Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Raeli
Heavy cream carbs?

Does any one know if heavy whipping cream really has carbs some say 1 carb some say 0 carb
Raeli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neener207
Stats: 220/189/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 22 2014
Everything seems to have some carbs in it ugh... I know HWC does just not sure how much you have to have before it become 1 or more.
Neener207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
There is a thread on here where it was discussed and researched by many on the thread and I think the consensus was that it has to do with the fat content.
It was said that if it is below 1/2g carb per serving it could be listed as 0 carb. So if we consume 5 servings @ 1/2g or .5g carb in each it could add up to
2.5g carbs total.
Some think half and half is the same carb grams as cream but I say it's at least 50% more carbs because it's half milk and half cream.
I think if we could find higher quality cream with higher fat it would be much lower carbs or a real 0.
Dairy Farmers are paid based on the percentage of cream/fat in their milk so if milk distributors keep the fat in cream a little lower, they keep more profits and we get a few more carbs.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Do a carb search for 1 cup heavy whipping cream... then divide by 16 to get the carb count per tablespoon. I found one site that said HWC has 6.64g carb per cup. That's .4 per TBS.

Because of the current labeling laws you MAY find cartons that say 0g carb per TBS. That's because if the carb count is <0.5g they can LABEL IT AS ZERO.

Now... if you believe the label and use HWC freely, you can easily see how those "hidden" carbs can, and do, add up quickly.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Do a carb search for 1 cup heavy whipping cream... then divide by 16 to get the carb count per tablespoon. I found one site that said HWC has 6.64g carb per cup. That's .4 per TBS.

Because of the current labeling laws you MAY find cartons that say 0g carb per TBS. That's because if the carb count is <0.5g they can LABEL IT AS ZERO.

Now... if you believe the label and use HWC freely, you can easily see how those "hidden" carbs can, and do, add up quickly.
They are tricky in their labeling aren't they? That means they're selling us a lower quality product for more money. Can you just imagine how hard it was to do this diet before there were any labels?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I just checked my butters for another thread and realized that they all had 17% fat and 0 carbs. But cream is also 17%fat so why does it have carbs and butter does not?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Because cream has naturally occurring lactose (milk sugar) in it. Have you ever made butter? When you get the fat to separate from the cream you end up with it in liquid (whey)... that's where the lactose (carbs) and protein goes.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

As in Curds and Whey?
So the fat is the same in but it's the Whey that is removed when making it into butter and thus the carbs are removed.
Interesting....
Thanks Tril!