Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Can I eat KFC without the breadcrumbs? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/816046-can-i-eat-kfc-without-breadcrumbs.html)

Sue68k 10-26-2013 01:52 PM

Can I eat KFC without the breadcrumbs?

Do you think I could buy a KFC and remove the crispy skin and just eat the chicken? Logically I don't see why not but what do you think?

ASHLEY2HAWAII 10-26-2013 01:55 PM

Just order the grilled:)

Ntombi 10-26-2013 02:07 PM

Yes, order the grilled.

I wouldn't order the fried. They inject all of the chicken with a sugary brine, but the grilled is the better out of not good choices at KFC.

Sue68k 10-26-2013 02:11 PM

I'm in the UK - I've looked and we can get a grilled BBQ ranch salad but that's the only grilled chicken there is and it's 16 carbs. No thanks! It's in their "healthy" range so that's as good as our grilled chicken is going to get. Removing the coating from their regular chicken surely must be better?

ASHLEY2HAWAII 10-26-2013 02:16 PM

Is KFC your only choice :dunno:

Ntombi 10-26-2013 02:19 PM

Yeah, I'd switch to a different place.

But if you're set on eating at KFC, and there's no grilled chicken in the UK (here, they have all the same pieces offered grilled), yes, I'd remove the breading and eat the chicken.

Sue68k 10-26-2013 02:22 PM

It's not my only choice, or even my first choice, just thought it could be a fast food outlet that could be carb friendly, I never thought it was injected with sugar! I'll avoid it I think.

Ntombi 10-26-2013 02:27 PM

For fast food, burgers are the easiest for me. Bunless burgers (with no sweet sauce) are a great choice, and easily accessible.

Low Carb Librarian 10-26-2013 03:03 PM

I used to get their boneless grilled chicken breasts - their site said 0 carbs.
Those saved me more than once when I was doing LC.

Ntombi 10-26-2013 03:05 PM

She's saying in the UK, they don't have the same grilled chicken we do.

skittles1982 10-26-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue68k (Post 16659324)
Do you think I could buy a KFC and remove the crispy skin and just eat the chicken? Logically I don't see why not but what do you think?

Yes, you can do that. That's what I did until they came out with the grilled chicken.

skittles1982 10-26-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue68k (Post 16659359)
It's not my only choice, or even my first choice, just thought it could be a fast food outlet that could be carb friendly, I never thought it was injected with sugar! I'll avoid it I think.

EW! If it's injected with suger, I will cry! Sheesh! Why can't they just leave it alone, ya know? UGH

Sue68k 10-27-2013 12:00 AM

I know, I'd never considered for a moment it was injected with sugar! Gee that white stuff is everywhere. I'm wary of hamburgers because they sometimes have fillers but yes, that's what I did last week, had a burger and threw away the bun.

Tril 10-27-2013 01:43 PM

The KFC website says they marinate the chicken before breading it. But I found a forum where employees of KFC give the real scoop. One of them said they USED to marinate it in the restaurant prior to cooking, now it comes "pre-marinated". I looked on the KFC website for the marinade ingredients. It says...

Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate.

The coating DOES contain sugar.

skittles1982 10-27-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tril (Post 16660271)
The KFC website says they marinate the chicken before breading it. But I found a forum where employees of KFC give the real scoop. One of them said they USED to marinate it in the restaurant prior to cooking, now it comes "pre-marinated". I looked on the KFC website for the marinade ingredients. It says...

Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate.

The coating DOES contain sugar.

OMG that's so sad...ugh...sugar is everywhere!! Sheesh!!!:cry:

Tril 10-27-2013 05:08 PM

It's junky fast food. Expect it!

Sue68k 11-03-2013 09:43 AM

I've just looked at the KFC website and their nutritional guide, amazingly there's nutrition for original recipe breast with no skin or breading! And the carb count? ZERO!

NYCPhT 11-24-2013 03:44 AM

I ate it in induction & still lost...

I must admit I ate KFC for lunch 1-2 times per week during the first few weeks after going low carb. I still eat it occasionally when I don't bring food from home. It's directly across the street from my job and its either that or Mickey D's, I see KFC as the lesser of two evils. I order the 2 piece original or extra crispy, no biscuit & no drink. Ate the breading & it didn't affect me negatively but everyone is different :)

Ntombi 11-24-2013 03:52 AM

Yes we are, because I'll go to McDonald's and find a dozen ways to eat on plan with no problem. A bunless burger is easy and satisfying for me, and I wouldn't choose KFC (or Church's or any other fast food fried chicken) over a burger place when I'm eatng on plan. :shake:

NYCPhT 11-24-2013 04:50 AM

Too much temptation at the Golden Arches

There's too much temptation at McDonalds for me, i couldn't resist eating the bun!!! My mouth is watering right now just thinking about a big juicy Angus burger with bacon & cheese & red onions mmmm plus a large hot coffe wtih 5 sugars & 10 creamers AND an apple pie (ok 2 apple pies) to top it off :love: (hold the fries & the soda) LOL. Fried chicken was never a favorite of mine it always made me feel slightly sick after eating it (still does actually) so make an effort to pack my lunch every day plus I carry an Atkins shake (and a treat) in my purse at all times...