Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy
Stats: 215/198/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 21, 2014
How much fat is too much?

I've decided to make the switch from low fat to low carb because I'm tired of losing and regaining the same 5lbs over and over again. I have about 65lbs to lose and what I've been doing in the past obviously hasn't worked for me. So I'm trying to change my way of thinking. Lately I've done a lot of reading about low carb diets and they make sense to me.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Atkins induction. I've tried it for a couple of days but found it awfully restrictive (I also picked a pretty chaotic time to try it when I didn't have access to a kitchen due to renos - my bad. With proper planning I could probably manage it for a while). My feeling is that I would prefer a more liberal approach but would try induction if I needed to shake things up a bit. Other things I've read suggest that staying below 50 net carbs is sufficient for most people to see a weight loss, albeit a slower one. I'm okay with that.

I've started eating more meat, cutting back on fruit and avoiding sweets and starches like bread, rice, pasta and so on. I've also ditched everything "low fat" that I used to eat. Already I'm finding I'm not ravenously hungry the way I used to be, so that's encouraging. But I'm struggling with the mental shift. All my life I've been taught that low fat is the way to go. I've read up on it and I understand now that fat isn't the enemy. But knowing it and feeling okay about it are two very different things! I'm struggling with it.

Are there suggested guidelines as to how much fat is "too much" (both from a weight loss and health perspective) or is it a matter of simply watching the scale to make sure weight loss doesn't stall? I've been getting fat through meat, cream and cheese, and I often mix a spoonful of coconut oil into my tea. Do I need to be keeping track of how much fat I'm eating? I love the idea that all I need to pay attention to is net carbs...if that's correct. I'm so afraid of doing this wrong and gaining.

I suppose what I'm really asking is what you experts eat in a typical day, or if you see that I'm making any glaring errors. I've read the sample menus and such that Atkins provides, but I'm still doubting myself and am afraid I'm overdoing it. Hopefully with time this way of eating will become second nature instead of feeling so wrong!

Last edited by Happy; 04-16-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
It's pretty simple really... you limited your carbs, get the proper amount of protein and then, the rest is fat! Count your net carbs... determine your protein needs (there are many online resources for this but you don't have to be super particular, just get enough to satisfy your hunger) and then forget about the fat. This works for Induction. Later on, as you add more carbs you'll need to balance it... that requires cutting back on something else (protein and/or fat).

I really REEEEEEALLLLLLLLLLY think you should do a full fledged two week Induction. You have a lot to learn. But mostly you need to grow your confidence that it will work for your body. Start too high (carbs) and you have no where to go (when you want to add more variety, etc). See what I mean? Get the benefits of ketosis... do Induction properly and go from there.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Tril! I'm willing to give induction another try once things settle down around here and I get my kitchen back. (Hopefully this weekend.) I think cooking up a few days' worth of meals and snacks will really help me to stay on track. I'm hoping my confidence will grow once I've weighed myself a few times and see for myself that a high fat diet isn't making me gain.

Last edited by Happy; 04-16-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Or you may want to try JUDDD. I and a lot of others find it easier to stick to than low carb.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Exactly! Always have food that you can have available. Precook a chicken or legs and thighs. Boil a dozen eggs. They make really good, portable snack or chop a couple up and make egg salad... eat with a fork or use celery. I like to have precook and presliced beef, too. Tuna salad all made is handy. I always seem to have a cole slaw going, too. I love it with my fried eggs in the morning. Cut up cheese cubes or get some sticks. Sliced pepperoni on a plate, cheese on top, microwave a few seconds.... SO good. A slice of ham, roast beef or turkey makes a good snack... roll up a dill pickle slice or a cooked asparagus spear and you have an easy to make, tasty alternative. But DO IT. Prepped your protein and carbs (cut up veggies). Know what fats you'll add... butter, olive oil, coconut oil. Don't leave anything to chance! Be prepared to drink a lot of water, too.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Those are great suggestions Tril. I feel like planning is so important and it would help save me from those split second poor choices I'm prone to making. I'm going to take your advice (and write down some of your food suggestions!) and will start induction on Monday.

E.W., I've done JUDDD in the past. I do lose weight with it, and I like the premise of it. The problem is I have difficulty sticking with it for long, particularly because I seem prone to getting bad migraines on down days. That's not to say I won't ever go back to it because I do feel like it has its merits...I just want to see what kind of results I'll get using a different approach first.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Planning is your foundation. If you don't plan and prep your food it's like building your house on quicksand. It's just a matter of time before your head goes under. Set yourself up for SUCCESS, not failure.

I love this old adage:

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Think about that.