Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougogirl
Stats: 130/130/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/7/13
What to do when you want to maintain - not lose any more

Hello This is my first post. I am not a "dieter". I have never had a real weight problem however, I am getting older (49) and I quit smoking a year ago. I gained about 18 pounds - from 112 to 130 at 5'4". Eight of them are fine the other 10 really show as bumpy jiggly fat and a new muffin top on me. I don't care to eat a lot of sweets, never any fast food but I do have a weakness for mexican food. I don't eat "junk food" really, just tortilla chips with cheese dip (that is my craving).I eat organic when possible. I have always just eaten what I wanted to eat. One day that might have been fruit, veggies and meat and on another tortilla chips and a bowl of Queso dip. Sadly for me I can't do that anymore. I am on day 5 of Atkins induction and the keto strips are at the moderate level so I really don't know if I'm in ketosis or not. I am of course miserable not eating carbs. I don't care about the pasta, rice, beans or bread. What I really want is some sugar in my coffee and tea, fruit and tortillas. Any and all artificial or "other than sugar" (stevia) sweeteners are repulsive to me. I am using Stevia and Truvia in my drinks now but they just make me unhappy.

Here is my question: Since this is a way of eating for life, where do you balance out the carbs if you don't want to lose any more weight but still want to burn any potential new fat that may have eyes on your thighs? By the time this horrid 2 weeks is over I will have lost the 10 lbs I wanted gone. At my age if I were to lose more weight, my wrinkles would just show up and being too thin is not attractive. I am not currently exercising but plan to start once induction is over. Thanks for any advice!
yougogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My suggestion would be more of a standard calorie counting program. If you are truly miserable, it won't matter if you lose the ten pounds because it will come back and more once you go back to eating sugar. Try using an online tracker, figure out how many calories you need to lose, and then just go from there. This way you can add your sugar back in. Personally I don't think that anyone should eat sugar so eating as little as possible would be key. Anything that makes you miserable is not going to be sustainable for life, IMHO, unless you understand the science behind what you are doing and it becomes something that you REALLY want to do. Good luck finding your balance.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougogirl
Stats: 130/130/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/7/13
Thanks for replying - I just saw it. I am doing the Atkins induction because I really wanted those ten pounds to melt off before I start Body-for-Life. I know that when you are in a state of ketosis that your body urns off fat and not muscle. I like my coffee with sugar, most people do. Artificial sweeteners, no matter which one, make me feel a little sick. I do not enjoy them. Life is short -we should enjoy as much as possible. What I was really asking is what is the line, generally speaking, for carb consumption so you maintain your weight. If anyone knows more about that I would love to hear it. I have the latest Atkins book. I have read it but real life experience is more valuable. The book is really geared towards people with a greater amount of weight they want to lose than I do.
yougogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Littlequestions
Stats: 210/170/150
Everyone is different so finding out what someone else's count is for carb consumption to maintain isn't going to be yours. It could be 30 carbs for one person and 80 carbs for another. You'd have to add them back slowly to find your critical carb level for maintaining.

I just read The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet which basically calls for 2 very low carb meals and then one meal a day that allow carbs provided you consume it within an hour window. Once I get to my goal, I plan on switching over to that plan. I'm hoping to maintain my weight while still enjoying some carbs.
Littlequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
There are all sorts of reasons one might follow a low carb diet, weight loss isn't the only reason. Just getting grains out of the diet might help one person with digestion issues, others (like me) have prediabetes/diabetes, etc.

You can follow a lower carb diet and still possibly have some sugar in your coffee. It's an overall carb count for the day, though some people stay as close to Zero as possible. It doesn't mean you have to.

If the only thing that is making you unhappy is not having sugar in your coffee, just have that sugar. If the rest of the diet works for you, terrific. If you find you don't lose the weight, well, perhaps it is the sugar. But 2 t in the morning coffee is a lot different that 1/4 c spread out over the day in multiple cups.

Ketosis helps keep hunger away, that's one of the joys of it. And for people who tend to overeat and binge, it's a wonderful help. But other people don't have binging tendancies, so perhaps being in ketosis isn't important for them.

We all just find what works for us.

You might find you just need to cut back on carbs a little bit, watch your quantities and get a little more active, and that 10 lbs will be gone. Good luck with the plan you choose.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
FYI... there's no guarantee that two weeks of Induction will cause a ten pound loss, either. The larger numbers are usually for people with a lot to lose. If someone has 100 pounds to lose and drops ten pounds in Induction, then you... with only ten pounds to lose... will probably lose much less. You'll lose water weight by entering ketosis. It takes water to hold glycogen (stored carbohydrate) in your tissues. Once you use up the glycogen and you don't make more, then the water used to hold it is eliminated. Go back to producing glycogen (leave ketosis) and your body will replenish its glycogen stores... and you'll "gain" the water weight back.

Honestly... Induction is only the beginning. It's not a diet in and of itself. It will be interesting to see if it works for you and if you're able to transition to another way of eating without regaining what you might lose in these two weeks. Please keep us informed of your progress so we can guide others in the future with your experience.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote