Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Climbing back on the wagon... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/814210-climbing-back-wagon.html)

pulchritudinous_j 10-07-2013 06:52 PM

Climbing back on the wagon...

I'm re-inducting after three bad days in the past week. Feeling bloated, sluggish, and foggy from overindulgence in highly processed, carby junk. I'm feeling pretty disappointed in myself for ruining an almost three month clean eating streak for no good reason at all. The thing is, I've been unable to identify the trigger. What makes YOU want to "cheat"? How do you cope?

AnnetteW 10-11-2013 07:52 PM

I want to cheat when I feel deprived, or when I've been overly strict for a few days.

Maybe you didn't have any specific trigger. You ate off plan, and then continued for 3 days, rather than getting right back on.

That is the hard part, getting right back on, but something we all have to learn.

Just keep working on it.

Personally I'm doing well with the occasional break, but it's only 1 meal, never 2 in a row. And then I'm right back on. And my breaks haven't been too extreme, but dinner out is always nice.

Actually did a Chinese Buffet tonight, and my splurges were 3 pieces of sushi. That's it, the rest was meat and some veggies (yea, I know, there were some other hidden carbs too, but not too many).

But this is what I need to do to be able to stay on plan the rest of the time.

Aomiel 10-14-2013 02:05 PM

I get through by reminding myself that one cheat will equal days of screwed up blood sugar. Also, based on past experience, I'm just afraid to cheat even once for fear it will start the slide down to the darkside again.

NurseChef 10-19-2013 09:37 AM

I've been on Induction for one month and a couple of days.
I have been on and off Weight Watchers countless of times and truthfully I cannot stay on the thing long term. It's even worse discovering I had elevated blood sugar which has come down considerably eating the Atkins low carb diet way.
To cheat on this diet is unthinkable. I have over 100 lbs. to lose. I know I had lost 6 lbs starting at Dinnertime on Sept. 19th after learning my blood sugar was quite elevated and so thrilled that I can easily stick to this diet and love the food choices even on Induction.
My committment is 1 year. That's a long time but I am convinced that this is the ticket to a good solid weight loss and I have to live it and give it my all.
My suggestion is to give yourself a good amount of time and write down your weight, your thoughts and goals in a Journal along with recipes and tips so you make this attempt count.
I do travel nursing. I started out with Weight Watchers at 300 lbs and came home and weighed in at 286 lbs so I lost about an average if 1 lb a week. I went on Atkins 3 days later and I lost 6 lbs in that week alone.
I don't know how I did since but I am following Induction and Dec. 27th I will leave Vegas(working in ICU) then and on Dec 28th will weigh in 13 weeks later and see how I did.
I have increased my activity level a lot more than when I was in CA and home in FL so I hope that I lost more than when I left.
I am battling Hypothyroidism and elevated blood sugar so it poses a challenge but I know I can win this battle over time.
When you think about it, you ditch the simple sugars and carbs for fats and more proteins and derive your carbs from plants. In theory this is a win win and just believe in Dr. Atkins and his diet.
I personally have met people in Vegas that have lost as little as 40 lbs to 155 lbs down in 1 year. All have made it to goal. Join them and I'm going at this with everything I got lol!!!!

CF1 10-21-2013 05:25 PM

Back on induction again. Had a great run early in this year and went from 232 down to 209. I'm back up to 216 and want to get down to 185. I'd like to be disciplined enough to make this a life choice and not a diet!

Rob

pulchritudinous_j 10-21-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseChef (Post 16649999)
I've been on Induction for one month and a couple of days.
I have been on and off Weight Watchers countless of times and truthfully I cannot stay on the thing long term. It's even worse discovering I had elevated blood sugar which has come down considerably eating the Atkins low carb diet way.
To cheat on this diet is unthinkable. I have over 100 lbs. to lose. I know I had lost 6 lbs starting at Dinnertime on Sept. 19th after learning my blood sugar was quite elevated and so thrilled that I can easily stick to this diet and love the food choices even on Induction.
My committment is 1 year. That's a long time but I am convinced that this is the ticket to a good solid weight loss and I have to live it and give it my all.
My suggestion is to give yourself a good amount of time and write down your weight, your thoughts and goals in a Journal along with recipes and tips so you make this attempt count.
I do travel nursing. I started out with Weight Watchers at 300 lbs and came home and weighed in at 286 lbs so I lost about an average if 1 lb a week. I went on Atkins 3 days later and I lost 6 lbs in that week alone.
I don't know how I did since but I am following Induction and Dec. 27th I will leave Vegas(working in ICU) then and on Dec 28th will weigh in 13 weeks later and see how I did.
I have increased my activity level a lot more than when I was in CA and home in FL so I hope that I lost more than when I left.
I am battling Hypothyroidism and elevated blood sugar so it poses a challenge but I know I can win this battle over time.
When you think about it, you ditch the simple sugars and carbs for fats and more proteins and derive your carbs from plants. In theory this is a win win and just believe in Dr. Atkins and his diet.
I personally have met people in Vegas that have lost as little as 40 lbs to 155 lbs down in 1 year. All have made it to goal. Join them and I'm going at this with everything I got lol!!!!

Thanks for the great insight! Have you had to deal with any snider remarks from co-workers regarding your new WOE? I'll be working as an RN by next summer (NCLEX permitting ;-)) and was curious as to how well received LC will be.

NurseChef 10-22-2013 06:58 PM

The Drs. I work with and my co-workers in ICU are extremely supportive. Green light given on Induction. My blood sugar is much better in control thank goodness!

justmaxine55 10-25-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulchritudinous_j (Post 16653031)
Thanks for the great insight! Have you had to deal with any snider remarks from co-workers regarding your new WOE? I'll be working as an RN by next summer (NCLEX permitting ;-)) and was curious as to how well received LC will be.

Why tell them? Just let them see the results!:)

NYCPhT 11-24-2013 05:28 AM

Emotional eater

I'm an emotional (ch)eater so when I have a bad day or I'm feeling anxious I have the urge to (ch)eat. I deal with cheating in a few ways
1. I identify the reason I feel the need to cheat and if there is some underlying cause i deal with it.
2. I indulge occasionally so I don't feel deprived & completely fall off the wagon.
3. I know my triggers & keep low carb versions (yeah for Atkins indulge treats)
4. Tell myself that if I do cheat once it's not the end of the world/diet or a reason to continue cheating. It's a tiny slip-up, I'll get back on track with my next meal and maybe do a couple more minutes on the treadmill tomorrow...

pulchritudinous_j 12-06-2013 09:19 PM

I aplogize for the late reply, but I wanted thank you all for your insight and guidance. I'm not sure how I would continue this endeavor without the support Ive found within this forum. You guys ROCK.

LowCarbedD 12-15-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16642958)
I get through by reminding myself that one cheat will equal days of screwed up blood sugar. Also, based on past experience, I'm just afraid to cheat even once for fear it will start the slide down to the darkside again.

This is exactly where I am! My history is that cheats can lead to more cheats...then a relaxing of exercise and eating..that leads to 20-30 lbs up I then wake up from my carb coma ...and have to decide if I just give up being trim and fit...or roll back on the wagon...
Ive maintained as long as 7 yrs....and as short as 2 yrs....

My slide always starts with "cheats" then a rationalization why cheats are ok...then the addiction takes over....

Kat41057 01-03-2014 08:57 AM

I have a question for all doing Induction. Were you strict in weighing and measuring your veggies? I have done Induction, but really struggled with weighing and measuring my veggies. 2gms here, or 4 gms here. I was always on target with my fats. Kat :)

pulchritudinous_j 01-03-2014 10:29 AM

Hi, Kat!
I measure my veggies because I usually underestimate my portions. Things like spaghetti squash and brus sprouts can add carbs FAST, so those are two to keep an eye on. :)