Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Long-Gaining and not sure why (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/804718-long-gaining-not-sure-why.html)

Paloma 05-24-2013 03:58 AM

Long-Gaining and not sure why

Hello friends- New to this board. I'll try to be brief but here's my story. Started Atkins way of living primarily to support my husband who needs to lose. I don't, but I figured I could maintain. I have succeeded in doing so, and he has lost. Score! I am also an avid runner. Was *very* hesitant to try this with him because of my running and my perceived need for lots of carbs, but after a rough patch, my body adjusted and all is well. Even my hypoglycemia symptoms have completely disappeared. All in all, it has worked well for both of us. Here's my "BUT..." I have gained weight and am frustrated and want to give this up. I looked at what I was eating and how much, and could honestly see that my portions were getting to be too large, and I was headed down a slippery slope with too much cheese and nuts. So, I have cut both out completely, and honestly, am pretty darn close to Induction eating. Breakfast is 3 eggs and a bit of meat. Lunch is some meat and a bit of vegetables. Dinner is the same as lunch. Snacks are a sausage, or a few slices of ham with a bit of cream cheese (ok, that's cheese, but honestly..like 1 oz.!) So this has been going on for 5 days. Scale is sticking (I gained 5lbs. in one month) Gahhhhh I so am frustrated!!!! I really don't want to give this up, mostly because of my evened out blood sugar. It's been so nice for everyone not to have to deal with my blood sugar moodiness! Ha!

Paloma 05-24-2013 04:06 AM

Oh, I should add...I've been drinking A LOT of coffee lately. That's the only thing I can think of that might be bad? Oh, and our market has these delicious pork cracklings that I have been sprinkling on my food. That's something new too. But label says 0 carbs, and it is just pure fat from what i understand (skins and fat).

SweetMe678 05-24-2013 08:40 AM

Your pretty safe with the pork cracklings.

You also listed a lot of good reasons to stick with this :D I would suggest to keep making the small changes, like you did, in cutting out the nuts and cheese to reduce your calorie intake. Maybe try snacking on veggies? Celery and cream cheese is a pretty tasty combo and you might find the crunch satisfying.

Patience 05-24-2013 09:05 AM

What are you putting in your coffee?

Has you food this week been unusually salty?
Could it be that your gain is just water gain?

cb83 05-25-2013 08:18 AM

I would think induction eating isn't a good plan for you if you don't need to lose much weight. After reading what many people do for weight lifting and cardio, most I've seen for weight lifting take in some carbs directly after (I do 29 in one scoop of my protein shake) and many got cardio take in carbs during especially if its a lot of cardio. I've still been losing with that scoop of carbs, only after a lifting session though. Or you might have to go back to what you where doing or another plan.

Paloma 05-25-2013 12:20 PM

Thanks. I weighed in today and lost 1.3 of the 5 I gained. I am simply watching my portioning, and a lot less cheese and no nuts right now. I do plan on experimenting a bit with different carbs soon, as I plan to start training for another distance race, something I haven't done in a few years, and certainly not since I went low carb. So far, low mileage has been fine, after about the first month, which was horrible. Bottom line on the gain, I think since I no longer count calories in an exact manner, I was simply allowing myself too much food! Too much food is to much food, no matter what it is. I would be interested to hear from other runners regarding what they typically eat when training. Thanks y'all.

avid 05-25-2013 12:43 PM

I too would ask..."what do you put in the coffee"
I ask this because I was stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks. After posting my typical daily routine, experienced LCF's asked me the same question.
Long story short. After ACTUALLY MEASURING I realized that I was putting 3.5 tablespoons of HWC in each cup. At 4-5 cups a day I was taking in over 800 calories every day just from drinking coffee. Now that was an eye opener.
I've cut back to 3 cups with measured 2 tbs of hwc.
Started that three days ago and already lost a pound.
Here's to us losers .......... LOL

SweetMe678 05-25-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paloma (Post 16440067)
. I would be interested to hear from other runners regarding what they typically eat when training. Thanks y'all.

My DH is type 1 diabetic. (stay with me on this :D )

He jogs / walks stairs not at a constant rate, but off and on for about 3 1/2 hours. We both work in an aerobic state. Being type 1 and eating low carb he has to carefully monitor his blood sugar and adjust his insulin based on how hard he is going and what he is snacking to keep going. He is keto-adapted at this point. I'm telling you about him, because he HAS to eat some carbs to keep his muscles functioning or his blood sugar gets too low.

I on the other hand do not have to eat carbs to do this. I know that I am in 'training' mode. While I've lost inches everywhere else I have gained about 1/2 inch this last month on my thighs and calves and ribs (I've been working on my posture and I think i'm gaining core muscles).

about 1/2 hour before we start we both have 1 fat bomb (about 200 cal from various fats) and 1/2 scoop protein powder (0 carb) mixed with shy 1/4c (approx 2-3 carbs) greek yogurt and water.

About halfway into it, he has to start eating some carbs. He is following a specific low carb diet for diabetics, which recommended glucose tabs. Those were too hard to keep at and make him crave sugary things though. So he now snacks on peanuts or almonds, which we pre-portion into snack baggies. I started doing the same on days when my energy lags. Our portions are for 10 net carbs. We each just eat a mouthful every few minutes, finishing them off in about 30 minutes.

I do not always feel like I need to eat all mine. Sometimes my energy rebounds with just a few bites. And like I said some mornings I don't eat them at all. It just depends on my energy levels.

I also drink emergenC. I mix a packet in a 24oz water bottle, but I have problems with muscle cramping and this is one of the things that stops them.

One day a week is our killer day, currently 6 hours. (we deliver newspapers and are filling in for someone, besides doing our own). I bring double the nuts, The day before I make sure we both eat extra FAT calories and are well hydrated. We drink a full protein drink on this morning before we start. And he usually has to eat 1-2 fuit cups worth about 15 net carbs. I don't do anything extra besides a second helping of nuts.(alright sometimes he stops for reeses peanut butter cups and I eat 1 for 10 carbs). At the pace we are working the extra carbs have yet to kick me out of ketosis. We are not going crazy and eating LOTS of carbs. Just enough to keep us moving and no more.

The nuts are also fats that help sustain us.

After the killer day, I make sure we are hydrated and again make sure that we eat a few extra helpings of fats. Sometimes the next day I still feel extra hungry so I'll eat a little more fat that day too.

Before we started eating the extra fats, I would feel like I was starving to death for about three days afterwards and would be very exhausted during that time.

Besides enjoying hearing the sound of myself typing, I hope this gives you a starting point to figure out what might work for you when you start training.

Paloma 05-27-2013 05:10 AM

VERY helpful...thank you! I also bought a book on my Kindle last night..."Low Carb Diet for the Triathlete." It's very short and I finished it in an hour. The guy has some solid thoughts on the subject, and his meal planning makes sense for endurance athletes. However, I won't realistically be able to purchase what he recommends. Or at least, i will have to get either travel far or order on-line. He recommends a lot of foods that are rather exotic to the average person. I live in a very small rural town in the south. Needless to say....my choices at the grocery store are very limited! Ha! What you have posted above makes the most sense to me right now because of my limitations. So...thanks again!