Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: samgsd
Stats: S:346/C:289/G1:300/G2:280/G3:250/G4:220/G5:200
WOE: Atkins - Long term induction
Start Date: 11/24/2013
How did you get started?

I'm new to the board and curious what prompted all of you to lose weight? For me, I have always been fat, just not THIS fat. On November 23rd, 2013 I for the first time in probably two years got on a scale. 346 Pounds! I was disgusted, in fact I went to the store and bought another scale thinking that surely there was something wrong.

To my dismay there was nothing wrong with the first scale, I had somehow indeed ended up 25 years old and 346 pounds. All of the things were there in front of me from the "ultra tight" airline seats, but everyone complaints about airline seats I thought. Every pair of pants I ever bought had to be hemmed. Sure, I'm a bit husky or "big boned" nothing to worry about. Wrong.

I'm new in the weight loss game but my biggest piece of advice would be to keep up with your weight. The last time I weighed myself i was around 225lbs which is still obese but not this bad, had I paid more attention to my health and weight I would have not had this much to lose and not be at this much risk.

Ever since I started researching I've learned that i'm class IV obese, and am at risk for various ailments. Luckily, and for some unexplained reason I have no ailments (knock on wood for me) my heart rate is 88BPM and blood pressure in the normal range. On November 24th armed with "low carbs from veggies, no processed foods, and high protein" in mind I went shopping.

So far I'm 19 days in eating clean and trying to go to the gym every day (i've failed in that EVERY day thing but i'll get there). Thanksgiving was the absolute hardest and I did succumb to one cup of stuffing. I justified it to myself as "before I would have had 4-6 servings! I can have just one. It was delicious but not worth it.

As of this December 12th, 2013 morning I have lost 19.4 pounds and came down 1.5" on my waist. I'm very happy about those results although I know that this pace will not last forever/long.

My daily meals look something like this:
2-3 scrambled Eggs with bell pepper (quarter bell pepper diced) 6am
Protein shake with water. 9am
Chicken breast (boiled) with a half cup of green beans. 12pm
Atkins bar for the first week (Dropped it because of all the processed junk)
Cheese stick or pepperoni slices (5) (instead of the atkins bar) 3pm
1 small-medium steak with sauteed peppers and mushrooms 6pm
if i get hungry before bed I drink a bottle of water and go to sleep.

I drink 8-10 16.9oz bottled waters per day.

One thing that seemed to occur is I no longer look forward to food. Some things taste better than others, but it's changed from enjoyment to necessity. Anyone else have this?

Anyways, off my box for now- look forward to learning from those who have been successful and coming back to see all the motivation that comes from this board.

Last edited by samgsd; 12-12-2013 at 10:25 PM..
samgsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Congrats on your weight/inches lost!

My motivation came from facing a surgery(thyroidectomy)and I didn't want my medical record to say I was "obese". My BMI was hovering above 30 so I knew I could bring it under that - I had 3 months to do it and I did! So after that, I just kept making more mini goals, just as you have done. Now my BMI is under 25 which is considered normal and I feel better at 50 than I have in a long time. So keep up the good work!

One thing I have to say is I still look forward to eating. Oh, yes. I plan, I cook, I make myself sugar free treats because for so long, I was stuffing my face and then look at my plate and "wha...it's GONE already?!!" So, enjoy what you eat, savor it. It's a labor of love for yourself! and for me, the ones I love also.

Keep us posted with your progress
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02

The beginning of this year, I realized that I was playing Russian roulette. I was almost 40, hypothyroid, very overweight, and have a deep family history of heart disease and Type II diabetes on both sides (all developed in late middle age or later, so lifestyle played a huge part). I had been lucky enough to escape lifestyle-related diseases so far, but I was playing with fire.

It was no longer simply about weight, but about health. I knew what I needed to do (been LCing off and on since 2002), I need to stop futzing around and really commit to it for life, or I would be incredibly angry with myself. I have several chronic and life-changing medical issues, but they were the result of the luck of the draw, not something I could have prevented. Diabetes, hypertension and other conditions I was looking at in middle age were mostly because of factors I have control over.

I decided to grow up.

So, I buy foods I love, have plenty of options, something quick to grab when I need it, and made a pact with myself that I will only eat off plan when I plan for it in advance, not when I'm just hungry and feel like eating pizza (or whatever), and a maximum of three times per year. I haven't even taken advantage of any of those meals this year, but I have the option. Mostly, I am not tempted, because I'm doing what's best to feel and look good.

I've lost over 60 pounds since January 3; I have a lot more to go, but I'll get there.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alero
Stats: 216/198/150 (5ft'0")
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: (Once again) November 9, 2013
I decided to go back on Atkins when my "Doc" (who is really a certified nurse practitioner) became concerned with my blood pressure.
Bless his heart, I really respect him in his profession but this is a funny little story.
First off, I am 5'0". And I was getting close to 220 lbs. Not good. But my BP has always been on the low side. So high BP was of some concern to me too. Well Doc says if I don't lose some weight and bring the BP down, he's gonna have to put me on blood pressure meds. And I don't want any of that drama, honestly.
So I decided to jump in with both feet and I haven't looked back.
I have lost steadily, I am now under 200 (woot woot) and checked my BP again.... still high.

THEN I REALIZED Doc was using the normal size blood pressure cuff all along, and my arm needs the fat girl cuff. Made that one change, my blood pressure is right back within normal ranges for me, which is a little lower than normal.

I am grateful tho, because Doc gave me the kick in the booty I needed to do better for myself and for my kids.

For my height, I was bordering on morbidly obese. I am 30 years old. If I don't get control now, I won't ever and I know it.

So here we are. Keep up the good work! It's worth it!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
I've ALWAYS had an issue with weight. As a child, I remember my grandmother and great-grandmother (both incredibly thin their entire lives...the first publishing two amazing cookbooks before her death in 2009) feeding me in times of happiness, sorrow, or indifference. Food was and still is a crutch to me; a confining cycle of overindulgence and guilt. This is NO way to live life.
After my mother had two strokes in 2007 ( I was 18), something of a fire started burning within me regarding my lifestyle choices. Turning to alcohol and other select destructive substances, I lost weight almost effortlessly. My highest estimated weight was 275 lbs my senior year in high school. After my mother fell ill, I started telling myself that I was fat and disgusting, and restricting my caloric intake of food to disgustingly low proportions. Every bite of food I put in my mouth made me feel awful about myself. People around me noticed, and urged me to consume more - but I couldn't bring myself to do so.
Poverty during my first few years of college also proved to be a weigh loss tool, as my roommates and I were unable to afford too much of any food.
I recently re-discovered LC, after being successful with Atkins around the age of 16. Now, my WOE is more about health than self-loathing or deprivation. I want to be thin(ner), but I also want to be HEALTHY. The combination of those two elements helped me decide that an LC WOE is the only way to go. I'll be graduating as a Registered Nurse AND getting married in May of next year, so staying on track and focused is the catalyst of my current weight loss endeavor. I refuse to be a fat nurse. I refuse to let my past childhood habits control me for the rest of my life.

Phew...sorry to unload, guys. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 168/133
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/13
Hi, Samgsd, for me it was my high cholesterol. My doctor wanted me on meds and I knew there was a better way to get my cholesterol down. Atkins was it . I knew there was no other 'diet' that I could do (meaning calorie counting, low-fat, etc.).

I also needed to lose the weight that I had put on during my pregnancies. After my 6th child I was not too heavy but every year since then the scale kept going up a few pounds as well. .

I started Atkins Jan. of this year. Stayed on induction for three weeks and moved on. I researched and found many recipes for delish desserts and such. My whole family is eating better thanks to my lifestyle change (thank you Atkins).

Before Atkins I tried to stay away from processed foods and sugar. Every year I made a few changes like eating foods without dyes and such. When I started Atkins I loved that I jumped in with both feet and it sort of pushed me to really stop eating junky-fake foods.

My kids still eat cheerios but hopefully one day even that will be out of the house.

As of today I am 3lbs away from my 130lb goal weight. I have been maintaining 133lbs for three months now and I'm thrilled. I do eat a cheeseburger about once a week now. I love cheeseburgers before though I didn't cheat or splurge at all. When I ate out I'd always take food with me or purchase my burger without the bread. Now that I'm at my happy place I do splurge and only take one piece of the bread off.

Currently I'm on life time maintenance with Atkins but I still need to get those 3lbs off but I haven't been trying because I'm just so happy to be able to eat what I want (Low-carb of course).

And that's my story
Homeschooling6Mom is offline   Reply With Quote