Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Question for experienced atkins induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/828098-question-experienced-atkins-induction.html)

samgsd 04-11-2014 07:25 AM

Question for experienced atkins induction
 
Hello,

I've been on atkins induction for around 4.5 months. I have lost 76 pounds in that time (start weight 346, current weight 270). I'm 5 ft 9

I'm still losing roughly 11-13 pounds per month and have a cheat meal once per month.

My questions are:

Is long term induction damaging?
Is the weight loss too rapid or is it because I had/have so much to lose?

My daily calories are right around 1200 (give or take) and carbs 30g or less, lots of protein. I don't feel deprived and eat anytime I'm hungry, I was never really monitoring calories and I was surprised when I did because I'm eating what feels like more than I ever have but I guess mushrooms and bell peppers have a lot less calories and therefore consumed in greater quantity than a big mac...

My original plan was to stay on Atkins induction until I hit 200#, but now after unsolicited input from friends I'm kind of nervous that maybe this isn't healthy. Looking for straight answers please!

Thanks in advance.

Tril 04-11-2014 08:47 AM

You don't say if your M/F but I'm guessing male by your weight loss. Atkins says it's ok to stay at Induction levels for longer than 2 weeks if your body is weight loss resistant (obviously yours isn't!) or if you have a lot to lose (seems that you do/did). So will it hurt you? Probably not. You'll want to start thinking about progressing through the next stage, though. OWL (ongoing weigh loss) is critical to long term maintenance. Why? Because that's where you learn what YOUR body requires for weight loss and keeping it off. You'll find out your personal limit on carbs... and which carbs effect you negatively and which carbs you can eat without issues. If you skip this stage... what have you learned about maintenance levels?? Not a thing. So what do you do on the day you hit your goal weight? Really... what do you do? It sounds like you don't plan to eat 30g carb daily for the rest of your life (and you shouldn't have to). Think of OWL as the MOST important phase of the diet... because it is. Don't skip the learning you get here. Or it could all be for naught.

The first step in OWL is very simple... just add 5ng carbs from more approved vegetables a day. You'd be at 35g a day for week... see how it effects your weight loss. Do that for two or three weeks if you want. There's no rush to progress through the rungs since you have time (better than waiting until the last 10 pounds like many people do!!). By the time you get to your goal weight you won't have to "do" anything except keep doing what you're doing at that point. OWL into Maintenance should be seamless....

Olive 04-11-2014 12:25 PM

What a great question, and what great progress you're making!

If I'm not mistaken, the Atkins 1992 DANDR book says that it's fine to stay in Induction for up to 6 months.

The most important thing is not feeling deprived, which you say you're not. I'd go for it.

kay9 04-12-2014 07:41 AM

good info and congrats on your progress.

werkn'it 04-12-2014 09:04 AM

Congrats on some fabulous stats and will-power. Way to go!

Many people stay below 20 carbs/day for long periods of time and seem happy with it. However, from reading these boards, I've noticed some common issues that arise with rapid weight loss that you may want to be aware of:

1) loose skin. The more rapid your weight loss, the more this may be an issue. Be sure to take care of the largest organ you have. Some believe that dry brushing and moisturizing with Coconut Oil or Bio-Oil twice daily is helpful. The slower your weight loss, the more time your skin has to adjust. I lost 50 lbs and have the bat wings to show it. :(

2) hair loss. With any quick weight loss, some people experience this. It is a temporary (mostly) inconvenience, but you may want to read up on it and be prepared for it jic.

3) muscle loss. This was an issue for me. Now that I'm closer to where I want to be and won't be discouraged by the scale moving up (since muscle weighs more) I've begun some light weight lifting and exercising.

4) burn out. I've seen some people get sick of the lc foods that they are eating - they pick just a few stand-bys that they can tolerate and equate that limited diet to "eating lc." They either begin to have too many "cheat days" or once they hit their desired weight, leave lc behind and start gaining weight. Personally, I hope that I'll continue to see lc as a way of life. There are so many lc recipes and new things to try, that I hope to be exploring lc and staying healthy for a long time. So my goal has changed from hitting a certain number on the scale, to embracing lc (and exercising) as a new way of life. For e-va! :) Thinking of it this way helps me to not be in such a hurry to lose the pounds.

I hope this helps... and congrats again on your diet change! WTG!!!

Patience 04-12-2014 09:37 AM

As long as you feel good, I'd say keep going.
What does your cheat meal look like?
Just curious . . . .

samgsd 04-15-2014 09:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses and apologies for my late response.

Werkin it: I've found it easier than most people think it is. A few friends say they could never give up pizza or mashed potato etc. But the low carb versions while not spot on are enough to curb the craving. I haven't experienced any loose skin or hair loss yet. I've always been a "large frame" person even before I put on the weight and am losing universally from chest guy waist and thighs. I'm sure I will have loose skin but I can live with that as opposed to having tight skin around 50% body fat lol

My monthly cheat meal is basically one meal whatever I want although I am still conscious of carbs I will indulge in A dinner roll and mashed potato with a steak. Most recently I had fish tacos with mahi, cabbage, and flour tortilla it was delicious and about 100 carbs lol.

werkn'it 04-17-2014 07:29 AM

So glad that this new WOE is working out for you. I agree - I would rather have saggy skin than be overweight!

Keep it up and keep us informed of your progress!

Just Jo 04-18-2014 06:32 PM

:jumpjoy: Huge Congrats on the weight loss sam!!

And I agree about the skin issue and I don't care how slowly you lose it, if you lose 1/2 your body weight you can't exercise enough to impact that much skin.

Wow one cheat meal a month, I couldn't do that, I have self and portion control issues... hence the reason for being morbidly obese most of my life -- but you seem to be doing just fine -- lucky you!! (I hate you, man!!! j/k) Heartfelt congrats again!!


Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill


“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Leanne21071 04-29-2014 05:34 AM

Fantastic job! I am also okay with loose skin. I have lost a lot in the past and it is just part of me. I feel better with bat wings than with the bat wings filled out! At least I can hide them with a cute outfit. There is no hiding the fat.

Tril 04-29-2014 05:43 AM

Loose skin never caused a heart attack or other health problem, either. ;)

werkn'it 04-29-2014 08:47 AM

Not to be a stick in the mud, but... I didn't lose all of this weight to still be dissatisfied with my body. Yes, I prefer being skinnier and flabby to being fat. For many reasons. However, knowing what I know now, I would have lost my weight a bit more slowly and exercised along the way and tried dry brushing and moisturizing better. I don't know if it would have helped much, but at least I wouldn't be wondering "what if."

Truly, my "bat wings" aren't that bad. I am so glad to be shed of 50 pounds. But, I wonder about the folks who drop huge amounts of weight in short periods of time and hope that they're thinking about their skin... :)

kay9 05-14-2014 11:42 AM

I don't care about the loose skin vs the sheer agony of carrying 400+ pounds every second of every day.

Seabreezes 05-14-2014 12:23 PM

There is an Atkins 72 thread where several people have stayed on induction for a long time. Mothrgoos is a poster who has lost a lot of weight and is still on induction.

Your doing graeat!

maximumdensity 05-31-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16872232)
You don't say if your M/F but I'm guessing male by your weight loss. Atkins says it's ok to stay at Induction levels for longer than 2 weeks if your body is weight loss resistant (obviously yours isn't!) or if you have a lot to lose (seems that you do/did). So will it hurt you? Probably not. You'll want to start thinking about progressing through the next stage, though. OWL (ongoing weigh loss) is critical to long term maintenance. Why? Because that's where you learn what YOUR body requires for weight loss and keeping it off. You'll find out your personal limit on carbs... and which carbs effect you negatively and which carbs you can eat without issues. If you skip this stage... what have you learned about maintenance levels?? Not a thing. So what do you do on the day you hit your goal weight? Really... what do you do? It sounds like you don't plan to eat 30g carb daily for the rest of your life (and you shouldn't have to). Think of OWL as the MOST important phase of the diet... because it is. Don't skip the learning you get here. Or it could all be for naught.
The first step in OWL is very simple... just add 5ng carbs from more approved vegetables a day. You'd be at 35g a day for week... see how it effects your weight loss. Do that for two or three weeks if you want. There's no rush to progress through the rungs since you have time (better than waiting until the last 10 pounds like many people do!!). By the time you get to your goal weight you won't have to "do" anything except keep doing what you're doing at that point. OWL into Maintenance should be seamless....

Tril,
I think you have a lot of knowledge. Is it not possible to stay at 20g. longer than 6 mos.? I am sure that there are some people that do not get to increase their carbs by much more to maintain their desired weight. I do not understand what would be unhealthy about staying around 20 carbs especially when most of us use vitamin supplements as part of our routine. Just wondering?
thanks

Tril 06-01-2014 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16928167)
Tril,
I think you have a lot of knowledge. Is it not possible to stay at 20g. longer than 6 mos.? I am sure that there are some people that do not get to increase their carbs by much more to maintain their desired weight. I do not understand what would be unhealthy about staying around 20 carbs especially when most of us use vitamin supplements as part of our routine. Just wondering?
thanks

Yes, of course it's possible. My comment was in regards to following the Atkins Diet as the OP stated he was doing Atkins Induction.

If a person wanted to stay at 20ng for life, that's an different approach. Would it be healthy? I think that really depends on where those 20ng come from... if it's vegetable carbs then yes. Personally, I don't think supplements are as good as getting nutrition from food. That's why they are called supplements... not replacements. :)

Just Jo 06-01-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16928167)
Tril,
I think you have a lot of knowledge. Is it not possible to stay at 20g. longer than 6 mos.? I am sure that there are some people that do not get to increase their carbs by much more to maintain their desired weight. I do not understand what would be unhealthy about staying around 20 carbs especially when most of us use vitamin supplements as part of our routine. Just wondering?
thanks

Hey max, I don't even do 20 g at maintenance. I am so carb sensitive that I do well without gaining or losing at 12-14 carbs a day with no more than 1400 kcals. So I am basically at Induction and since I plan NOT to gain weight ever again... I will stay here forever since this is a WOL and not a diet.

Granted, I just started maintenance almost 3 weeks ago, but those seem to be the kcal/carb threshold for me to maintain my weight loss.

maximumdensity 06-01-2014 08:56 AM

Thanks Tril,
I agree it is best to get nutients from food. It is just really hard to get everything you should have no matter what you eat on a daily basis. I appreciate your reply. I had the 20 carbs stuck in my head not induction. :)

maximumdensity 06-01-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Jo (Post 16928536)
Hey max, I don't even do 20 g at maintenance. I am so carb sensitive that I do well without gaining or losing at 12-14 carbs a day with no more than 1400 kcals. So I am basically at Induction and since I plan NOT to gain weight ever again... I will stay here forever since this is a WOL and not a diet.

Granted, I just started maintenance almost 3 weeks ago, but those seem to be the kcal/carb threshold for me to maintain my weight loss.

:jumpjoy: I an so happy you have gotten to maintenance !!! I hope to join you some day. I do also hope to eat fruit and yogurt again somedat too though!! I hope that I and you can enjoy a little bit of a carby treat once in awhile:)

Tril 06-01-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16928785)
Thanks Tril,
I agree it is best to get nutients from food. It is just really hard to get everything you should have no matter what you eat on a daily basis. I appreciate your reply. I had the 20 carbs stuck in my head not induction. :)

No problem! I do that, too! :)

maximumdensity 06-01-2014 01:05 PM

Samgsd,
I hope you reach all your goals ! :)

Tril :)

Just Jo 06-01-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16928791)
:jumpjoy: I an so happy you have gotten to maintenance !!! I hope to join you some day. I do also hope to eat fruit and yogurt again somedat too though!! I hope that I and you can enjoy a little bit of a carby treat once in awhile:)

From your lips to God's ears... about enjoying the fruit and yogurt once in a while would be the key for me. I'm not against either, just taking baby steps toward those types of carbs -- things I consider "better carbs" then those toxic, poisonous killer carbs (flour, sugar, potatoes, corn, etc)

Wishing you heartfelt success on your personal LC WOE journey, maxi and you WILL join me -- attitude is everything!!! :)

maximumdensity 06-07-2014 02:31 PM

Thx Jo :)

Just Jo 06-07-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16936067)
Thx Jo :)

I'm over here cheering you onward and DOWNWARD, maxi !!! :jumpjoy:

Louella 06-15-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samgsd (Post 16872123)
Hello,

I've been on atkins induction for around 4.5 months. I have lost 76 pounds in that time (start weight 346, current weight 270). I'm 5 ft 9

I'm still losing roughly 11-13 pounds per month and have a cheat meal once per month.

My questions are:

Is long term induction damaging?
Is the weight loss too rapid or is it because I had/have so much to lose?

My daily calories are right around 1200 (give or take) and carbs 30g or less, lots of protein. I don't feel deprived and eat anytime I'm hungry, I was never really monitoring calories and I was surprised when I did because I'm eating what feels like more than I ever have but I guess mushrooms and bell peppers have a lot less calories and therefore consumed in greater quantity than a big mac...

My original plan was to stay on Atkins induction until I hit 200#, but now after unsolicited input from friends I'm kind of nervous that maybe this isn't healthy. Looking for straight answers please!

Thanks in advance.

I'm a newbie here, but been doing Atkins on and off for almost 10 years. I also have a large frame and am naturally muscular and first started out at 327 lbs. I dropped 140 lbs my very first year on the plan. I stayed on the induction phase for two years. Or at least my own version of it... Going in, there were some things I couldn't give up. I ate sugar free chocolates in place of sweets, ate Pirate's Booty in place of potato chips, that sort of thing. But no matter what, I still ate under 20 grams of carbs a day. I had my occasional cheat day, too. In the beginning, it was once a week. Then when I started gaining back the 5 lbs I lost during the week because of that one day, I stopped my cheat day all together. I never once counted calories.

Atkins says you can stay on Induction Phase until you get down to your goal weight. That's what I did, and I wouldn't do it any other way. I did kinda get burnt out on it after those two years, though. But anytime I needed to lose again, I've gone right back on. This time, I need to lose 30 lbs (to get down to my happy place at 200) but want to lose 45. I'm just working on getting back in the mindset because things in my life have changed so much (I can't exercise the way I used to).

At any rate, I've come across so many naysayers along my journey, I don't even pay attention to them. I know what's right for me. I know my body. And I've even had my body fat percentage checked so have the science to back me up. You do what you feel is right and what makes you feel good about yourself. Even though they're your friends, they'll see you losing the weight and I'd bet you money on them eventually coming around to congratulate you when you prove them wrong.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.