Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: graizi
Atkins diet and I'm gaining weight

Hi,

I started atkins diet on February 25, 10 days ago. I was 61 kgs and now I am 61.7 kgs. I'm 163 cm.

Before doing atkins I was on a low calorie diet but I wasn't following it. I usually ate cakes, tortillas and bread during the weekends and on week days I followed it about 90%. This was because I craved for sugar food.

That's why I decided to change to Atkins, now I don't have the cravings, but I gained weight, 700 grams. I have done the diet 100% (20 carbs per day from veggies), even in the weekend. I'm eating about 1500 cals per day.

I exercise 5 times per week, 3 days I run about 6 to 10 km with about 15 min of weight training and the other 2 days I pole dance.

According to a friend, I shouldn't exercise on the first two weeks when doing atkins.

What do you think the problem is?

I appreciate your help.
graizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
chances it's two things, but this is just a guess

1. you were already eating low carb enough that you didn't lose the "water weight" when you started doing Atkins more seriously. that is how people lose a lot right away.

2. the amount of food you are eating is your maintenance level, not low enough to lose

I doubt the exercise is a factor. People will probably have some suggestions for you. don't give up!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: atlantadentist
Gaining Weight

If you are lifting weights and changing to an Atkins diet, you can actually be making more muscle. Strange but by just increasing protein intake some muscle gain can occur but if you are lifting, it may be more dramatic. What is happening in the waistline is more important.
atlantadentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValentineC
Stats: 5'5" 215/207.8/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Atkins allows for 12-15 carbs per day of green vegetables/salad…read the list of allowed foods again, make a few copies, keep one in the kitchen, at work, in your purse/car for trips to the grocery store. The remaining carbs at comprised of dairy, cheese, meat.

You should be eating meat, eggs, and dairy as defined by the Atkins plan.

My best advice is to actually read or re-read the Atkins plan for exact directions…what you should and should not be eating.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes after reviewing the plan and following it for a few days.
ValentineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: graizi
Hi.
I re read the program and I was eatings carrots which have a high glycerine index. I stopped eating carrots. I weight today again and now Im at 60.6 Kgs.
Thanks for your support.
graizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Another reason is that you're at a healthy weight for your height. You may WANT to be thinner, but for health you don't need to be. How much do you want to lose?

Since you have no weight you NEED to lose, weight loss will be very slow. Expect the lower end of the 1/2 to 2# pounds (.2kg to .9kg) per week.

And be sure to reread the Atkins plan if that is what you are doing. There are carbs in many things besides veggies... if you're eating 20g (net or total?) from veggies, there are probably more that you're not counting. Cheese and cream for example. Salad dressings, too.

Are you still having sugar cravings? You admit to not following a previous plan to the letter... are you doing the same with this one? Cheating on a low carb diet is a SURE path to weight gain. You can get away with it now and then on a low calorie or low fat diet but you can NOT on a low carb diet. You'll gain every time because you'll be replenishing your glycogen store and that causes water weight gain. Not fat gain but you will see it on the scale as a gain. If you're going to do a low carb diet you have to do it as close to 100% as humanly possible. This isn't a week day diet.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susann
Stats: 252/236/130-5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/14/2013
I'm also thinking that you're at the weight you should be for your height especially with the amount of exersize that you do.
Susann is offline   Reply With Quote