Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thewife
Stats: 206/191/147?
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: April 26, 2014 WW b4 that
New with questions

Hi everyone. I did Weight Watchers without results for a month before finding you. WW is my usual way of eating but after rejoining for the 22nd time, and with no results I knew I needed a change. So I read the book and have been reading here. Induction ended Saturday and I lost 6 lbs. Plus the 2 I lost on WW.

I keep gaining and losing the same pound. I will post a menu
2 scrambled eggs
1 large disk sausage patty
1 tomato

Lunch is salad with olive oil and vinegar or ranch or blue cheese dressing sometimes tuna. Always green olives and today I had a mini pepper in it plus goat cheese.

Snacks. I like cheese sticks and pepperoni and or Pork rinds

I do imbibe in coffee and spenda and I enjoy a can of diet vernors. Yesterday I added walnuts to my regime because I wanted to ease off induction.

I'm afraid to add fruit.

My goal is to lose 50 lbs and I am currently at 197. I am 49 years old.

Do you think my menu is good? I work 12 hours so I don't typically I don't eat dinner. Calories go from 1200 to 1800 as a range for me. Any advice?
thewife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
First of all, welcome!!! And congrats on your successful Induction!

You should know that it's VERY common for people to not lose week 3 and/or week 4. VERY common. It's like the body needs to adjust before it continues. So hang in there. What you're experiencing is normal!

You menu looks alright... but there's room for improvement. You might need to watch the cheese... no more than 3 or 4 ounces a day. Measure it! I think you need more meat. I don't see any. Tuna "sometimes" isn't enough. Meat protein is the basis of your menu... with added fat and a small amount of carbs from non starchy vegetables. When you transition to OWL you add 5 net grams from more vegetables first. Not nuts. So instead of 20 net gram you should be eating 25 per day... the extra from more veggies. After that we often see successful addition of berries (again, just 5 net grams carb per day). Many low carbers have trouble adding nuts. Save them for later on if you're not losing now.

Finally... how much water are you drinking? You didn't mention it. It's CRITICAL for weight loss.

Are you counting carbs? I see you're tracking calories (no necessary, but good information if you're stalled... which you're not). Are you tracking carbs???
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Tomato is a fruit, so be careful there.
I love homegrown tomatoes but don't eat them when eating at inducation levels.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

True... tomatoes are on the Atkins induction list, though. You can have a little. 1/4 cup is 4.3 net grams. That's not a lot of tomato!

On the menu posted above it's the only veggie other than salad... so it's probably ok. This is where measuring your servings is SO important. An extra half cup of tomato a day is nearly 50% over your daily allotment.

Good call, Patience.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thewife
Stats: 206/191/147?
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: April 26, 2014 WW b4 that
thank you

Thank you both for your help. I have been eating tomatos everyday! I guess they are ok now that I am trying to ease into OWL. I drink at least 3 16 oz bottles of water a day. Exercise is nominal.

Ok, so cut out the nuts and watch the cheese. Drink more water. Tomatos are more carbs than I thought. On induction I averaged 15 net carbs. Thanks again. I'll be around.
thewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

At this point you really should be weighing/measuring everything you eat that has carbs in it... and keeping track of it. You can't guesstimate it. If you didn't know that tomatoes are higher carb then it's really critical for you to learn the carb counts in everything you eat. You don't have to do it forever, but you do have to do it.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarah W
Stats: 139/120
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
At this point you really should be weighing/measuring everything you eat that has carbs in it... and keeping track of it. You can't guesstimate it. If you didn't know that tomatoes are higher carb then it's really critical for you to learn the carb counts in everything you eat. You don't have to do it forever, but you do have to do it.
This. I've found that people underestimate how much of something they are eating. You can get a scale at BBB and while it is a pain in the beginning, you can easily get into the habit of measuring everything.
Sarah W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
This. I've found that people underestimate how much of something they are eating. You can get a scale at BBB and while it is a pain in the beginning, you can easily get into the habit of measuring everything.
yep I have to agree... people "eye ball" their food and some have very LARGE "eye balls" if you know what I mean. I weigh/measure everything... I won't eat it unless I know carb count, kcal count (cause that's what I'm into) and amount, of course it has to be on the "legal" LC food list. Weighing/measuring carb-y food is the only way to truly be successful in the LC WOE journey.

Wishing you heartfelt success on your personal LC WOE journeys!

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-25-2014 at 04:54 AM..
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
plan 72 and this...I was on the 1972 but just cant give up having one veg at dinner...I have a 9 year old and he eats very healthy..loves vegges...I really can't justify not having to answer the question of "mommy, why are you not eating the broccoli?"
I told the 72 board that I may have to switch...we just moved and all of my books are in the garage in boxes till the house is done (dec)
I know the guidelines...couple questions

don't like water..is watered down crystal light ok
will do 0 carb for breakfast and lunch and a non starch veg for dinner
I am very knowledgeable of the glycemic index ect..
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
plan 72 and this...I was on the 1972 but just cant give up having one veg at dinner...I have a 9 year old and he eats very healthy..loves vegges...I really can't justify not having to answer the question of "mommy, why are you not eating the broccoli?"
I told the 72 board that I may have to switch...we just moved and all of my books are in the garage in boxes till the house is done (dec)
I know the guidelines...couple questions

don't like water..is watered down crystal light ok
will do 0 carb for breakfast and lunch and a non starch veg for dinner
I am very knowledgeable of the glycemic index ect..
That's the beauty of LC WOE, you have to know what you are willing to sacrifice and what you are not -- add your veggies with the understanding that you may not lose very quickly, have stalls or even gains until you figure out which veggies work and don't work for you. IMHO, I'd personally would stick with only green veggies (they are usually lower in carbs then the other colors -- check your nutrition carb/calorie counters for info). But I would NEVER do the sugar in a skin veggies: things like potato or corn.

I do artificial sweeteners (Crystal Light has them) and they don't affect me, some people are affected by them. I would try it and see how you react to them.

Wishing you success in your personal LC WOE journey, ejw!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
If I do have a veggie...only at dinner....it will be either the salad or a green veggie...I know all about the glycemic index and the starchy veggs...I do love them but I just don't love them enough to eat them...the green veggies, trying to pick ones with the most fiber...broccoli, collards, spinach...all cooked with oil to get the fats in...thanks for in help
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw55 View Post
If I do have a veggie...only at dinner....it will be either the salad or a green veggie...I know all about the glycemic index and the starchy veggs...I do love them but I just don't love them enough to eat them...the green veggies, trying to pick ones with the most fiber...broccoli, collards, spinach...all cooked with oil to get the fats in...thanks for in help
I the starchy veggies too -- too much in fact, that's what got me in this mess to being with. Actual, in all honesty -- there's not much I wouldn't eat a year ago... what a difference a year makes!

And you're welcome!!!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
Stats: 274/242/175
WOE: atkins
Start Date: may 2014
I measure out my pecans everyday. Having a kitchen scale with different units of measure is invaluable. Got mine at target for $40.
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCandproud View Post
I measure out my pecans everyday. Having a kitchen scale with different units of measure is invaluable. Got mine at target for $40.
I bought a lovely one on amazon for under $20.

FYI: 1 oz pecans have 202 kcals and 3.8 carbs