Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: romperoo
Just 8oz.....

I am so upset. I have been doing a great job on week one of Atkins. I am tracking everything, staying under 20 carbs/day (usually about 15) and getting in my exercise. It's been very easy and I have been in Ketosis for three days now.

I just did my weekly weigh in and measurements after using the bathroom. I am down just EIGHT ounces. My measurements are UP around my abdomen. I did not eat anything that could make me bloated. To make things even worse, I am wearing lighter clothes that probably make up that 8 oz difference.

I am beyond upset. This is so typical for me. Diet, follow the directions to a "t" and either gain weight or lose so little that I feel like I should throw the towel in.

Did anyone else experience this? I am just so annoyed. Thanks for letting me vent.
romperoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Sorry for the second post in this thread, but I can't seem to find an "edit" function.

For the record: Yes, I have a lot of weight to lose. 60-70#
Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
How about some more information... like, what plan are you following, what are you eating, how much are you eating, are you drinking a LOT of water, are you weighing and measuring your foods or guessimating, what was your previous diet like, do you have any hormonal issues like diabetes or PCOS, how old are you, are you on any medications, etc. All these things, and more, effect weight loss.

It's important to keep carb intake low to induce ketosis... but even though we don't count calories, calories DO COUNT. We have a slight (no more than 100 cal) advantage on calorie intake eating low carb but not enough to mean we can over eat and still lose. Just because you CAN eat a 2# steak dripping with butter (0 carbs) doesn't mean you should.

The two things I've seen that slow weight loss the most are over eating low/no carb high calories foods and hormonal issues.

Feel free to give us more info if you'd like some constructive advice... you can even log your food intake and I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to review it.

I get that you're frustrated and discouraged. Instead of quitting, though, let us help! There may be a simple fix.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
There is no telling what your body is doing in order to prepare itself. Maybe with the exercise it's holding on to more water. Hopefully, you are drinking plenty of water. If not, it's really essential.

I can feel or see very subtle changes usually before I get a whoosh. This lets me know one is coming while I stay stat on the scale and I know my body is going through something. I know "seeing is believing" and it feels like you're not seeing anything; but day in, day out, it still takes patience.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I am weighing or measuring all my foods. I wish I was guilty of eating a steak dripping in butter! So far it has been roasted turkey/chicken breasts and fish. No frankenfood or Atkins products. Everything is homemade and as fresh as possible. I don't drink pop and consume lots and lots of water. Probably close to 100 oz or more a day. Water has been great for the "yuck" ketosis taste in my mouth.

As far as health issues, yes - I am peri-menopausal. My exercise is just walking (I am recovering from an Achilles replacement) about 3.3 mph on the treadmill.

Here is what I ate yesterday:
bacon 3 slices, 2 TBL half and half, 5 oz turkey breast

grass-fed hamburger 20% fat 4 oz, mustard, 1 avocado, 2 oz cheese

shredded cabbage, anchovies

avocado, mesculan, 6 oz grilled salmon, homemade caeasar dressing

whole milk ricotta cheese, 1 pkt equal, 1/2 tsp cocoa powder

This is a pretty typical day for me. Per the atkins website tracker I ate 18.5 carbs, 2000.2 calories. 30% protein, 7% carbs and the rest fat. I can't seem to find anything in my Atkins books about what the ratios should be.

HTH. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on how I can tweak this and make it work.

Last edited by romperoo; 04-14-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

The only thing I can see here... and I seriously doubt it's an issue, really... is the ricotta cheese. It's not on the Induction foods list, it's on the Phase 2 list. Remember, there's a limit to how much cheese a day you can have. It's 3 to 4 ounces. Some people swear that dairy products stall them so err on the side of caution and watch your intake.

Based on all you've shared I think you need to take a deep breath, trust the process and keep going. Patience. There are going to be lots of weeks of little or no loss... just super tough to take when it's the first week. Especially when the ads all promise huge losses the first two weeks. So, my suggestion is that you throw your shoulders back and soldier on through another week and give your body time to respond. Everyone is different. Maybe you only need more days on plan for your metabolism to respond.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Stick with it, Romperoo! I'll be disappointed if you don't!
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Induction rules would say only one half avocado a day.
HWC would be better than 1/2 and 1/2.

Still this looks pretty good, so I'd give the same advice as others, to give it time. One week is way too soon for frustration. Save that for a 7 week stall that will hit you later this year. Sounds like your body is just retaining water. Be patience and you will be rewarded soon.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I just looked and couldn't find a limit on avocado (1/2 a day). Can you tell me where you read that? I just found this on the approved vegetable list where I found avocado...

"The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs."
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Also is your turkey breast from like a deli, or even a package...with the deli it's hard telling what might be in it, and there is fillers in majority of lunch meat. Maybe you can't lose on 18.5 carbs a day, try dropping it down to 10-12 for a week and see how that does, some ppl have to keep carbs lower than others to have a loss,
And it could just be a fluke, maybe cabbage is making you bloat!
Just play around with foods etc and I'm sure you will find what works and doesn't work for you
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Sorry for the delay in posting responses. I would up having to sub for two days.

I have resisted the urge to re-weigh myself. I am going to wait until next Monday. I think if I re-weigh and see no progress, I will cheat or, worse, quit.

I've skimmed over my book again, and I can't see anything about the avocados. Also, I read that the fats have to be very high to bring on ketosis. My ketosis tests are all over the board. If I test in the morning, there is just a trace of ketones. If I test mid-afternoon, I have them. Now I'm wondering if I am actually IN ketosis because I am getting inconsistent readings...

reptogirl, the turkey is just a breast that I've cooked in the oven. No deli meat.

Tril, about the ricotta: I made a ricotta "dessert" that I found on my Atkins tracker app that said it was Phase 1 approved. I had it one night (1/4 cup) and then after I read your post I didn't eat it again.

Madmarsha and patience: I will take your advice and stick with it. I'll be sure to post my results next weigh-in! Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

" I think if I re-weigh and see no progress, I will cheat or, worse, quit."

Always remember that how you respond to the number on the scale (or anything else in life) is a choice. You will not cheat or quit unless you choose to do so.

Those strips are USELESS. Throw them away. There are no "levels of ketosis". You either are burning ketones or you are not. A trace means no more than a dark result. It's like being a little pregnant or very pregnant. You either are... or you are not. Darker does not mean greater weight loss. Try a 100% fat meal and then test for ketones... DARK! Why? Because ketones are produced when fat is metabolized. Your body fat OR the fat you eat. If eating fat can cause the strips to go very dark... and drinking a lot of water can make it go very light... how reliable can they be as an indication that you're metabolizing body fat? Those strips are used by diabetics to test for diabetic ketoacidosis (which has NOTHING to do with low carb induced ketosis) and not intended for the purpose you're using them for. Seriously... throw them away.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I'll check my bookshelf for the reference to "1/2 small avocado."
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Throw out the testing strips?!? Awww, but Tril, who doesn't like peeing on a stick? You're right - they are completely inconsistent. I had a friend recommend them, so I thought I was doing the right thing.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

They're consistent enough... just that your pee never is. Too many variables and none of it means anything for weight loss.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I found it!
Two places (pp. 229 and pp. 129) in DANDR (paperback version).
Half of a small avocado in induction.
If you look on the carb gram counter (inside the paper back version), it shows that one avocado comes in at 14. 9 grams of carbohydrates. That's well over half of your carb allowance in induction.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
You really are not into this Atkins woe for long, I would keep on the plan and let it do what it will if you stick to it.
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Ok, I found it!
Two places (pp. 229 and pp. 129) in DANDR (paperback version).
Half of a small avocado in induction.
If you look on the carb gram counter (inside the paper back version), it shows that one avocado comes in at 14. 9 grams of carbohydrates. That's well over half of your carb allowance in induction.
They must have changed this with the newest plan. Now avocado is on the Phase I list... and it says 1/2 whole (raw) avocado is 1.8 ng. So... it's one of those times that which plan you're following means you either can, or can't, have avocado in P1.

Thank you so much for looking that up! Discussions like this help all of us.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Update: I weighed in today and lost a pound. ONE. Yes, I know a pound lost is better than a pound gained. But it's just beyond frustrating. *sigh* I have a feeling I won't be taking any family pictures at the beach this summer.

Average daily carbs is 14 and strictly following P1. I upped my protein intake to 30% or more. Definitely in ketosis - my mouth tastes like caca. I'm going to stay on P1 for two more weeks and see if anything happens. I'll do an update.

Thanks for checking on the avocado. My book and the tracking website say it's 1.8 ng.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

That's a huge difference, even considering fiber, imo.
I wonder if one or the other is an error.
I'll probably stick with the one half a day for now, as it seems like a reasonable bit, especially as I didn't know any better.
I do like avocado, though, so we will see.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

14ng per day isn't strictly following P1. From "how to do P1"...

"Of these, 12–15 grams should be in the form of foundation vegetables. It’s fine to average 20 grams a day over several days, but don’t go below 18 grams or above 22 on a single day. Dropping below 18 probably won’t make you lose weight any faster and is unlikely to satisfy your vegetable requirement. Going above 22 could interfere with triggering weight loss. Select carb foods from the list of Phase 1 acceptable foods."

HTH
Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!

Last edited by romperoo; 04-21-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Maybe try to find a copy of Atkins 72. The new Atkins plans are totally different and do not work as well for a lot of people. On the first 2 weeks of induction you are supposed to be as close to zero carbs as possible. It's basically meat, eggs, 4 ounces of hard cheese, and 1 cup of loose leafy greens. You can add fat to everything - butter, mayo, etc. The induction veggies are only loose leafy greens and maybe cucumbers (can't remember). Cabbage is definitely not on the list as well as avocado or ricotta cheese. Remember this is only for 2 weeks and then you can start adding new things back in. Your menu might be okay for the new Atkins but not what Dr. Atkins actually developed. I believe his family even sold the company and that is when all those bars and meals started came out in the stores. Your half-n-half also has carbs. I use Heavy Whipping Cream and even on induction we are limited on that. I think it's 4 tsp. per day.

There are some very good threads on here if you go under Atkins Induction or Atkins 72. I honestly wouldn't lose on your menu either. I started back on Atkins last Monday and decided to do it by the book, 72 style. I started at 208 and I was 200.6 on Saturday morning. I will weigh again either Friday or Saturday. My ketostix are dark purple and I have tons of energy. I am eating a lot of fat, moderate protein, and hardly any veggies. I made a batch of revolution rolls made with mayo so I could have a ham sandwich. The rolls are 0.6 carbs each and very satisfying.

I wish you the best of luck!

Here is one very good thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/at...ou-follow.html
1/5/14 GOAL #1 BACK TO ONEDERLAND 3/4/14 MADE IT
3/4/14 GOAL #2 194.6 (20 LBS EVICTED FOR 2014)
TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME

Last edited by Gracie514; 04-21-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Gracie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Dr. Atkins wrote the modifications to his first diet book (the '72 printing). His last version was published in 2003. In 1989 he started his company Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. For whatever his reasons he was behind the Atkins diet food bandwagon. He died from head trauma in the spring of 2003 at the age of 72. That fall the company changed hands. It went bankrupt in '05, sold again and came back in '07. It changed hands AGAIN in 2010. The emphasis now is on low carb bars and shakes.

I put the history out there because Atkins was involved in all of the diet changes up until his death. I'm not saying that makes the diet any more (or less) effective than the first version. But he certainly was the reason the diet evolved over the years. Not "the company". So I think it's important to consider the changes "ok". YMMV, of course.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Dr. Atkins wrote the modifications to his first diet book (the '72 printing). His last version was published in 2003. In 1989 he started his company Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. For whatever his reasons he was behind the Atkins diet food bandwagon. He died from head trauma in the spring of 2003 at the age of 72. That fall the company changed hands. It went bankrupt in '05, sold again and came back in '07. It changed hands AGAIN in 2010. The emphasis now is on low carb bars and shakes.

I put the history out there because Atkins was involved in all of the diet changes up until his death. I'm not saying that makes the diet any more (or less) effective than the first version. But he certainly was the reason the diet evolved over the years. Not "the company". So I think it's important to consider the changes "ok". YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the clarification!

FWIW, I tried a two week induction following the new rules and couldn't lose at all. Maybe I am very carb sensitive. This time around seems to be working following strict 72 induction. I figure it's only 2 weeks and wanted to really give it a good try. So far, so good!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Exactly... that's why I said YMMV. Everyone needs to find what works for their own body. And you know what... just as you figure it out, it CHANGES. LOL
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Exactly... that's why I said YMMV. Everyone needs to find what works for their own body. And you know what... just as you figure it out, it CHANGES. LOL
You're exactly right!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

CHANGES - yeah, I know all about that! *snort*
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 5'4" 178/150.6/128
WOE: modified Atkins nutritional
Start Date: April 16 2014
Just wanted to add that in Atkins New diet Revolution "fat fast" are still there for people who don't see results in induction. I cannot find the info in the newest NAME book. It is a lot harder to do, but for 3 to 5 days at a time it might help shake things up.
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Update: Four weeks in and I am at a grand total loss of ONE pound. ONE.

I am in ketosis. I am eating 10-15 carbs/day, now following the Atkins '72 plan. I am not cheating. I am at my wit's end.

Thanks Leanne for the "fat fast" suggestion. I will Google it and see what it's about.