Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #31
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Hey Berta!

For my salad I make my own Dijon Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing -- no carbs!

All cheese has carbs, usually less than 1 gram per ounce that's why A '72 tells you to limit it to 3-4 oz a day. Don't use the pre-shredded version because they dust it with a gluten product that keeps it from sticking together. Make sure it's real aged cheese, not cheese product like Kraft American or Velveeta (sp?) -- which are both pretty high in carbs.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
I was down .4 again today
If I Use American I use Delux it lower in carbs.But mosty I eat cheddasr on the block.
Have you heard of the EFGT diet? Eat Fat Get Thin Diet? I'm wondering the difference between that and Atkins is?. I was reading the thread last night ans they eat LC fruits & veggies.
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
A quick research... showed that it's a low carb, high fat diet. I don't think there are stages... and you don't work your way up in carbs. It's a way of eating low carb, high fat for life. Atkins doesn't do it that way. You start out that way... then transition to mod carb, mod fat as you reach your goal weight. In Maintenance (Atkins) you are no longer in ketosis... I think maybe you stay in ketosis with this other diet.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Have you heard of the EFGT diet? Eat Fat Get Thin Diet? I'm wondering the difference between that and Atkins is?. I was reading the thread last night ans they eat LC fruits & veggies.
Berta IMO, stick to one WOE at a time, give it a chance to work by following the plan as written for 2 or 3 months. A '72 or any of the Atkins WOE work if you follow the plan -- bouncing from one WOE to another isn't a good thing.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #34
Berta48

Thanks Tril.I was down .4 again today hoping for another drop in the a.m.

Quote:
Berta IMO, stick to one WOE at a time, give it a chance to work by following the plan as written for 2 or 3 months. A '72 or any of the Atkins WOE work if you follow the plan -- bouncing from one WOE to another isn't a good thing.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Not planning on switching was just curious about it. I am goining to start adding in a few LC veggies. I won't stick with this if i don't get a few.I know me, so I am trying it.My 2 weeks are almost up, so it should be ok at least some lettuce.The book says we are suppose to add 5gm a week back anyway!

Last edited by Berta48; 04-27-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The book says we are suppose to add 5gm a week back anyway!
Yep you have to make this work for you because it's supposed to be a life-long journey. Just monitor your progress and ask yourself the questions Dr. A said to ask yourself as you increase your carbs each week. I'm over here cheering you on Berta!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #36
Berta48

Quote:
Yep you have to make this work for you because it's supposed to be a life-long journey. Just monitor your progress and ask yourself the questions Dr. A said to ask yourself as you increase your carbs each week. I'm over here cheering you on Berta!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Thanks JO
I have been following the plan and eating nearly zero carbs but now today I was up 1.4 What is going on? I guess I just need to stop weighing in every day.Cause this is getting discouraging. Down Fri .2, down Sat .4, Down Sun.4 now today up 1.4 Is that normal?
My menu yesterday was......
Pork Ribs 1/2 rack with 1/2 c saurkraut no sugar.
SF Jello
Pork Rinds just a few
Coffee with coconut oil
1/4 or less of an avacado. ( I know there are some in that)

I am wondering if I might be metabolic resistant?The keto sticks never have turned for me just a few times at small.And it will be two weeks this Thursday

I know some say not to worry about the sticks but I do. I want DARK PURPLE

Last edited by Berta48; 04-28-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZEP1959
hi my name is debbie and i am just starting day 15 of atkins, in my first week i lost 4 pounds and in week 2 i lost 3 pounds so total 7, i am 5ft 4 and i now weight 162 pounds and i want to be 147 pounds so i need to loose 15 i think this will be slow due to having only 15 pounds to loose, i had the old atkins book which i have been following but i just purchased via amazon the new atkins new you book which i have not opened yet, it cost £3.99 which is very reasonable not sure what that is in dollars, i am going to bed early to read with a nice cup of hot chocolate, yes hot chocolate, i made it up myself, 1 tsp of 70%cocoa powder, 2tbs heavy cream, 1tsp splenda then just add hot water yum, its just like the real thing, im quite good at making recipes that taste like the real thing, last night i had hot choc and dipped an atkins endulge bar into it(coconut cream), oh the joy but drink and bar still under 3g carbs, and i must say my keto sticks are always purple, this is my only indulgence though, i am very strict all day carbs never go above 20 usually around 18/19, i shall carry on now till the end,, good luck to everybody and welcome maggie xxxxx
ZEP1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEP1959 View Post
hi my name is debbie and i am just starting day 15 of atkins, in my first week i lost 4 pounds and in week 2 i lost 3 pounds so total 7, i am 5ft 4 and i now weight 162 pounds and i want to be 147 pounds so i need to loose 15 i think this will be slow due to having only 15 pounds to loose, i had the old atkins book which i have been following but i just purchased via amazon the new atkins new you book which i have not opened yet, it cost £3.99 which is very reasonable not sure what that is in dollars, i am going to bed early to read with a nice cup of hot chocolate, yes hot chocolate, i made it up myself, 1 tsp of 70%cocoa powder, 2tbs heavy cream, 1tsp splenda then just add hot water yum, its just like the real thing, im quite good at making recipes that taste like the real thing, last night i had hot choc and dipped an atkins endulge bar into it(coconut cream), oh the joy but drink and bar still under 3g carbs, and i must say my keto sticks are always purple, this is my only indulgence though, i am very strict all day carbs never go above 20 usually around 18/19, i shall carry on now till the end,, good luck to everybody and welcome maggie xxxxx

Hope this journey works well for you. I started out on that book and switched to 72 plan as I gained 3lbs and ate 3000 cal the first day.
Everyone was telling me the 72 was the best to do.So I listened. This is my 2nd week and I jsut keep going up and down. But I think over all I h ave lost 6 lbs. Iwas on another plan prior though and had lot what I have lost like 40lbs. Then gained some back and now I'm trying this.

Be fprwarendmany will tell you not to eat the bars ,meals & shakes. But I don't understand why not
ANyone we all have to find what works for us.Best wishes to you on this journey.I wish I only had 15lbs to loose
Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
1/4 or less of an avacado. ( I know there are some in that)
Berta, I thought you were doing A '72 Induction Level 1? Cause if you are, avocado isn't one of the veggies. Did you know that 1 oz of has 2.4 grams of carbs and 1/4 of an avocado has probably close to 5 grams of carbs? You really should be weighing or measuring your "carby" foods -- that way you know for SURE how many carbs they have -- guessing never really works well.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

I guess Maggie is MIA... and she's the one that started this thread...

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

I tried to send her a PM but she hasn't been here long enough or posted enough to allow PM into her account. Once her account is "old enough" we can send her messages.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Be fprwarendmany will tell you not to eat the bars ,meals & shakes. But I don't understand why not.
Berta, have you ever seen the carb count on those things -- actual carbs not the NET carbs cause that's an entire different thing. It's all processed and with ingredients that IMHO, people doing LC WOE shouldn't even eat because it could do one of three things: 1) stall the weight loss, 2) cause you to gain weight and 3) cause you to crave those toxic poisonous carbs.

Case in point: Atkins Bacon Scrambled (basically a bacon and egg dish) 5 carbs and the ingredients include: Sugar, Soy, Corn Starch & Modified Food Starch -- bacon and eggs do not have carbs!

Atkins Peanut Butter Granola Bars: 18 carb g per bar and the ingredients include: sugars & sugar alcohols, Soy Nuggets, Whole Grain rolled oats, and a bunch of other unpronounceable ingredients. What the heck is a soy nugget?

I'd rather starve then eat those things.

“This WOE is not a Diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 04-29-2014 at 05:42 AM..
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Soy nuggets... texturized vegetable protein or TVP. It's made from the left over soybean pulp that's the byproduct of soybean oil production. It started as a way to make a profit from this mash... rather than just throw it away or use it as animal feed. You can make a lot more $ if you can get people to buy it and eat it.

Check out this book if you want to know (truth) more about the history of soy for human consumption.

The Whole Soy Story, by Kaayla T. Daniel.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #44
Berta48

Quote:
Berta, I thought you were doing A '72 Induction Level 1? Cause if you are, avocado isn't one of the veggies. Did you know that 1 oz of has 2.4 grams of carbs and 1/4 of an avocado has probably close to 5 grams of carbs? You really should be weighing or measuring your "carby" foods -- that way you know for SURE how many carbs they have -- guessing never really works well.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
We are allowed 20gms a day I thought? I have been reading the 1992 version of Atkins but so far I haven't read anything different than what is posted on the 72 home page? I was trying to up my fats. I was down .4 today.
I haven't recieved the 72 book I ordered yet.I have an Atkins carb counter book also that I use.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post

Check out this book if you want to know (truth) more about the history of soy for human consumption.

The Whole Soy Story, by Kaayla T. Daniel.
Thanks for the info on the book, Tril!!

YUCK about the soy nugget almost but not as bad as the pink slime that's the byproduct of beef production and they tell us is perfectly healthy to eat -- was it called pink slime? Ewwwwwwwwwww

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
We are allowed 20gms a day I thought? I have been reading the 1992 version of Atkins but so far I haven't read anything different than what is posted on the 72 home page? I was trying to up my fats. I was down .4 today.
I haven't recieved the 72 book I ordered yet.I have an Atkins carb counter book also that I use.
Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
NOTE: Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.

This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears. You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours. So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.

This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger. A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine. So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet.

Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One):

1. Don’t count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Every day, take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list:

Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”

Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, tea and diet colas, which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.

Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans-fat, oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

What happens after the first week’s diet?
Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes. I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.

Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.

How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.

The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…

The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

There you go, Berta!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

WOW... thanks for taking the time to put this here!!! It's been a long time since I read that.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
WOW... thanks for taking the time to put this here!!! It's been a long time since I read that.
Gotta love copy and paste. Like you, I've been doing A '72 so long it's second nature and I hadn't read in years. I've always done Induction Level 1 and been 100% successful but never finished the rest of the journey. But not this time. I REFUSE to REGAIN!!!.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I'm working on eliminating a recent gain. I sustained a compression fracture in my back this winter... 8 weeks of not moving (and have less control over my food!) left me with an uncomfortable weight gain. Because I'm still healing/recovery I'm not restricting my intake as much as I would ordinarily. So it's going to be slow for sure. I sure don't like it, though!!! It's adding insult to injury. Literally. I keep telling myself it could have been SO MUCH WORSE and then I'm thankful that I only have to deal with lingering back pain and a weight gain!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #50
Berta48

Thanks Jo
For taking the time to do that. I guess I have been fololowing the 92 program by Dr.Atkins then as he says 20gms. It has been working and my ketos have truned darker so I'm not going to switch mid stream, as long as it is working.It is really slow losing but I'm losing.Tomorrow is my two weeks which is what Induction is on that plan.SO I will see where I am at then.

I appreciate all you have done to help me, the encouragement alone helps keep me going. You and Tril and all the others here Thank you so very much!

Last edited by Berta48; 04-30-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jbeth
Stats: 247/233.6/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 28th, 2014
Hi all,

I am new here as well. I read Atkins New Diet Revolution 10+ years ago and lost weight on it. I actually maintained the loss without really trying for several years. But the last 5 years have been incredibly stressful, not to mention working late nights...and I have packed on pounds. Have tried other diets but find them hard to stick to. So now back to Atkins.

Thanks for posting that info on Atkins '72. I did not realize it was much more strict the first week. I am 2.5 weeks into it and have lost 13 lbs. But I started the first week eating up to 20 carbs per day (some days it was less, but it was at least 16 per day). However it has been working for me. I find it easy just to stay on the induction phase. I really don't want to add more carbs at this time...because I guess I am an all or nothing person. If I start eating carbs, I feel I won't be able to control the amount of carbs I'm eating...I'll just want more if I start. Does that make sense to anyone?

Anyway...I would love some encouragement and advice.

Thanks all.
jbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeth View Post
Hi all,

I am new here as well. I read Atkins New Diet Revolution 10+ years ago and lost weight on it. I actually maintained the loss without really trying for several years. But the last 5 years have been incredibly stressful, not to mention working late nights...and I have packed on pounds. Have tried other diets but find them hard to stick to. So now back to Atkins.

Thanks for posting that info on Atkins '72. I did not realize it was much more strict the first week. I am 2.5 weeks into it and have lost 13 lbs. But I started the first week eating up to 20 carbs per day (some days it was less, but it was at least 16 per day). However it has been working for me. I find it easy just to stay on the induction phase. I really don't want to add more carbs at this time...because I guess I am an all or nothing person. If I start eating carbs, I feel I won't be able to control the amount of carbs I'm eating...I'll just want more if I start. Does that make sense to anyone?

Anyway...I would love some encouragement and advice.

Thanks all.
Hey jbeth, HUGE on your losses so far -- you are rockin this WOE. This thread appears to be somewhat dead but we have a lovely thread just on doing A '72 and we'd love to have you join us there. Everyone is doing A '72 some with a little tweaking (like me -- I count kcals), but still the same basic plan.

Original Atkins 72 - Do you follow it? Part 2

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: may 2014
Hi Maggie! I'm new too! Welcome! I've been struggling with insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes since 25. I'm now 28 and this is the only way to eat for me. Within two days my fasting blood sugar was near normal and I broke up with chips and pasta ( very sad really.) Now I realize that I was addicted to starchy food. I'm now free! Can't wait to see your success!
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote