Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Wanna look like a Sumo Wrestler? Then do what they do.

Many years ago I read an article like this one in a fitness magazine and it had a real impact on how I looked at what I ate, when I ate and then my activity level during the day. I googled and found this which is essentially the same information. I hope you also find it a motivator for you if you're stuck and finding it difficult to give up starchy carbs. (And booze.)

Have you ever wondered what Sumo wrestlers eat to look the way they do? Recently, out of curiosity, I decided to do my own research and I was shocked at my findings. The Sumo diet looked a little too familiar.

First, Sumo wrestlers typically eat only two times a day, skipping breakfast to keep their metabolism low. This is also a common practice in America. Whether itís a lack of time or appetite, many people skip breakfast. I donít know about you, but the next time Iím tempted to skip breakfast Iíll picture myself as a Sumo wrestler.

The next rule for the overweight athlete is to nap after eating. Their secret to gaining weight is to sleep for at least 4 hours after each meal. Although most Americanís donít take 4-hour naps, we typically return to our office chair with little activity.

Next on the weight gaining diet is to eat socially as much as possible. Believe it or not, according to leading researchers, a meal eaten with others can be at least forty percent larger and have thirty percent more calories and fat. The only way to combat this one is to limit eating when socializing and practice self-control.

Another component to the diet is what a Sumo wrestler drinks. Their drink of choice is beer Ė and lots of it. Alcohol increases cortisol levels helping wrestlers store more fat around their abdomen. That gives a whole new meaning to the term beer belly.

Finally, the wrestler overeats at night. The traditional meal for a Sumo wrestler is a stew, called Chanko-nabe, which is made up of a meat, rice, and vegetables. Surprisingly, the stew is not high in fat. The key to their weight gain is the sheer volume of food they eat.

Once the final meal is eaten, the Sumo wrester hits the sack in order to store as much food as fat instead of storing it in the muscles and organs as nutrients. Similarly, most Americans also eat their largest meal late in the day with little time before going bed. If we donít go to sleep right away, we do the next best thing which typically includes a couch and a television.

Although this is normally where I would insert a powerful closing statement, I think the Sumo wrestler said it all.

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tara1970
Stats: 176/158/Happy@140/Ideal@128
WOE: CAD/One Meal A Day/Gluten Free
Wow, that's pretty shocking. In a good way. Thanks!!
Tara1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Interesting...hope I don't have nightmares visualizing these sumo wrestlers lol
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote