Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Nut week (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/804605-nut-week.html)

AnnetteW 05-22-2013 05:57 AM

Nut week

I was so excited to start "nut week" after my 2 weeks of induction. Two days of 1 oz of almonds and my blood sugar has shown a small increase.

I'm not going to freak out yet, but will give myself 2 more days of almonds, and if it's still up I plan to stop them for the last 3 days this week to get them out of my system and see if the blood sugar drops again.

I've done Atkins before, but I never did the steps perfectly right in OWL, and now with my blood sugar issues, I think I need to see what's up.

AnnetteW 05-25-2013 07:27 AM

I'm happy to say my blood sugar went back down, so that was just a fluke I believe. I've eaten nuts each day this week, added a bit of peanut butter (I really don't like peanut butter, so that's off the menu.) Raised my quantity a bit yesterday to 1 oz almonds, 1 T peanut butter. Weight has been exactly the same all week, but I know not to expect big losses right now anyway.

Did anyone else have any interesting experiences adding in the nuts?

cfine 05-29-2013 12:10 AM

Nuts are something that I eat, but never on a daily basis. It's just not worth it to me. One a week is ok though. I will still have good losses if I don't do them daily. Nuts do stall a lot of people.

AnnetteW 05-29-2013 06:34 AM

I've been keeping mine to 1oz a day.

No stall, but no rapid weightloss at this point either. I just have to be happy doing the steps of OWL (which I don't see any discussion of.)

I'm on to berries this week. My raspberries these past few days were delicious, today I have blueberries.

I do know for me that doing these steps and adding in the small quantities of other foods are the only way I'll be able to make low-carb work for me.

avid 06-01-2013 06:53 AM

I believe nuts are part of the mediteranian diet...
Seems to be a pretty healthy woe

NoSunNoFun 06-14-2013 06:01 AM

I eat a small handful of walnuts and almonds each day. What other nuts are safe? I thought I read pecans also.. but not sure.

avid 06-14-2013 11:48 AM

not sure what you mean by 'safe'

NoSunNoFun 06-15-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16470555)
not sure what you mean by 'safe'

Cashews are to high I believe and other nuts.
Almonds, walnuts and pecans are safer than others is what I meant. ???

Patience 06-15-2013 08:41 AM

I am assuming you mean lower carb/higher fat/higher fiber?
I'd add brazil nuts and filberts to the list and macademia nuts.
Black walnuts as well as English walnuts. Cashews are no so good, me thinks.
The problem with nuts is that they contain carbs, too, so portion control is really important.

NoSunNoFun 06-15-2013 08:51 AM

Of course.....
Yes I forgot about Macademia nuts, those are my fav of all time!

NoSunNoFun 06-15-2013 08:52 AM

My only real complain about Macademia nuts is the cost. They are sooooo spendy it hurts! $$ :(

avid 06-15-2013 01:16 PM

Got it.
Yes, cashews are too carby for me. I used to buy deuxe mixed nuts and pick out the cashews. Then I fell in love with Macamdamia's and so now mix my own.
Pecans, walnuts and macadamias. I eat a handful or two every day.
No almonds though a little hard on my 'old guy' teeth....lol

cb83 06-15-2013 01:40 PM

I love almonds, and they're supposed to be one of those super foods. I try to follow induction ways and have a 1/4 cup of almonds per day. Used to be raw unsalted but my Sam's doesn't have them so I'm on Wonderful's roasted/salted almonds. Still delicious just a little more sodium. 2 net carbs, luckily I haven't seen any problems adding them.