Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chris3677
Atkins Bars in Canada

Just recently noticed that Atkins bars in Canada have whats called " Atkins Net Count" and not net carbs anymore. The bars contain very little sugar alcohols and now list protein on the front of the packaging. What does net Atkins count mean as opposed to net carbs like before?
chris3677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
I imagine they're the same thing and it's just a matter of a difference in advertising laws between the US and CA. Maybe the reduced sugar alcohols is a result of a difference between what the US and CA determine what qualifies as a sugar alcohol. Is the carb count the same?
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Shows the carb count as 16g. Sugar alcohols as 3g. 1 g of sugar. Then it states a net atkins count of 2g. It has me totally confused.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

That's weird but not uncommon with these Atkins products. They are deducting more sugar alcohol grams than the label states. Atkins is probably assuming those SA don't impact blood sugar... so they deduct them... even though CA law/rules/advertising doesn't recognize those carbs as SA.

In the end, it's always SAFER (diet wise) to count half of the stated carb count. I've read threads where diabetics have tested their glucose levels before and after eating these things and they say the bars DO effect their blood sugar. So not all of the sugar alcohols are undigested, regardless of the Atkins company stand on it. I tried them once... they SA are NOT good for my gut and I know I had an insulin response because the caused cravings and hunger. I'll never eat another one. I got three free ones in the mail and threw them away. LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
They may also be deducting fiber content as well.. That may be where the other 12 grams went.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

True!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

[IMG]staples.ca/en/Atkins-Advantage-Bar-Chocolate-Chip-Granola-5-x-48-g/product_591263_2-CA_1_20001?kpid=591263&cid=PS:SBD:GS:n:n:SBD:58:21 800&gclid=CMCQ0cLWjcACFQGPaQodTXQAbw[/IMG]