Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Severe case of electrolytes imbalance?

I know my electrolytes are extremely imbalanced. Every time I wake up I feel so groggy, weak and dead. I noticed I sweat a lot during the night so I must be excreting a lot of sodium, potassium, magnesium and some other essential minerals. I supplement with at least 600mg of potassium a day and some magnesium but I'm so fed up of supplements. I've even increased my carbs to 45g and purposely kicked myself out of ketosis to get more nutrition from veggies and some berries but not noticing much of a difference. I'm adding sea salt liberally to my foods but it doesn't seem enough. I've mixed sea salt in some water and drank it with some improvements but it is so distasteful and foul and I have reluctantly drank 3 cups worth 3000mg of sodium.

What else can I do? I drink 2 litres of water a day. I don't want to take an energy drink because of the high sugar content. Oh and no fat increase suggestions, I am too naturally glucose dependent to just solely run on fat and ketosis didn't work for me, I already consume 150g of fat. I also don't want to increase my carbs any more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
unless you have been tested, I don't think you know these problems are electrolyte related. many times people just imagine a whole series of cause and effect that aren't what's going on at all.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
A nicer salty drink is bouillon cube in hot water. Salt water
makes me want to vomit
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've had nights where I've drunk salt water.
My salt intake is way lower from my ordinary diet. Never ate much in the way or salty food and never salted my food much.
I am sort of doing a dual approach of sodium and potassium . . . in prior low carb efforts, potassium did the trick. But when I started get leg cramps at 8 weeks I added salt and it has help at lot in getting a full nights sleep. Its kind of trial and error to figure out amounts.

Avocados help too, I think they are high in potassium. Also apple cider vinegar has been suggested. I have not caved on bananas but I did have an orange when I was traveling and that helped.

You might try googling foods high in potassium. I did that and found quite a few that you can have at close to inducation levels.

Last edited by Patience; 06-02-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I have problems with my electrolytes, but I know this from the cramping I get in my legs, and talking to my Doc. Mine comes from the amount I sweat, the amount of caffeine I consume, and the fact that I occasionally over exert myself. ( I do weight a lot for the amount of exercise I get, considering I started at less that 1000K steps a day in January)

There are elecrolyte drinks, such as emergenC. I also use Morton's Lite salt, which is sodium and potassium, rather than try to take a pill. I get magnesium eating almonds, spinach and other leafy greens(also coincidentally good sources of potassium).

It is not recommended that you take more than 99g of potassium in pill form, unless under a doc's prescription and supervision, because it can cause intestinal damage and other problems. (this is because of the pill, and the form of potassium in the pill, not natural sources).

If you are taking enough adequate amounts of sodium, potassium, magnesium AND calcium. Then maybe you should see your doctor and get some blood work done and a thorough physical. The symptoms you list may be related to quite a few other health problems having nothing to do with what you are eating. I am also thinking of your previous posts about ravenous hunger, binge eating, now night sweats, groggy, weak.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yes, good to mention diuretic effects of caffeine. That probably has contribued some to my problem. I supplement once a day with magnesium and take dialy calcium. I felt groggy/wonky in my early days, but none of that now. I used to always salt with morton lite (the kind that has some sodium) but I have now increased the ratio of sodium to potassium

Last edited by Patience; 06-02-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Your symptoms also sound like a thyroid or other hormone issue. If you're supplementing minerals and not seeing an improvement, then you should be looking at other causes for your fatigue. Also, you never mentioned muscle cramping... that usually happens when you're low on the "iums"... calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzilee
I drink PowerAde Zero which has electrolytes. It has zero carbs. It does have artificial sweeteners but I don't seem to be sensitive to them (have lost 10 pounds in 10 days on induction - I weigh 142).
Suzilee is offline   Reply With Quote