Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovemygrands
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restarted 5-5-14 at 192 pounds
Question on restarting Atkins - sloooow

Hello! I am 66 years old and much overweight (some due to health issues and some due to overeating and laziness). I was on Atkins a couple of times, loved it and lost weight. I have always lost 5-7 pounds during first week and then a pound or so every day thereafter. This time I started May 5 at 192 pounds. Have been very careful to stick to induction rules. The only thing I am doing different is I started a walking program. Due to surgeries (oh, and that laziness thing) I have been walking zero for the past four years. First day could barely get to the end of the street and now walking every day at least two miles (of course, it takes me about three times to get that two miles in.) Still can't quite believe I am walking every day. Now, to the problem. I am not losing weight. I lost two pounds first week and then have been on 190 ever since. Is it possible the walking is keeping me from losing? I have noticed my pants are looser. Didn't mean to write a book. I was on this board a few years ago and it really helped me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't walking would be a problem. I think it just takes time for some bodies to adjust. Good that your pants are looser. I'd say just stick with what you are doing, as it has really not been that long. Others may have other ideas.

One of the things I've learned hereabouts recently is to not over do the protein.
Maybe you could post some menus just for the heck of it.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the reply. I am eating eggs breakfast, meat w/ broccoli or cabbage for lunch and usually protein shake at night. The shakes I am making now are Designers Whey chocolate. I only add water, ice & two packets of Sweet n Low and sometimes splash of heavy whipping cream. One scoop has 6 gram carb less 3 fiber gram. If I get hungry at night might eat a piece of chicken or ham or another shake.
Also, have checked strips and went in ketosis 2nd day and every day since.
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds to me like you are doing just right (as you said).
I'd say give it more time.
I lose very very slowly (I am in my sixties, too), but the weight drops eventually.
My view is that I am going to continue eating this way into the foreseeable future, so I just accept slow losses; they add up.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

What finally got me motivated is that our children are taking us to Disneyland in September. This has been a lifelong dream of mine that I had decided wasn't going to happen. As thrilled as I was, I knew I could not walk around there, plus the San Diego Zoo, etc. That is why I started trying to walk. I want to see and do every single thing possible and be able to keep up with my grandchildren. After I walked three days in a row I decided I would attempt Atkins again. I am so glad I made that decision. I feel much better overall.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/194/160
WOE: LCHF
Hi Meeme,

Welcome home. You'll feel ten years younger in no time eating the right LC foods. Keep up your positive attitude and keep your eyes on the prize. And wear comfortable shoes!
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Louella
Stats: 327/224/179 5'10" 43 y/o
WOE: Atkins '72 - Started on 6/26/14 @ 235 lbs
Start Date: June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrands View Post
Hello! I am 66 years old and much overweight (some due to health issues and some due to overeating and laziness). I was on Atkins a couple of times, loved it and lost weight. I have always lost 5-7 pounds during first week and then a pound or so every day thereafter. This time I started May 5 at 192 pounds. Have been very careful to stick to induction rules. The only thing I am doing different is I started a walking program. Due to surgeries (oh, and that laziness thing) I have been walking zero for the past four years. First day could barely get to the end of the street and now walking every day at least two miles (of course, it takes me about three times to get that two miles in.) Still can't quite believe I am walking every day. Now, to the problem. I am not losing weight. I lost two pounds first week and then have been on 190 ever since. Is it possible the walking is keeping me from losing? I have noticed my pants are looser. Didn't mean to write a book. I was on this board a few years ago and it really helped me. Thanks.
Hi! Congratulations on getting back into the program and for taking up walking!!! You inspire me, for sure, because I can't seem to get myself to step foot outside the door... As for feeling like you're not losing but your pants feeling looser, it's very possible you're losing fat and gaining muscle! I went in for a check up a few years ago and got my body fat percentage measured. Turned out I had very little body fat even though I weighed 202 lbs! Granted I am 5'10", but apparently I'm also "large boned" and naturally muscular. But the excess skin from my weight loss kinda made me feel like I had all of this extra fat just hanging around... I was told I was actually good at the weight I was but if I wanted to lose, I shouldn't go under 175. Even when I was at 183, people said I had that "sunken" look... Point is, our bodies are all so different. If you feel good and you feel healthy, just keep doing what you're doing because it sounds like you're doing great!
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chyrie
Stats: 214/198/115
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 6/14/2014
Here's a thought...are you sure you're eating enough fat? I would up the fat amounts. (I used to add macadamia nut oil (or olive oil when I was out) to my low carb shakes. Maybe try to cut the sweetener or move to stevia to sweeten? (sweetener can effect weight loss)
Chyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Still on track

I am still walking and sticking to the low carb. Scale has not moved a lot but I am down about 10 pounds. It just doesn't seem like a lot for two months of work. I tell my grandkids not to whine and that's what I'm doing. I just have to come to terms with it is going to be much slower this time around. I have never been out of ketosis, so that's a good thing. When I did this before that was the problem I had.

The walking has helped me so much mentally. I work at home typing court transcripts so I was in a rut of never getting out of the house. Just sitting for sometimes 12-14 hours a day. Still typing, but now I get up and walk about three times a day to get those three miles in.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Louella
Stats: 327/224/179 5'10" 43 y/o
WOE: Atkins '72 - Started on 6/26/14 @ 235 lbs
Start Date: June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrands View Post
I am still walking and sticking to the low carb. Scale has not moved a lot but I am down about 10 pounds. It just doesn't seem like a lot for two months of work. I tell my grandkids not to whine and that's what I'm doing. I just have to come to terms with it is going to be much slower this time around. I have never been out of ketosis, so that's a good thing. When I did this before that was the problem I had.

The walking has helped me so much mentally. I work at home typing court transcripts so I was in a rut of never getting out of the house. Just sitting for sometimes 12-14 hours a day. Still typing, but now I get up and walk about three times a day to get those three miles in.

Thanks for all your help.
Yay!!! Good for you! 10 lbs is NOTHING to balk at! I keep watching the scale go up and down to where after almost two weeks in, as of yesterday I was 5 lbs heavier than when I started... So I decided to go allllll the way back and do level 1 of Atkins '72 instead. It's such an easy plan, I made it through the first day without feeling hungry and cheating and today am down two pounds already! I'm going to stick with this until I at least get down to my midway goal of 200 lbs. Keep up the great work!!!
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/201/160
Start Date: 6/18/14
I'm just curious if you have tried eating a meal at night instead of the shakes? Try it for a week or two and see what happens. I'm not saying the shakes are the problem, but if it were me I would want to know for sure.
Slinky is online now   Reply With Quote