Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: retrodata
Stats: 52 yo, 236/210/180
Start Date: March 2013
Long past induction and have question

Hi my name is tony and I have been on 20-25 carbs per
Day for 2 months. I have lost 26 lbs and my doctor has
Taken me off a cholesterol pill I was taking ( Crestor ) I
Want to lose another 31 lbs so is there any harm on staying
At 20 - 25 carbs for several months? I have moved to mostly
Plant based protein if that matters. Thanks
retrodata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Congratulations on getting off the statins.
I wish I could, but alas tis not to be.
the short answer to your question is "no" no problem.
There is a forum called "nutritional ketosis" on this message board.
These are people who are very low carb and stay in ketosis regardless of their weight.
but I do have some questions. My first question is "Are you counting total carbs?
If you browse the forums here you will see people refer to "net carbs" this is daily g's of carb consumed minus the dietary fiber. The thinking being that the fiber is not digested so no need to count it. It works fine for some people, myself included, but others must be stricter in their carb counts, so do not subtract the fiber.
If you stick around here you will many of the 'sacred cows' of health and nutrition are challenged here. There is much documentation and research to support the varying points of view. It is lively but always respectful.
Wishing you all health and happiness.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Avid, thanks for your answer. I count net carbs only. I'm 52 and just started to take my health more serious. Guess I'm a little late but I feel better anyway.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
I'm confused and not sure how to answer your question. You said you were "long past Induction" but yet, you ask if you can stay at Induction levels. 20 to 25 g per day IS Induction. The answer is yes, you can stay there longer... but not until you reach your goal weight. You need to move up the carb ladder and start to add things back in. OWL is where you lose the last of your extra weight and learn how to maintain your loss. If you skip it, and go from Induction to Maintenance, it won't work. Or, if it does, you'll be the first. LOL Do you plan to eat 20 to 25 g the rest of your life?? If so, then I'll change my answer... skip OWL and Pre/Maintenance. Stay in Induction forever. Some people try that.

Finally... switching to "mostly plant based protein" isn't a good idea, IMHO. Are you talking about soy products? If so, check out a book called The Whole Soy Story by Dr. Kaayla Daniel. And then do some MORE reading about low carbohydrate diets.... the WHY it's good for you stuff. Get your nutrition information from researchers... not farmers and the government.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Tril, thank you for responding. As for your questions, I don't eat any soy products, I really don't like it that well, I get most of my protein from Cauliflower, Broccoli and I still eat small portions of turkey and chicken. I really dig spaghetti squash too. I don't plan on staying on 20 -25 for life just until i reach my goal. My understanding was induction was that you were only supposed to stay on the 20 carb induction for 2 weeks so maybe i misread that but hey it won't be the first mistake I ever made, lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Be aware the protein from vegetables is incomplete. It doesn't have the essential amino acids in the right proportions to be "complete". It's also very hard to get enough protein that way... it's suggested the women get around 46 g protein (that's NOT on a low carb plan... that's the "recommended daily" amount) without going over your carb limit.

1 cup cauliflower = 2g protein. Broccoli has about 2.5g per cup. A 3.5 oz serving of chicken breast has 30g protein.

"I don't plan on staying on 20 -25 for life just until i reach my goal."

Yup. Big mistake. HUGE mistake. Why? Because what you do to GET to goal is what you have to do to stay there. How do you plan to eat at goal?? More carbs? Less fat? How will this keep you at goal? You better answer these questions before you get to goal... because if you think losing the weight is hard, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

hmm well then I think once I get closer like say within 15 lbs of goal then I will start adding carbs back. I haven't really counted how much protein I take in a day, I doubt its enough, so what is the bottom number that I can get away with?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

From Men's Health:

"Think big. Most adults would benefit from eating more than the recommended daily intake of 56 grams, says Donald Layman, Ph.D., a professor emeritus of nutrition at the University of Illinois. The benefit goes beyond muscles, he says: Protein dulls hunger and can help prevent obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

How much do you need? Step on a scale and be honest with yourself about your workout regimen. According to Mark Tarnopolsky, M.D., Ph.D., who studies exercise and nutrition at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, highly trained athletes thrive on 0.77 gram of daily protein per pound of body weight. That's 139 grams for a 180-pound man.

Men who work out 5 or more days a week for an hour or longer need 0.55 gram per pound. And men who work out 3 to 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour need 0.45 gram per pound. So a 180-pound guy who works out regularly needs about 80 grams of protein a day.

Now, if you're trying to lose weight, protein is still crucial. The fewer calories you consume, the more calories should come from protein, says Layman. You need to boost your protein intake to between 0.45 and 0.68 gram per pound to preserve calorie-burning muscle mass."

There are LOTS of opinions about how much protein is enough. This is just one. You should do your own research and decide based on your own experience with your own body and health.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gotcha, Thanks Tril. I just looked on these Atkins bars which I forgot to mention I am also eating daily they have 17 grams of protein per bar and I eat 2 a day so might add 1 more of those just to be sure.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm not a big fan of looking at numbers on a chart and applying them to myself.
I belief in anecdotal evidence (how do I look/feel) and lab work.
I started doing workouts w/weights at my local Gold's gym around the same time I started my lc woe. I have steadily lost weight while simultaneously gaining muscle mass. I look better than I have in many years, and for a 63 year old that's saying alot LOL. I also feel better too. I used to have chronic aches and pains. I would 'throw my back out' at least once a year, and had developed chronic knee pain as well. All of this pain is gone.
Completely gone.
If I weren't getting enough nutrients would I be in this good shape?
I don't think so.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodata View Post
Gotcha, Thanks Tril. I just looked on these Atkins bars which I forgot to mention I am also eating daily they have 17 grams of protein per bar and I eat 2 a day so might add 1 more of those just to be sure.
What kind of protein do they contain?

Really... eat REAL food. Your body can use that. Those bars are nothing more than processed junk. Ditch the bars and eat some chicken and veggies. It will do your body good.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

You would be proud Tril I ate baked chicken and Italian beans for lunch lol
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Would be?!? I AM PROUD OF YOU!!! How did it taste? How did it make you feel??
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Tasted great and I feel great thanks !