Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chris_v
loss of motivation - advice needed

Hi,
I have followed this forum for a while now but this is my first post. I started Atkins at the end of August last year. I weighed 175lbs when I started and by Christmas I was 140lbs and in Phase 3. 140lbs was my original goal to reach by Christmas. After years of starving myself on low fat diets and only ever losing about 7lbs I never thought I would be able to lose weight, 140lbs seemed impossible! I cheated for the first time at Christmas, I ate potatoes with my Christmas dinner as well as snacking on chips and dip and chocolates and having pudding! I put on a few pounds but managed to lose it all in a week by cutting down to about 50grams of carbs per day. Since then I have been somewhere between Phase 3 and 4 - I have been eating about 60grams of carbs per day including the occasional slice of bread, fries when we go out for dinner and have been having chinese takeout once a week. The only things I have completely avoided the whole time have been rice and pasta. I ave also cheated big time on two occassions - I ate chocolates and cake on my birthday and also some candy and cake on my sister's birthday. As a result I have only lost 4lbs since Christmas and have just maintained this weight of 136lbs. I am only 5'1 so 136lbs is still overweight for me. After eating the cake etc. on my birthday I tried to go back on induction but only lost 3lbs and ended up giving up on the 7th day, I felt sorry for myself and felt so deprived My new goal weight is 125lbs, I have my first wedding dress fitting in August and would love to be this weight by then but I am now worried I have cheated so much and done so much damage it is going to be impossible to lose this last 11lbs. I'm wondering should I just start all over again? Induction for 2 weeks, then phase 2, phase 3 and so on. Or should I just go back on induction until I lose it all? The first time I did induction I only lost 6lbs in the first 2weeks, it took me 6 weeks on it to lose 15lbs, I lost the weight slowly. I feel so upset and guilty that I have ruined all my hard work by being more relaxed and allowing myself to cheat over these past 6 months. Any advice would be much appreciated!
chris_v is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
You've had wonderful weightloss and you've maintained for 6 months, that is wonderful.

Let's try to think positive thoughts now too. Because you've maintained, your body is rested and well fed, primed and ready for the next round. If you are focused enough to do induction again, that would be great. If it is too hard, just go to the lower rungs of OWL, allow the nuts or berries, yogurt, whichever....but keep those carbs low.

Remember that you are quite a bit smaller now, your caloric need isn't as high as before, so don't overeat. And no cheats.

My goodness, a wedding dress is a marvelous goal to work towards.

Worse case scenario, you don't lose 10 lbs and you look lovely at the weight you are now, because you look fabulous as you are.

I'm sure you'll get lots of motivation from folks here. Have you picked out your dress yet?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your reply, it's great to have somewhere to talk about this - my other half is quite understanding and even dieted with me but my family/friends don't get it at all and continue to tell me all the bad things they've heard about Atkins! That's a good way of looking at it - that I'm rested and ready to go, I like that idea! I think I will try induction but with berries and greek yoghurt, the lower rungs of OWL as you say - I think that will make it easier as I really missed them. I would have berries for breakfast or lunch if I didn't feel like meat or eggs. Yes I have the dress picked out and I have tried it on, I would just love to be able to get it one size smaller so I would feel more comfortable in it I am having a meal with my dad tomorrow night and one with my friends on Friday night so I think I will start again on Monday and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 133, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Chris... don't wait. Start right now. Make how you eat MORE than about your weight... or your wedding gown. Eat now for health reasons. If you do, the weight will take care of itself. I say this because your wedding day will come, regardless of what you weigh, and then what? What will your "motivation" be then?? Being strong, lean and healthy as a goal never goes away. Maybe, too, changing your goal will change your mindset... and be the motivation you need to get back on the low carb way of life. In other words, try to look INSIDE you.. not at the outside of you. Find your motivation internally.

As for where to start... when is now... where is anywhere you feel is right for you. Beginning of OWL is a great place if it works for you. Then watch your portion sizes. The smaller you are, the less your body needs to maintain. Don't go TOO low, though, that's counter productive.

Do you exercise? Maybe you don't need to lose as much wt as you think, maybe you need to reshape your body instead? Something to think about... and a fitness goal would be motivating as well. I'm finding that for myself. I've set a goal to be able to leg press 200# (3 sets of 12) by the end of the summer.

Last thing... you've let some bad habits back in. Once you switch back to your good habits it will get easy again. Promise. It's the process that's hard. Knowing it gets easier makes you more willing to stick it out. So hang in there. Start small... get your water in today. Tomorrow do water and a lc b'fast. Keep adding small changes and before you know it, you'll be on your way.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Going back to induction levels of carbs can be very motivating.
You'll drop pounds right away, lose your appetite and carb cravings
and really feel a deep sense of accomplishment.
I say go for it.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
My advice depends on what's going on in your brain.

Do you feel deprived of certain things? There isn't much you can't make low carb- or a close approximation of- anymore. What is it you really crave? We can help with this! Bread, cake, cookies, ice cream, rice, fauxtato salad... it's all here waiting. Think of all you get to enjoy that low calorie people have to avoid: Do you really want to give up cream in your coffee, cream cheese, fat around your steak, crispy skin on your chicken, real ranch or italian dressing, bacon, avocados, macadamia nuts, cheese? Eat the things you truly love often!

If you feel deprived socially then invite friends to your place where you can control the party foods. Or choose the restaurant yourself when you know something you really like is available. I've been known to sneak my own low carb crackers, chips, roll or dressing into a restaurant and I make certain I have a low carb dessert ready and waiting for me when I get home. Planning ahead and deciding ahead of time what you are going to do is key.

Stalled out? Change it up. Try Induction again if your motivation is high- or lower calorie, or a fat fast or intermittent fasting... Try a day of just mac nuts. 1 oz eaten 5 times in 24 hours. Stay busy. Drink a lot of water.

If you are tired of cooking then I suggest making larger amounts when you do cook and eating leftover/ freezing portions more often. Saves prep time, planning menus time, cooking time and shopping time!

Tired of the same foods? There are a TON of things to eat! Try flavoring some plain greek yogurt and adding a few blueberries or chopped strawberries. Try a new kind of cheese or sausage. Try a new marinade, a new vegetable, a decadent creamy dessert. Make some crunchy crackers or mock Doritos. Make some biscuits with sausage gravy or a chocolate mousse pie.

Sometimes we're just plain tired and don't want to have to think about what we eat. Have a list of simple meals ready- egg, tomato and ham omelets or sausage and green beans or those minute steaks with peppers, onions and mushrooms all cook quickly. Get a rotisserie chicken or brisket to go from a barbeque place and a bag of salad or coleslaw mix. Learn microwave tricks, eat off of paper plates and use plastic forks. Buy frozen Atkins meals for real emergencies.

When you do feel the need to splurge- plan it, anticipate it, do it one meal or one day only and ENJOY it. Don't feel guilty. Life happens. But get right back to low carb.

You can do this!!!

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 06-15-2013 at 12:08 AM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies, as I said before - it is great having people to talk to. One of my friends insists on telling me that Atkins is bad for me and that I should be eating rice with every meal because a body builder once told him this - he infuriates me! I'm going to lend him my copy of the Atkins book I have. I definitely intend to spend much more time on this forum, great tips on here!

Well I am now on induction, well it's more like OWL because I am allowing myself very small portions of strawberries and some greek yoghurt. I had an omlette with ham and cheese for breakfast and am stuffed! I really hope I still can lose a significant amount of weight in the next 2 weeks even though I'm having strawberries and yoghurt, it would be so encouraging. I plan to stay on this for the next two weeks then go on to OWL properly and see how I get on. I went out for my meals on Thursday and Friday night and ate some potatos and some cheesecake, I put on about a pound as a result but wanted to eat these things before starting again to sort of sicken myself of them if you know what I mean?! I did that when I first started doing Atkins, I ate a cupcake the day before starting so that I wouldn't be thinking "oh it's been so long since I had this" etc. Before Atkins I had been on low fat diets for and always felt so deprived and was starving all the time so it's hard not associating a diet with that feeling of derprivation! I know that sounds stupid because I am eating so much great food on Atkins, it's just sometimes I feel sorry for myself and wish I could have a bag of chips etc. I'm focused now though!

The wedding dress is my motivation to get rid of these last 10-11lbs, once I lose them my long term goal will be to maintain that weight, I never want to be any bigger ever again! I was so miserable and depressed when I was heavier, I had absolutely no sense of self worth or any confidence at all - now I feel so much better, I am happier - my relationship with my fiance is better, I am more out-going, I am more productive at work and can talk to people without feeling self concious. I love it, I know I will feel so much better and like a super model if I get this last bit of weight off me (that sounds ridiculous, I know, but when I started Atkins i thought I'd be lucky if I lost 5lbs!)

Thanks again for the advice,
Chris x
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Actually, scratch the strawberries and greek yoghurt - the more I've thought about it I've decided I'm going to trade them for quicker weight loss by doing induction properly. I'm sure I can live without them for a while!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_v View Post
Actually, scratch the strawberries and greek yoghurt - the more I've thought about it I've decided I'm going to trade them for quicker weight loss by doing induction properly. I'm sure I can live without them for a while!
Yes!
And use it as yet another source of motivation.
One of my favorite snacks is some Greek yogurt sweetened with torani sf syrup and mixed with some berries and nuts. It's so deliscious.
Whenever I felt the need for quick weight loss I would omit this treat and tell myself "when I get to 'x' I'll have it again" LOL....I couldn't wait to get back to my one daily indulgence and so dropped the weight quickly.
good luck to you. You sound like a winner.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Yes!
And use it as yet another source of motivation.
One of my favorite snacks is some Greek yogurt sweetened with torani sf syrup and mixed with some berries and nuts. It's so deliscious.
Whenever I felt the need for quick weight loss I would omit this treat and tell myself "when I get to 'x' I'll have it again" LOL....I couldn't wait to get back to my one daily indulgence and so dropped the weight quickly.
good luck to you. You sound like a winner.
Haha, thank you - I'll feel like a winner when I get this last bit of weight off! That sounds delicious, I'm definitely going to have that when I reach my goal, that's definitely something to look forward to! I have a hard time finding sugar free syrups here (I'm in Ireland, you guys have the best choice of food in the US and Canada!!) but I'm sure I'll find something somewhere. Off topic, I have been to the US and Canada many times, was last there at Easter time and found it so easy to stick to Atkins due to the wide range of foods, here it's potatoes with everything!!

I weighed myself this morning (it's only Day 2 of induction and I know you shouldn't weigh yourself every day but I always have) and I'm 2lbs lighter so that's encouraging me. I can't wait to see what I weigh next Monday, I really hope I lose more than 2lbs! I read somewhere that there apparently is an equation - in induction you lose about 10% of what you need to lose overall i.e 6lbs if you need to lose 60lbs. I don't know if there is any truth in this but going by what I lost in induction first time round and what I wanted/needed to lose overall it sounds about right. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Not many people have the same success after the first time on Induction. It's a great way to get back into the low carb groove, but we seldom see large losses on subsequent rounds of Induction. Two pounds is a great loss already!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I weighed myself this morning (it's only Day 2 of induction and I know you shouldn't weigh yourself every day but I always have) and I'm 2lbs lighter so that's encouraging me. I can't wait to see what I weigh next Monday, I really hope I lose more than 2lbs! I read somewhere that there apparently is an equation - in induction you lose about 10% of what you need to lose overall i.e 6lbs if you need to lose 60lbs. I don't know if there is any truth in this but going by what I lost in induction first time round and what I wanted/needed to lose overall it sounds about right. Anyway, thanks again!
I"ve always weighed myself daily, first thing in the morning. It works well for me.
I wouldn't hold too much stock in published formulas. YMMV is the rule.
KUTGW!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone, just a quick update. I'm now on Day 9 of induction and have still only lost about 2-2.5 lbs so am feeling a bit defeated! I have been so good, I haven't went over 20g of carbs and I have been eating really well There have been a couple of days I have actually ate much less than 20g due to fibre and just a lack of appetite. I think I'm suffering from Atkins flu too - I was very irritable on Friday night and ended up falling out with my fiance On Sunday and yesterday I felt really fatigued and had a splitting headache. I ate very little yesterday and was craving chinese food last night. I feel a bit better today, just still have a bit of a sore head. As I am losing so little I'm wondering should I just go straight into OWL after Day 14, I don't really see the point of staying in induction much longer if I'm not losing
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RhondaC
Stats: 5'9" 240.5/227.8/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_v View Post
Hi everyone, just a quick update. I'm now on Day 9 of induction and have still only lost about 2-2.5 lbs so am feeling a bit defeated! I have been so good, I haven't went over 20g of carbs and I have been eating really well There have been a couple of days I have actually ate much less than 20g due to fibre and just a lack of appetite. I think I'm suffering from Atkins flu too - I was very irritable on Friday night and ended up falling out with my fiance On Sunday and yesterday I felt really fatigued and had a splitting headache. I ate very little yesterday and was craving chinese food last night. I feel a bit better today, just still have a bit of a sore head. As I am losing so little I'm wondering should I just go straight into OWL after Day 14, I don't really see the point of staying in induction much longer if I'm not losing
That carb flu is miserable, isn't it? You definitely need at least 20g per day. Try not to go below that. You might want to try adding a few more veggies for a couple of days--get your carbs up to 30, and see what happens. You might feel a little better, and maybe drop another pound!

One thing you have in Ireland, that we don't here in the US, is fantastic clotted cream!! We can get it here at Whole Foods for about $9 for a teensy jar. When we visited Ireland a few years ago, I had it all the time--in coffee, on scones and other desserts, and even just on a spoon! lol
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Many of us stay in induction longer than two weeks. I'd encourage you to go a few more weeks. I don't see how movingto OWL right now will help you. Patience and persistence is the ticket.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I agree... do NOT move to OWL yet. You're still working your way into ketosis for some reason (flu symptoms). What are you eating? Are you checking everything for carbs? Don't assume something like sausage is carb free. Are you drinking water... a LOT of water? Are you eating every 3 to 4 hours? Your symptoms can be helped. Tell us what you're doing and we can make suggestions.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies as always. I am on Day 11 of induction now, weighed myself yesterday morning and was absolutely delighted to see that I was down another 2lbs so that's 4lbs so far feeling much more positive now! Atkins flu symptoms are all gone, I have no cravings now. I am drinking much more water now and I feel that is definitely helping. For breakfast each morning I am having a couple of sausages or some bacon sometimes with eggs, for lunch I have chicken with vegetables or some mince beef and for dinner i am having pretty much the same - chicken with veg or beef. I'm wary of mince beef and sausages as I know they're carby. Each morning I also have an Atkins Day Break bar and after dinner I have some sugar free jelly with cream cheese or double cream. I sometimes have an Atkins fudge brownie bar instead. I am tracking what I eat an app and I am never going over the 20g a day. I'm definitely going to stay in induction for longer, first time round I stayed in it for 6weeks but obviously I have less to lose now, I'll try another 2 weeks and see how I get on. Thanks again everyone
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

If your wt loss stalls, ditch the Atkins processed stuff. It's been known to stall many low carb dieters. Most of us suspect that their carb count is off... they deduct 100% of the sugar alcohol carbs. Some people can and DO digest part of them. To be safe, some have suggested counting half of the SA carbs. If you stall... you may be one of those people. I can't eat them.