Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   6 Weeks Low-Cal vs. 6 Weeks Low Carb! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/803305-6-weeks-low-cal-vs-6-weeks-low-carb.html)

CTH 05-02-2013 12:54 PM

6 Weeks Low-Cal vs. 6 Weeks Low Carb!

A "wake-up-call" in my Dr's office early this year told me I needed to get in shape. I hired a personal trainer and started on a rigorous, regimented, cardio and weight lifting program. I also started counting calories religiously.... making sure I was on track to lose 3-4 lbs per week. After 6 weeks I lost a whopping 10lbs :( . After all those hours in the gym... barely having enough energy to get through the workouts. After all the calorie counting... 10 measly pounds? I'm use to losing 4-5lbs per week!

But, I'm older, have yo-yo'ed many times and all of this has an affect on your weight loss. My buddy at work said I need to look into the Paleo diet. I bought a book and read the first couple of chapters. I realized it was too "extreme" for me so I decided to go with Atkins.

So below are the results. Same workout quantity / intensity. Weight loss rate DOUBLED!! My Dr. said, "Keep doing what you're doing!" So much more energy, no hunger, eating less naturally, etc. For me low-carb is best for weight loss.

I know the graph will flatten out but to me there is no comparison in terms of quality of life. Low cal is a miserable existance.

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6a00da32.jpg

SweetMe678 05-02-2013 01:38 PM

Congrats on the weight loss!

I think that is a great direct comparison. It is what I found out years ago. I went on a low calorie, low fat 'balanced' diet, started walking, didn't lose a pound. After a month I gave up. Then I saw a copy of Atkins and figured what the heck. That first two weeks, for me was amazing! I'd never lost weight so easily.

Delta 05-02-2013 04:44 PM

I agree
In 4 weeks of low carbing I am down 25 lbs !!!!:jumpjoy:
Never has a low cal diet given me such great results

avid 05-07-2013 09:29 AM

I was a strict follower of the food pyramid for years.
I was overweight the whole time. I couldn't lose because of the hunger and hypo-glycemia that came with it.
I finally realized that there had to be a better way and started doing some research.
I came accross lc and decided to give it a try. Voila!! that weight that I hadn't been able to shed for many years started melting away. I too began a weight lifting program around the same time, and so I was gaining muscle while losing fat.....Wow, what a difference!
good luck to you.

CTH 05-07-2013 12:29 PM

13 weeks into this now. I had my metabolic retest on 6/28 and my trainer was very pleased! My calorie burn per 60 minutes is 45% higher than what it was when I started. He said the good news is that you're in alot better shape, the bad news is that your workouts are going to get alot harder!

So, what was my old "Zone 1" (125-141) heart rate is gone and my old Zone 2 (141-152) is now my Zone 1, with a few modifications to Zones 2 & 3 as well. So now onto another 12 (11 now) weeks of workouts!

AnnC 05-08-2013 08:02 AM

Wow! Impressive.

And I have to agree 100% that eating and losing weight via low carb gives me a much better quality of life.

I am on week 3 and am down 14 lbs. And I don't feel deprived!

PLEASE keep us posted on your journey.:hiya:

Candiceena 05-12-2013 06:57 PM

Congratulations :)

chrisdbassplayer 05-27-2013 05:16 AM

very impressive!! I work a physical job but have been wanting to start an excersise program at least 3 days a week, any suggestions since you are having wonderful results with a trainer and low carb?

CTH 05-27-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer (Post 16442026)
very impressive!! I work a physical job but have been wanting to start an excersise program at least 3 days a week, any suggestions since you are having wonderful results with a trainer and low carb?

chrisdbassplayer I highly recommend the program I'm on but it requires a VO2 Max test, a heart monitor (the kind that straps around your chest, not just on your wrist) and a gym that can program your cardio interval workouts based on the results of that test.

If you don't want to mess with all that, and depending on your fitness level, I'd start out with something like this:

Here are generic heart rate zones for a beginner:

Zone 1: 125-141
Zone 2: 142-153
Zone 3: 154-165

If you don't have a heart monitor or want to pay for one, most equipment at the gym (treadmill, elliptical, etc) have built-in monitors on them and they are pretty accurate....

NOW I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS ON A LOW-IMPACT MACHINE LIKE AN ELLIPTICAL SO AS NOT TO INJURE YOURSELF! I started on a treadmill but had to switch to the elliptical because the added weight of my frame is too hard on my joints and connective tissue.

MONDAY:
Warmup:
0-2.5min: HR 100-110
2.5-5min: HR 111-120
5-6.5min: HR 121-130
6.5-8min: HR < 100 (slow your walking down)
8-10min: HR > 125

Then move right into the intervals:
Zone 1: 4 minutes
Zone 2: 2 minutes
Repeat above 7 times then:
Zone 1: 3 minutes
Cool down: 5 minutes

That is the very first 60 minute workout I had.

Wednesday:
Warmup:

Zone 2: 45 minutes.
Cooldown: 5 minutes.

Friday:
Warmup:

Zone 2: 8 minutes
Zone 3: 2 minutes
Repeat above 4 times.
Then zone 2 for 5 minutes.
Cooldown: 5 minutes.

My trainer also recommends weights while trying to lose weight to help prevent the loss of muscle. The first 4 weeks I did this (3 sets of 10, 2 days per week). I started with a weight that would barely allow me to finish the final set then increased accordingly. After about 4 weeks my average weight increased by 50%:

Squats (machine)
Seated Leg Curl (machine)
Chest Press (Cable machine)
Row (cable machine)
Reverse Fly (machine)
Shoulder Press (cable machine)
Tricep Dips (machine)
Bicep Curls (dumbells)
Fit Ball Crunch

chrisdbassplayer 06-02-2013 05:21 PM

thanks for the routine I copied it to my desktop so I can look it over more closely!!!

Zoloris 06-17-2013 09:16 PM

"A "wake-up-call" in my Dr's office early this year told me I needed to get in shape. I hired a personal trainer and started on a rigorous, regimented, cardio and weight lifting program. I also started counting calories religiously.... making sure I was on track to lose 3-4 lbs per week. After 6 weeks I lost a whopping 10lbs . After all those hours in the gym... barely having enough energy to get through the workouts. After all the calorie counting... 10 measly pounds? I'm use to losing 4-5lbs per week!

But, I'm older, have yo-yo'ed many times and all of this has an affect on your weight loss. My buddy at work said I need to look into the Paleo diet. I bought a book and read the first couple of chapters. I realized it was too "extreme" for me so I decided to go with Atkins.

So below are the results. Same workout quantity / intensity. Weight loss rate DOUBLED!! My Dr. said, "Keep doing what you're doing!" So much more energy, no hunger, eating less naturally, etc. For me low-carb is best for weight loss.

I know the graph will flatten out but to me there is no comparison in terms of quality of life. Low cal is a miserable existance."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything but the energy part... For some reason I still have more energy on a low-calorie diet. I am on a low-carb diet now but still get the crash mid-afternoon. Are you taking any supplements?

CTH 06-20-2013 03:26 PM

I only take a multivitamin (when I remember) and calcium/magnesium.

If tired in the afternoon, try eating some fat like 1/2 of an avacado, some fat bombs, some nuts, or a couple of hard-boiled eggs (protein). Sometimes I only eat 1/2 my lunch around noon and the other 1/2 at 2-3 PM. I workout at about 6:00PM and don't want too much in my stomach.

My typical menu consists of 3 scrambled eggs with cheese and 6 slices of bacon for breakfast (when I'm hungry in the morning.. not every day), 4-5 slices of Turkey and cheese for lunch.... maybe a few hardboiled eggs, or 1/2 of an avacado, or some cashews or peanuts (not for everyone) as a snack. Somedays I'll have 2 cups of cooked broccoli with melted cheese.

I then eat very little for dinner because I don't get home from the gym until late.... sometimes no dinner at all...

I've noticed the exercise really decreases my appetite. I force myself to drink 1 liter of water after exercise as well and take the cal/mag supplements to stave off leg cramps.

Most days I drink 3 liters of water before hitting the gym. For some reason I'm partial to Smartwater... love the way it tastes but hate the size/shape of the 1 liter bottles.

I was drinking RO water for a long time but I think I'm sensitive to its acidic nature...

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to throw a little caffiene in the mix... I indulge in a diet Mountain Dew or 2 in the afternoon...

My fitness level has progressed to the point where I'm burning about 1000 calories per day in the gym.

Low cal left me hungry all the time....everyone's different though.

BoulderJD 01-08-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTH (Post 16479729)
I only take a multivitamin (when I remember) and calcium/magnesium.

If tired in the afternoon, try eating some fat like 1/2 of an avacado, some fat bombs, some nuts, or a couple of hard-boiled eggs (protein). Sometimes I only eat 1/2 my lunch around noon and the other 1/2 at 2-3 PM. I workout at about 6:00PM and don't want too much in my stomach.

My typical menu consists of 3 scrambled eggs with cheese and 6 slices of bacon for breakfast (when I'm hungry in the morning.. not every day), 4-5 slices of Turkey and cheese for lunch.... maybe a few hardboiled eggs, or 1/2 of an avacado, or some cashews or peanuts (not for everyone) as a snack. Somedays I'll have 2 cups of cooked broccoli with melted cheese.

I then eat very little for dinner because I don't get home from the gym until late.... sometimes no dinner at all...

I've noticed the exercise really decreases my appetite. I force myself to drink 1 liter of water after exercise as well and take the cal/mag supplements to stave off leg cramps.

Most days I drink 3 liters of water before hitting the gym. For some reason I'm partial to Smartwater... love the way it tastes but hate the size/shape of the 1 liter bottles.

Hey, thanks for sharing your weight loss graph and daily menu. I juggled between low carb and low calorie for some time myself...much longer than six weeks. Low carb works better for me, too.

Thanks, John

PS I'm picking up Smartwater today. Never tried it.