Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tramsey4
Stats: 300/266/220
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2013
Am I eating right?

So far I have lost 34 pounds doing Atkins with light exercise due to my job. I have been on Atkins for a month and a half now and usually eat the same foods and mix it up every other day. I have noticed this past week I have not shed any pounds but my clothes are feeling looser. My question to everyone is am i eating right? At my size I should be losing weight quickly and then slow down when I get closer to normal weight but that isn't the case. Here is what I am eating on an average day, please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled, 3 slices bacon, lemon water 16oz, 1 multi-v, 1 green tea vitamin

Lunch: 2-3 chicken tenderloins OR 6-8oz hamburger steak using George Foreman grill. 1 oz mixed shredded cheese. 1 large zucchini sliced & sauteed, 1 multi-v and green tea vitamin

Afternoon Snack: 1 whole medium cucumber skinned

Dinner: 2-3 chicken tenderloins OR 6-8oz hamburger steak using George Foreman grill. 1 oz mixed shredded cheese. 1 large zucchini sliced & sauteed OR 1 bag of steam in bag of broccoli, half medium yellow onion sauteed

I know it this is a long post but I want to make sure all the info is out there for you all to know what I am doing.
tramsey4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Your diet looks fine, but are you saying that you haven't lost anything this week, or not at all?

If you're just talking about this week, it's normal to have fluctuations or slow downs and accelerations in weight loss, it's not a steady thing.

Also, if your clothes are looser while the scale is the same, you're losing fat, but retaining water, another very common thing. Basically, the fat cells keep water as a place holder, in case your fat loss was a temporary thing. Once you've kept the fat away for a period of time (generally weeks), the fat cells release that water. Remember, we've evolved to keep weight on more easily than lose it, as famine and drought were more likely than food abundance until very recently.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 07-25-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I have not lost any pounds but I think I may have lost some size. Last week I was one notch on my belt and this week I'm straining but I can get into the next notch.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I was editing and adding to my post as you were writing. Sounds like you've definitely lost fat, just waiting for the water to be released. We've all been there!

I strongly suggest you measure yourself at several key points. You'd be surprised at your progress in losing inches when you think you may be stalled. I went through a period of almost three months during which I lost under two pounds, but went down a size and a half in jeans!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Nice. Congrats on that. Do you think I am eating enough calories as well? I think I am getting in around 1700 per day. According to google my veggie net carb count ends up being 21 daily as well. I'm concerned that it's a little high and that could be the reason I am not shedding the pounds as fast I as should at my size.
I am also fully aware if I crank up my exercise routine from 3 30 minute workouts a week to 5 or 6 1 hour then I will lose a lot faster. Kinda hard to do with work sometimes.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Your carbs look fine to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting more exercise. Studies have shown that it doesn't help as much as people assume.

Also, not to discourage you from exercising, because that's not my goal, but when you work out and strain your muscles, they need water to repair themselves. So exercise, in the form of strenuous cardio or weight training, can be helpful long term, but in the short term, the scale doesn't move because of the water retention. Just something to be aware of and yet another reason to measure.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I gotcha. I guess I can't complain losing 34 pounds in 1.5 months. My original goal was 50 down in 2 months. I think I will crank up my water intake because of my sodium intake. Even though I am getting fiber from veggies, should I also take a fiber supp?

Sorry for all the questions. I am a little bit of a perfectionist and want to do this all right.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Fifty pounds in two months is very very fast. It means that you'll be losing some muscle as well, which you don't want. There's a certain rate after which the body can't lose fat.

Taking a fiber supplement is up to you. I don't. As for sodium intake, being in ketosis means that your sodium and potassium needs are higher, so I wouldn't worry about that. I do drink a lot of water because it's healthy and it helps me, not to flush out sodium.

Perfectionism will only take you so far. Eating exactly right still may not give you "perfect" results. Our bodies are complex, and our choices only account for part of the equation. Just focus on doing what you can, and let the weight loss follow as it does.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
34 pounds in 6 weeks is phenomenal! Don't be surprised if you go a week or two (or three) without losing anything and then dropping a lot more weight. I lost 70 pounds in 3 months and that's what happened to me. I think it's just the body trying to catch up.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
34 pounds is 6 weeks is a great achievement!!!!
As Aomiel said, do not be surprised if you slow down a bit...
Keep up the good work and congratulations!
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
YOur success to date is wonderful--- congratulations!

The only thing I see about your menu is that it's a little lean. I don't think you need to change anything, because pauses in weight loss are normal, but if you want to tweak one thing, I'd say add some good fat like butter, olive oil, or a fattier type of chicken-- I like thighs with skin.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote