Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highvibes
Stats: 225/212/145
WOE: Primal-ish
Start Date: March 2013
How do we feel about yogurt?

Years ago I did Atkins and I remember on another forum we were discussing the carbs in yogurt. I remember someone saying they count it as less because the bacteria in yogurt feeds off the lactose/sugar naturally found in yogurt. Thoughts?

I use Astro full fat Balkan Style yogurt but it packs 10g carbs per serving. I also add 2TBSP of ground roasted flax seeds to it and maybe some raspberries, and a packet of Truvia, for a whopping 15g net carbs. That's not a HUGE deal carb-wise but I'm curious.
highvibes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
as far as I am concerned, that is wishful thinking. the yogurt bacteria convert the lactose in the milk into another sort of molecule which is STILL a sugar, as the yogurt is soured and thickened. the original tests only looked for lactose, so they missed the new sugar and mistakenly reported what you remember. the label is not a count of the sugar in the original milk, it's a normal nutrition label and if it says 10 grams, it's 10 grams.

lots of people eat yogurt with no problem, but that's not because it's lower carb than the label says, it's because many people can eat more carbs than they think they can and still be fine.

sorry!

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-08-2013 at 06:48 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
as far as I am concerned, that is wishful thinking. the yogurt bacteria convert the lactose in the milk into another sort of molecule which is STILL a sugar, as the yogurt is soured and thickened. the original tests only looked for lactose, so they missed the new sugar and mistakenly reported what you remember. the label is not a count of the sugar in the original milk, it's a normal nutrition label and if it says 10 grams, it's 10 grams.

lots of people eat yogurt with no problem, but that's not because it's lower carb than the label says, it's because many people can eat more carbs than they think they can and still be fine.

sorry!

*sigh* I was hoping you wouldn't say that but I had a feeling you might. lol

I'm going to add it back in 1/2 servings and see how it goes. I didn't get any particularly nasty sugar cravings today so I think I might be one of those people who might get away with it. I do count calories also (yes I realize I don't have to) so as long as the way I eat keeps my blood sugar stable and cravings at bay, I'm good!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I buy the full fat Fage plain yogurt. I eat 1/8 cup for 2net carbs. I think 1/2cup serving would be plenty at only 4net carbs. I use liquid stevia to sweeten. If you wanted to make a meal of it, adding in some flax seed, cinnamon, or a few strawberries or pecans would be nice too. I just like to get a little taste. Sometimes I add it to my egg cream shake and it is delicious and creamy.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I eat small servings (4 oz max), but not everyday, for the variety.
I favor the full fat plain or maybe with a some blueberries. Sometimes I get reduced fat, but through in a small amount of nuts. Nuts are a huge weakness for me, so I used them as a treat in this way to add some fat to the lower fat yogurt.

The 17 day diet is big on added fermented products, and I am not entirely sure about this, so I add them in small amounts.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I eat small servings (4 oz max), but not everyday, for the variety.
I favor the full fat plain or maybe with a some blueberries. Sometimes I get reduced fat, but through in a small amount of nuts. Nuts are a huge weakness for me, so I used them as a treat in this way to add some fat to the lower fat yogurt.

The 17 day diet is big on added fermented products, and I am not entirely sure about this, so I add them in small amounts for occasional variety.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I love greek yogurt and eat it most days with homemade granola and a few raspberries. I can only find fage 2% or 0% so I dilute the yogurt with some HWC to up the fat.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I think the Astro Balkan style is 6%M.F. and by adding flax (at zero net carbs because of the fibre) it makes a great breakfast with some berries and a packet of Truvia mixed in. I guess I'm just going to try it and see how I do. I'm in Canada, not sure I've ever seen Fage brand.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I have an impossible time finding anything higher than 2% - so annoying! I miss it so bad
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamanni View Post
I have an impossible time finding anything higher than 2% - so annoying! I miss it so bad
Yeah some grocery stores do not stock plain yogurt at all. My food coop, however, has several brands. I used to make it, but out of that routine.

Last edited by Patience; 04-09-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I have to go to a Whole Foods store to get the full fat Fage. I'm sure that if you asked they could special order it for you if they already carry the other Fage products.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I usually have between 2 tbsp-1/3 of a cup after I workout at night for a little protein boost.

I can usually find 2% Fage at Walmart but my favorite is the Greek Gods Plain Traditional Yogurt (Full Fat) so I like to scoop that up when I find it.
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetd
If you live near a Kroger grocery store, they have Kroger brand "carbmaster" yogurt with only 4 net carbs per 6 oz.
sweetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetd View Post
If you live near a Kroger grocery store, they have Kroger brand "carbmaster" yogurt with only 4 net carbs per 6 oz.
I live in Canada, no Kroger here ((

Update: I have been eating 100g of plain Balkan style with 3TBSP of roasted golden flax and 1oz of rasberries or blackberries for a net count of 8-9 carbs depending on the berries I choose. I'm still losing, slowly, but it's worth it for the variety! I love this meal Great breakfast!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Greek Gods is good. For whatever reason considerably less expensive than Fage in the same store.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
When I choose to eat yogurt (and I do, quite often) I read the ingredients list, not just the nutrition label. Greek yogurt has more protein because it's more concentrated... more of the milk whey had been removed. Some brands artificially thicken their products... watch out for those. You'll pay more for the good stuff because it IS the good stuff. I buy plain Greek yogurt (no additives) and add splenda myself.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote