Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post

Life is about choices. Choose wisely or suffer the consequences.
This. This is EVERYthing.

(Note to self: I need to remember this.)
RyeBaby is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Boy, Isn't that the truth Rye and Tril.....
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dbzm5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July/2013
I've been keeping up with this thread. Tril I hope your tests result in a good outcome. I will keep you in my prayers.
dbzm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Thank you, dbzm5! Day 17... today is the first day that I've felt like might be turning a corner on this thing. I actually walked to my mailbox and back. All tests (there have been MANY) have come back "normal". I saw a neurologist and he has no clue. More tests to come. I may never know.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Well hopefully no news is good news in this case! I'm sure you would like some answers from all the testing tho.
Your attitude is admirable! I will keep you in my prayers! People like you who are so knowledgeable and helpful are needed on this forum. I like the way you give advice...always putting a kind and positive spin on it. Thanks for being here.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Awww. Thanks. I just try to say stuff how I would want it said to me... while still being helpful. Tough love only works if you're not mean, too. LOL
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you, dbzm5! Day 17... today is the first day that I've felt like might be turning a corner on this thing. I actually walked to my mailbox and back. All tests (there have been MANY) have come back "normal". I saw a neurologist and he has no clue. More tests to come. I may never know.
Yea Trill, That's great news!!!
I'm so glad you're doing well now.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Ryebaby, How is your WOE going?

DBZM5....Welcome!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Meme!
I mostly lurk on this forum...gathering tips tricks and recipes! It took me a year to lose most of my weight. The last 10 took forever! Now I battle with maintaining which often feels harder! I know I will never be able to eat like I used to and that's okay. I would be lying if I said I dont struggle at times!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Losing it is the easy part...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Haha..yes losing was more fun too! The reward of seeing that number go down!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Losing is rewarding. You do the work, you earn the rewards. When you're losing people are supportive. You get positive (mostly) attention for losing weight. You get new clothes. You get new self esteem. You feel empowered. And then... what? You're still doing THE SAME WORK to maintain your weight loss that it took to lose it. By the time you reach your goal weight that's what you can eat. You can't eat more or you gain. You have to learn to deal with the scale differently. You have to accept that a "stay the same" is JUST as important and successful as a "loss" each week where before a "stay the same" certainly didn't FEEL good. And it doesn't take long for people to stop noticing... so no more kudos, no more OMG you look SO GOOD comments. You get NADA except from the rare person who thinks to compliment you on maintaining your loss. And then.. you stop getting that thrill when you try something on and IT FITS AGAIN. Yes, all your clothes are smaller.... and it feels wonderful... but that thrill that fueled your desire to keep working at it is gone. But there's still a lifetime of work to do.

In my mind, it's not surprising that people gain the weight back. It's AMAZING when someone doesn't. And that is the reason why, IMHO, that life long weight loss maintenance takes multiple attempts. And also why everyone who gains it back needs to lose it again.... and again... and again. Do NOT give up. Because it only takes that magical ONE time for it to be YOUR LAST TIME. Eventually, we ALL can "get it".
Old 08-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Excellent post Tril!

Yes all the good stuff that getting to goal goes away real quick. If the buddies you've been posting with are not yet where you are you kind of get ignored or you don't really fit with them any more.

I belonged to a different forum and felt like I didn't fit in with the group I had been posting with. They stopped responding to my posts and I felt like kind of a jerk posting my success while they were still struggling. I couldn't post my food either..it was way above what they could have. I felt like I didn't belong anymore.

I stayed and did the cheer leader thing. 3 months went by and they started trying new diet plans...things that promised to be "quick and easy" We'll I'm an Atkins girl. Sometimes it's really slow but it works and I'm never hungry and I don't feel deprived. No pill or shake can give you long term success IMO.
I still check in on them and consider them my friends...but it's not the same.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Agreed. On every thing you said. I'm on several forums... each for different reasons. Here I'm just a member. On another I'm an administrator. I also have one that I started so I do everything (and then some) on that one. I come here for support. I help with managing the one I'm an admin on, a liaison between the members and the owner (I was a member there while losing years and years ago and went from moderator to admin). The one I have I started to support others. We were part of a forum that shut down. I rounded up all the members I could find before it finally got shut down permanently and created a new home for everyone. Now we're a very small private group. It's like family.

As you change your relationship with others will change... in real life and on forums. You'll find a lot less sympathy for your struggles staying at goal than you got getting there, that's for sure!!! And you'll take on a helper role... and be expected to not NEED support. Another reason people regain, I think.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

This is so true. I have to be careful and be very sure on my advice tho! What worked for me doesn't mean it will automatically work for others. I can't tell others how to have patience and willpower...that's something they have to learn for themselves.
I think you give wonderful advice and in a positive spirit! See...You are teaching me things! I am learning from your posts. I hope to have your confidence someday.

How are you feeling btw?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Thanks... it comes with age and experience. LOL

I feel awful. Sure wish I could find out what's wrong with me. It will be three weeks on Saturday. The neurologist said maybe it's viral. I told him that's doctor code for I have no idea. So I go for another MRI on Tuesday... this one of my C-spine. He'll look at it but he said if it's normal that I really don't need to see him again. Uh, gee, thanks. So then I said, okay then it's back to the couch for me since I can't function like this. It's all I can do to let the dog out a couple times a day. Not fun. All my hopes are set on the MRI. Don't know where to go from there.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Trill, I thought you were feeling better.
Maybe you should see a Dr. of Internal Medicine?
Maybe call one first and tell them your symptoms first to see if they are the right way to go?
You haven't been bit by a tick any time recently, have you?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

I'm keeping you in my prayers Tril.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

One of the first tests my doc ran was Lyme and it was negative. They've ruled out stroke, brain tumor, heart disease and MS. I've given blood 5 times. I've seen several doctors including a neurologist. One more MRI next week scheduled. If that shows nothing I'm headed back to my dr to insist they keep looking and send me to someone else. 3 weeks tomorrow since this started. I'm sick of feeling sick!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Hey Ryebaby, How is your WOE going?
Hi Meme, going fine. Busy! I'm losing very slowly but I'm losing steadily. I'd do better if I skipped the wine but we have been doing some pay-back entertaining. I keep the food honest LC though.

We have returned to our old stomping grounds after having moved away for 12 years and we have been reconnecting with old friends.

One more dinner "party" Saturday and then we're pretty much caught up with our social obligations. We're taking the kids to the rodeo and then having them for dinner. Doing the Greek dinner: Chicken souvlaki, sauteed spinach, Greek salad with Kalamata olives and feta.

Tonight is "welcome new residents" at our Del Webb community clubhouse... definitely need to go to that, our street is the last one to move in and I want to meet our new neighbors...I'll only have one glass of wine.

It's our social life that gets our waistlines in trouble.

How about you Meme?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
One of the first tests my doc ran was Lyme and it was negative. They've ruled out stroke, brain tumor, heart disease and MS. I've given blood 5 times. I've seen several doctors including a neurologist. One more MRI next week scheduled. If that shows nothing I'm headed back to my dr to insist they keep looking and send me to someone else. 3 weeks tomorrow since this started. I'm sick of feeling sick!!!
I would be too. This has to be so frustrating. Hangeth in there!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Trill,
It is frustrating when you're ill and Dr.s can't figure it out.
I was ill like that a couple of years ago and so weak and literally couldn't get out of bed for a couple of months, with severe abdominal pain, couldn't even stand up straight because of pain and almost couldn't walk into a Dr.s office and finally after the three Dr.s the Internist figured it out...
You will find the right Dr. Trill.
Many of the Dr.s these days just can't think outside of their specialty.

Rye, just finish all those social engagements and you'll be fine. You've been eating well so that's what matters and just be back in the saddle when the parties are over. But until then just keep the faith. Fun seeing old friends though!!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

"Many of the Dr.s these days just can't think outside of their specialty."

That's so true and exactly what I felt with the neurologist. The doctor I'm working with in my office is a DO. She seems very open to thinking outside the box. I'm going back to her if the MRI is yet another "normal". Not sure what to hope for. LOL In the end, it is what it is... I just have to find the right person who can figure it out.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Tril, Is there anything you might have been exposed to like pesticides?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

I thought of that... I've said that I feel like I've been poisoned by something toxic. Can't imagine what it could possibly be, though. My dh eats and drinks the same things I do and he's fine. I haven't been anywhere to get exposed.

The strange part is that my symptoms wane and then surge again. Walking makes it all worse. Sitting up too long does, too.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #146
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Tril, any news reports of West Nile Virus up your way? It's pretty common in the summer here in Texas.
A lot of your symptoms sound like WNV:
West Nile virus Symptoms - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
"Many of the Dr.s these days just can't think outside of their specialty."

That's so true and exactly what I felt with the neurologist. The doctor I'm working with in my office is a DO. She seems very open to thinking outside the box. I'm going back to her if the MRI is yet another "normal". Not sure what to hope for. LOL In the end, it is what it is... I just have to find the right person who can figure it out.
Tril, Maybe you should just go back to the DO now to save time and do the MRI with the other Dr. too? West Nile does sound like your symptoms...
Have you done any exterminating in your house recently?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Not that I know of... none of my tests showed any signs of infection, either. They looked for inflammation, white blood cell count, etc. All normal. No fever. Headache was a migraine (neuro confirmed). I had an MRI of my brain with and w/o contrast... showed no swelling or infection. All normal there.

I don't know. Maybe the neck MRI will show nerve impingement or disc disease. Since my symptoms are in my upper body if it IS spine related it's cervical. We'll see. Just beyond grateful that I don't have pain with this.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

What about chiropractic?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Yeah... if the C-spine MRI doesn't show something I think that's something I need to consider. They do xrays, right? I certainly don't want someone adjusting my spine if that's where this is coming from, ya know? I wish I had one I trusted already.