an extension of my crocodile skin (LOL), VERY low sex drive, and last but not least, the one that confuses the heck out of me - my belly button (innie) STINKS! And I wash it with a Qtip like all the time.. and I DO get the soap out...

*sigh*

Am I a mess or what...
do you think the ACV and CO would do wonders on me?

Thanks SO much for any help you can give..
losin4good1980 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Kris T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I've been everywhere, man
Posts: 3,105
Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Quote:
very dry skin - the dermatologist told me when I was 16 that I had "crocodile skin" and that it'll go away on it's own some day (it looks like I have goose bumps 24/7),
I have something like this, and I use a lotion called Lacticare. You need to ask for it behind the pharmacy counter. It seems to help.
Kris T. is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #431
Big Yapper!!!!
 
NutinHonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 7,799
Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post

Has she been assessed for having an Alzheimer's type disorder? Some of the newer drugs can be very effective in slowing the progress of the disease. Also, just make sure she has enough B vitamins (no yeast of course) and is getting enough protein and water. These are some common problems with the elderly. You might also want to look into Fawn's digestive enzyme suggestions, since poor food digestion might also play a role.

.
Now, please forgive me, but I'm not clear of all the details about her treatments she has recieved. I do remember about a year ago she went to see some sort of specialist out of town. "He told her to take B vitamins" was about all the info I heard from my FIL. I know she did for a while, but with the inconsistency of vitamins, I know she was not getting a good quality with the store brand that he brought home for her. "It didn't help" they said...

I just recently learned that she's never had a brain scan/MRI. Her primary doctor said she "couldn't believe that she had never ordered one" for my MIL. In other words, doc messed up. I *thought* that the specialist before had ordered one, but apparently he didn't either.

I know she doesn't drink much water as she has admitted to not liking it too much. Crystal light and juices...maybe some milk, but not much water.

She's also had some sort of cough/respiratory illness for a few weeks. I didn't even think to ask if she was given antibiotics.

An educated (eh, well somewhat) guess would say it's a good chance she has quite a bit of yeast overgrowth, and perhaps has for some time. Her diet (and all of DH's family) is heavy on carbs.

I would also assume she needs a comprehensive nutritional plan to help her heal. I wish she could find a doctor that would try a more holistic approach. Her current one is very pharma-minded. She had quite the assortment a while back...not sure what she's taking now.

I wouldn't even want to attempt to try to give her advice (most of the family think my nutritional "advice" is pretty whacky...I'm used to the coconut oil jokes )
NutinHonie is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #432
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,540
Gallery: losin4good1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris T. View Post
I have something like this, and I use a lotion called Lacticare. You need to ask for it behind the pharmacy counter. It seems to help.
Get out of town! Really?! *scribbling like mad* I'll be going to the pharmacy tomorrow! Thanks so much!
losin4good1980 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Kris T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I've been everywhere, man
Posts: 3,105
Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
You can google it if you need to see a picture (I don't think I'm allowed here). It's not cheap, I think it's up to $15, but it seems to work. It has lactic acid in it.

GL
Kris T. is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #434
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Su11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Outside Perimeter Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutinHonie View Post
Now, please forgive me, but I'm not clear of all the details about her treatments she has recieved. I do remember about a year ago she went to see some sort of specialist out of town. "He told her to take B vitamins" was about all the info I heard from my FIL. I know she did for a while, but with the inconsistency of vitamins, I know she was not getting a good quality with the store brand that he brought home for her. "It didn't help" they said...

I just recently learned that she's never had a brain scan/MRI. Her primary doctor said she "couldn't believe that she had never ordered one" for my MIL. In other words, doc messed up. I *thought* that the specialist before had ordered one, but apparently he didn't either.

I know she doesn't drink much water as she has admitted to not liking it too much. Crystal light and juices...maybe some milk, but not much water.

She's also had some sort of cough/respiratory illness for a few weeks. I didn't even think to ask if she was given antibiotics.

An educated (eh, well somewhat) guess would say it's a good chance she has quite a bit of yeast overgrowth, and perhaps has for some time. Her diet (and all of DH's family) is heavy on carbs.

I would also assume she needs a comprehensive nutritional plan to help her heal. I wish she could find a doctor that would try a more holistic approach. Her current one is very pharma-minded. She had quite the assortment a while back...not sure what she's taking now.

I wouldn't even want to attempt to try to give her advice (most of the family think my nutritional "advice" is pretty whacky...I'm used to the coconut oil jokes )
I'm sorry. I was in somewhat the same situation with my mom. Dad was in charge and they both had huge problems getting the medical folks to coordinate and keep things going. The ball was dropped in almost every circumstance. It is terrible and frustrating.

Maybe you could gift her with some good B vitamins? It is hard to do anything effective from a distance, and it is so hard seeing them slip away.
Su11 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #435
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,540
Gallery: losin4good1980
Sorry if this has already been posted - I'm through 5 pages now and I have to stop - ya'll are chatty! lol ... I'm just wondering.. I'm on Netrition and I see I can buy CO pills - can I do that instead of actually taking the solid form? I've had it before and could barely get it down - I hated the oily taste on my lips when I tried it in coffee...
losin4good1980 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #436
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Gallery: Snowman815
So this is my very first post on LCF, but I have been doing Atkins for a while. I have actually lost close to 50lbs. I actually tried to do the Anti-Candida diet and it wiped me out. I was always tired and often times felt quesy. Just this week I went back to just doing Low-carb and so far I seem to be feeling better. My biggest problem at this point is that I often feel like I am constipated, but I am not because I do go once or twice a day. I will definatley give the coconut oil a try sounds like it seems to be working for a lot of people here. Thank you all for your help and suggestions it is great to know that I am not alone in this.
Snowman815 is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!
 
Nikouli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 1,204
Gallery: Nikouli
Stats: 5'5" 196/186/140 (we'll see when I get there)
WOE: Low carb/Whole foods/Gluten-free
Start Date: Original: 5/29/08 (pregnant 3/2010) New: 9/17/12
I'm so happy I found this thread! Thanks Tooter, and everyone else who has provided such useful information!
Nikouli is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 743
Gallery: SLynnB
Tooter, in response to your question, yes I seem to be having those periods of great energy to just drop to can barely function. I know I'm not being as strict as you, so I will probably go thru this longer. Sure do like the periods of intense energy though. Also, by late afternoon, not only was I running slower today, I had a sore throat (which is now gone) and the belching was back full force. I so hope that this regimen eventually gets rid of the belching.

Off to make some coconut bark.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member
 
emslight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 838
Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Morning ladies. I too have had the bursts of energy followed by periods of absolute slumps. Currently feeling energised so trying to make hay...

Oh a few more ugly little die off things have appeared:

2 big mouth ulcers
spots on my butt (no laughing pls!) and a few on the tops of my arms
slightly flushed face
plus still have the bunged up nose thing going on

(oh and jeez, the amount of gunk I scraped off my tongue this morning!)

But I feel lucid and pleased I survived the day from hell yesterday.

No weight loss yet but half an inch off my waist since last week and trousers feel looser.

How you all doing? I'm going down to my health food store today to stock up on vits - cod liver oil and vit b complex. Plus gonna see if I can find any sauerkraut.

P. S.
Any thoughts on what I can use to flavour meat? In the past I have used liberally things like soy sauce, worcestshire sauce, mustard, that kind of thing. Now I feel a bit stuck... I'm using lots of spices and herbs but feel like I am mssing a bit of kick to my food.
emslight is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member
 
kristin4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 455
Gallery: kristin4
Stats: 260.8 /233/ 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/9/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post


Ok, I'm just going to ask you and everyone else.

Are you going through points of "die off" really tired feeling bad, and then burst of energy where you think you are past it....Then the die off feeling comes back?

I keep thinking...HEY, I think I am past this. I get a burst of energy etc... Then WHAM!!! Exhausted, brain fog...etc.
Yes! Yes! Yes!!! I felt ok yesterday, then I started getting dizzy felt tired, weak, just not right again. I still have that headache. I got heart burn, stomach ache. I even had to take a 75 mg zantac, something I have not taken in a month. ( I was on 600 mg a day as an H2 blocker) Brain fog, that is a normal thing for me anymore. Most times I can be in the middle of a sentence and totally forget the next word. I can picture in my head what I am trying to say, like the word truck, will forget the word, but can remember what it looks like. This is very frustrating. My family is getting very good at finishing my sentences for me. I also put the wrong word in. Like, go put the news in your drawer, instead of, go put your clothes in your drawer. My family thinks I have been losing my mind.
__________________
I just want to feel good again. Weight loss is the bonus!


260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250 249 248 247 246 245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234
[COLOR="Red"]233[/COLOR] 232 231 230

Last edited by kristin4; 09-23-2008 at 05:17 AM..
kristin4 is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #441
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Su11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Outside Perimeter Atlanta Georgia
Posts: 15,140
Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
I'm not being as strict as I should be either, but I'm experiencing some symptoms, so I guess I'm on the slow tract. I'll do a stricter version when I'm home for a while.

I have the dreams... quite intense at times, sometimes just funny
I have quick shifts of body temperature, not anything like a hot flash, but almost like a niacin flush
The bursts of energy come and go...Those are cool!
I have the first mouth ulcers I've had in years, the one inside my bottom lip disappeared overnight, but one on the top replaced it!

I haven't had too many break outs, but my psoriasis has had a bit of a flare in tiny patches, nothing major, just annoying.

I'm hopeful that as I baby-step my way through this that I'll find I was truly in die off and be much better.
Su11 is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #442
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
sherlynn9 and emslight, thank you for your responses. I thought I was going crazy!!


Ok, I did some more reading, but it didn't Over whelm me. I read Bee Wilder's Article that was in Nourished Magazine.

An extremely good read. I think I got even more out of it then skimming her website.

Here is the link to it it (It's 3 parts)

Candida
Candida Diet
Candida



Now, what I am going to attempt to do here (If my brain fog stays away for a while) Is to Highlight some parts of it here, that we all had questions about, to get some answers that we could have a "quick" reference to.

Believe me, there is a lot more information in these articles then I am going to post about. I'm just going to High light a few.

Here goes!
---------------------------------------------
Eliminate all grains, seeds, nuts and legumes*
---------------------------------------------

I think we had a question about this. It makes sense to me that seeds would be a factor just like nuts would.

If not prepared right, the seeds would have fungus and not only that, but they are a "Higher in carb" food. It also takes our bodies longer to process these foods. They slow down digestion. That's not a good thing with Candida!! That gives yeast time to grow.

This is also why Added Fiber can cause problems.

--------------------------------------------------
Animals that nourish themselves primarily on grain and other plant matter are called herbivores. Some have as many as four stomachs, with longer intestines and their digestion transit time is also longer than other animals. Many animals, including man, have one stomach and a much shorter intestine compared to herbivores. These features allow man to digest animal products and natural fats easily, but they make him less well adapted to digest plant foods, particularly grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. In fact the human digestive system is totally unable to break down fibres in plant foods. The more fibre foods eaten the harder it is on the intestines, which have to work very hard to get rid of all of those fibres, making the bowels move too quickly. This also means fewer nutrients are being absorbed from foods. Fibres are never a solution for constipation, in fact grains cause constipation. The solution to constipation is plenty of “good” saturated fats.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Now, remember me with my Bottled Salad dressing that contained Soy oil? (I dare you to find a bottled Salad dressing that doesn't have soy oil).

Also, Mayo..which is made with Soy oil. Remember me thinking it wasn't a big deal? I got rid of them and starting losing weight? Well, here is what she has to say about Soy Oil.



-----------------------------------------------------------
Eliminate man-made fats and oils, soybeans and soybean products, and processed foods.

Candida sufferers cannot afford to jeopardize their health by consuming toxic and damaging oils and fats, so they must avoid all of man-made hydrogenated (trans-fats) and polyunsaturated fats and oils made from vegetables oils, except extra virgin olive oil. These man-made fats and oils are not only toxic and increase the body’s need for vitamin E and other antioxidants, but they also greatly depress the immune system. They are only one molecule away from being plastic, and they act just like plastic in the body. You wouldn’t melt down Tupperware and eat it, so you do not want to eat any plastic fats and oils.


Unfortunately the body will incorporate these fats and oils into every cell, which changes the cell membrane’s structure. When these plastic fats and oils are incorporated into the cells it makes them flabby so that they lack integrity and necessary stiffness, which also makes them weak. Weak flabby cells allow toxins to enter them, which further damages health, as in the case of lung cancer from inhaled toxic substances such as cigarette smoke. Healthy cells are made of 50% saturated fats, and they do not allow such toxins to enter them.

For this reason all man-made fats and oils, found in margarine, shortening, mayonnaise, salad dressing, canned meats, most commercial baked goods and processed foods, should not be consumed, even by healthy people.
-------------------------------------------------------


What does she have to say about Amino Acids?


---------------------------------------------------------
Amino acids in supplement form or in powders are another example. Such supplements are processed in pill or powdered form, often from soy, which has been hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzing is the chemical method of producing monosodium glutamate (MSG), and MSG is a neurotoxin, meaning that it is poisonous to nerve tissue or to the brain or spinal cord.

Such products may be advertised as “all natural,” but they are far from it, and they cause a lot of serious damage in the body. Amino acids contained in real foods like eggs and meats are much easier for the body to digest and utilize compared to any processed amino acids.
--------------------------------------------------

What about doing a Cleansing? She says No.


--------------------------------------------------
Most people with candida have digestive problems, including stomach aches and upsets, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc. While many candida programs recommend cleansing or cleanses of the bowels and other organs in the body, these treatments can be very harsh. Liver, kidney and gallbladder cleanses dump too many toxins into the body at one time, which most candida sufferers are too sick to handle. There have been cases of people with life threatening conditions caused by such cleanses, requiring emergency room treatment. Also, liver and gall bladder cleanses can release liver and galls stones into the bile ducts that can block and tear them, requiring emergency surgery.

All cleanses are a combination of herbs or ingredients which many candida sufferers cannot handle, not only because it causes too many toxins to be dumped into the system at one time, but also because the ingredients themselves are often too strong, causing adverse reactions.

However, this candida diet contains high “good” saturated fats, which are very important for liver and gall bladder health. Over time the diet will normalize functioning of all organs, including the liver, gall bladder and adrenals, and it may dissolve any stones that present.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

What about probiotics? When and why? Why type?

She says later...just because it will increase the die off and to have more room to colonize. Not because the antifungles will kill them.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Probiotics are the ‘friendly’ or ‘beneficial’ bacteria/micro-organisms that normally live in the digestive tract. As yeast colonies are reduced, space becomes available for colonizing these healthy bacteria. Lactobacteria make up 95% of the beneficial bacteria found in the small intestines, so it is most important to colonize it, rather than other friendly bacteria.

When you start on probiotics you will find these friendly bacteria can cause gas and bloating. This is a die-off response to the friendly bacteria. Friendly bacteria literally eat candida, which in turn release gases (carbon dioxide).

This is why probiotics are added to the program after antifungals. This allows enough time for the diet and antifungals to reduce intestinal yeast so that gas and bloating will not be so extreme. Anyone who experiences tremendous gas and bloating after starting on probiotics has excessive intestinal candida, and they should continue taking antifungals awhile longer before adding probiotics.
-------------------------------------------------------------


What type of probiotics? And are some a waste of our money? acidophilus-lactobacillus, Maximum dose of 10 million...spaced through the day.


--------------------------------------------------------------
Probiotic supplements are also good for planting good bacteria in the digestive tract. Since 95% of beneficial organisms in the digestive tract are lactobacteria, the simplest form of lactobacillus is recommended. Freeze-dried acidophilus lactobacillus is the most common form available:

* Buy acidophilus-lactobacillus that is not based on dairy.
* It should be free of: soy, wheat, dairy, sugar, yeast, gluten, and artificial coloring or preservatives.
* It should be in dark bottles or opaque containers to avoid deterioration by heat and light, and kept refrigerated, even at the store.
* It is best to get powdered probiotics so you can measure out the correct amount of units. If you buy capsules you may need to dump them out in order to get the right dose.*

*Note: Dose is a maximum of 10 billion units per day, taken in divided doses.
There are numerous probiotic and prebiotic products available, with many companies making wild claims about their products in an effort to increase sales. These companies are using “marketing” ploys in order to distinguish their products from others on the market, for example:

Enteric Coated - A number of companies are selling “enteric coated” capsules and claim that they survive high acids in the stomach. First of all, the stomach also has mucus membranes, which can have candida overgrowth, and it also contains lactobacteria. Therefore the stomach also needs probiotics. Secondly, since lactobacillus is a normal inhabitant of the stomach, how can stomach acids possibly kill it? When I was curing my candida 20 years ago I took powdered probiotics.
--------------------------------------------




Ok, that's All I can do this morning.

I hoped that helped someone. I know it did me.


Have a GREAT Morning!
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #443
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post
I'm not being as strict as I should be either, but I'm experiencing some symptoms, so I guess I'm on the slow tract. I'll do a stricter version when I'm home for a while.

I have the dreams... quite intense at times, sometimes just funny
I have quick shifts of body temperature, not anything like a hot flash, but almost like a niacin flush
The bursts of energy come and go...Those are cool!
I have the first mouth ulcers I've had in years, the one inside my bottom lip disappeared overnight, but one on the top replaced it!

I haven't had too many break outs, but my psoriasis has had a bit of a flare in tiny patches, nothing major, just annoying.

I'm hopeful that as I baby-step my way through this that I'll find I was truly in die off and be much better.
Su11, Don't think you need to be as strict as all of us. It sounds to me you are doing this RIGHT!!!

I know some of us have experienced a little too much, die off.

From Bee Wilder's article (The 3 part one I posted in my above post) She says it's important TO GO SLOW!!

I think some of us have been jumping the Gun, and will have to slow things down Or just SUCK IT UP and continue.

It's better to go slow with the changes. This ensures the die off is something that can be handled.

Too many changes at once, means you will have extreme die off.

You are doing this right.
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #444
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
Yes! Yes! Yes!!! I felt ok yesterday, then I started getting dizzy felt tired, weak, just not right again. I still have that headache. I got heart burn, stomach ache. I even had to take a 75 mg zantac, something I have not taken in a month. ( I was on 600 mg a day as an H2 blocker) Brain fog, that is a normal thing for me anymore. Most times I can be in the middle of a sentence and totally forget the next word. I can picture in my head what I am trying to say, like the word truck, will forget the word, but can remember what it looks like. This is very frustrating. My family is getting very good at finishing my sentences for me. I also put the wrong word in. Like, go put the news in your drawer, instead of, go put your clothes in your drawer. My family thinks I have been losing my mind.


Kristin4...OMG, you truly made me laugh out loud. I am doing the same thing with my family. In fact, I said to one of my sons...."Talking to me is like playing Charades, isn't it"?
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #445
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Su11, I forgot to mention... The "Break out" on my face is "dry patches".
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #446
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutinHonie View Post
wow, I'm only on page 7/9 and I started reading last night. you all are keeping me from some very important chores!

Sadly, I have NOTHING worthy to eat in this house, except coconut oil! I actually have about a half gallon of some VGS (very good stuff!). I had taken a break from it recently and this thread pointed me back in the right direction. :sigh:, just almond breeze, and one can of "LITE" coconut milk...LOTS of cheese, nuts...and the really evil stuff, like pasta. I have to wait until Friday to stock up on some beneficial foods, and the other goodies--ACV, probiotics and grapeFRUIT seed extract.

THANK YOU, Tooter, for starting this. It's a subject that had caught my eye a while back (somewhere here on LCF), but it just didn't "click". Now, I know.

OK, enough about me...I've got a question that has had me pondering. I think it was Fawn that mentioned that candida could lead to brain damage...(it was way back in the thread, I may have misread). Now, my MIL got me to thinking. She has multiple serious health problems, most disturbing is her memory and thought processes. At first it was mostly just short term problems, but the other day she asked if her mother was still living. Her mother passed away about 10 years ago!

Could these yeast problems, left untreated for years upon years lead to some of the brain degeneration that so many of our elderly experience? Is there any research into this? Or has any one even made the hypothesis?
That's a really good question, and from doing some reading...People really think there is a connection.

I think that's the reason I am also doing this. It really looks like yeast is a huge connection in Most diseases including cancer.

I don't want to "Play" with this and just not have symptoms any more. I actually want to HEAL from this.

When I was just doing strict low carb, I had no symptoms, but If I went "off" plan with a poor choice or some other little thing...It would throw me into a spiral, I would get sick etc... It's obvious I wasn't healed. There wasn't a "balance" in my gut or body. I was just starving the yeast, they were very much still there and I didn't have the good bacteria in my gut. Also, I was not getting the nutrition out of my food. You can't get the proper vitamins and minerals from your food when you have an over growth of yeast.
Tooter is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #447
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 25,285
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have nursed 3 babies (No, not triplets!) while doing Atkins. I call it induction, but it may not be technically induction. I figured if any showed signs of not liking it or not thriving I would stop and add in some carbs but none of them disliked it. Since you have a 7 month old your supply is well established and you can tell if he/she doesn't like your milk. I would try it--that is what I did way back in 1999--I gave it 2 weeks and if anything was "off" I promised to stop. Thankfully I got no rejection and much better than that My son and I both got better!
__________________
Dawn in SC
dawnyama is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #448
Senior LCF Member
 
BusyBeeMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 543
Gallery: BusyBeeMommy
Stats: 231/225/200 Goal Size: 12/13 Current Size: 20
WOE: Phase 2 Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/2013
Thanks dawn!! Just cutting my carbs down (from upwards 300g a day to under 100) in three days I dropped 2 more lbs (I've been stuck for a few weeks at the same weight and even gained a few weeks ago) Very exciting stuff!
BusyBeeMommy is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member
 
emslight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 838
Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Hey there Busy Bee Mommy

I started induction in April when my babe was 3 months old. Not only did my milk production go balistic but it was lovely and rich and little one slept every night through the night, from 7 to 7. I know there is a lot of caution around lowering your carbs and BF'ing so if you are concerned, take it slow and see how baby/your milk supply reacts but as Dawn said, your baby is pretty well established with your feeding and likely to need less and less as the solids kick in. Mine is nearing 9 months now and only on 3 milk feeds a day.
emslight is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #450
Senior LCF Member
 
emslight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 838
Gallery: emslight
Stats: 160/Goal:130-133 (5ft 6)
WOE: Very High Fat/Yeast Free
Start Date: 8 April 2008
Ooh, ooh, ooh... i just came across a brilliant thing in my local supermarket. It's a box containing 4 mini sachets of creamed coconut. Creamed coconut is kind of like a solid block of coconut meat with solid coconut oil at the end. The texture of the 'meat' is like fudge and it tastes like the most wicked treat, lovely and sweet and fatty. To me, much more palatable than bark which I find overwhelming. Anyone what was great about this little box of sachets was that I just took one out the box and ate it as a low carb high fat snack whilst I was out. Wow. It put a curb on my hunger and gave me something to nibble on when previously a low carb snack when out and about would have been some nuts or dare I say it, a low carb bar. Each sachet has a carb count of just 2 and I think something like 300 calories - so no different to a chunk of cheese but way way better for us candida folk.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my find with you. Having a MUCH better day today than yesterday although I am now broke after spending fortunes in my health food store (supplements, coconut oil etc.)
emslight is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.