Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Problems adapting to carbs after two months low carbing?

I appreciate Atkins/low carbohydrate diets working for some people, especially those who are metabolically damaged and those that are/were obese. I just wanted to lose a few pounds and went low carb cold turkey for the first time and it ended in disaster. I lost weight but I started getting reactive hypoglycemic attacks, constant fatigue and poor mental acuity. I was stubborn and stuck it out for two months, increasing carbs gradually instead of switching back to high carb immediately.

I've tried a moderate carb intake, more starch, more fruit. It just isn't working. I have quit gluten, wheat, sugar and other processed foods for good, but I'm trying to incorporate more starches and fruit into my diet. I'm running into some problems.

My energy levels have improved, but not significantly. Before it was the protein triggering a hypoglycemic attack, now it's the carbs. I get the chills and brain fog after eating a piece of fruit. I just don't feel like myself. Is this similar to the low carb flu, switching back to carbs? I've only incorporated refeeds in the past few days, and I don't feel like my body is utilizing the glucose (which is odd since trying to get 'fat-adapted' just equally dropped my energy levels).

Should I be more patient? I'm eating more starch in the form of potatoes and white rice, but I just don't experience a significant boost at 300-400g TOTAL carbs and 2,500 calories in a refeed.

I'm a male, 23, 140 lbs and 5'9. No health problems prior to low carb. I am certain this is diet induced since it is too coincidental to happen as soon as I switched to low carb. Sorry if this is a little contradictory to what every one else is posting around here.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
Do you think it's possible you just didn't know before doing Atkins that your body was sensitive to these items as you were already eating so many of them?

Before I went back to Atkins/low carb I didn't realize my blood sugar was running high until I started to test it again. That's what told me to go back to low carb.

Did you ever test yours before? How is it now?
AnnetteW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Do you think it's possible you just didn't know before doing Atkins that your body was sensitive to these items as you were already eating so many of them?

Before I went back to Atkins/low carb I didn't realize my blood sugar was running high until I started to test it again. That's what told me to go back to low carb.

Did you ever test yours before? How is it now?
No, I consumed all the foods I eat now with no ill effects. I use to feel great after a meal, especially a very high carb meal.

I tested mine yesterday. Had two steaks, green beans, some cheese and two potatoes. Approximately an hour after eating, my blood glucose levels were lower than normal at 65 mg/3.6 mmol. Shouldn't they shoot up after a starchy meal? I should have tested my fasting glucose levels but I suspect those were low to normal, too.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote