Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Are you doing OWL? How's it going?

I would love to see some discussion on how OWL is going for you. Let's get a little chatter going and help each other through this phase of the Atkins plan.

What rung of the carb ladder are you on?

What issues have you had?

What new things have you learned about yourself?

Are you doing things a bit differently than the book you are following?
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I'll go ahead and start. I'm following NANY and on Rung 4, Berries. And I just noticed that cherries and melon are on this rung and I hadn't even caught that before. I swear I see something new every time I open my book.

Cherries are a binge food for me so I'll stay away from them for now.

My raspberries and blueberries have been delicious this past week. In fact, not eating other sweets have made them so much sweeter than I ever remembered.

But a portion is very very small, at least when you start, plus I'm watching my blood sugar like a hawk.

Nuts turned out fine, I can eat nuts and not binge.

Tomorrow I will add in some cottage cheese. It will sure be nice with those berries.

I'm not actually counting my carbs, I know...bad bad me. I've tracked numbers so much in the past that I just can't do it now. So until I see no losses, I'm just eating to the plan. Actually, I track occasionally, just to see how a new item/meal stacks up. So I'll track my cottage cheese and berries to make sure it's not very high in carbs.

I haven't had any issues, but I think it is important to add in the new variety of food. I think you can add in these new foods to test them, but you don't need to increase the carbs too high. Eat nuts one day, extra dairy the next...when you get to legumes, don't eat any other other stuff that day. That's kind of how I'm viewing it.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Hello Annette! Technically I am in OWL. I eat nuts and flax seed and small amounts of greek yogurt. I have the DANDR book. I still haven't added any berries or melons. I have some days where I know that I eat a lot more veggies than called for also.

I also don't track my carbs, as long as I am only eating the foods on plan, I figure I am doing quite well. I eat nuts only when I am working, and my job is pretty physical, so they seem to help me keep my energy levels up. (sometimes I wonder if it isn't actually the salt though).

I think along the same lines you do, as long as I am still losing weight, I don't see a reason to stop eating OWL foods.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I eat nuts only when I am working, and my job is pretty physical, so they seem to help me keep my energy levels up. (sometimes I wonder if it isn't actually the salt though).
You're right, it might be the salt. I tend to binge on salted nuts so I eat raw almonds most the time (or sunflower seeds.)

This week I get to add yogurt and cottage cheese.

I'm amazed at how when I've been "deprived" of something that it's AMAZING when I eat it. I just bought some fresh cottage cheese from Trader Joes, the 4% fat (love it!) and fresh strawberries. I probably had too many strawberries, but I was really hungry, and with the cottage cheese and a little sprinkler of artificial sweetner, it was so very very good.

My tummy is happy right now.

Now to go do a little hard labor (yard work) to burn off those extra carbs.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

It is finally sunny here, so we are cutting our jungle this week! Luckily I had the forethought earlier this year to weed all the flower beds, so they just need a little maintenance.

I haven't tried adding cottage cheese yet. I love it ~ a lot. Maybe too much I like to cut up some green onions, radish, and cucumber with a dash of garlic powder in mine. But I'm more partial to savory, over sweet foods.

If you like macadamia nuts (and can find them) I like to crunch them up and sprinkle them on vanilla whipped cream (whipped from hwc). Almonds work for this too.

Last edited by SweetMe678; 06-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: too many smilies again
Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I haven't tried adding cottage cheese yet. I love it ~ a lot. Maybe too much I like to cut up some green onions, radish, and cucumber with a dash of garlic powder in mine. But I'm more partial to savory, over sweet foods.

If you like macadamia nuts (and can find them) I like to crunch them up and sprinkle them on vanilla whipped cream (whipped from hwc). Almonds work for this too.
The cottage cheese with veggies is something I like too. I do mine the same as you, though with salt and pepper.

I had a definite spike after my cottage cheese and strawberries yesterday. I was bad, and didn't measure out my strawberries, which I know I need to do when testing. So I might do the same combo today, just with less cottage cheese, maybe 1/3 cup and a measured quantity of berries. Does adding nuts at that time just add to the carb load? It would be such a nice combo.

I don't usually buy macadamia nuts as they are so darn expensive. And I tend to save my HWC for my coffee only, but that sounds delicious.

My weight is up again today, up 2 pounds this week already and yes, I've eaten slightly larger quantities of food. I've been exercising a lot more and a bit more hungry (body hunger, not cravings) and allowed the extra food to keep myself from getting cravings.

So I'll try to be a little more careful today, maybe actually track, which I hate doing, but it puts me in my place when I need to do it. I also didn't eat any salad yesterday (hmmmmmm)

Back to basics is always a good place to be, simple food.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I use almond milk for my coffee. If I have cream everyday, I tend to stall out. Even if it's just 1T in my coffee. I save the HWC for when I have a sweet tooth.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
OWL or "The Grind" as it's called is a slow, arduous process for me.... I just put my nose to the grindstone and keep plugging away.

I only weigh myself when I absolutely have to... Like at a doctor's appointment. I just know if I'm losing by my clothes and belt...

For The amount of work I put in at the gym (7-8 hours per) to visually see no or little weight loss each week is too discouraging...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I was just thinking this morning how hard OWL can be (so GRIND it is.) I added cottage cheese and strawberries this week and my blood sugar has been elevated each afternoon, and now a bit for my fasting. I did fine with blue berries and raspberries last week, but no cottage cheese. I'll take out the strawberries and do just the cottage cheese alone. Probably what I should have been doing in the first place.

There are just so many variables when adding in different foods. And though I am watching to make sure I continue losing weight (change in clothes, BF, etc.) I'm tracking those blood sugars too as I'm definitely insulin resistant.

This kind of sucks, but at the same time it's a very good learning experience, a test I don't have to pass this week yet, just keep improving.

On a side note, I just got back lab work from updating my life insurance (for turning 50.) I'm sure not going to die from a heart attack. My cholesterol numbers were lovely.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm truly learning that fruit can't be a regular part of my diet. I'm sure that I'll eat a bit more of it in summer months when it's all in season, but the quantity I can eat is so low. I seriously can only eat 1/4-1/3 cup of berries and that's nothing. Why eat it?

On that other hand, it's not giving me cravings to eat more, and that's good. As long as I keep the quantity small.

The cottage cheese is also fine in 1/3-1/2 cup quantities. I haven't even opened the yogurt container to test that yet. I still have some cottage cheese to finish up today, and will start on the cottage cheese tomorrow

It's amazing how long a container lasts when you only eat a tiny bit of it.

I'm not really testing anything else at this point. I did buy macadamia nuts yesterday but they aren't my favorite. I kept thinking they'd be good chopped up with icecream and chocolate....bad bad thinking....

I just don't see how you buy a canteloupe if you can only eat 2 small bites at a time and I don't like the frozen, and precut is so expensive. Why eat it at all....(now I want canteloupe.)

I'd still like to see my blood sugar a little bit lower, though it's in a good place right now and I can keep it controlled. Something to continue working on.

Basically I'm seeing that these "Atkins Rungs" can only be small additions to my diet, not eaten regularly. Though I'm feeling confident with my almonds (which I measure out, 1 oz/day) and cottage cheese too.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I'm on the same rung as you, AnnetteW! How many grams of carbs do you eat daily? I'm just curious because I still can't really go over 20 if I want to lose any weight... I've been on Atkins 14 weeks. Lost 4 lbs in Induction. Lost 6.6 since then. So I average .5 loss per week. That's an average, though...
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I'm probably around 25g most days, but aim for the 20-30 gram range. That's total grams, just what's on my fitbit tracker, but I only track once and awhile, just to see what's going on.

I still have a good 20-25 lbs to lose, but I also have to keep my blood sugar in check, so I'm just going to do my best to keep the carbs under that 30 range.

I've only completed a full 5 weeks, but what I show so far is 3 lbs the first week, 3 the 2nd (induction completed for 6 pounds total) then 1 lbs each of the following 3 weeks. I've lost just at 10 lbs (I average my weights for the week.)

I do think my calories are usually 1500-1800 calories and I do use my fitbit to track my calorie burn which is about 2000-2200 most days, so I'm running a decent 500 calorie deficit along with the low carbs.

But to make it clear, I'm not tracking accurately, just occasionally, plus I've done tons of calorie counting in the past, so I'm used to the numbers.

My carbs today were celery, almonds, blueberries, and my salad tonight (plus the bit in eggs and HWC)
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
You've had a good loss for 5 weeks! Congratulations on that! I'm a terribly slow loser. Maybe I should've counted total carbs rather than net carbs... Oh well! Too late now, lol...
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzy_BR
Stats: 165/150/134
Start Date: Aug-22-11 (restart)
Hello!

I'm on nut rung, notice that walnuts are fine but almonds make me gain weight, I had some almonds during (29, 30, 01) and my weight went up, I remove them and my weight went down, so this week no nuts and keep my NC in 20 - 25 (saddly I don't log my meals on FS ) , not sure the result due TOM. Let's wait and see maybe I check the result on 07/19
Izzy_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Izzy, the nuts make me happy. Lately I've been eating macadamias and they are oh so good with a bit of dark chocolate. Oh, I'm currently on the dark chocolate rung, I just stuck it in there.

Didn't do well at all with fruit, so I'm just not eating any fruit. Doesn't mean I won't ever eat it, but it's doesn't have a regular place in my current diet plan.

Kind of the same with the yogurt and cottage cheese, which I always preferred to eat with berries. So I'm kind of not eating those dairy items either.

My weight has been a bit too stable for my liking, but it's not going up, and occasionally we (me at least) just need a break.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Morning all!

Annette, one day I decided to do a snack, once it was almond week I decided to toast them with salt… I was addicted! I eat more than 1oz during 2 or 3 days and my weight went up, so I gave up of them for a while… they are so good that I must avoid LOL, only at special occasions (movie, soccer game, airplane snack…). Can't wait for the yogurt rung.

Due TOM, I have to wait till 07/19 to confirm my ‘real’ weight. I’m drinking ginger water (750ml water + 3 slices of ginger) daily, let’s see if it can helps with my bloat body LOL.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'm at 25-30 total carbs.

What works:
-50 g raspberries with 2 T heavy cream (which makes a good bit of whipped cream)
-cottage cheese, 1/3 to 1/2 cup plain or with a few chunks of tomato. I'll add olive oil if my fat is too low and for extra satiation from it.
-a little bit of nut flour or nut butter, like 1 Tbl a day in recipes.
-I'm fine with modest amount of coconut/coconut flour in recipes, and coconut milk is a good way for me to add fat.

What doesn't work:
-eating berries alone--tasty but not enough food value to satisfy
-cherries caused a bit of cravings.
-too many extras in one day. I'd love cottage cheese and berries, but that will have to wait.
-I don't do flax, and I limit nut butters and flours. I like them, but they seem to knock back my progress. I won't eat almond butter off of a spoon, but I'll use a little for recipes.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I'm at 25-30 total carbs.

What works:
-50 g raspberries with 2 T heavy cream (which makes a good bit of whipped cream)
-cottage cheese, 1/3 to 1/2 cup plain or with a few chunks of tomato. I'll add olive oil if my fat is too low and for extra satiation from it.
-a little bit of nut flour or nut butter, like 1 Tbl a day in recipes.
-I'm fine with modest amount of coconut/coconut flour in recipes, and coconut milk is a good way for me to add fat.

What doesn't work:
-eating berries alone--tasty but not enough food value to satisfy
-cherries caused a bit of cravings.
-too many extras in one day. I'd love cottage cheese and berries, but that will have to wait.
-I don't do flax, and I limit nut butters and flours. I like them, but they seem to knock back my progress. I won't eat almond butter off of a spoon, but I'll use a little for recipes.
Wow, you sound EXACTLY like me in the items I can eat and the quantities. I check with my blood glucose meter to keep my numbers in track. I do/can eat flax though but only about 2T max.

I've definitely learned I can only eat a "little" extras in one day. And I guess that means the chocolate will have to be a once a week kind of thing, at least for now. The chocolate and macadamia nuts doesn't raise my blood sugar (go figure) but I need to get back into ketosis for now.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_BR View Post
Morning all!

Annette, one day I decided to do a snack, once it was almond week I decided to toast them with salt… I was addicted! I eat more than 1oz during 2 or 3 days and my weight went up, so I gave up of them for a while… they are so good that I must avoid LOL, only at special occasions (movie, soccer game, airplane snack…). Can't wait for the yogurt rung.

Due TOM, I have to wait till 07/19 to confirm my ‘real’ weight. I’m drinking ginger water (750ml water + 3 slices of ginger) daily, let’s see if it can helps with my bloat body LOL.
I learned I can only eat raw nuts or I eat too many too. Plus I am pretty good about weighing them out.

I've never heard of ginger water for bloating. I absolutely adore ginger in anything. I will give that a try some time soon. Thanks.

My only problem with the yogurt rung is that I seem to only be able to eat a smallish amount, say 1/3 cup, and I can't do it daily. All the good quality yogurt comes in big tubs.

I might try making yogurt again but only a small portion at a time. Something to experiment with.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

I weighted the nuts and pack them into 1oz bag, but I could stop to eat them LOL…. I used to do homemade yogurt, it was so good!!! I read that it has less carbs than the one we buy at market (in Brazil we don’t have a lot of option of LC yogurt). Can’t wait to do again.

About the ginger, it helped a little, today I’m feeling better.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: goodeats
Stats: 218/170/130 - 5' 2"
Start Date: October, 2012
Hi! I'm new to OWL and I need some help. I just finished the 2 week induction (again) and am not sure what to do now. I had an Atkins book, but I think I lent it to a friend. Now I can't follow it. How do I decided what to start adding to my diet?

Cherie

goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeats View Post
Hi! I'm new to OWL and I need some help. I just finished the 2 week induction (again) and am not sure what to do now. I had an Atkins book, but I think I lent it to a friend. Now I can't follow it. How do I decided what to start adding to my diet?

Cherie

It's fine to stay on induction for as long as you like, but if you'd like to move on, there's a couple ways to do it.

The old DANDR program had a carb ladder. You add back 5 grams per day each week. So the week you move on, you do 25 carbs, and the week after that you do 30 carbs, and so on. You do this by following the carb ladder in order, week by week:

-more veggies (same ones, just more servings)
-Cheese (cottage cheese recommended as a first addition)
-Nuts and seeds
-Berries
-Alcohol
-Legumes
-Other fruits
-Starchy vegetables
-Whole grains

The new Atkins is slightly different. Although you are encouraged to note the order of the list since the higher rung ones can be problamatic for some, you can pick and choose what additions to make first, still in 5 carb increments per week, from the following:

Phase 1, Induction:
Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables
Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses

Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:
Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)
Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)
Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta
Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like.
Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)

Phases 3 and 4, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance:
Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)
Rung 9: Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots, and peas
Rung 10: Whole grains

Note that it is rare to be able to include all rungs, and some folks' carb tolerance is lower than the estimated 45- 60 g suggested in the atkins plan.

Last edited by emel; 08-01-2013 at 04:31 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote