Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Hi, I'm Maggie... and I need some buddies on here! Want to encourage each other? :) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/828366-hi-im-maggie-i-need-some-buddies-here-want-encourage-each-other.html)

meltingmaggie 04-16-2014 08:44 PM

Hi, I'm Maggie... and I need some buddies on here! Want to encourage each other? :)

Hi there! Yep, my name is Maggie. I'm a 30-year-old wife and mother to a 4-year-old in Wisconsin. I've done Atkins a few times since I was 14, but fell off because I couldn't rid myself of that "diet" mentality. Well, my weight has ballooned since then. I've yo-yo'd a lot and am currently at my highest weight.

Honestly, I'm almost scared to hope right now, but something within me REFUSES to give up. I can't begin to describe the countless programs I have tried and failed. Food is definitely an addiction for me. Even the little things in life from trying to tie my own shoes is a huge struggle for me right now.

Today I was thinking about why I'm not motivated and couldn't help but think of the crazy brain fog I've been under lately (it too is also the worst I can remember). I've also been so tired I just want to sleep all day which is impossible with a preschooler. My mind went back to Atkins. SUGAR. Omiword, it really was all true. A few years back I went through the accursed "Atkins Flu" for 2 1/2 weeks. It was HELL, but I finally came to I had never felt more clear-headed in my life. Unfortunately I started buying into the low-fat, low-cal "healthier" WOE and lost that lovin' feelin'... whoa-o-o-o ;)

I've decided to DIVE into the Atkins induction tomorrow. I'm kind of freaked out. Scared to hope. Started to think that maybe this really is my life. Most people know me to be really social and out-there and I am, but there's also the other side of me, the side that's broken and trying to sort stuff out. I'm pursuing my bachelors in exercise science right now and that's a total leap of faith, but God keeps challenging me to see beyond my present circumstance and into the future. Oh, the madness, y'all! I'm sitting next to "Bif" in my class and he's looking at me like I got lost while looking for the vending machines ;) There's an athlete hiding in here- she just hasn't been able to pop out for several years.

I'm looking to make some friends on here so we can encourage each other! I don't want to do this journey alone and although my sweet husband is very supportive, he's never been anything less than thin (and dead sexy! lol) his entire life so he doesn't quite "get it". Hoping to hear back from some peeps, hear about your background, start throwing high-fives, all that jazz ;) Thanks for reading my novel. Have a great night! Ttys! :cool:

Tril 04-17-2014 05:08 AM

Welcome, Maggie!!!

Everyone here "gets it". :) Just post... you will get buddies by the dozens.

meltingmaggie 04-17-2014 07:12 AM

Thanks Tril! :up:

Tril 04-17-2014 09:03 AM

Love your name, BTW!

meltingmaggie 04-17-2014 10:17 AM

Thank you! :D

Just Jo 04-18-2014 06:25 PM

:jumpjoy: Hey Maggie :welcome: to the LC WOE Party!

There are many wonderful experienced people here that have kept off the weight for years who are willing to help and support us in this journey. They are truly inspiring!

So what version of Atkins are you doing?

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

meltingmaggie 04-20-2014 08:15 PM

Hi Just Jo! Thank you so for the welcome! I'm not sure what version of Atkins I'm doing. The book I've been reading is yellowed with age. I'll have to check when I get home. :confused:

Just Jo 04-21-2014 01:53 AM

:hiya: Maggie,

LOL @ yellow pages. I love A '72 it's worked 100% of the time for me -- it's pretty basic with real food and none of the pre-packaged LC foods that newer versions of Atkins advertise. Which ever version you decide upon, there's support for it here!

:jumpjoy: I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“This WOE is not a diet,

Tril 04-21-2014 03:14 AM

TOTALLY agree on the real food/not processed food... no matter which version (or other diet) of Atkins I don't believe the pre-packaged lc "food" is beneficial. Not to your weight loss and certainly not to your health. Skip the low carb frankenfoods. Eat real food!

meltingmaggie 04-21-2014 07:52 AM

Thanks for the tip! I really want to keep my plan as "whole foods" as possible. Did some recent reading that some of the sugar alcohols in bars and shakes stall weight loss and omigoodness I cannot afford any discouragement right now.

Tril 04-21-2014 01:20 PM

Manufacturers will tell you that sugar alcohols (which are CARBOHYDRATE) are not "absorbed" and therefore do not trigger a release of insulin AND that we don't need to count them. BUT, real life low carb people know better. Diabetics who test after eating SA know better. This is why they often stall weight loss.

A safe rule of thumb is to count half of the sugar alcohol carbs as net grams carb. So that "low carb" bar just became an OMG-I-CAN'T-EAT-THAT bar. ;)

meltingmaggie 04-21-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16884354)

A safe rule of thumb is to count half of the sugar alcohol carbs as net grams carb. So that "low carb" bar just became an OMG-I-CAN'T-EAT-THAT bar. ;)

:rofl: LOL Tril! Thanks for the heads up! I really appreciate the info!

Just Jo 04-23-2014 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16884354)
Manufacturers will tell you that sugar alcohols (which are CARBOHYDRATE) are not "absorbed" and therefore do not trigger a release of insulin AND that we don't need to count them. BUT, real life low carb people know better. Diabetics who test after eating SA know better. This is why they often stall weight loss.

:goodpost: Holy Hannah Tril -- that is exactly what I try to tell some people (those net carb counters) but you say it so much more eloquently then I ever do. :D

I am so carb-intolerant that I have to control actual carbs -- but I am good with it (look at my results :D).

“This WOE is not a diet,

Tril 04-23-2014 04:04 AM

Jo, you've done GREAT!!! You must be having fun buying new smaller clothes. :)

Just Jo 04-24-2014 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16886156)
Jo, you've done GREAT!!! You must be having fun buying new smaller clothes. :)

It's really weird, Tril. Lemme explain:

I don't see myself as thin -- now I wear a size 5 jr pant/jeans and med top before I wore 24 pants/jeans and 3XL or 4XL top at 250lbs.

Went shopping with my DD couple of weeks ago and she kept pulling clothes out of my hands, saying you don't have to hide your curves and you don't wear THAT size... I hold up the clothes I can wear now and I think to myself -- never gonna get my fat behind in those, and amazingly I do... weird..

In my mind's eye, I still see "Fat Jo".

I don't have a good self body image (not meaning I am headed toward an eating disorder) but I can't picture "Thin Jo" in my head...

Did/do you experience this, Tril??

“This WOE is not a diet,

Tril 04-24-2014 03:58 AM

ABSOLUTELY. You are not weird. Your body loses weight LONG (really LONG) before your head does. I still do that thing in my mind where I look at my jeans and think... OMG, the dryer must have shrunk them because NO WAY will my butt fit in these. And then it does. And I'm years into this at this point. Years. I wonder if it ever goes away. LOL I think the best you can do is just accept that this disconnect between your inner person and your body is ok. It just is. It's a product of having once been obese. I still take sizes into the dressing room that are too big... I've learned to take a range of sizes. If you like a dress, bring 3 sizes... for you, a 3/5/7, or, if you're struggling with this a lot, 5/7/9. Start with the biggest size and work your way down as you try them on. Do this often, whether you plan to buy anything or not. I believe it helps your "fat head syndrome".

I wonder, at times, if FHS is the real reason so many people regain the weight they lost. The brain leads the body... there are several sayings about this like "If you believe it you can become it." and "If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right."

Use your thoughts to your advantage. Accept that FHS is real. And it's ok. Accept it but don't let it rule you. I usually say something to myself like, "Huh. There it is again." I shake my head, laugh at myself and move on. You have to learn to ignore "Fat Jo" thoughts. Think them, but do not give them any power.

Hope this helps....

Berta48 04-24-2014 10:25 PM

Hello
I am on my 2nd week of Atkins 72 I lost 6 lbs the first week.But was up one lb today.Hoping to be down tomorrow.

I did not know we were not to count net carbs? That is how I have been doing! BUT I have only eaten meat & lettuce with LC dressing so it shouldn't matter.But I was all ramped up and searching LC recipes for later on down the road.But now I'll have to re think it all geeze.

I have looked and looked for the Atkins 72 book and can not find it online.Any suggestions as to where I can buy one?
I printed the rules off the thread of Atkins 72 anyone doing it thread but would really like the book.
I did find one for the year of 78 would that be any good to buy?

Just Jo 04-25-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16887352)
If you believe it you can become it." and "If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right."

You have to learn to ignore "Fat Jo" thoughts. Think them, but do not give them any power.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the insight Tril -- FHS (Fat Head Syndrome) I like it!! I'm a school teacher (I teach Family & Consumer Sciences, Technology/Computers, Guitar and whatever else my principal needs LOL :D) and I encourage my students with those exact quotes. I live my life by the power of positive thinking as well as self-fulfilling prophecies and I believe that attitude is EVERYTHING! :)

“This WOE is not a diet,

Just Jo 04-25-2014 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berta48 (Post 16888424)
Hello
I am on my 2nd week of Atkins 72 I lost 6 lbs the first week.But was up one lb today.Hoping to be down tomorrow.

I did not know we were not to count net carbs? That is how I have been doing! BUT I have only eaten meat & lettuce with LC dressing so it shouldn't matter.But I was all ramped up and searching LC recipes for later on down the road.But now I'll have to re think it all geeze.

I have looked and looked for the Atkins 72 book and can not find it online.Any suggestions as to where I can buy one?
I printed the rules off the thread of Atkins 72 anyone doing it thread but would really like the book.
I did find one for the year of 78 would that be any good to buy?

Hey Berta!! :hiya: You can find some on amazon used. Did you ask MtherGoos to see if it's posted anywhere on here -- she's the one who would probably know :)???

“This WOE is not a diet,

Tril 04-25-2014 06:20 AM

Check out the book section of your local Goodwill store. I find a LOT of books there! It's my "go to" place when I want something out of date. It may take a couple of visits but I always find it. Be sure you know what the cover/binder looks like so you can just scan the shelves. If the book is red, for example... scan for anything red. You don't have to read all of the titles!

ETA: Amazon has the 1972 edition in paperback for around $4.

Berta48 04-25-2014 09:24 AM

Thanks Ladies
Amazon is where I looked. I saw one for 65.00:eek: What does it look like?

Tril 04-25-2014 12:36 PM

Try searching for this on Amazon...

Dr.Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever (Paperback)

Used start at a penny.

Berta48 04-25-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16889153)
Try searching for this on Amazon...

Dr.Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever (Paperback)

Used start at a penny.

Thank you :high5:
I was just coming here to say I purchased it on Amazon.There wasn't any the other day when I looked. Then today there was only only and I got it!!!:up:There were some for penny also but they stated they were marked in etc. I payed 13.00 with shipping & handleing but it's suppose to be new or in excellent condition.

If we choose cheese with zero carbs listed is there a limit each day? I am thinking someone said 4oz.I thought I would make some crackers from some cheese in the mocrowave I really like those made that way and gives me a crunchy snack.I have one more week of Induction.But am thinking I'll stay on it.The book I have says not to stay on Induction longer than 6 mos.

Tril 04-25-2014 05:17 PM

Current limit on cheese is 3 to 4 ounces a day. I don't know what the '72 version limit would be.

Berta48 04-25-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16889407)
Current limit on cheese is 3 to 4 ounces a day. I don't know what the '72 version limit would be.

I think there is none :dunno: but I don't eat it that much or often anyway. Thank you!!

I wonder where Melting Maggie is? She started this thread and hasn't been here???

Just Jo 04-26-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berta48 (Post 16889533)
I think there is none :dunno: but I don't eat it that much or often anyway. Thank you!!

I wonder where Melting Maggie is? She started this thread and hasn't been here???

Berta, A '72 cheese limit is no more than 4 oz per day and it never says that you can't stay on Induction Level 1 for more than 6 months. MtherGoos and I are prime examples. MG's been at Level 1 since she started over a year ago and I've been on it 10 months & 1 week. I am probably always going to be on Level 1 because I am THAT carb-intolerant as well as probably daily kcals of under 1500.

:D I was wondering the same thing about Maggie... MAGGIE where are You? :)

“This WOE is not a diet,

Berta48 04-26-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Jo (Post 16889615)
Berta, A '72 cheese limit is no more than 4 oz per day and it never says that you can't stay on Induction Level 1 for more than 6 months. MtherGoos and I are prime examples. MG's been at Level 1 since she started over a year ago and I've been on it 10 months & 1 week. I am probably always going to be on Level 1 because I am THAT carb-intolerant as well as probably daily kcals of under 1500.

:D I was wondering the same thing about Maggie... MAGGIE where are You? :)

“This WOE is not a diet,

I bought the 72 book so it will be here in a few weeks.Thanks for telling me I wasn't sure. So do you only eat meat,eggs, fats&cheese? I am wanting a few veggies.I haven't had any yet.Lettuce is ok but I like broccolli, cauliflower, spinach, cucumbrs, tomatoes. I wouldn't care if I had none of the starchy ones but I feel a person should have some vegetables??

Maybe I read that in the one Atkins wrote in 1992 book. I am trying to understand if he wrote the one in 72 and the one in 92 why the 92 wouldn't work just as well? I can understand why the new ones made over by someone other thn Dr. Atkins might not be so great.But written by the same man Is hard for me to understand why it doesn't work ? He did all the research and should know? Not trying to argue just trying to understand;):D

Just Jo 04-26-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berta48 (Post 16890016)
So do you only eat meat,eggs, fats&cheese? I am wanting a few veggies.I haven't had any yet.Lettuce is ok but I like broccolli, cauliflower, spinach, cucumbrs, tomatoes. I wouldn't care if I had none of the starchy ones but I feel a person should have some vegetables??

Maybe I read that in the one Atkins wrote in 1992 book. I am trying to understand if he wrote the one in 72 and the one in 92 why the 92 wouldn't work just as well? I can understand why the new ones made over by someone other thn Dr. Atkins might not be so great.But written by the same man Is hard for me to understand why it doesn't work ? He did all the research and should know? Not trying to argue just trying to understand;):D

I don't eat cheese/dairy or nuts (high in carbs actually for the little bit you can have) because they either stall me, make me crave carbs and I have "portion control" issues so I can't LIMIT myself -- easier to just SAY NO!! :D

I only eat meat & have a 6-8oz salad a day and eat no more than about 1200 kcals a day and 10-12 carbs a day. I will probably stay at that level forever since I haven't lost a lb in 8 days.

Berta the only level 1 Induction veggie you have on your list above is cucumbers. Here is the list of Level 1 Veggies from A '72:

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

I've never done A '92 since A '72 has ALWAYS worked for me 100% of the time. But any of the Atkins plans work if you follow the plan 100%. IMO you should only tweak it if you stall or gain weight.

“This WOE is not a diet,

Berta48 04-26-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Jo (Post 16890122)
I don't eat cheese/dairy or nuts (high in carbs actually for the little bit you can have) because they either stall me, make me crave carbs and I have "portion control" issues so I can't LIMIT myself -- easier to just SAY NO!! :D

I only eat meat & have a 6-8oz salad a day and eat no more than about 1200 kcals a day and 10-12 carbs a day. I will probably stay at that level forever since I haven't lost a lb in 8 days.

Berta the only level 1 Induction veggie you have on your list above is cucumbers. Here is the list of Level 1 Veggies from A '72:

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

I've never done A '92 since A '72 has ALWAYS worked for me 100% of the time. But any of the Atkins plans work if you follow the plan 100%. IMO you should only tweak it if you stall or gain weight.

“This WOE is not a diet,

What do you put in the salad?Or do you just eat lettuce? I don't miss bread or sweets really since I have my Rev.Rolls. and there are LC desserts a person can have. I plan on adding in a few veggies one of these days but not while I am on induction. I had my 4 oz of cheese tonight first time.I made it into crackers in microwave so shall she in the morning what happens.They say zero carbs on the pkg but for four oz there are probably some.Thanks again.

Just Jo 04-27-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berta48 (Post 16890346)
What do you put in the salad?Or do you just eat lettuce? I don't miss bread or sweets really since I have my Rev.Rolls. and there are LC desserts a person can have. I plan on adding in a few veggies one of these days but not while I am on induction. I had my 4 oz of cheese tonight first time.I made it into crackers in microwave so shall she in the morning what happens.They say zero carbs on the pkg but for four oz there are probably some.Thanks again.

Hey Berta!

For my salad I make my own Dijon Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing -- no carbs!

All cheese has carbs, usually less than 1 gram per ounce that's why A '72 tells you to limit it to 3-4 oz a day. Don't use the pre-shredded version because they dust it with a gluten product that keeps it from sticking together. Make sure it's real aged cheese, not cheese product like Kraft American or Velveeta (sp?) -- which are both pretty high in carbs.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”