Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spidermom
Starting over...

Hi everyone! I am starting Atkins Monday morning! I am 54 years young. I did Atkins 10 years ago and was very successful and am hoping I am this time too! Is it harder to lose the second time? Any advice from some 50+ people?
Spidermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Some say it's harder on subsequent rounds.

I say it's because we're older (I've seen experts say that we need 100 cal less per decade) and because we know a lot of tricks and recipes that make our meal plans too gunky.

I think if you're mindful of calorie needs and eat at a comfortable deficit while keeping your protein, carbs, and fats at the right levels, it works at any age. I'm 52 and I'm doing okay, and I did atkins a decade ago, too.

I think we need to not fear fat, because low carb works best as low carb, moderate protein, and high fat, while attending to what your body does or does not do well on (recipes, cheese/cream, higher calories/more carbs than we realize, etc).

I think we need to remember that new science has offered us a lot... It shows that healthy persons who eat a LC food plan need to supplement with plenty of salt, such as 2 daily cups of full-salt broth/bouillon or an extra teaspoon or two of table salt or sea salt. And it shows that women usually do well when they add 5 1-tbl servings of good fats to their meats and veggies.

Last edited by emel; 07-20-2013 at 06:55 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spidermom
Thanks emel! I will keep this all in mind. I have to beware of my potassium going low on this WOE. So I know I need the extra salt to keep me from losing to much water!
Spidermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermom View Post
Hi everyone! I am starting Atkins Monday morning! I am 54 years young. I did Atkins 10 years ago and was very successful and am hoping I am this time too! Is it harder to lose the second time? Any advice from some 50+ people?
I'm 57 and I didn't find it harder. I lost my first 70 pounds in 3 months...and the last 35 pounds in 2 months. The in between pounds? Well, I'll be honest and say I just wasn't consistent enough.

I've done Atkins on and off for 40 years and, yes, I lost much faster in my 20's than I do now as a postmenopausal woman, but I still lose faster and without the hunger on low carb than I ever did, even when younger, on a higher carb diet.

Now for the bad news...I did have to count calories and I stayed in strict induction. I simply ate protein and non-starchy vegies. No processed low carb bars, desserts, etc.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NewMe
Stats: 197/197/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 22, 2013
Hello Spidermom. I am new here, also started on Monday.
NewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
HOpe all goes well for our newcomers.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lower55
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 9/25/09
Hi to all the restarters!

I am starting over after quite a few years of rewarding myself for quitting smoking (7 years) and making it through menopause without doing serious bodily injury to anyone! Time to get back on the wagon but I have to find my book.
Lower55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bethany66
Stats: 198/170/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
Back in the saddle again...

At 47 years of age, I too am returning to the correct WOE for me. I started the Atkins plan one year ago and lost 30 pounds very quickly. Then I started training for a 2 day, 40 mile breast cancer walk (6 year survivor!!) and ate a lot of things I shouldn't have. I justified it by all the walking I was doing, and it is true I didn't gain much weight, but the weight loss pretty much stopped. Now I have finished the 40 mile walk and I need to get back to the weight loss mode again. I have actually gained about 6 lbs back, and the train must stop here and change direction! I have my calendar out and have begun planning my menus. I have purged the house of evil food and am restocking with healthy, low carb alternatives. The first few days with no sugar are rough, but we will get through them and on to fitness again. It is such a mind game to get your body running good again.
bethany66 is offline   Reply With Quote