Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Need some encouragement?

Just was going through the reviews of the "Atkins Diet Revolution" 2003 book (what I'm currently reading and so far definitely enlightening me) and there have been some terrible reviews and horror stories about some people who have tried Atkins which have made me slightly rethink possible disadvantages I might experience personally. A person said that Atkins only works for the obese or overweight, some people gaining weight on 10g of carbs along with cholesterol level increases and constipation, likely weight gain in the long term etc.

I'm a male, 24, 5'9 and 135 lbs. I just want to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm at a healthy weight but high carb hasn't helped me lose body fat or get lean, I also developed binge eating disorder, food addictions and depleted energy on high carb, low fat. Can you be lean/skinny on Atkins? I don't wanna be at a 'healthy weight' and look chunky (I've noticed many people on low carb being at a 'healthy weight' but looking hefty). I'm a runner and do cardio everyday. What made your low fat/high carb mindset switch to high fat/high protein/low carb? I don't wanna gain weight on Atkins, that is my last goal.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Might be off topic, but if you weigh 135lbs now, thats considered a healthy weight (on the low end of the BMI spectrum) and losing 10-15lbs at 5'9 would bring you into the underweight category. Just curious, but why are you wanting to lose 10-15lbs?

Maybe building more muscle and toning would be better for you rather than weight loss?
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
Might be off topic, but if you weigh 135lbs now, thats considered a healthy weight (on the low end of the BMI spectrum) and losing 10-15lbs at 5'9 would bring you into the underweight category. Just curious, but why are you wanting to lose 10-15lbs?

Maybe building more muscle and toning would be better for you rather than weight loss?
Thank you. I don't mind gaining muscle weight but I need to lower my overall body fat percentage and take control of my food addictions, intense carb cravings and binge eating and I believe Atkins is the way to go but not sure if it's a lifestyle I can adapt or commit to. I haven't eaten cream or butter for years and honestly I feel sick after consuming so much fat (transitioning from very low-fat). I'm not a fan of strength training (prefer cardio) and need a stable long term diet that won't damage my health and keep me looking and feeling great. I'll stay on Induction for a month and see how it goes.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I think the biggest problem with people who post those things is that most of them don't actually follow Atkins. Atkins isn't high protein, and it isn't 20 carbs for life. Atkins aims to reintroduce carbs and find which ones you have intolerance to.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
There is a lot of controversy around Atkins and any low carb diet. But I firmly believe that it is healthy and more importantly a sustainable way of eating. DH is at a 'healthy weight' since beginning low carb he has noticed his pants aren't fitting right, and people are commenting that he is looking good.

There are a lot of people who 'try' Atkins and don't really do it right. My Grandmother is one I can think of. She thought she was doing Atkins to a T, but she wasn't losing any weight, in fact a couple weeks she gained weight. We had dinner at her house, and she served green bean casserole, made Campbell's style. and dessert was a sugar free custard pie. It was definitely NOT low carb at 20g per serving. But because it said sugar free, she thought it was low carb.

If you are into reading studies, I believe Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets... [JAMA. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI is a pretty good one, comparing diets. Atkins comes out with the best weight loss, and best increasing in blood-work.

Also, if you tried it for two weeks, what is the worst that could happen during that time? That was what got me to try it back in my mid-twenties.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Atkins can be and is healthy and it's not all high fat...Read the book. It is about eating enough of the right fats along with a healthy amount of carbs to keep your feelings hunger at bay. It starts out strict for those who need to lose fat.
You are what I would consider very low weight for your height and cardio is probably just going to make you feel more hungry and not help you to build up the muscles to look lean...I would advise working with weights...it burns more fat than cardio and is good for maintaining bone health...you could also incorporate weights with cardio.
Please read the book and try if you feel it will help with your eating disorder...if you still have issues I would suggest getting some professional advise as most here are not professionals in this area.
You may suffer from body dismorphic disorder along with your eating disorders.
I really think weights could help you with many of the issues you are concerned about and could be incorporated into your cardio work outs somehow.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote