Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Newbie with a question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/803389-newbie-question.html)

skayleonard 05-04-2013 12:58 AM

Newbie with a question

:)

Hello everybody! I'm getting ready to start induction and I've got a question. I've been planning out my menu and I can tell already that there is NO way I'm going to be able to eat that much in a day. So . . . if I find myself too full to eat everything, what should I focus on?

Should I try to at least get the foundation vegetables in?
Then should I focus on healthy fats or protein?

If I (by some miracle) am able to finish everything in my menu, I would be at:

1,594 calories
23 nc
91g protein
118g fat

6% carbs/70% fat/24% protein

If I just can't eat it all and have to sacrifice something . . . what should it be?

Thanks for your help!!!

Ntombi 05-04-2013 01:13 AM

I would focus on getting good quality protein in first. Don't overdo the protein, but you don't want to skimp, either. Not getting enough protein could lead to loss of muscle mass, which you always want to keep.

After that, focus on good fats and healthy carbs (veggies and any you'll get from meat and eggs first).

I don't know what your menu looks like, but 1600 calories isn't too much for most people. I don't track my calories, but that's in my ballpark, even well under it some days.

Tril 05-05-2013 06:54 PM

I'd focus on getting the foundation veggies in... add reasonable portions of meat/fish/eggs to the veggies. Add healthy fats to your veggies and meats when cooking them. It's really not hard to add up the calories when you're generous with the fat. UNLESS... are you trying to do this without adding fats???

If you have b'fast/lunch/dinner as 300/400/500 calories that's 1200 right there. Add a 100 cal snack midmorning and midafternoon... 1400... add another 100 cal snack before bed and you've hit 1500. That's the recommended cal intake for women on Atkins. 100 cal snacks aren't much... an ounce of cheese, 4 canned sardines, 15 shrimp, 1 single serving tuna pouch, 2 oz pork tenderloin, 1 boiled jumbo egg, 1 TBS mayo, 1 TBS regular salad dressing... it adds up fast.

What are you planning to eat that makes it hard to eat 1500 calories??

skayleonard 05-06-2013 10:55 AM

Thank you Ntombi and Tril!

Tril, it's not that I'm having trouble getting the calories in. Today is actually my first day of induction. When I originally wrote this post asking for some guidance, I was looking at what I had PLANNED to eat and it just seemed like so much food . . . I didn't see how I could eat that much in a day. But now that I'm half way into my day, I can see that this is very, very doable.

:D

Tril 05-06-2013 11:14 AM

Oh... I was thinking calories and volume. When you lower your carbs and up your fat, it's pretty easy to hit your calorie target without too much volume of food. The fat adds calories without adding bulk.