Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thegoodgirl
Stats: 301?/270/150
WOE: Atkins
Thank you tweetynole2
I flunked the Candida test, and had no clue before hand that I might have it.
I do have alot of the symptoms, but thought they were related to my hypothyroid.
grrrr, oh well now I can treat the cause.=)
thegoodgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Londongirl
Really sympathise with you there. BUT - MESSAGE TO YOU ALL - TRY STEVIA

visit http://www.stevia.com

It is a natural sweetener which the body treats as a herb - no cals, no effect on insulin and NO EFFECT ON CANDIDA!

You only need the tiniest amount or it's bitter but when I add it to nat yoghurt or flaxmeal it tastes just great. Real relief!

Also - my rash has GONE! Only left with some skin depigmentation and the sun is taking care of that. Feeling better though still hating this restrictive diet and taking all these supplements - threelac has really made a difference - since taking it 3 times per day for the last few weeks things have really started progressing...

Love to you all - we can beat it!

ANA
Old 05-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lo-carbin-in-Pgh
Start Date: October 2000
I used Stevia before Splenda became so popular, and cheap. I like being able to bake with Splenda. Can you replace it with Stevia in recipes? I will check out that website - thank you.
lo-carbin-in-Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:03 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

I have white discolored spots, I developed them in high school when I was tanning in beds. My doctor recently told me that it has always been there and I just didn't notice it before. It has spread... is this candida related?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:52 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Londongirl
White spots - either sun damage or tinea versicolor which is temporary due to fungal skin rash...ask the doc : )

Yup - you can bake with stevia and it comes in little packets like splenda- that website has recipes but they're not lo-carb. We'll have to experiment I guess.
Londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LMonty911
Stats: 156/122/125 5' 3.5"
WOE: Atkins-maintenance
Start Date: 8/18/03
FWIW, I'll share something a doctor in Florida taught me-for skin fungus, wash with Selsun Blue shampoo instead of soap, continue even seveal weeks after it seems gone, then use occasionally. Keep it dry, and never put any powder on it that contains cornstarch (carbs feed the yeast). The selenium sulfide in the shampoo kills yeast- same ingredient as the prescription lotion they used to prescribe, just not as strong-so Its gentler but still works. Worked for me, YMMV.
LMonty911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:51 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thank you LMonty911!
My doc gave me the brush off and told me its a birth mark that spreads..... yeah right.
I will miss my soap, I make it myself but the loss of the spots is worth it.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #38
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tweetynole2
Stats: 280/225/170; 5'7"; 26/18/14
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 9, 2004
Thoughts....

Yep, I have suffered from the tinea thing on and off for years. I don't tan anymore so I only get an occasional outbreak on my face and I use Lotrimin for that. The selsun is a good idea...I used to get it prescribed (so I'm assuming it was a bit stronger) for my tinea and it worked, but it dried the heck out of my skin which is sensitive anyway. Yes, it does spread like any fungal infection of the skin. Not sure if it's the tanning that irritates it..if you notice when it starts to grow it will be a pinkish rash, then the rash almost "eats" into your skin and then it will rob you of the pigment....thus the white spots. It's really pretty gross...LOL.

If you do have candida, the diet and the supplements you take should help from the inside out, but if you want to notice a difference on your skin quickly, you could try the selsun or the lotrimin.

Stevia can be found at the grocery store in a lot of places...I get mine at Kroger in the health food section. I don't like it as well as splenda, but those are the breaks. Just remember that it's REALLY sweet so don't use too much. They have it in granules or as I use it in liquid form in a bottle (easier to drop in drinks). Kinda pricey but...you don't use a bunch.

Good luck everyone! I went off my program for two weeks, so I'm starting all over again with this crap. Oh well, live and learn!

Susan
tweetynole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiltowait
John's kim chee

Having good bacteria in your gut can really help with candida.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...cillus&spell=1

Make it yourself, rather than worry about the bad quality, miniscule cultures and high price of lactobacillus supplements.
Here's my dad's recipe:
John's Kim chee -------
Ingredients;
- 1-2 lbs (?) Napa cabbage, Pick the one with the greenest outer leaves.
- 4-6 Oz. Daikon radish, or regular radish or ?
- 1+ teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 Tbsp shrimp paste
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced.
- Red pepper: Korean red pepper, coarsely ground, and Korean "paprika", (fine-ground) can be bought in about 1 lb bags in Korean stores. These are much milder than cayenne !! And tastier. For a 2 lb batch use about 1 tbsp Korean peppers, mixed. or wait til it's all assembled and add to taste. Red peppers get hotter with soaking time. Look out!

- About 1/2 cup bottled water. ("bottled" to avoid getting any chlorine disinfectant. This is a bacterial culture of the Lactobacillus plantarum bacteria naturally occurring in cabbage. Don't kill 'em!).
- 1 teaspoon of salt (Morton's "Lite Salt" preferred) for each pound of the above batch, OR: 1 tsp. for each pint volume when it has all the air pressed out.
- To give the good bacteria a leg up, I add 1 or 2 tbsp of organic,( NO Preservatives!) vinegar, such as Bragg organic vinegar. One could also use some whey - as from yoghurt. Or maybe a little lemon juice ,-- just to acidify the liquid a bit so as to make it inhospitable to bad-guy bacteria and molds.

The cabbage and daikon, of course, are cut up in largish bit-size pieces. Mix all by hand. I often take a half cup or so of the batch and puree it in the blender and add it back so as to free the L. plantarums into the batch.

Pack the batch in a suitable Pickle-crock-like (straight walled) container and put a weighted plate or cover of some sort atop the leaves. Let it wilt an hour or so, and press the plate down Try to exclude all air from the batch so as to prevent molding. Let it sit (pressing gas out once or twice a day, for, say, 4 days to a week or more. Taste it, if it’s good, refrigerate it to keep in that stage. Enjoy!
John Osborn
Tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Arcie
WOE: Moderate carbs
Hi everyone...
I hate to be a pessimist here..but I looked at the "home test" website, then went to their homepage....and guess what. It's a website for Threelac. The "test" is part of their advertising program. This makes me wonder if practically everyone (I think they say something like 80%) doesn't have a certain amount of healthy yeast in their system...so, this test shows positive for 80% of those who take it. Now, if they can convince even 20-30% of those people to buy Threelac indefinitely..their job is done.
I don't know how to find out whether the test is a genuine, true indicator of candida/yeast infection and if a positive result means you need to start taking Threelac, or if the positive result is actually normal for most people. Sorry, I'm just skeptical of things like this on the web. This post is certainly not meant to offend anyone....just my personal opinion that it may be an advertising "gimmick".
Arcie
Arcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
well I got F- on the test flunked them all...How does locarb realte to low yeast not to well I would guess have to elminate the cheese, mayo all the good low carb stuff...A question??? Is flax seed OK?
puttchikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: glasskat
Stats: 178.6/160/140
WOE: Atkins Induction/VLC
Start Date: July 2002/Restart May 2009
to the top^

Bumping for purple...
glasskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alexandra1
Stats: (207/200/130)
Start Date: restart 07/04/11
Re: Has anyone actually managed to get rid of candida?

Quote:
Originally posted by Londongirl
Would love to hear some success stories to keep me motivated on my anti-candida woe and woe is the word...man it's hard.

Also - does anyone have experience of fungal rashes, particularly tinea versicolor? I'm going slightly mad

Thanks
Londongirl,

I had it. It was hell. I had it 9 years ago after the birth of my first child and everyone thought I was looking for attention. Especially my MIL. to this day I cannot say the words Candida in front of my spouse.

I tried everything imaginable to rid myself. What finally worked was actually a simple approach. yes, the candida diet. was boring as hell, but I was so sick. all I ate was meat and veggies with lots of garlic. I had a high colonic to cleanse my intestines. I worked with an alternative healer to get me well. I took homeopathic remedies aimed at what was causing me problems that week. He would change remdies every week, relaxation techiniques also helped a great deal.

It took me about 4 months to finally climb out of the mess. It was a lot of hard work, but my spouse was deployed and I had a baby to care for so I had to. Navy wives must persevere. One big thing was sunshine. I lived in California so that was easy. As my adrenal glads recharged and the yeast died, I regained my energy and was able to play a lot more with my child. it is a tough road, but even harder to live with. You must do what's best for you.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I am a bit of an expert on this...It has never returned.

mini-goal 190 by July 29
alexandra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Re: yogurt

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyjas
Mary let me say first you look wonderful. I looked into the yogurt and the plain yogurt has alot of sugar.

Actually the sugar or carbs in yougurt are actually closer to 4 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup serving for full fat yougurt, however if one is tackling a yeast infection first than it should'nt even be an issue. I was an RD and I had a horrid candidiasis infection 9 years ago. I lost 50 lbs and ate live yougurt and used kyodophilus.

what was a lifesaver for me was my love of exotic cuisines. I ate lots of Lebanese, Greek and Indian foods( minus the straches and sweets in the cuisines. The spices and meats and veggies made the candida plan acceptable. fresh garlic is really one of the best things a Candida sufferer can do...

I have no idea what threelac is, but It seems to get good feedback. I used Kroeger herbs and homeopathics( after exhausting " western medicine" and they were cheap compared to what people are charging to treat Candididiasis now.. Now it's gaing legitmacy( finally) and the quacks are out there too...

Middle Eastern Cuisine has a fabulous sauce used mostly for what's called Shish Tawook. the sauce is called toom, for those here with culinary knowledge it is like an French aioli, but based purely on garlic, salt crushed into a paste in a mortar and pestel( or food processor like me) then lemons juice and real extra virgin olive oil is added until the sauce of paste is the desired consistancy. It should be strongly garlickly. I used it on all my meats. It is wondeful and it really helped me get rid of the yeast. I used it liberally and lost 50 lbs and the yeast all died.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: purple
Stats: 407/267/160
WOE: WLS on 1/19/10, lower carbs, high protein
I am having a bit of an epiphany reading this. I will try not to tell too much of my life story, but please bear with me.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 11 or 12. Around the age of 14, it got bad...to the point where I occasioanlly had to be hospitalized for it. I was on prednisone almost constantly, and antibiotics pretty frequently. The asthma calmed down cosiderably when I was 20...a combination of new drugs and moving out my my parents house (which had a moldy basement which I think played a big part in the asthma). From the ages of 14 til I moved out, the asthma just got worse and worse, and I just took more and more steroids. I put on a lot of weight (100 lb in about 2 years after high school) and also developed a rash on my legs. It's been diganosed as exzema and as psoriasis by different doctors, but the drugs used for those 2 problems haven't helped. Not even Elidel, which is the latest and greatest for eczema. Reading over this, I am beginning to think that I do not have eczema or psoriasis, but yeast. I have patches of red (sometimes almost purplish) skin on my lower legs that it itchy and just wont get better. Also, my lower legs WILL not tan, and up close they have a mottled kind of skin tone in the areas that aren't red and thickened. Things just kind of went on like this from the time I was 19-20 til about a month ago.

A month or so ago, I had to go to the ER for an allergic reaction to something I ate. They gave me very high doses of steroids. I haven't been right since. I have been cranky, tired, itchy, I lost my sex drive, can't get up in the morning, hungry all the time (mostly for carby and sugary stuff). I have a rash on my back that developed after a sunburn, and now my scalp is itchy and I have some of the rash behind my ears as well. I also stalled on my weight loss around this time, and eventually got so frustrated that I went off plan.

I think that these could all be yeast symptoms, caused by the steroids. I have a doc appt tmw and I am going to insist that I be tested.

I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. ~Tool

"Alice came to a fork in the road. 'Which road do I take?' she asked. 'Where do you want to go?' responded the Cheshire Cat. 'I don't know,' Alice answered. 'Then,' said the cat, 'it doesn't really matter.'"
-Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Okira
Stats: 223/181/150
Start Date: August, 2005
WOW! Now I have some questions! I'm 49, very perimenopausal, and here's a list of what I've experienced since the end of November:
1. I discovered a pink, oval shaped spot (1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch wide) on my back that hasn't gone away or changed much at all. The only change has been one time when it got flaky, but when I took a warm bath, all the flakes disappeared and the spot looked shiny. My first thought due to my constant worrying is that it's skin cancer! WorryingAnxiety...yet another fun thing about perimenopause!
2. For the first time ever in my 49 years, I discovered red, strange looking skin in between my 4th and 5th toe on my left foot. Now it's flaking and peeling/cracking.
3. I decided to check my skin all over and found an area under my left breast that is pigmented (tan), slightly raised, and just looks odd.
4. Periodically I'm getting VERY red, irritated skin under one or both breasts. I discovered that if I put baby powder under there it clears up in a day or so.
5. About 3 weeks ago one side of my stomach started itching like crazy. It got very red (probably from me scratching the hell out of it!!!). I finally put some Cortizone Cream on it which stopped the itch and it cleared up in a few days.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS????? Please tell me that this isn't going to continue for years because I'm going to go insane. We didn't have health insurance until this week so I can finally get in to see the doctor mid-February. I can't wait to get there!
Okira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okira View Post
WOW! Now I have some questions! I'm 49, very perimenopausal, and here's a list of what I've experienced since the end of November:
1. I discovered a pink, oval shaped spot (1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch wide) on my back that hasn't gone away or changed much at all. The only change has been one time when it got flaky, but when I took a warm bath, all the flakes disappeared and the spot looked shiny. My first thought due to my constant worrying is that it's skin cancer! WorryingAnxiety...yet another fun thing about perimenopause!
2. For the first time ever in my 49 years, I discovered red, strange looking skin in between my 4th and 5th toe on my left foot. Now it's flaking and peeling/cracking.
3. I decided to check my skin all over and found an area under my left breast that is pigmented (tan), slightly raised, and just looks odd.
4. Periodically I'm getting VERY red, irritated skin under one or both breasts. I discovered that if I put baby powder under there it clears up in a day or so.
5. About 3 weeks ago one side of my stomach started itching like crazy. It got very red (probably from me scratching the hell out of it!!!). I finally put some Cortizone Cream on it which stopped the itch and it cleared up in a few days.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS????? Please tell me that this isn't going to continue for years because I'm going to go insane. We didn't have health insurance until this week so I can finally get in to see the doctor mid-February. I can't wait to get there!
[COLOR="Purple"] Unless your new doctor is very enlightened about it, he/she will not diagnose candida. But that's what it sounds like you have. I would often get red rashes under my breasts, in the fold under my belly, and in the several other folds I have. I suggest you read the thread on this forum titled Let's talk....YEAST/CANDIDA!!. There's a ton of information on that list and it will take you a while to get through it, but I strongly suggest you do because you will learn a lot about candida and how to treat it.

If you have more questions just ask away. We have so many here that have dealt with candida that someone here will have an answer for you. Good luck.[/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png
ceccarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: swegirl
Ive got another tip for you...

Drink Vichy Water! It is a salty water from Vichy in France. The Candida hates the two particular salts that Vichy water contains. I don't know how easy it is to get hold of outside Europe but it is a sparkly water and it works wonders for your yeast infection. I had terrible vaginal yeast and used it to wash myself (down there) about 5 times in a day and believe it or not - it actually worked very fast. However you might have to use it several days to get rid of the infection.

I also drink about 3 tins of this stuff a day and I think it is really good. In combination with diet it works a treat.
swegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 7littleangels
Stats: 220/220/140
WOE: Atkins '72/ Healthy eating for life
Start Date: 6/12/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswoman View Post
I don't know if any of you have tried coconut oil, but it's supposed to be a tremendous deyeaster. Helps with weight loss and a bunch of other things too. 3 1/2 Tbsp. a day is the recommended amount for maximum benefit. Might be good for anyone who can't eat yogurt.

I have been up to three Tablespoons a day and I still have problems.

I have been eating clean for 2 months and taking the following things and I still have problems

Coconut Oil
Oil of Oregano
Colloidal Silver
Zinc
Garlic
Probiotics
multi-vitamin

Sometimes it feels better and I think I am making progress and then it flares right back up.

Jeanie
7littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
I've been on an anti-candida diet for 8 weeks now. My symptoms have lessened quite a bit, except for the fatigue. That's still going strong, but I expect that to take a year or so to clear up.

One great thing to report is that I've been having solid bowels for 1 month now!!! I can't remember in my 31 years of life when I've had solid bowels for a whole month. I'm finally starting to digest my food and hopefully my body is taking in all the nutrients now. I think a big part of the fatigue was a nutrient deficiency for so long. I've been pretty strict with my eating and I'm worried what's going to happen when I go on a 3-week vacation in 3 weeks.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 7littleangels
Stats: 220/220/140
WOE: Atkins '72/ Healthy eating for life
Start Date: 6/12/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londongirl View Post
Really sympathise with you there. BUT - MESSAGE TO YOU ALL - TRY STEVIA

I use only stevia and it has not helped the Candida at all. I am trying alkaline water. I do not hold out much hope,but some say it works.

Jeanie
7littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 AM   #52

Gallery: StephStu
It might not be candida

I thought I had severe candida infection. I suffered for years. Then I went to a Dr. who diagnosed it as something else, gave me one pill, and I've been fine for years.

If you haven't been to a doctor, especially if you are sexually active, you need to go get properly diagnosed. Not every vaginal infection is candida.

Also, low carb diets can acidify your body, and candida thrives in an acid environment. Drinking one 8 oz. glass of water with a tsp. of baking soda mixed in every night helps to alkalinize your body and make it less hospitable to the yeast. You can also ****** with a qt. of water with a tsp. of baking soda mixed in. It's very soothing to the raw tissues, and again, helps provide an inhospitable environment for the yeast.

Garlic is a powerful anti-fungal. Take 4 capsules a day, just like antibiotics, 4 hours apart. It should help within 10 days, but you might have to take it forever to keep the yeast down.
StephStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StoneAgeQueen
Stats: 168/144/120 - Height 5'5
WOE: Original Atkins and The Primal Blueprint
Nystatin is very effective at killing yeast. I got some from my doctor and took it right after an antibiotic course, My yeast infection went away in a few days when usually it would take months for it to go away after antibiotics. I've continued taking it and now I'm also experiencing die off symptoms. I use the liquid form.
StoneAgeQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Knock3times
alexandra1,

I am desperately trying to help my husband get rid of candida symptoms (skin rashes, itching). We are only having temporary progress with the diet and grapefruit seed extract. We are in California, and I wonder if you could point me to the alternative practitioner that helped you. Also, what do you think was the key to your success? Was it the high garlic diet or the supplements? Did it cost an arm and a leg? And did you have these "die-off" symptoms that people talk about?
Knock3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

honestly, it took a colonic to clear out "my plumbing", lots of garlic..I lived in San Diego then. never came back!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skyblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock3times View Post
I am desperately trying to help my husband get rid of candida symptoms (skin rashes, itching). We are only having temporary progress with the diet and grapefruit seed extract. We are in California, and I wonder if you could point me to the alternative practitioner that helped you. Also, what do you think was the key to your success? Was it the high garlic diet or the supplements? Did it cost an arm and a leg? And did you have these "die-off" symptoms that people talk about?
The diet and grapefruit seed extract alone cannot cure Candida.

Normally Candida will become immune to GSE after several weeks, not always, but it happens a lot of time, and it certainly did with me. I stopped using it and changed to Oil of Oregano (5 drops placed in an empty capsule 2 to 3 times a day, you should build up to this amount starting very slowly with just 1 or 2 drops), coconut oil (I built up to 10 to 16 tablespoons a day during treatment), garlic after every meal, and huge doses of probiotics. By "huge" I'm talking about taking two capsules a day, each containing 80 billion bacteria with a strain count of 14. I took the probiotics morning and night on an empty stomach.

Of course, I stayed 100% on the Candida diet while using the antifungals and probiotics. Today I'm completely cured.

Don't let your husband attempt to do all of this at one time, it will create a massive die-off response and cause him to become very ill.

Yes, I did experience die-off symptoms, but these can be greatly reduced by a product made by Native Remedies called Candidate and another product by the name of Molybdenum. Has your husband never experienced a die-off symptom?

Sorry I can't help you with a doctor. Personally, I never consulted any kind of doctor during my treatment.

Last edited by skyblue; 07-14-2011 at 06:02 PM..
skyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bhappy
Stats: 147/135/130
Start Date: June 2009
Hey, I have a question for the more "seasoned" candida sufferers......has anyone found out what actually causes this? Especially those of you have had medical practioners treating you. I think we are all in agreement that it is an immune system problem. The immune system does not keep the normal Candida in your system under control. The immune system can be affected by years of antibiotics, steroids, high carb diets, etc which then leads to leaky gut syndrome, etc and then things just get worse and worse. However, I started with symptoms of Candida when I was five and struggled my entire life with problems from it but had no idea that it was a candida problem until 2-3 years ago. Well, both of my girls started with symptoms when they were 3.5 yrs old. I have years of "evidence" with the kids because their symptoms flare only when they have too much sugar, fruit as well. And I am able to get it under control with Coconut Oil and Colloidal silver and now they eat a super healthy diet with very little sugar but they do not have a history of antibiotics, steroids, birth control pills, etc. They have not been on many antibiotics so far in their life. There obviously is an immune system problem but given our situation, there must be a hereditary component to this. Like an actualy defect in part of the immune system that can be transferred genetically. I have been searching for mainstream medical help with this because we need to be able to utilize our insurance and have not found anyone who really gets that this could be a Candida problem.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else has some info that could help us. I can't imagine my young girls having a life of battling Candida. It is already so difficult everyday when it comes to eating in my house let alone having to deal with them wanting to be a normal kid at parties etc where they can't eat most of what is there....ugh. Please comment if you have any additional info. The beauty of this forum is us helping eachother and I appreciate it.
bhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
bhappy, I agree with you 100%. Candida is a result of the problems with immune system, plus I think it can be hereditary too. My mom has had it and now, I have it!
Other girls have it too and their mothers had it before them...it sucks.

Selsun blue really does help with skin problems. I've been using it and it cured the rash on the back of my upper arms.
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bhappy
Stats: 147/135/130
Start Date: June 2009
Jonika, so there are many of us suffering with this that have family members affected also, but it is so difficult to find doctors in mainstream medicine to get all of this. I guess I'm just on the hunt by myself for a doctor that will do the appropriate tests to get to the bottom of it. I'll likely start with an immunologist and maybe then geneticist....I'm not satifisfied with only treating the "symptoms" of Candida and trying to keep it under control while not knowing what really started all of this and is there something that can be done about that.
Thanks for the input.
bhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skyblue
Alkaline vs Acidic

Greetings, everyone.

This is a long post, but in my opinion and experience it explains why most people can’t cure their Candida.

There are constant debates going on all the time all over the Internet concerning which is most beneficial to the Candida treatment, an alkaline or an acidic environment. However, here is a helpful fact:

If you’ve researched Candida albicans, then you probably know that this fungi is known to produce ammonia; to explain the effect of ammonia on a human body, research has documented that ammonia creates an environment which is beneficial to the growth of yeast. For anyone with Candida, the important factor in this research is that ammonia is an alkaline gas. So my question is, why does Candida produce an alkaline substance if, according to the alkaline-environment supporters, it’s supposed create an environment harmful to their growth and existence? It makes no sense at all if you’re thinking like an alkaline supporter.

Explanation of the natural pH balance which is normally in the human body; there’s a huge misconception about the acidic and alkaline balance in the body, and it all stems from the way our pH is normally tested. The way that's done is to test the blood, urine, or saliva, and all three of these are normally more alkalized. So many people assume that the entire body is and should be more alkalized than acidic. But this is not necessarily true.

The only way to get a true picture of the alkaline/acidic amounts in the human body is to look at one section at a time, because some parts of the body are naturally more acidic than others, and some more alkaline than others. So if you did a pH check on the individual parts of the body this is what you'd find:

The skin is naturally more acidic, and so is the vagina. In a healthy human, both the stomach and the digestive system have more acidic environment. However, the blood is naturally more alkaline as are some other parts of the body. So this is why it's so misleading to make a claim that the human body itself should have a certain pH balance, or that it should be more of one than the other because it really all depends on which part of the body you're talking about.

The reasons that a more acidic environment is natural and needed in certain areas of the body are because, for one, the skin needs to be more acidic because it has to protect itself from environmental factors such bacteria and toxins. The vagina also maintains an acidic environment for protection, and when the pH balance goes too high (too alkalized), yeast and bacterial infections can be the result.

The lower digestive system is normally highly acidic because the digestive acids are part of the process of digesting and utilizing the foods we eat as fuel, plus the acidic environment protects us from such things as fungal infections in the digestive system. When the digestive system becomes too alkaline because of eating too many alkalizing foods such as fruit, then yeast is sometimes allowed to grow and Candida is often the result. Of course, too many of the foods that the yeast live on such as sugar and simple carbohydrates can also cause a yeast overgrowth.

Below are some facts to think about as far as the human body and the acidic/alkaline balance that prove that fungi cannot survive an acidic environment but will thrive in an alkaline environment.

Research has proved that pathogens are destroyed in an acidic environment and thrive in an alkaline environment (I'm referring to the stomach and intestines which are normally more acidic). On a normal basis Candida may not be considered a pathogen, but Candida albicans certainly is.

Also the reason that sweat and oils on the skin create an acidic environment is so that harmful pathogens can be destroyed.

It’s recommended that anyone with a Candida infestation should take high doses of probiotics, and this usually turns out to be one of the main reasons the infestation is cured as long as the patient is not continually eating a food source for the Candida. By the way, this is exactly how I reached my cure not that long ago. It’s a well documented scientific fact that beneficial flora in the intestines create lactic acid which balances intestinal pH, they also produce short chain fatty acids as a by-product of fermentation in the intestinal tract which serve as food for the mucosal lining of the intestines and are indispensable to musocal health. In other words, the beneficial bacteria produce an acidic environment in our system. If producing acid isn’t a beneficial function for our system, why are the bacteria called ‘beneficial’?

Why does the human body naturally produce HCl (Hydrochloric acid) in the stomach?
Here's why: The hydrochloric acid kills most of the contaminating microorganisms in the stomach which in turn allows for easier digestion.

A debate statement made by an alkaline supporter, "A high alkaline diet will help to keep our bodies in the healthy, slightly alkaline state, rather than slightly acidic which is more common." If that's true, why is it that only a very small percentage of the population have Candida infestations if 'slightly acidic' is more common? Considering the theory of an alkaline environment being beneficial, it seems that the opposite would be the case.

Even though most people believe that Candida cannot be contracted through sexual intercourse, I’ve seen blogs and forums where woman have sworn that this is how they contracted either a yeast infection or Candida, and when you know the facts, it’s not that difficult to believe. The vagina normally has an acid pH making the normal environment for the vagina acidic, but semen has an alkaline pH, so having unprotected sexual intercourse three times or more within a 24 hour period will produce an alkaline environment in the vagina, and providing other aspects are suitable, such as the normal American diet consisting of high carbohydrate foods and sugar, this makes it ideal for a Candida overgrowth or yeast infection.
So if the vagina is predominately acidic in a healthy female, and Candida thrives in an acidic environment, why don't all “healthy” women have yeast infections -- all the time?

As stated earlier, the answer to successfully treating a Candida infestation is a very high dosage of probiotics with as many strains as possible. Of course this is useless if you are constantly offering the Candida their food course, carbohydrates and all forms of sugar.

Heppy Wellness.
Sky
skyblue is offline   Reply With Quote