Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alm430
Stats: 283/158/140
Start Date: March 2010
Weight Gain?

I'm a newbie to this forum, so I'm not sure where to post. After being liberal with my diet some months ago, I decided to do a strict induction as I was stalled. I lost during the first week and a half and was at 156. Then my weight jumped up two pounds and remained there, which I attributed to water weight. I did three weeks of strict induction and am finally on rung 1 of OWL. I took my measurements and weight and my weight went up a pound! I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm getting frustrated! I've been tracking my food intake and everything looks good. I also drink 64+ oz water daily. Maybe I'm overlooking something? Anyone else go through this?
alm430 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
You'll need to post exactly what you are eating each day so those with years of experience can give advice.

Usually something glaring pops up right away that you may not be aware of.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you. I'll post what I've been eating for the past couple days:

Breakfast:
1 piece of bacon (low sodium, sugar fee)
Scrambled eggs with ground turkey and sautéed mushrooms in 1T butter
6oz coffee with 1/2T cream and 2 splenda tabs

Snack:
Pickle Spear

Lunch:
Salad (2 cups of lettuce, ¼ c mushrooms, less than 1/4C of cheddar, and 2T homemade ranch dressing)

Dinner:
1C shredded cabbage with 2T homemade mayonnaise
Baked chicken thigh with skin

--------------

Breakfast:
1 scrambled egg in butter
1/2c pumpkin with 1/4t cinnamon, 1t butter, 2 drops liquid splenda
4oz coffee, 1/2T cream, 1 splenda tab

Lunch:
Tuna sandwich with ½ can of tuna, 2T mayonnaise, two medium oopsie rolls

Snack:
5 green olives
½ pickle spear

Dinner:
Salad with mushrooms, cheese, ranch
Chicken thigh with skin

According to ******, my average calorie intake is 1,250. My average ratios are 75% fat, 18% protein, and 7% carbs. I cannot eat large quantities of food, as I have the lap-band. I also have hypothyroid, but have been taking medication for years and my levels are good.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I would just keep doing what you're doing for now and try not to get frustrated.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: daganh62
Stats: 297/289/218
WOE: Carbnite
Start Date: April 8,2013
What is your bmi. Maybe this is where your body needs to be. If not do you exercise? Also if your eating 1250 and down to 158 your body could be in starvation mode and burning nothing extra
daganh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

My BMI is at 27 presently. I don't exercise as much as I should, but that is likely to change with a lighter work load and nicer weather. As for being in starvation mode, I really don't have a clue. I had the lap-band surgery in 2005 and my calories have been restricted since. That is why 1250 seems about normal, but I may be wrong. I haven't tracked my calories in years.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
You might have just explained your problem... you've been dieting for years. Most people who see huge losses in Induction are coming from a much different diet than you did.

I'm also skeptical that your menu is around 1200 calories. Your added fats are nearly half that. I'm not saying that's BAD. Just saying you may be eating more than you think you are, calorie wise. If you've been on a very low calorie diet (WLS diet) then you might be eating MORE calories, not less, than your previous diet.

Your thyroid issue could be making it harder for you to lose, too.

How is your water intake??

My suggestions...

Get more exercise to create a larger calorie burn and increase muscle mass. If you lose without exercise you lose more lean tissue. The problem with gaining/losing over and over is you lose lean tissue but you only gain back fat. Do that over and over and you end up "fatter" (and larger) at the same weight.

Be sure you're drinking water every day, all day. Don't count, just keep your water glass or bottle beside you and keep sipping, especially since you can't drink large quatities at once. Water is necessary for fat metabolism.

Take 3 or 4 days to weigh/measure and count every single calorie and carbohydrate you eat. It can be a reality check. The weighing and measuring is critical... do not guess. Look up the cal/carbs. Write it down. My gym buddy was complaining that she wasn't losing... I asked her what she was eating. "Not much... just this... and that... and this... and sometimes that... around 1200 cal a day." I convinced her to actually track her intake for a couple of days. She was shocked. WAY over 1200. I'm not say you're doing the same thing... but double check it anyway.

Be patient. This is the hardest one, I know. But you've got a long history of weight issues. Your body probably just needs consistancy at this point. Pick something and stick to it... in this case, low carb.

Also... and this is probably the most important thing. You are only 13# from a normal BMI. I ran the numbers... to have a BMI of 27 and weigh 156 you must be around 5' 3.5" inches tall. You will hit "normal" at 143#. That, my friend, means you are losing the infamous "LAST TEN". Those take forever! Atkins says to expect to lose them at about 1/2" a week. That's 2# a month. You could have started Atkins in OWL. So it's good that you've progressed into it the 3rd week.

You didn't mention age. That can be a factor, too.

Take things slow, be patient, pay attention to the details, get daily exercise (it's not optional if you're on plan) and see what happens with the scale. In the meantime you're getting healthier.

Let us know how things are going, too!!!
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Tril, for the detailed reply! I didn't know that the last 10 pounds can take that long to go! I have been tracking everything I've been eating for the past few days and these are the numbers I'm getting. I drink over 64oz water daily, though I am not sure of the exact amount. Also, I'm 28 years old. I guess I should add more to explain my current situation. Unfortunately studying for finals makes me forgetful sometimes.

My weight hasn't fluctuated much since I had surgery actually. I had the lap-band done in 2005 and lost a total of 120 pounds on that alone, bringing me in the 160 weight range. My band was too tight at one point, so I had half of the fluid removed. That allowed me to eat more and I gained back almost 30 pounds. Eventually I just cut out all grain and sugar as per a suggestion by a doctor and I initially lost 20-30 more pounds. So I've been doing low carb for over 3 years now, but not through a specific plan. My weight has remined in the lower 150's range for that amount of time, but hasn't been this high.

That bring me to now. My boyfriend came home on leave and I ate off plan for about two weeks. I didn't go overboard, but enough to where I knew I'd had to really simplify my eating habits once he left. I decided to follow Atkins plan, as this was similar to how I ate anyway, but just starting over from scratch. I got down to 156 during the first week and a half and then went up to 158 for a week and now I'm stuck around there.

I know weight loss is not linear and there could be other factors, such as sodium intake and hormone fluctations, that might be contributing. I'm going to continue on the way I am and start incorporating more exercise this week. I'll be sure to update when I make more progress! Aagin, thank you for the insight!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
OK then... ALL of what you just said makes perfect sense!!!

Tell your bf "thank you" for serving. My youngest is in the Army.

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.... and GOOD LUCK on those finals!
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote