Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnuffaMyButt
Stats: 226/139.4/117
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 04/29/2013
ketosis/protein & fat

I'm new to low carbing and hope someone can offer me some input. I realize I don't necessarily need to record and log my daily food. I'm doing it so I can see what works/what doesn't and to generally just help me.

My highest weight ever was 226. I'm currently at 144 w/a goal of 124. So I've got about 20lbs to lose.

Do you think my goals of 20g carbs, 50g fat & 90g of protein within reason? Should I tweak something?

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Today is my first day of induction.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
First of all... welcome, Neighbor!!! I live near Augusta, but that's neighbor when you think of where everyone else is from on this board!

Second... CONGRATS on your weight loss!!!!

Your induction numbers sound reasonable. Recording your intake is GOOD. Do it. Plan to move to OWL after two weeks of Induction. You only have 20# to lose so you should move up the ladder sooner, rather than later.

And... be SURE that 120 is a reasonable goal weight for you, based on age, height and bone structure.

Finally... plan to be patient. The last 10 take FOREVER to lose. Ok, maybe not forever, but it will feel like it.

Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Good Luck!!

I used this, just so I knew %. I've seen most people do around 10/30/60ish depending on calorie intake.

Mine is 4% carbs=20g/31% protein=155g/65% fat=144g this is for 2000 cal/day

I still have not found what exactly works and what doesn't and I keep track of almost every single thing every day. I can almost never tell when I'm in ketosis either, sometimes slight metallic taste but no ketostix turn positive. I have found it is extremely hard to hit the target everyday, unless you eat the same exact thing. Seemed like it was working, but i've been stalling recently. Down about 20lb still, i'm 6'3" 29 year old male with a muscular build.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Sticks won't always show purple, even when you are in ketosis. And darker vs lighter means only that you are probably dehydrated or fasting when it shows dark purple. If you're drinking water and staying hydrated plus exercising, then you are most like USING most of the ketones for energy and those that aren't used are so diluted in your urine that they don't trigger a dark response on the stick.

Signs to look for... weight loss, metallic taste, funky breath, extra energy, reduced physical hunger.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Sticks won't always show purple, even when you are in ketosis. And darker vs lighter means only that you are probably dehydrated or fasting when it shows dark purple. If you're drinking water and staying hydrated plus exercising, then you are most like USING most of the ketones for energy and those that aren't used are so diluted in your urine that they don't trigger a dark response on the stick.

Signs to look for... weight loss, metallic taste, funky breath, extra energy, reduced physical hunger.
OMG - thank you for this info! I drink a ton of water and always wondered why my sticks barely ever changed color! No wonder! I'm more determined now than ever to get rid of this weight!

I appreciate you posting this info!
EnuffaMyButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83 View Post
Good Luck!!

I used this, just so I knew %. I've seen most people do around 10/30/60ish depending on calorie intake.

I still have not found what exactly works and what doesn't and I keep track of almost every single thing every day. I can almost never tell when I'm in ketosis either, sometimes slight metallic taste but no ketostix turn positive. I have found it is extremely hard to hit the target everyday, unless you eat the same exact thing. Seemed like it was working, but i've been stalling recently. Down about 20lb still, i'm 6'3" 29 year old male with a muscular build.
Thank you! I suspect I may never find the 'right' ratio but, at least a guideline is helpful. I tried the calculator and I'm pretty much going in the right direction with that. I think the fat freaks me out a bit. I do realize though that I need the fat in order to lose. Thank for your input!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnuffaMyButt View Post
It's a super easy way to log and journal your day. Tril do you ski?
No, I don't. I do a lot of things (hunt, fish, snowmobile, 4 wheel) but skiing never passed my sanity test. It seems insane to stand on top of a snow and ice covered mountain with something designed to be slippery strapped to my feet. I prefer to go fast when I have a brake. LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

too funny

Quote:
No, I don't. I do a lot of things (hunt, fish, snowmobile, 4 wheel) but skiing never passed my sanity test. It seems insane to stand on top of a snow and ice covered mountain with something designed to be slippery strapped to my feet. I prefer to go fast when I have a brake. LOL
OMG Tril - that made me laugh this morning! Thank you! (i'm not judging here) clearly you don't know much about skiing! LOL - Nice to see you at least enjoy the winter with snowmobiling!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Another reason... when our sons were little skiing was something my husband did with them that I didn't do. It was their time together and MY time alone every Saturday morning. We'd spend the afternoon ice fishing as a family. So besides my sanity test thing, it also preserved my sanity while raising two boys. LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
A reminder: if a site is **'d out, that means it's not allowed.
Please do not attempt to spell around it anyway.
These links will be helpful:
Low Carb Friends - Announcements in Forum : Main Lowcarb Lobby
Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Another reason... when our sons were little skiing was something my husband did with them that I didn't do. It was their time together and MY time alone every Saturday morning. We'd spend the afternoon ice fishing as a family. So besides my sanity test thing, it also preserved my sanity while raising two boys. LOL
My sanity day is thursday! I completely understand!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb83 View Post
Good Luck!!

Thanks for this info. I did a keto ratio calculator. Eating that much fat kind of freaks me out but, I know I need to eat fat in order to lose fat. Today my ratio of protein to fat was nearly the same. UGH - that kind of scares me. Totally exhausted and foggy brain. It's only day 3. Thanks for your help. Congrats on your weight loss!

Last edited by EnuffaMyButt; 05-01-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Day 3 is notorious for being the worst. Another day or two and you'll feel much better. And, when you lower your carbs you have to add something (protein and/or fat are the only options). I always say this: fat + carbs = gain weight, fat + protein = lose weight. If your carbs are low, the fat doesn't make you gain. It's only when you add the carbs to fat that you gain.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Day 3 is notorious for being the worst. Another day or two and you'll feel much better. And, when you lower your carbs you have to add something (protein and/or fat are the only options). I always say this: fat + carbs = gain weight, fat + protein = lose weight. If your carbs are low, the fat doesn't make you gain. It's only when you add the carbs to fat that you gain.
THANKS so much! It's never really clicked until now! I appreciate your input.