Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My guess is that calories are the problem--too many. Unless we eat at a caloric deficit, we don't lose, regardless of the plan.

When I began, I had almost 200 lbs to lose, but unless was careful of my total calories, I could not lose. In fact, I had to readjust half-way through my weight loss to reduce my portions again.

At the beginning of low carbing, many people can eat all they want and lose, but some women, especially those of us close to or in menopause, have to watch calories. As we age, our metabolism slows, and we simply need less food.

I've been maintaining my loss for almost 4 years now, and my 'mind' still wants to eat far more than my body needs. I have to be conscious of calories to maintain even though I typically eat <20g carbs daily.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 133, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
That's very true, Leo41! Even though low carbers are told not to count calories, calories still count. It's easy for habitual overeaters to keep overeating on a low carb plan. Reminds me of an old LC saying... one that I repeat often to myself!...

"Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Yes, a whole oven roast has zero carbs and you could, according to the carb count, eat the whole thing. That doesn't mean you should, though, if your goal is weight loss. Eating higher fat, lower carb makes eating less easier. You're less hungry. So be VERY sure you're eating to your hunger... your stomach hunger, not your head hunger.

Might also be time to change up your menu choices... eliminate all processed foods like deli and canned meats, increase your water intake, choose lower carb fresh salad veggies, reduce your dairy/cheese, cut out all nuts and nut butters, reduce artificial sweeteners, reduce caffeine, double check your carb counts, move more.

And... do a few days of calorie counting along with your carb counting just to see where you're at there.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Question... how tall are you? I went back and saw a post that said you had 2000 cal one day. At 5'4" I would gain on that caloric intake for sure, regardless of carb intake.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Question... how tall are you? I went back and saw a post that said you had 2000 cal one day. At 5'4" I would gain on that caloric intake for sure, regardless of carb intake.
Yep, I'm almost 5'-7" and my resting calories are around 1600. With daily activities being minimal I'm at 1920 calories for the day to NOT GAIN. So for me to lose, I should stay around 1500 calories per day. Good point!!!
Gracie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: romperoo
I am 5'8" and since I last posted about two weeks ago, I upped average daily protein to about 45%. No frankenfoods, no Atkins bars. Everything is homemade. I track everything. This week I actually gained 1/2 lb. My measurements have not budged.

My caloric intake has been around 1800/day. I am an somewhat active person with a lot of walking, 30 min. of gentle yoga a day, TONS of housework and my job requires me to dance for about an hour a day, 2x/week (preschool music teacher).

A main goal for doing this (besides for health) is that I wanted to take family photos with my kids at the beach this summer. They have no pictures of me. I have NO pictures of me with them. I can't stand to look at myself. My face and body are so bloated. As a former aerobics instructor, I feel like an epic failure.

To add insult to injury, I am starting to lose my hair.
romperoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by romperoo View Post
I am 5'8" and since I last posted about two weeks ago, I upped average daily protein to about 45%. No frankenfoods, no Atkins bars. Everything is homemade. I track everything. This week I actually gained 1/2 lb. My measurements have not budged.

My caloric intake has been around 1800/day. I am an somewhat active person with a lot of walking, 30 min. of gentle yoga a day, TONS of housework and my job requires me to dance for about an hour a day, 2x/week (preschool music teacher).

A main goal for doing this (besides for health) is that I wanted to take family photos with my kids at the beach this summer. They have no pictures of me. I have NO pictures of me with them. I can't stand to look at myself. My face and body are so bloated. As a former aerobics instructor, I feel like an epic failure.

To add insult to injury, I am starting to lose my hair.
Can you post a daily menu for the last couple days?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

That is just odd/not right. You should be losing. Slowly, but losing just the same. Have you ever had any hormonal issues? Diabetes, PCOS, etc? Or blood sugar issues? Something is going on, I just don't know what. Hair loss can be related to many things.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

I am peri-menopausal. Per my doc, I have a "classic case" of metabolic syndrome. Doc is completely supportive of Atkins.

Yesterday I ate: 1480 calories
sausage, egg, equal, chicken breast, celery, mayo, fish Per the Atkins tracker it was 47% protein, 3% carbs and 50% fat.

Two days ago: 1566 calories
sausage "muffin" cup, bacon, turkey, shrimp, heavy whipping cream, asparagus, steak. Per the Atkins tracker it was 49% protein, 4% carbs and 47% fat.

Thanks everyone for your faith and advice.

Last edited by romperoo; 05-05-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

A good friend of mine swears by The Metabolism Miracle diet by Diane Kress. It's the only way of eating that she can lose weight with. Have you heard of it?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by romperoo View Post
I am peri-menopausal. Per my doc, I have a "classic case" of metabolic syndrome. Doc is completely supportive of Atkins.

Yesterday I ate: 1480 calories
sausage, egg, equal, chicken breast, celery, mayo, fish Per the Atkins tracker it was 47% protein, 3% carbs and 50% fat.

Two days ago: 1566 calories
sausage "muffin" cup, bacon, turkey, shrimp, heavy whipping cream, asparagus, steak. Per the Atkins tracker it was 49% protein, 4% carbs and 47% fat.

Thanks everyone for your faith and advice.
Your menu's look perfect to me. Could you be losing fat and gaining muscle? I'm sure this is very frustrating!

Hmmm, on second thought, I believe sausage is considered processed and could contain sugar? Everything else looks good.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
A good friend of mine swears by The Metabolism Miracle diet by Diane Kress. It's the only way of eating that she can lose weight with. Have you heard of it?
No - never heard of that, Tril. I just borrowed it from the e-library. Going to read it tonight while I'm sitting at soccer. I have a lot of the symptoms she suggests are related to this, with the exception of feeling hungry and craving carbs.

My friend who's a hormone doc also suggested that I might be leptin resistant - especially because I am under so much stress all the time. Going to read on this, too.

Until then, I am going to try the Fat Flush. Three days of lots of fat and about 1000 calories. Can't hurt at this point. I will just be sure to cut down on my walking.

I'll update later on my results and progress. Thanks again Low Carb Friends!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #42
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Romper: drop the equal for one week and see what happens.
Some people have a response very similar to sugar with certain sweeteners.
Equal may be one for you.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Romper - Big hugs. I am sure this is very frustrating, but you're doing it - working towards a goal. You are in no way a failure.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Romper - Big hugs. I am sure this is very frustrating, but you're doing it - working towards a goal. You are in no way a failure.
AGREED!!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
romperroo,
I can relate it has been quite sometime since I have had a loss of any kind. I have cheated some, but am back on strict induction for now. I hope am just a slow loser. I am pretty sedentary so it would figure.

I have considered a LC version of JUDDD but am waiting to see if something happens.

Don't give in! This plan works, it is different for everybody in the time it takes.

Best Wishes
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You might also try lowering protein and making up the difference with fat.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

WOOT!!!!

Finally some great news! After doing five days of the Fat Flush and then back on Induction for three days, I have lost a total of TEN pounds! I am so glad to see some positive results - and my waistline looking slimmer.

My plan is to continue with Induction for a few more weeks and then follow Atkins '72. Tril, I read the book you recommended and liked the book's advice of how many carbs to eat and when. I think when I start adding carbs back, I will see how this works.

I also seem to think the Fat Flush works for my body. If I hit a plateau, I will try it again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support. I really appreciate all the help!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Hooray! I am so happy to read this Romp!!

Great news for you.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

WOW! Way to hang in there and keep working it... well done!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Romperoo, I was on the same boat as you. Peri-menopausal, eating low carb but only losing 1/2- 1 pound a month. I went to my PCP and also an Endocrine Dr. and both said the same thing, low carb or not eat 1200- 1400 cals a day to lose while going through menopause. So now I eat less than 20 carbs, 40-50% fat (higher fat is not good for most women in menopause) although some seem to tolerate more. And even though I was pretty sick for two weeks with my Miniere's, I lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months. I still have 43 pounds until goal and I hope to lose 8-9 pounds a month. so try cutting back on your cals for a week and see if that helps.
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: perclady
Stats: 228/220/160
WOE: low carb...as in no simple carbs
Start Date: May 12 2014
Are you losing inches? I remember in the past losing in chunks and sometimes i felt the weight loss before it was reflected on the scale. I understand your frustration but please don't give up.
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
Finally some great news! After doing five days of the Fat Flush and then back on Induction for three days, I have lost a total of TEN pounds! I am so glad to see some positive results - and my waistline looking slimmer.

srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: comanchesue
I kept waiting for someone to mention the 2000 calories in your food total-that's an awful lot and, imo, is a good clue as to why you weren't losing.
comanchesue is offline   Reply With Quote