Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
pulchritudinous_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 254
Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Climbing back on the wagon...

I'm re-inducting after three bad days in the past week. Feeling bloated, sluggish, and foggy from overindulgence in highly processed, carby junk. I'm feeling pretty disappointed in myself for ruining an almost three month clean eating streak for no good reason at all. The thing is, I've been unable to identify the trigger. What makes YOU want to "cheat"? How do you cope?
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 659
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
I want to cheat when I feel deprived, or when I've been overly strict for a few days.

Maybe you didn't have any specific trigger. You ate off plan, and then continued for 3 days, rather than getting right back on.

That is the hard part, getting right back on, but something we all have to learn.

Just keep working on it.

Personally I'm doing well with the occasional break, but it's only 1 meal, never 2 in a row. And then I'm right back on. And my breaks haven't been too extreme, but dinner out is always nice.

Actually did a Chinese Buffet tonight, and my splurges were 3 pieces of sushi. That's it, the rest was meat and some veggies (yea, I know, there were some other hidden carbs too, but not too many).

But this is what I need to do to be able to stay on plan the rest of the time.
__________________
My Skinny Jeans (NK Journal)
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I get through by reminding myself that one cheat will equal days of screwed up blood sugar. Also, based on past experience, I'm just afraid to cheat even once for fear it will start the slide down to the darkside again.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
I've been on Induction for one month and a couple of days.
I have been on and off Weight Watchers countless of times and truthfully I cannot stay on the thing long term. It's even worse discovering I had elevated blood sugar which has come down considerably eating the Atkins low carb diet way.
To cheat on this diet is unthinkable. I have over 100 lbs. to lose. I know I had lost 6 lbs starting at Dinnertime on Sept. 19th after learning my blood sugar was quite elevated and so thrilled that I can easily stick to this diet and love the food choices even on Induction.
My committment is 1 year. That's a long time but I am convinced that this is the ticket to a good solid weight loss and I have to live it and give it my all.
My suggestion is to give yourself a good amount of time and write down your weight, your thoughts and goals in a Journal along with recipes and tips so you make this attempt count.
I do travel nursing. I started out with Weight Watchers at 300 lbs and came home and weighed in at 286 lbs so I lost about an average if 1 lb a week. I went on Atkins 3 days later and I lost 6 lbs in that week alone.
I don't know how I did since but I am following Induction and Dec. 27th I will leave Vegas(working in ICU) then and on Dec 28th will weigh in 13 weeks later and see how I did.
I have increased my activity level a lot more than when I was in CA and home in FL so I hope that I lost more than when I left.
I am battling Hypothyroidism and elevated blood sugar so it poses a challenge but I know I can win this battle over time.
When you think about it, you ditch the simple sugars and carbs for fats and more proteins and derive your carbs from plants. In theory this is a win win and just believe in Dr. Atkins and his diet.
I personally have met people in Vegas that have lost as little as 40 lbs to 155 lbs down in 1 year. All have made it to goal. Join them and I'm going at this with everything I got lol!!!!
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
CF1
Junior LCF Member
 
CF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 10
Gallery: CF1
Stats: 216/195/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/15/13
Back on induction again. Had a great run early in this year and went from 232 down to 209. I'm back up to 216 and want to get down to 185. I'd like to be disciplined enough to make this a life choice and not a diet!

Rob
CF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
pulchritudinous_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 254
Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseChef View Post
I've been on Induction for one month and a couple of days.
I have been on and off Weight Watchers countless of times and truthfully I cannot stay on the thing long term. It's even worse discovering I had elevated blood sugar which has come down considerably eating the Atkins low carb diet way.
To cheat on this diet is unthinkable. I have over 100 lbs. to lose. I know I had lost 6 lbs starting at Dinnertime on Sept. 19th after learning my blood sugar was quite elevated and so thrilled that I can easily stick to this diet and love the food choices even on Induction.
My committment is 1 year. That's a long time but I am convinced that this is the ticket to a good solid weight loss and I have to live it and give it my all.
My suggestion is to give yourself a good amount of time and write down your weight, your thoughts and goals in a Journal along with recipes and tips so you make this attempt count.
I do travel nursing. I started out with Weight Watchers at 300 lbs and came home and weighed in at 286 lbs so I lost about an average if 1 lb a week. I went on Atkins 3 days later and I lost 6 lbs in that week alone.
I don't know how I did since but I am following Induction and Dec. 27th I will leave Vegas(working in ICU) then and on Dec 28th will weigh in 13 weeks later and see how I did.
I have increased my activity level a lot more than when I was in CA and home in FL so I hope that I lost more than when I left.
I am battling Hypothyroidism and elevated blood sugar so it poses a challenge but I know I can win this battle over time.
When you think about it, you ditch the simple sugars and carbs for fats and more proteins and derive your carbs from plants. In theory this is a win win and just believe in Dr. Atkins and his diet.
I personally have met people in Vegas that have lost as little as 40 lbs to 155 lbs down in 1 year. All have made it to goal. Join them and I'm going at this with everything I got lol!!!!
Thanks for the great insight! Have you had to deal with any snider remarks from co-workers regarding your new WOE? I'll be working as an RN by next summer (NCLEX permitting ;-)) and was curious as to how well received LC will be.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 59
Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
The Drs. I work with and my co-workers in ICU are extremely supportive. Green light given on Induction. My blood sugar is much better in control thank goodness!
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Posts: 5
Gallery: justmaxine55
Stats: 256.8/245.8/180
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 10/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulchritudinous_j View Post
Thanks for the great insight! Have you had to deal with any snider remarks from co-workers regarding your new WOE? I'll be working as an RN by next summer (NCLEX permitting ;-)) and was curious as to how well received LC will be.
Why tell them? Just let them see the results!
justmaxine55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
NYCPhT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 15
Gallery: NYCPhT
Stats: 288/266/144
WOE: NK / HFLC
Start Date: 09/20/2013
Emotional eater

I'm an emotional (ch)eater so when I have a bad day or I'm feeling anxious I have the urge to (ch)eat. I deal with cheating in a few ways
1. I identify the reason I feel the need to cheat and if there is some underlying cause i deal with it.
2. I indulge occasionally so I don't feel deprived & completely fall off the wagon.
3. I know my triggers & keep low carb versions (yeah for Atkins indulge treats)
4. Tell myself that if I do cheat once it's not the end of the world/diet or a reason to continue cheating. It's a tiny slip-up, I'll get back on track with my next meal and maybe do a couple more minutes on the treadmill tomorrow...
NYCPhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
pulchritudinous_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 254
Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
I aplogize for the late reply, but I wanted thank you all for your insight and guidance. I'm not sure how I would continue this endeavor without the support Ive found within this forum. You guys ROCK.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
LowCarbedD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,029
Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I get through by reminding myself that one cheat will equal days of screwed up blood sugar. Also, based on past experience, I'm just afraid to cheat even once for fear it will start the slide down to the darkside again.
This is exactly where I am! My history is that cheats can lead to more cheats...then a relaxing of exercise and eating..that leads to 20-30 lbs up I then wake up from my carb coma ...and have to decide if I just give up being trim and fit...or roll back on the wagon...
Ive maintained as long as 7 yrs....and as short as 2 yrs....

My slide always starts with "cheats" then a rationalization why cheats are ok...then the addiction takes over....
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Kat41057's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 43
Gallery: Kat41057
Stats: 194/194/180
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Oct. 2014
I have a question for all doing Induction. Were you strict in weighing and measuring your veggies? I have done Induction, but really struggled with weighing and measuring my veggies. 2gms here, or 4 gms here. I was always on target with my fats. Kat
Kat41057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
pulchritudinous_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 254
Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Hi, Kat!
I measure my veggies because I usually underestimate my portions. Things like spaghetti squash and brus sprouts can add carbs FAST, so those are two to keep an eye on.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.