Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zegonzales
adding fruit ...

do you think is it possible to add fruit on the 3rd phase of Atkins ? what Iīve been doing is REDUCING the amount of fat and adding fruit.

One thing I consider to be a flaw of the Atkins diet is the "virtual elimination" of fruit of Atkins. fruit is a healthy food, nobody except those with a high insulin resistence should stay the rest of their lives without fruit.

I perceived that When I add sum carbohydrates and take out some fat thereīs no weight regain, but when I add the carbs and keep the fat there may be weight regain.

Iīd CERTAINLY sacrifice some fat to add some fruit to the diet because Fruit is healthy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
zegonzales is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Start with berries... a small serving... and keep track of your total carb intake. See how your hunger responds. That's the issue with fruit. It raises blood glucose quickly, then your BS drops and you're hungry again. Lack of appetite/hunger is one of the benefits of ketosis. It will be difficult to stay in ketosis while eating fruit. But that's ok... Akins never expected people to stay in ketosis forever. Look at Maintenance for proof of that. AND, yes... as carbs are increased over OWL, Pre-Maintenance and into Maintenance fat is reduced. It's never a low fat diet, though. Just be less liberal with added fats as you increase carb intake.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the info. the thing with adding carbs on Atkins is reducing the metabolic advantage effect ( IMO ) reducing fat burning I mean, it has nothing to do with hunger. I my hunger donīt get stronger when I add fruit. but I perceive I lose weight slower.
remember, the "calorie in calorie out" thing is different deppending on the composition of the macronutrients of your diet. With less carbs you can ACTUALLY eat more calories. Iīd like to know if there s someone woh knows where I can find studies about the "metabolic advantage" of Atkins, but I know it EXISTS.

The thing with fruit is:
It healthy , its nutrient dense and its full of antioxidants , so Thatīs why I decided to add it back first. the only berry I could add would be strawberries, but I actually want more varity, so I skipped to the 3rd stage of the Diet.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I remember reading once that the advantage was about 100 calories a day. That's a pound or so per month. Not a big advantage, I suppose, but it's there.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Well I saw a video of Kent Altena and I read something in a book called 15 day Atkins diet that this advantage is much bigger than that. Its definetely not only a matter of calorie in calorie out.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/201/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/18/14
Have you considered a different plan? It seems as though you really want to eat fruit. If you follow Atkins for long term you will still only be eating minimal fruits. Fruit is healthy, but in this way of eating it's not a go to choice for carbs. A weightloss plan that you feel comfortable with is the one that works. Just my two cents, best of luck.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Well as a weight loss plan Iīd stick with Atkins , but yes I want to add fruit. they are healthy they should not be eliminated. What Iīve been trying to do is REALLY reduce the amount of fat and add fruit thatīs "my own version" of Atkins. I can possibly give up the fatty meats , eliminate the butter and mantain some fatty cheese. thing is , I think eating fruit is INDEED important. not the same applies to grains.

Potatoes and other starchy veggies I eat from time to time. I couldnīt live forever without them
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

The nlast time I quit Atkins for awhile I tried to adhere to a Low Glycemic Index diet and I regained minimal weight and then it stayed stable. the "minimal amount of fruit" is THE weak point of Atkins In My Personal Opinion.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/201/160
Start Date: 6/18/14
You might look at South Beach, I think it adds more of the foods back that you want to add.
You might be able to lose doing your own plan, hopefully so. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Yeah South Beach is cool. thing is, SB is not as efficient as Atkins for "weightloss". I am at a pretty good weight now ( 90 kilograms ) I donīt know if Iīd like to lose more or not but the weight has been stable with this "own" version of Atkins ( much less fat and fruit added ).

thanks for the inputs anyways
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I have a question about it then: WHY are "berries" added first when you decided to add fruit back to your diet ?

BTW the only "berries" that are avaliable for me to add back in my diet are strawberries and ocasionally blueberries ...
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
LLE
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LLE
Stats: 260/205/190
Start Date: Feb 2014
How about Black Berries.
LLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I buy frozen berries.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
I buy frozen berries.
I canīt find them anywhere near to where I live ... there are some places which sell blueberries but its very ( very very ) expensive ...