Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Nutritional Approach (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/)
-   -   Eating out on a low-carb high protein diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-nutritional-approach/802532-eating-out-low-carb-high-protein-diet.html)

glendabuffy 04-21-2013 12:50 AM

Eating out on a low-carb high protein diet

When dining out, what are the options people on a low-carb, high protein diet have besides salads?

Ntombi 04-21-2013 01:45 AM

I don't eat high protein, I eat high fat, moderate protein, low carb. And there are lots of things I get when I eat out. It depends on the restaurant, but I can find something basically anywhere.

There's always grilled or baked meat, of course, chicken, shellfish, pork chops, steak, bunless burger, whatever appeals, as long as it's not breaded or marinate in sugar. Salad, mixed veggies, hold the starch and ask for extra veggies. Eat full fat salad dressing or oil and vinegar.

Hot wings are usually not breaded, and can be a good option at a pizza place. If I'm eating Chinese, I go for anything spicy, rather than the sweeter sauces. Meat and veggies stir fried, no rice. The sauce will usually have a little cornstarch, but you can ask them to leave it off if you like. Seafood places are easy to get good meals. Grilled or sautéed seafood and lots of veggies, with or without a salad. Greek, I get lamb chops or grilled salmon with veggies.

Patience 04-21-2013 07:15 AM

Meat or omelettes, depending of what kind of restaurant.
I try to get a look at the menu ahead of time, and that makes the decision more informed for me.

Olive Oil 04-21-2013 09:26 AM

For a sit down, meat (chicken, fish, steak, etc.) with a side of veggies. Salad to start. I skip the bread, fries, potatoes, and the like.

It's hard with fast food because a bunless burger isn't so easy to eat on the go. I haven't gotten anything from a fast food place because of that. But in going out to eat, I just choose the less-carb version.

It definitely limits your choices, because carbs are everywhere, and in many delicious "eating out" foods. We got pizza the other night and I slid the toppings off (cheese, sausage, etc) and put it on a bed of cooked kale. Not the same, but better than nothing.

MtherGoos 04-21-2013 02:46 PM

I worry about scrambled eggs when eating out, because I know some places add things (like pancake mix) to them to make them look fluffier. I try to stick to Fried Eggs, Steak, Pork Chops, or a Bunless Burger. I think it's much easier to eat out eating low carb rather than Low Cal. There's so much to choose from!

Tril 04-21-2013 05:13 PM

I don't eat scrambled eggs in any restaurant for that exact reason. Most of the time I order a "deconstructed" sandwich when out for lunch and a plain meat/veggie meal for dinner. I take my mom shopping once a week... we always go to the same place for lunch. I get the "fried haddock sandwich with fries". BUT, this is how I change it up for me... "I'll have the haddock sandwich, no bread, no cheese. Broiled, not fried... with the healthy choice option (this is broiled with olive oil & lemon and topped with a grape tomato/parsley salad). No fries... I'll have the vegetable of the day and please include the sandwich vegetables on the side (lettuce/tomato)." If a restaurant can't or won't accomodate MY eating needs then they don't want my business!

Mad4Chillas 04-21-2013 05:13 PM

When I go out its usually:

A piece of meat (Steak, Salmon, Grilled Chicken) and veggies (if they give you an option of potatoes I always just ask them to nix the taters and add more veggies)

Buffalo Wings W/Blue Cheese (almost every restaurant has these on their apps menu)

Bunless Burger and instead of fries ask for a veggie side

Fajitas (no tortillas!)

Breakfast Foods (Eggs, Bacon, Sausage)

DairyQueen 04-23-2013 11:52 AM

I rarely eat at Chinese restaurants because almost everything has sugar or corn starch - except for wonton soup (donate the wonton to a friend), vegetable soup (NOT sweet and sour) - SOMETIMES egg drop soup, and steamed or stir-fried in oil white chicken meat and vegetables. To that, I will add hot oil (oil with pepper flakes in it) and, very occasionally,a little soy sauce. Those are the only foods I trust.

I was disappointed when I went to an Indian food store last week - just to see what was there and to maybe buy some curry ingredients (mustard seed, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili pepper). Well they were packaged in huge amounts, so I didn't buy anything. But I looked at some things like -- the rub that goes on tandoori chicken, which I always thought would be a dry rub with no hidden carbs -- and guess what? Lots of hidden carbs! all the other spices for the vindaloos, etc also had carbs. i mean, sheesh!

debstin 04-28-2013 07:27 PM

My favorite mexican restaurant has a fajita salad which is all lc friendly except for the fried shell it is served in , so just request no shell and no chips. And one of my favorite meals i ate out was at a Charleston's and i ordered tilapia w/jicama relish. Just had to request no rice or hot roll. But the fish,relish,steamed veggies and salad were wonderful!

highvibes 04-29-2013 07:51 PM

I usually get steak and veggies, fajitas with lettuce wraps in lieu of the tortillas, bunless burger with casar salad, I don't go as low carb as some of you folks because I also count calories so if I end up having some cornstarch in my pepper steak at a chinese place I don't sweat it.

glendabuffy 05-02-2013 09:48 PM

These are all Great ideas!!! Many thanks to those who replied!!